Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Frequently Asked Questions and Game Fixes

2»

Comments

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,513
    edited June 2010
    Question # 30: I hate rebels! Can I mod them away?

Answer # 30: Yes! To mod this, you have to be playing v1.5/v1.6. You need to modify the descr_strat.txt (found in Rome - Total War/data/world/maps/imperial_campaign). Make a backup copy of that file. Then open it and find this line near the top:

brigand_spawn_value 10

Raise the number "10" to something higher. The higher you go the less likely you are to see pop-up rebels.

This only takes effect when you start a new campaign.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited June 2010
    Question # 31: How do I get 1st cohorts?

Answer # 31: You sometimes get 1st cohorts as rewards for completing Senate missions. The only way to build 1st cohorts in RTW is to capture the city of Rome and build the highest level barracks.

edited June 2010
    Question #32: In my Barbarian Invasions campaign, the Goths' capital rebelled, but no Ostrogoth faction emerged; the city just went Rebel and had Ostrogoths in the brackets. What happened, and how do you get the real Yellow-colored Ostrogoths?

Answer #32: To get Ostrogoths, take the province left of your capital, when that rebels Ostrogoths appear, not if your capital rebels, only that province.

edited June 2010
    Question # 33: When Do the Marian Reforms Occur?

Answer # 33: This depends on what version of the game you are playing.

In v1.0, the reforms occur sometime after a Roman faction builds an Imperial Palace.

In v1.2, the reforms occur sometime after a Roman faction builds an Imperial Palace in Italy. The reforms cannot occur before some date (220 BC if I recall correctly) but that there is also only a *probability* of them occurring each turn thereafter. It is not automatic and can be many years before they finally trigger. (Thanks for reminding me of this, Red Harvest).

In v1.3 and v1.5, the reforms occur automatically once a Roman faction builds an Imperial Palace in Italy.

edited June 2010
    Question # 34(a): I am playing RTW v1.0 or v1.2. I wanted to remove the green arrows that show up when I select a unit, how do I do this?

Answer # 34(a): To do this for RTW v1.0 or v1.2, you need to open your Rome - Total War folder. Now open the preferences.txt file. Now look for the line
    “DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:False”
    and change it to read
    “DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:TRUE”
    Now save and close the file. Done. (Thanks to Frogbeastegg for some of this text)

Question # 34(b): I am playing RTW v1.3 or v1.5. I wanted to remove the green arrows that show up when I select a unit, how do I do this?

Answer # 34(b): To do this for RTW v1.3 or v1.5, you need to open your Rome - Total War folder. Now open the preferences folder. Now open the preferences.txt file. Now look for the line
    and change it to read
    Now save and close the file. Done. (Thanks to Frogbeastegg for some of this text)

Question #34(c): I am playing BI. I wanted to remove the green arrows that show up when I select a unit, how do I do this?

Answer # 34(c): To do this for BI, you need to open your Rome - Total War folder. Now open the bi folder. Now open the preferences folder. Now open the preferences.txt file. Now look for the line
    and change it to read

edited June 2010
    Question #35: I just bought the gold edition and I'd like to know if and what patch I should install.

Answer #35: At this point in time, you do not need to install any patches. The Gold Edition comes fully upgraded with v1.5 and v1.6.

Edit - Update! It looks like you will need to update #35. In North America there seems to have been some sort of mix up with the wrong versions (RTW 1.5 and BI 1.4) being mixed together in the same box. Folks are saying the gold edition is coming with BI 1.4. So they need to install the 1.6 patch. (Thanks Red Harvest!)

edited June 2010
    Question #36: How do I stop the cutscenes to the general's death, gate being broken down, etc? These changes of position and zooms are preventing me from issuing orders.

Answer #36. Find the preferences.txt file in the bi folder and change the
    "EVENT_CUTSCENES:TRUE"
    setting to
    "EVENT_CUTSCENES:FALSE"
    Note that there are two preferences.txt files in different folders now, so if you add/change this in one and it doesn't work, then find the other one and try it.

edited June 2010
    Question #37: My soldiers get stuck in seige tower entrances when battling on large stone walls. What do I do, what do I do???

