Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

How to get more income in Shogan 2 and what does other income mean?

BlanchflowerBlanchflower Senior MemberPosts: 143Registered Users
edited April 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
OK, I am pretty much struggling in increasing my finances. The question is, how do I get more income from my towns and what does other income mean? I am a newbie in this game and I really want to increase the size of my army without going into bankruptcy!

Thanks!
Post edited by Blanchflower on

Comments

• mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,033Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Trade, trade nodes, ports, merchants and farms. All increase your income.

Try to leave the tax at minimal, since it not only lowers your unrest but your population growth increases and your towns grow faster. More people and bigger towns=more tax revenue.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • MadaeMadae Senior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    mmurray821 wrote: »

Try to leave the tax at minimal, since it not only lowers your unrest but your population growth increases and your towns grow faster. More people and bigger towns=more tax revenue.

If you can get away with minimal, sure... but, with some of the more difficult clans, I'm usually strapped for cash until late in the game. I say keep it at normal, and every once in awhile, switch it on high or very high - though that would depend on the current situation of your lands. Newly conquered territories will rebel easy, usually after one turn if they are upset, because of taxes. But for the most part, and if they are your primary lands or have been in your possession awhile, you can get away with taxing them with very high for one turn and then waiting awhile to do it again.

Unrest doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for me, as I have yet to have a town rebel on me for anything short of being a recently conquered territory, and that's only if my army gets beat pretty bad and I don't have enough troops to go through the season without finishing repairs. On the whole, it doesn't feel like it's nearly as important as it was in previous TW games.

Certain buildings also increase revenue (sake dens come to mind).
  • BlanchflowerBlanchflower Senior Member Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited March 2011

Thanks. So does trade come in automatically when I build a trade ship?
    edited March 2011
    Also, how do I trade if I am at war with ALL the clans. They would not definitely trade with me. For example, I conquered Kyoto and all the clans were against me!
  • Dark SideDark Side Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    No. You have to put your trade ships on trade nodes (golden icons with an anchor sign on the east and north parts of Japan). And even then, they don't generate money for you directly. Trade nodes generate commodities that you can trade with your trade partners. So basically they increase your trade income from trade partners.

There is a mod on TWCenter that works around the Realm Divide feature that allows you to keep your closest allies and vassals even after Realm Divide triggers. It is worth installing if you are facing economy problems with it.
    edited March 2011
    So should I place my trade ship there permanently on the trade nodes? Then what about land trade? Do they have nodes as well?
  • Dark SideDark Side Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    As long as you have trade partners it is almost always better to have trade ships on trade nodes (the only exception when your total income from trade partners is lower than the upkeep costs of your trade fleet and their protection fleet which is pretty rare).

There are no land trade nodes. There are trade resources in some regions (horses, iron, wood, stone, crafts). Those act the same way as trade nodes but you have to build upgrades to get more of each resource instead of putting more trade ships.
  • SatchSatch Senior Member Posts: 267Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I was struggling for quite a while with my income, i decided to build up an army, go close to bankrupt and then on the verge of being ******ed i just rushed 3 towns at once. After I had the 3 new towns my income went from about 20 per season to around 3000. Best way to do it (other than trade, upkeep etc) is to raid a few towns and control them.
    - SatcH

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • Maurice76Maurice76 Senior Member Posts: 373Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Madae wrote: »
    But for the most part, and if they are your primary lands or have been in your possession awhile, you can get away with taxing them with very high for one turn and then waiting awhile to do it again.

Actually, I disadvice doing this. Everytime you raise your tax level too high, you incur a rather high penalty to growth in town wealth - both during the turn it's turned high as well as during the turn it's back to normal again (due to discontent). The short-term money yield might be nice, but the detrimental effects on the long run hurts more than you gained. Keep in mind that any penalty actually piles up through the subsequent turns in the form of lost tax income.
  • james7504james7504 Member Posts: 107Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    i create a market - that i do not upgrade as i dont want to lose food - which does 2 important things 1: market brings in money 2: most importantly allows me to make a metsuke who i then use to oversee the town.

