Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Total War: ROME II patch 8.1 hits today

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,140Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited January 2014 in Total War: ROME II

A patch focused on further improving ROME II’s campaign and battle gameplay is now live. Patch 8.1 will download automatically via Steam for ROME II players.

As standard, players should ensure they have any mods uninstalled and have fully restarted Steam before starting the updated game.

A number of campaign parameters have been rebalanced, resulting in a more aggressive and tactically-focused AI. Players will also find opponents raiding their territories more frequently.

The patch also brings new improvements to battle. For example, towers and battering rams are used more effectively, and interact with city walls more realistically. Boiling oil now no longer causes incendiary damage, and the AI now selects the most appropriate artillery type in sieges.

For full details please visit: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_8_1. Work is also now underway on patch 9, which is expected to enter public beta soon.
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• imperiatorimperiator Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited January 2014
  • DodoDodo Banned Posts: 488Banned Users
    edited January 2014
    Second.
    Rome 2 is lost.
    Team 2%
    "rume 2 iz de bast gem in histury lael"
  • VeniVidiVicixVeniVidiVicix Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    If we've done the 8.1 beta, this is the same patch correct? I just want to be sure my friend and I's co-op campaign won't be affected.
  • SotanakkiSotanakki Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I'm impressed by the amount of these patches and the fact that they're not DLC's with a price tag of 25$. Good work
  • KensaiKensai Senior Member Posts: 966Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Thumbs up! :)
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".
  • AudaxAudax Senior Member Posts: 708Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Dodo wrote: »
    Second.
    Rome 2 is lost.
    perfect the exit is over there.

and for the patch.
    FINALLY, i hope you added something for all of this time.
    Nec recisa recedit
  • tuffgong_jamaicatuffgong_jamaica Senior Member Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Are you going to release a DLC to fix carthage ?, because it's really weak :/ , barely no mercenary units.
    Love the life you live, Live the life you love :)
  • dark prensdark prens Senior Member Posts: 302Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I am asking just one question Craig Ca; 8.1 live patch is different than beta? Are you developing 8.1 beta or live and beta version are same?
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,140Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    edited January 2014
    If we've done the 8.1 beta, this is the same patch correct? I just want to be sure my friend and I's co-op campaign won't be affected.

That's right. Maybe a couple of minor changes based on last minute feedback, but essentially the same.
  • RookRook Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    please for the love of God patch multiplayer campaign, not being able to merge units is a freaking pain in the a$$!
  • kfrizz35kfrizz35 Banned Posts: 46Banned Users
    edited January 2014
    CraigTW wrote: »

A patch focused on further improving ROME II’s campaign and battle gameplay is now live. Patch 8.1 will download automatically via Steam for ROME II players.

As standard, players should ensure they have any mods uninstalled and have fully restarted Steam before starting the updated game.

A number of campaign parameters have been rebalanced, resulting in a more aggressive and tactically-focused AI. Players will also find opponents raiding their territories more frequently.

The patch also brings new improvements to battle. For example, towers and battering rams are used more effectively, and interact with city walls more realistically. Boiling oil now no longer causes incendiary damage, and the AI now selects the most appropriate artillery type in sieges.

For full details please visit: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_8_1. Work is also now underway on patch 9, which is expected to enter public beta soon.

If there haven't been any changes to the most recent 8.1 beta, then there's not too much to get excited about. At first it will seem like a vast improvement, but as you play, you still see the same ****: troops not going up ladders, units lagging in huge fights due to pathfinding issues, siege equipment not being used correctly (IE rams doing circles in front of gates).

I wouldn't get too excited. The patch notes look good, but that's about it.

Smoke and mass bodies still cause a LOT of performance issues.

I can't believe you guys are pushing this live today.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Asus G750JW
    Intel I7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPU's), (3.4 @ Turbo)
    12 GB Ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M 2 GB
  • ShinayShinay Senior Member Posts: 277Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Have you people fixed the ballista bug in siege battles?
    if not...ZzZzZzZzZ
  • FrozenmenBGFrozenmenBG Senior Member Posts: 692Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Keep up the good work !!
    This is my +FrozenmenBG+'s Collector's Rome 2 Overhaul Mod Pack Edition In top 8 Highest voted Mod compilations for Rome 2 in the Steam Workshop.

Check out The Barbarian Invasions - Overhaul Mod for the Grand Campaign with 8 New Starting dates(395ad-681ad) mod coming soon to TW: Attila. It adds several new factions to the game with their unique rosters .
  • MaximusDecimus91MaximusDecimus91 Senior Member Posts: 141Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Is COOP Desync fixed?
  • Prince-Of-MacedonPrince-Of-Macedon Senior Member Posts: 525Registered Users
    edited January 2014

Same patch, man.