Answer #37: Best possible workaround is this. When soldiers get stuck, order them to go outside the tower and right after that order them back to the walls.

Repreat that as many times as needed. Every time some soldiers will get through the tower entrace. Eventually there will be enough soldiers in the tower for them to start invading walls.

P.S.
    Doesn't help with stuck AI though.

EDIT:
    Now I think there is actually a better workaround. Instead ordering troops to go outside, just order them to stop and then to get back to walls. It's even faster if you use "backspace" as shortcut for stop order (less chance for error).

edited June 2010
    Question # 38: Where can I find a map of the RTW world?

Answer # 38: Right here

Thank you to "Tito Labieno" from the italian community for this resource.

edited June 2010
    Question #39: How can I defeat Chariots in the RTW Imperial Campaign? They slaughter my troops!

Answer #39: Defeating chariots is deceptively simple. First tip is not to allow the Chariots to attack isolated units; isolated units panic and rout at the sight of Chariots, Elephants and certain other intimidating units.

Second tip is create a steady, deep battle line, supported from behind by archers or other missile troops. Flaming arrows will work wonders, hopefully either causing heavy casualties or making the Chariots run amok.

If Chariots attack your line, the initial impact will probably be costly for your infantry, but if you swamp the engaged Chariots with decent heavy infantry or phalanx/hoplite/spear units, the low defence rating of the Chariots will cause their speedy demise. Don't use cavalry against chariots unless you absolutely, positively have to, as the spurs of the Chariot wheels devastate your horses.

However, it may be early in the game when you first face Chariots and you may not have access to decent infantry or archers. Your best bet in this case is to use skirmisher units such as Peltasts, Velites and the like. Set to a loose formation, they can absorb the impact well enough (if they aren't too isolated from your main body of troops) and their returning missile fire should cause damage. If you can, rush the Chariots with your infantry, as mentioned above.

Edit - Remember that flaming arrows only work wonders against scythed chariots and elephants - regular chariots do not run amok. So, you might as well use regular arrows against units that do not run amok.

Furthermore, most skirmisher units have a +6 attack bonus against chariots (and elephants). This applies whether they are using their missile weapons or their melee weapons.

edited June 2010
    Question #40: How do I defeat phalanxes?

Answer # 40: Well, first of all, you need to know the weaknesses of the phalanx formation. For starters, its flanks and rear are very vulnerable. A phalanx is also very slow, as it cannot run when in phalanx formation. And last but not least, a phalanx usually has a weak secondary sword attack. Greek phalanxes (hoplites, armoured hoplites) usually have good armour and shields, but Macedonian phalanxes have sacrificed this protection for longer pikes (sarissas), so they have lower defence statistics.

Considering these weaknesses, how should you engage a phalanx army? First, make sure you have plenty of missile troops. As said before, phalanxes are slow, so it's possible to do quite a lot of damage to them before they reach your lines. Every one of your armies should have a good combination of pila equipped infantry (hastati/principes/legionary cohorts) and archers/velites/slingers. If the enemy has cavalry, make sure you have more and better cavalry and take out theirs as quickly as possible. An unsupported phalanxes is very vulnarable. Put your pila equipped infantry on 'guard' and 'fire at will' and they should be able to throw two volleys of javelins before they are engaged by the phalanxes. When your units are engaged in hand-to-hand combat, attack the phalanxes' unprotected rear and flanks, either with cavalry or with infantry you've kept in reserve. Focus on the phalanxes at the end of the line. Once you've routed the left or right flank of a phalanx line, the rest will usually follow and the field is yours.

Of course, it is possible that you don't have missile troops and/or cavalry. Then it is usually wise to reduce the depth of your hastati/principes/legionary cohort formation from four men to three men. Put your troops on 'guard' and 'fire at will' and let the phalanxes come to you. When engaged in hand-to-hand combat, take your troops off guard mode and attack. Your men will now, because of their longer battle line, curl around the phalanx and cut it to pieces.

One more word of advice: when fighting phalanxes in a city, it's incredibly effective to attack them with missiles from the city walls. Especially pila thrown from the walls can cause massive casualties and almost instant routs! Don't worry about phalanx troops defending walls: they can only attack with their swords when fighting on walls and, as said above, their sword attack is usually not that good.

