Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Basic Unit Guide.

SevrunSevrun MemberPosts: 55Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
This is a basic guide to the units of Shogun 2, since the encyclopedia doesn't do a very good job of telling you much about their abilities. If any Mods like this, please sticky it.

Yari Ashigaru - Peasants with spears. high body count, low skill, but VERY useful in stopping charges. any charges that don't involve explosives anyway. The key to that is an ability called Spear Wall. It'll typically kill between 30-50% of a Cav unit in the charge, and lose less than 10% in response. Sound like a good trade?? Thought it might.

Bow Ashigaru - Peasants with bows. These units fill the same basic role as bow Samurai which lead to a debate about which is better. If you want more bodies and slower, less accurate fire, then use them as they are much cheaper than the bow Samurai. Caught in field defense they can erect defensive screens. These won't stop archers, but may be useful against matchlock units and force a charge to break up and go around. If you want them to survive the battle, they might be worth looking into. Have to space them manually though, as the screens won't link together from one unit to the next to form a wall.

Bow Samurai - Same role as the bow ashigaru, but more accurate and faster rate of fire per man. also better melee skills, as in can defeat Yari Ashigaru in melee or hold their ground against Yari Samurai but I still wouldn't let them take a cav charge if you want to keep them. Oh, and Fire arrows... :cool:

Yari Samurai - Probably my least favorite Samurai, an anti cavalry unit without a spear wall. They can do the job quite well, however. Rapid Advance ability can give you that added bit of speed needed to shore up a position held by a wavering unit when your general can't rally, or to hold a gate taken by Kisho ninja under stealth

Naginata Samurai - More effective melee warriors than Yari, but they lose some punch in the charge. Arguably the most flexible Samurai unit

Katana Samurai - ok, if these guys need an explanation... Anyway, point them at the enemy, get in close and let them go to work. Few other units can stand up to them in melee.

No-Dachi Samurai - Not a defensive unit, but exceptional at inflicting maximum punishment in minimum time. the Banzai ability accentuates this nicely, use just before charging. be wary of archers, as they have almost no armor. High risk, high reward kind of unit. Use them well and they'll be almost unstoppable, use them poorly... well you get the idea.

Fire Bomb Throwers - Don't know if these guys get a lot of use, but they are useful in some common situations. They can damage castle walls, or blow gates open. However they are also useful in breaking up an infantry charge and causing devastating losses in the process. Just remember to pull them back after the bombing and DON'T let them fire at will afterward, they WILL BLOW UP YOUR OWN PEOPLE.

Mangonels - Man do I like these things, they're relatively accurate given what they're throwing and you don't actually have to hit the enemy to cause morale loss. Down sides are slow movement in the campaign map and limited ammo. When they hit a unit you can be looking at between 3 or 4 losses upward to 30-40 depending on where you hit. Worth looking into if you haven't yet.

Rocket arquebus - A cross between throwers and mangonels, still a longer reach than archers, and mobile, something the mangonels can't say. don't have a lot of experience with these yet.

Kisho Ninja - Think Katana Samurai combined with firebomb throwers, and you get the basic idea. They can go man to man with Katana Samurai or potentially unit to unit if the bombs do enough damage, which they can. Best used in ambush or by activating their stealth ability to capture a gate for units with more numbers to come in unimpeded. Stealth ability lasts about 10 seconds and makes them almost completely invisible.

Monk Units - They're variations of the Naginata and bow units listed above. weaker armor, but better melee skills. So shoot them with arrows (or keep them out of arrow fire if you're using them)

Yari Cavalry - Charge, pull away, charge again. Works best from a flank or the rear.

Katana Cavalry - Charge and hold in melee, but avoid yari infantry. Awesome for making archers an afterthought, or hammering samurai infantry tied up in melee with lesser troops (ashigaru)

Bow Cavalry - More mobile archers, and more expensive. also even fewer in number than the bow samurai... Not my favorite units.

Matchlock units - haven't struck me as terribly effective, too weak a range to combat archers, let them waste their fire on an Ashigaru units and charge them with Cavalry. How to use them? I'd say defensively with bamboo barricades to stop enemies from closing to melee.
Post edited by Sevrun on

Comments

• Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    There's an encyclopedia that has all of this including buildings, hero units, and abilities. It's in-game and accessible anywhere.
  • SevrunSevrun Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I found the explanations there were sometimes rather vague, and says very little about how to actually use them. some are quite obvious... others not so much. It may help people, it may not. Either way it's better than a lot of the bickering I've been seeing about some of them like the archers... almost enough to make me whap people with a rolled up newspaper :p
  • Banzaileader123Banzaileader123 Senior Member Posts: 175Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    @Lucius Brutus
    He explained that above, he's just expanding on what the encyclopaedia says.
    Very helpful Sevrun thanks!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,260Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Personally I think there should an advanced guide, not a basic one. Your descriptions are even more vague than the encyclopedia's.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited March 2011
    Sorry Daelin, you try writing something like that with a wife pulling on your elbow to go look at a new place. I wanted to go more into how to use them since that's where the encyclopedia falls short. Some units I admit to not having a lot of experience with, so I couldn't offer much... others are simple to use, and not much to say. It was acutally the fire bomb throwers description in the encyclopedia and the bombs used by the Kisho ninja that prompted it, since the encyclopedia implies the throwers are only good for sieges. Would have been a bit more fleshed out if it hadn't been so much of an impulse thing.
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Great job, but there are some mistakes and missing info here and there..

