Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

BUYERS BEWARE - re: Brady Games Shogun 2 Guide

Gray_LensmanGray_Lensman Senior MemberPosts: 143Registered Users
edited April 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
Just purchased the new Brady Games Shogun2 e-book strategy guide thru STEAM. For the comparable full price of a PRINTED Strategy guide you ONLY get a link ON the Steam page to access the guide VIA the STEAM site. There is no .PDF to print out or even anything downloaded into the .../SteamApps/... location on your PC to find and print out and/or store on a Smartphone for easy access.

When I'm online thru STEAM I play the Total War games. I read manuals/e-books regarding STEAM published games when I'm offline and generally when I don't have internet access.

This is acceptable for e-books priced reasonably lower then print books like Kindle Books but for an e-book fully priced or nearly fully priced compared to its printed version it's not acceptable and is a rip off. My $02.

edit> Support moderators... though I stand by my comments above... I believe I accidentally started this thread in the wrong forum. You might move it to the main forum or the News and Announcements forum. Sorry.
Post edited by Gray_Lensman on

Comments

• RaggzRaggz Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I bought it to and it's the worst ever. You have to constantly download pages and it's slow as hell. A total rip off from steam. Do not buy!
    System
    I7 4930K CPU
    16Gb Kingston Beast 2400MHz
    Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Asus GTX Titan SLI
    Fortron Aurum 1000w PSU
  • DribbsDribbs Senior Member Posts: 1,270Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Dribbs wrote: »
    Looks like there is going to be an eGuide for Shogun 2 though ...
    http://www.bradygames.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0744013038

Personally, I think these guides are a rip off. They contain information that should be in the manual anyway. They're usually not all that comprehensive. And most importantly, the information they contain is available on the internet for free (and often in more detail). There is loads of information on this forum and on other fan sites. For starters, check out the (sticked) Guide to the Guides thread ...
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/8404-Guide-to-the-Guides-(Total-War-Shogun-2)
    Well, I hate to say I told you so ;)
  • Gray_LensmanGray_Lensman Senior Member Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Raggz wrote: »
    I bought it to and it's the worst ever. You have to constantly download pages and it's slow as hell. A total rip off from steam. Do not buy!

I found the information to be somewhat interesting however...

It's possible to make up a .PDF file screenshot by screenshot but it's a lot of work.

I won't be buying another e-guide off the STEAM site however... Too much trouble..

edit> deleted the details of how to make a PDF... might not be kosher to publicly post them. Sorry.
  • DarKDarK Tech Moderator Posts: 639Tech Moderators
    edited March 2011
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,057Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Good to know about the guide. Thanks.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • TobyTheRobotTobyTheRobot Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    To be fair, if the guide was available in .pdf it would be on bittorrent almost instantly.
  • KenjiroKenjiro Senior Member Posts: 142Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    To be honest guys, you all need a brady guide on this game? The encylopedia provided in the game tells a lot of what you need to know in the game already.

Strategies provided in these kind of guides, is rather sketchy at best except they may give you a colorful map or something. Colorful explanation on what a Ashigaru foot is etc.... Tell me something i dun know.

The only time a guide is needed i reckon would be for games like Final Fantasy series.

Anyway since it is PDF format only, it is nice for the OP to warn the other potential buyers.
  • RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    the last game i bought a guide for was for homeworld like 12 years ago lol.
  • Gray_LensmanGray_Lensman Senior Member Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Kenjiro wrote: »
    To be honest guys, you all need a brady guide on this game? The encylopedia provided in the game tells a lot of what you need to know in the game already.

Strategies provided in these kind of guides, is rather sketchy at best except they may give you a colorful map or something. Colorful explanation on what a Ashigaru foot is etc.... Tell me something i dun know.

The only time a guide is needed i reckon would be for games like Final Fantasy series.

Hey it's something to read when you're not able to play...
    Anyway since it is PDF format only, it is nice for the OP to warn the other potential buyers.

Read it closer... Its not even in .PDF format, but mine is almost half way there... Would of been done by now by Nicole Kidman is distracting me ... Days of Thunder... Now there's an Aussie to remember!
  • SkunkOneSkunkOne Banned Posts: 333Banned Users
    edited March 2011
    Not that this would help much but if you hit shift tab, you can open a internet browser in game to look at it. I understand you are saying it is just a plain pos but atlest this fixes the problem of alt tabing to look at random bs pages and stuff. Why would you buy a guide any way? No offense just wondering.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,300Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Is the content even worth the 16 bucks? Looks like its just an expanded Manual with just as little detail
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • SkunkOneSkunkOne Banned Posts: 333Banned Users
    edited March 2011
    NO idea have not bought it my info was jsut about a way to see it while playing.
  • MidnightInsomniaMidnightInsomnia Senior Member Posts: 233Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Wait........there are still idiots who buy and use Brandy game "guides"?

-____-

Guys just use gamefaqs. It is written by people who have actually played the game for more than 10 hours, and it's completely free.
  • RaggzRaggz Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Wait........there are still idiots who buy and use Brandy game "guides"?

Nice and informative post. Wonder who's the real idiot!
    System
    I7 4930K CPU
    16Gb Kingston Beast 2400MHz
    Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Asus GTX Titan SLI
    Fortron Aurum 1000w PSU
  • ZarthZarth Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Why do you guys need these guides o_o. just play the campaign a couple of times ;s and you'd get the basics down.
  • kaalitenohirakaalitenohira Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    what really annoys me in all honesty is that the encyclopedia in the game doesn't explain unit stats, unit construction time or base cost, and the same for buildings. Some "encyclopedia." ¬,¬¤
    it would be nice if it also showed the hidden stats like movement range on the map, 'next level' for unit xp (or stat growth in general from xp), and anything else I might be forgetting.

Case in point: ships in the encyclopedia don't show ANYTHING that their unit card in the game shows. Both of these facets should honestly be consolidated. I should be able to mouse over a unit and see everything it is right now. I should only need to encyclopedia it if I want to know the cost, growth, construction time, or range of movement. The rest I should get at-a-glance. Even if the "in-battle" card was simplified so I could quickly make a decision about what to do strategically, on the campaign map there's really no excuse.

edit: a lot of work in hex-editing has been done on the twc forums by Agostinos and me (Rubeus), maybe I'll just get around to notepadding all the units and post that. If anyone's decent with HTML maybe we could make a modded encyclopedia? they have a neat region one out already.
  • Varus2319Varus2319 Senior Member Posts: 388Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    The gaming industry has always been a race to the bottom. Developers and platforms competing to see how little they can give us for the most money we will pay them.

It's sad, but true. This is a pretty good example of not getting anything close to what you expect.
  • DaviusDavius Senior Member Posts: 518Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Even a printed version is usually based on a prerelease version of the game.

I find they give you a decent jump start but after a campaign or two you really don't need them.
  • minimaestrominimaestro Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    I shan't be buying. I make use of the encyclopedia and make my own notes as I progress and learn from my mistakes!!
  • CarnagejcCarnagejc Senior Member Posts: 569Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    good thing I dont need a book to teach me how to play :P Unfortunate for the OP though.
    Look, east the river flows
    Waves rolling over a thousand heroes
    Smile, at this mountainous land
    Victory and defeat lost in dust and sand
  • KensaiKensai Senior Member Posts: 966Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Nonetheless, it's a big advantage that you can access this "Guide" through the link INTO the game (via Steam's Shift+Tab). Very convenient.

I won't go as far to say that the e-guide was total junk, I found some useful information in there (especially as a reference guide) but I do as well believe the price was a little bit high for what you eventually acquire.
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".