This is how Olmsted deals with phalanxes as the Brutii:

1. Start with a well balanced army. Mine was 4 velites, 4 hastati, 4 principes, 2 triarii, 2 equites, 2 Cretan archers, 1 random unit (usually barb merc cavalry) and 1 general.

I line up like this, initially:
    velitesvelitesvelitesvelites
    {{hastati}{hastati}{hastati}{hastati}}
    (principes)(principes)(principes)(principes)
    ******triarii************triarii******
    =Equites=+Barb Cav+%General%=Equites=

2. I use my general and the cavalry units to defeat all the enemy cavalry. I mass all 4 on one flank, then smash the enemy cavalry on that flank one at a time. Then I ride behind the enemy line and take out the general, then the cavalry on the other flank.

3. Then I use my cavalry to take out all long-range missile units, then any peltasts.

4. Now the phalanx has been isolated. It is still a tough opponent, but it is much easier to deal with. Now I usually concentrate my arrow fire on the most vulnerable parts of the phalanx. I try not to waste arrows on the most heavily armored units. I also try to hit the enemy units from the unshielded side.

5. I keep my cavalry behind the enemy line, but do not engage.

6. Now I march up my hastati until they are in javelin range and let them throw their javelins. Then I do the same with the principes. Then I charge - sending one hastati and one principes unit against each enemy unit. If an enemy unit turns to attack them, I hit them in the flank with my triarii.

7. If the hastati and principes don't break them quickly, I charge in with velites - preferably from the rear, but anywhere will do.

8. If all else fails, I charge from behind with cavalry - but only against units engaged in melee. As soon as the charge stops moving I withdraw, pause and then charge again. Do not leave the cavalry engaged in melee.

Using these tactics, I've never lost a battle between one of my full stacks and any number of enemies (worst battle was against nearly three full stacks of Greeks, including some Spartans).

edited June 2010
    Question #41: How do I see if I made a modding mistake? I tried adding all factions and now the game CTDs or won't load.

Answer #41: Right click your RTW icon, then select properties, then find the target line.

Add a space then -show_err

So that it looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Open the game using that icon, then try to play as one of the broken factions. It will take you to the single player menu still, but this time when you exit the game it will display an error message. Write down that error location and go figure out what is wrong in the file that is listed. Thank you to Marly for writing most of this out.

edited June 2010
    Question #42: Where is the best place for my capital?

Answer#42: Use this handy tool to determine where to place your capital

edited June 2010
    Question #43: Where can I find a list of traits/retinue for my generals, and their effects?

Answer #43: Open your hard drive, open program folder, open "The Creative Assembly", open Rome Total War folder, open data folder, open "export_descr_ancillaries" for retinue and their effects. For traits-follow the same path, open the data folder as before but instead of opening the "export_descr_ancillaries", open "export_descr_character_traits" for the traits your officers can learn and their effects.

edited June 2010
    Question #44: Can I attack ships in an enemy port?

Answer #44: Yes. You'll notice that when you try to attack an enemy ship in a port, it just puts up a blockade around the port. But, if you select all the unit cards for the ships in your fleet, so that they are all highlighted, then you can click on it to attack and it will bring up the battle menu. Then you can autoresolve. If you surround the port completely, then the enemy ship will always sink and won't escape.

edited June 2010
    Question # 45: What exactly determines how many bodyguards my generals have?

Answer # 45: The number of bodyguards is affected by two factors: influence (wreaths) and personal security. It is not affected by age, experience, command stars or management scrolls. Some traits (watchful, scant trust etc.) or retainers (pet lion, gladiator etc.) give extra security and thus extra bodyguards. Faction leaders and faction heirs usually have a huge amount of influence and many traits linked to personal security, which explains why they have a lot more bodyguards than your avarage generals.

Units of general's bodyguards automatically replace their losses. Retraining is not necessary. Severous wrote about this:

"General units replace losses at the rate of half its shortfall per turn. If it has 12 men out of a normal size of 24 it will regain 6 after one turn then 3 more next turn..and so on until it reaches full strength. Adding a single influence to an already full strength unit will take two or three turns to see the full effect."