Hopefully the community's feedback has been listened to and fixes to the beta have been made. However, I'm not holding my breath!
    "I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
    Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

Veni, Vidi, Patchi

Disclaimer: Not the YouTube POM, just an uncreative fan.
  • avVEavVE Senior Member Posts: 185Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I have very poor room for disc space on my PC. This patch is how big exactly? i have 9 GB of free space and i cant seem to update this patch. From what i understand the patch is only 38mb or so big?

Edit: Seems like rome 2 or steam demands that you have atleast 10 GB of free discspace to be able to update the game no matter how small the update is..
  • nick-rorschachnick-rorschach Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I'm actually at the stage now where I would pay more money to make the game work with the AMD 290 series. Can anyone tell me if the game will EVER work with these cards?
  • ConcretePandaConcretePanda Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    My game still doesn't work :(
  • AlainYncaanAlainYncaan Senior Member Augsburg, Bavaria, GermanyPosts: 238Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    avVE wrote: »
    I have very poor room for disc space on my PC. This patch is how big exactly? i have 9 GB of free space and i cant seem to update this patch. From what i understand the patch is only 38mb or so big?
    Jep, it is only 38MB big. Log out and in again from Steam, maybe the download then starts :)
    VIVA
    AUGUSTA VINDELICORUM (AUGSBURG)!
    Finally, it's in the game.

Rome + Metalmusic: Ex Deo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAERweN9Sjo

Babylon + Metalmusic: Melechesh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeIa9gGMJg8&list=PLACA3FB41A5DCCF88

Gaul + Metalmusic: Eluveitie
    http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnqoM9PUg_fQ2Qo_RSc5Ake7oYf5ONx8U

Mainboard
    Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
    CPU
    I5-4690 (3,5-3,9 Ghz)
    GPU
    Palit Jetstream GTX 970 OC
    RAM
    Crucial Ballistic Sports 8GB DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,140Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    edited January 2014
    My game still doesn't work :(

Try uninstalling mods.
  • RealWarfareRealWarfare Senior Member Posts: 2,034Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited January 2014
    Craig, what will be the focus on patch 9? :)
    The best is yet to come
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Posts: 700Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, I can't fault this patch in any way. Looks good :)

I'm rather hoping patch 9 will be the one that does the formation attack and pike fixes that were broke in patch 7
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Forum Historical 'Knowledge': Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Clever Strategy Gamers: +25% Research Rate
  • The janissaryThe janissary Senior Member Posts: 391Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Could you make the AI siege? As in wait a few turns to starve the defender and build more equipment? Right now even if you make the AI more likely to use battering rams, towers etc it will still Instantley attack rendering all these 'improvements' useless.
  • dark prensdark prens Senior Member Posts: 302Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Craig, what will be the focus on patch 9? :)

Yes, this is the day's question. I am really wondering the answer. I hope we will get an answer.
  • avVEavVE Senior Member Posts: 185Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Jep, it is only 38MB big. Log out and in again from Steam, maybe the download then starts :)

the thing that takes up space is not the 38MB. Its something else from Rome 2 that takes up space or "borrows" space as a deposit. I looked into the steamApps folder where there are a downloading folder that is currently over 9GB. What that is i have no idea...
  • DarrenDarren Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I haven't got it yet, I tried logging out of steam and restarting. Still says I'm in the beta and there is no option to update.

Weirdly, shogun updated though.
  • BlessBless Senior Member Posts: 449Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Then was this, good, was going to start a Shogun 2 campaign but i think i'l try a Rome 2 now.
    Darren wrote: »
    Weirdly, shogun updated though.
    Shogun updated here too.
  • jaunetajabejaunetajabe Senior Member Posts: 357Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I am sorry but it is the same as always, AI gets a ladder and try to reach walls,

If AI reachs wall climbs and fight until death or retreat, then all the AI army goes to the gates with the torches
    If AI doesnt reach wall, all the AI army goes to the gates with the torches..

I cannot believe that nobody in CA realises about this during test
    I love this forum
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,739Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the update and for all the work done on the patches. I am also curious about Patch 9, but will wait to see what you guys do. I trust CA will do the right thing. Despite all the negativity directed towards Rome II, some us enjoy it. In many respects, the game is brilliant, and much improved over previous games. Now, back to subjugating the hairy Barbarian hoards.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • TMOS ZealotTMOS Zealot Senior Member Posts: 180Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    The update is great when it comes to the campaign map, the AI is a lot better now. The Siege AI is still utterly broken though, and needs serious improvements. But I have to say that the work in this minor update is actually pretty big when it comes to gameplay, so good work!

Also I really would like to see the return of FFA in MP, please CA :D
    Run for the Hills!