Metsuke in your town will gain xp and level up just by being in the town. You can increase his abilities and get retainers to help his administration as he levels. Metsuke also keep an eye on the populace - keep them inline and help increase happyness (particularly useful if you take a town from an enemy and put your most experienced metsuke straight in - he will get public order under control quickly and without need for a large garrison) and can spot enemy agents anywhere in thier province from the town (sometimes).
  • MolaconMolacon Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Blanchflower - Here is the link for the realm divide mod in case you want it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436082.

You should keep in mind that the mod won't work if you've already experienced realm divide, and it sounds like you have.
  • MadaeMadae Senior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Maurice76 wrote: »
    Actually, I disadvice doing this. Everytime you raise your tax level too high, you incur a rather high penalty to growth in town wealth - both during the turn it's turned high as well as during the turn it's back to normal again (due to discontent). The short-term money yield might be nice, but the detrimental effects on the long run hurts more than you gained. Keep in mind that any penalty actually piles up through the subsequent turns in the form of lost tax income.

If you continue conquering lands, there's really little impact on your gameplay. In fact, I have not noticed anything wrong with it. By the end game, I usually have to much money and nothing to spend it on. The early game is the other way around. It's not hurting anything to do it this way except a few hundred gold more in the late game.

On the other hand - do the math and convince me.
    edited April 2011

If I put 2 or more trade ships in a single trade node, will I get more income? Or if I put my trade ships in different nodes, does getting more income help?

Thanks!
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,033Moderators
    edited April 2011
    If I put 2 or more trade ships in a single trade node, will I get more income? Or if I put my trade ships in different nodes, does getting more income help?

You do, but get diminishing returns with each ship until the entire cost of the fleet upkeep is more than the trade you pull from the node. In ETW and NTW, this reached parity around 5 ships. I haven't done the math for S2TW, but I have found that two trade ships per node seems to maximize my profits. Mid game I am usually pulling down 3500-4000 per turn with 4-5 full stacks to attack and 2-3 cheap garrison units in every city and have my taxes set to Low.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • General OdaGeneral Oda Senior Member Posts: 379Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    If your building up your army and you have a sufficient number of troops, you should raise taxes while keeping all the provinces happy. This way you can get more money for upkeep and building your economy. This is essential in the beginning, and once you are ready to conquer another castle, lower the taxes since the repression from the troops would be gone. I usually have the tax level at high when I can, and before I attack i lower it back to normal.
    edited April 2011
    And finally, what does other income refer to? Is the value of 1,200 fixed forever? Thanks!
  • Maurice76Maurice76 Senior Member Posts: 373Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    If your building up your army and you have a sufficient number of troops, you should raise taxes while keeping all the provinces happy. This way you can get more money for upkeep and building your economy. This is essential in the beginning, and once you are ready to conquer another castle, lower the taxes since the repression from the troops would be gone. I usually have the tax level at high when I can, and before I attack i lower it back to normal.

The higher your tax rate, the lower your Wealth Growth in your provinces. In fact, the penalty to Wealth Growth will quickly ramp up and destroy the local economy of all your provinces. While it may be nice for a money boost in the short run, you'll hurt yourself in the long run by doing so.

Only use it if you're really in need of money and you can't wait for a few more turns to have it trickle in.
  • KessenKessen Senior Member Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Instead of looking at ways to boost your income, you'll need to look at your expenses as well. Disbanding units you don't really need anymore will equate to an immediate income boost.
  • spicykoreanspicykorean Senior Member Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    And finally, what does other income refer to? Is the value of 1,200 fixed forever? Thanks!

I think other income is money from raiding trade routes and buildings such as gold mines which give you a fixed amount of wealth per turn.

Can anyone confirm pls?