Thanks, Sev!

edited June 2010
    Question # 46: I am having trouble winning battles. What are some basic tactics and formations I can use to win?

Answer # 46: A balanced army of cavalry, infantry, skirmisher/archer is good for beginning while you're trying to figure out what tactic suits you the best (You can change your army composition to suit your fighting style once you figure out what it is). Four basic tactics for a balanced army are
    1) Double Envelopment
    2) Using a wedge to punch through the center
    3) Focus forces to crush the enemy on one flank and echelon back the other
    4) Circle/square

edited June 2010
    Question #47:I can't seem to be able to open the game console. How do I enable it?

Answer #48: There has been some reports of the debug console not working for some players. This is a set of instructions that worked for me, and hopefully applies to all users who have this issue.
    This involves modifying a game file. Remember to backup any prior to attempting changes as a precaution!

Step 1: Go to your Rome Total War directory and search for a file named descr_shortcuts. The location should be "your directory\Rome - Total War\data\text", where "your directory" is the general path of where your game is installed. It is a .txt file, and this should be readable with notepad or wordpad.

Step 2: Once opened, it will display a list of text.

Step 3: Find a line named "misc" using the search feature, and you should come across this:
    misc
    inc_scale F2
    dec_scale F3
    toggle_unit_visibility F3 CTRL hidden
    select_all A CTRL
    select_siege B CTRL
    select_infantry I CTRL
    select_cavalry C CTRL
    select_missile M CTRL
    select_melee H CTRL
    select_next TAB
    select_prev TAB SHIFT
    deselect_all ENTER
    hide_gui SCROLL_LOCK hidden
    show_console GRAVE_ACCENT
    toggle_sfx S ALT
    toggle_music M ALT
    show_help F1
    quit ESC hidden
    reveal_advice Z
    dismiss_advice X
    screen_grab SYSRQ
    end
    Step 4: Now you should see the "show_console" line- if a line that says "hidden" beside it (see the hide_gui line right above it for an example), simply delete that line. In the example above this is already done.

Step 5: Now simply save the file.

Step 6: Now simply boot up Rome Total War, go to Options, and using the arrows at the top corner of the screen navigage the option menu to view the Miscellaneous commands. Click to reset to default keys.

Doing this should now show the debug_console command, since you have made the game show it rather than keep it hidden.

Step 7: Simply bind a key for opening the console. This should now solve the problem!

Step 8: If you are having problems modifying the file, this could be because it's attribute is set to Read-Only. YOu need to right click it, go to properties, and uncheck the Read-Only attribute shown in the properties window. For Mac Users, Cntl+Click or Right Click to bring up the Get Info Window, and the checked box for "Stationery Pad" is the Apple equivalent. Information taken from here

• DeathscytheDeathscythe Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Can Rome Total War on a Mac play online against a user playing on a Windows computer? And can the Alexander expansion be downloaded on the Mac and if so where can I get it?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    edited September 2010
    Question #49: Why must I built a road in Agusta Vindelicorum, when there is already a road in the Raetia region on the campaign map and how do I fix it?

This map fix has the best result if it's fixed before you start a new game. Locate this file:

<path>\Rome - Total War\BI\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat.txt
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Raetia

year_founded 1
    population 5504
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator empire_west
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks militia_barracks
    }
    building
    {
    type temple_of_mithras temple_of_mithras_shrine
    }
    building
    {
    type defenses wooden_wall
    }
    }
    Answer #49: Between the type barracks and the type temple should there be a type road.

Edit the file in notepad and copy this text:
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }

Paste it the text between these lines:
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    }
    Make sure the edit file has these lines for the Raetia settlement is shown below and save the file.
    Don't forget the spaces from the left of each line.

<path>\Rome - Total War\BI\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion\descr_strat
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Raetia

year_founded 1
    population 5504
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator empire_west
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    }

building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    type defenses wooden_wall
    }
    }
    You can check this map fix through a new game and select the Western Roman Empire faction.
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,194
    edited October 2010
    1 post removed as it was not an FAQ.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread like the M2TW FAQ thread. If anyone wishes to post a further FAQ and solution, PM me.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
This discussion has been closed.