Sevrun wrote: »
    Bow Ashigaru - Peasants with bows. These units fill the same basic role as bow Samurai which lead to a debate about which is better. If you want more bodies and slower, less accurate fire, then use them as they are much cheaper than the bow Samurai. Caught in field defense they can erect defensive screens. These won't stop archers, but may be useful against matchlock units and force a charge to break up and go around. If you want them to survive the battle, they might be worth looking into. Have to space them manually though, as the screens won't link together from one unit to the next to form a wall.

Bow Samurai - Same role as the bow ashigaru, but more accurate and faster rate of fire per man. also better melee skills, as in can defeat Yari Ashigaru in melee or hold their ground against Yari Samurai but I still wouldn't let them take a cav charge if you want to keep them. Oh, and Fire arrows... :cool:

Bow Samurai units are more effective. The reason that most people mistake their effectiveness is the numbers. Simply put, Bow Ashigaru are only decent against non-armored unit (low damage and low armor penetration) and useless against armored units (Most Samurai and hero units.

Bow Samurai have high damage and high armor penetration but have high upkeep. So use them to target armored units and generals while Bow Ashigaru take care of other Ashigaru, Monks and No-Dachi.

Naginata Samurai - More effective melee warriors than Yari, but they lose some punch in the charge. Arguably the most flexible Samurai unit

Naginata Samurai are the heaviest unit in the game. They have the highest armor rating and have the slowest walking and running speeds in the game.

No-Dachi Samurai - Not a defensive unit, but exceptional at inflicting maximum punishment in minimum time. the Banzai ability accentuates this nicely, use just before charging. be wary of archers, as they have almost no armor. High risk, high reward kind of unit. Use them well and they'll be almost unstoppable, use them poorly... well you get the idea.

Not good in prolonged melee battles. Their biggest advantage is their charge, but once that effect wears off they are worst than average melee troops. Arguably, the most powerful unit in the game and my favorite :D

Monk Units - They're variations of the Naginata and bow units listed above. weaker armor, but better melee skills. So shoot them with arrows (or keep them out of arrow fire if you're using them)

Naginata Monks have warcry. Warcry reduces the morale of up to 4 surrounding troops, plus reducing their speed and combat abilities. Best used on wavering units to cause chain route. Bow Monks have better range than Bow Ashigaru/Samurai which makes up for their cost in forcing the enemy to leave their defensive position

Great guide
    edited March 2011
    Dark Side wrote: »
    Naginata Samurai are the heaviest unit in the game. They have the highest armor rating and have the slowest walking and running speeds in the game.

I think you can only mean lower stamina (and thus slower by tiring faster), since their speed rating is the same as all other infantry: 4

@Sevrun: If you got some advanced details not found in the encyclopedia you can always contribute tidbits in the FAQ thread. A detailed guide for one unit is better than a large guide with little different information than what is commonly known. Specifically, the gunpowder units are something the FAQ writers know the least about

• KurkistanKurkistan Senior Member Posts: 293Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Added to GttG. I would suggest expanding the guide when you have the time, as well as organizing it (perhaps separating it into bow/melee/siege sections?) and collaborating with daelin4 and Dark Side for more comprehensive unit descriptions.
  • Rastafari_KenRastafari_Ken Senior Member Posts: 903Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Sevrun, for the work. May I suggest you change the colors of the unit titles to something like yellow or light green for aesthetic purposes?
  • Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Matchlock units - haven't struck me as terribly effective, too weak a range to combat archers, let them waste their fire on an Ashigaru units and charge them with Cavalry. How to use them? I'd say defensively with bamboo barricades to stop enemies from closing to melee.
    I like matchlock. They are excellent morale-crushers, hit some ashigaru that are confident-wavering and they will route in the first volley (be sure to hit them in the flanks.) and move on to the next.
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    daelin4 wrote: »
    I think you can only mean lower stamina (and thus slower by tiring faster), since their speed rating is the same as all other infantry: 4

All what you said is true, but I've read here that they are slower:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9064161#post9064161

This is the guy who made the speed reduction mod and he is saying that Naginata Samurai have the lowest value for speed. Donno if this is true or not though
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Darkside for fleshing out some of the areas I didn't know much about, or in a couple cases clear about.
    edited March 2011
    Checked out the link Dark; it doesn't really elaborate on what makes them slow. My best guess ATM is stamina. Someone can try making them run and see if they do indeed move slower than other units.

• AbstractBlueSkyAbstractBlueSky Senior Member Posts: 111Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    <3 Matchlock rifles. Extreme morale breakers. I've had them stumble a cavalry charge more than once. Broke the morale for ashigaru after one volley. Chain them with bow monks, and you have awesome ranged staying power.
    - A moment of silence for our friends, family, and acquaintances in Japan. -
    - Our thoughts are with you. We pray for the best. -
    - Hang in there. -
  • Sobu-SanSobu-San Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Sorry but this guide here doesnt offer more information than the CA guides. For example there are hardcounter and softcounter to each unit type. E.X. katana beats naginata beats yari (all for inf)
    There are plenty of those infos around and that I would consider a guide. Anyway thx for the work.
  • ultrariloultrarilo Senior Member Posts: 107Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Sevrun. Good stuff!
  • LouieLouie Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    very useful for newbie to take an overview.