Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dacia/Thracia

Thaddeus_1Thaddeus_1 BannedPosts: 1Banned Users
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
So...when is it? :D

I think we all have been waiting for the awesome 2 handed weapon wielding warriors :)
Post edited by Thaddeus_1 on

Comments

• HastatHastat Senior Member Posts: 494Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    "When its ready"
  • Lemonater47Lemonater47 Senior Member Posts: 3,372Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I didn't know they wore their weapons as well as wield them.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,551Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    You forgot Illyria.
  • golangolan Senior Member Posts: 1,392Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    What did "Illyrians" do? Dacians were formidable enough opponents for Rome, enough for them to be compelled to burn down their cities, just like they did with Carthage. They should get a lot more attention. The end game units and capabilities should be more advanced. The Biephi should retain their Celtic influence, while the Getae should have more greek influences. We should have at least one faction in the area if not these two capable of forming a Thracian confederacy. The Odryssian kingdom have an interesting roster already.
    Remember! Rome Wasn't Patched In a Day... Uhm, that's the way the saying goes, right?

TW Track:
    • SP/MP ratio = 95/5.
    • Preferred campaign difficulty: Normal/Hard (Very Hard in Rome2).
    • Preferred vanilla battle difficulty: Very Hard (Normal in Shogun2).
    • Vanilla/Mods ratio = 40/60 (Rome2 track = 90% mods).
    • Mods: EB, RTR, R1DM, SSteel, M2DM, DME, S2DM, Radious R2, DeI, Constantine
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 680Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    golan wrote: »
    What did "Illyrians" do? .

Hmm... lets see. The most renown pirates of this period, forged formidable kingdoms, made puppets out of Macedonian kings, designed the ship that was widely used by Rome, inhabited a large area right across the Adriatic, fought three wars with Rome and to top it all off gave Rome the "Hardest fought war since the Second Punic one" to quote Suetonius.

Oh and lets not forget that later in the Roman Empire, some of the best legions were recruited in Illyria and about 12 Illyrians managed to become Emperors (Diocletian, Constantine, Justinian, etc).

Hope that answers your question.
  • OcelotOcelot Senior Member Posts: 320Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Suliot wrote: »
    Hmm... lets see. The most renown pirates of this period, forged formidable kingdoms, made puppets out of Macedonian kings, designed the ship that was widely used by Rome, inhabited a large area right across the Adriatic, fought three wars with Rome and to top it all off gave Rome the "Hardest fought war since the Second Punic one" to quote Suetonius.

Oh and lets not forget that later in the Roman Empire, some of the best legions were recruited in Illyria and about 12 Illyrians managed to become Emperors (Diocletian, Constantine, Justinian, etc).

Nice post. They were also involved in King Philip of Macedon's (not Alexander's father, but a later king) campaigns in Greece, where they first sided with the Aetolian League and helped to ravage the coastal cities of epirus and western greece, and then later sided with the Macedonians. Pyrrhus of Epirus was also raised by an Illryian king after being taken there as a baby when his family was ousted from their homelands, and later used their help to regain his kingship.

They had quite a big role to play in the time period.

OP, based on the fact that one of the in game images (the woman on the ship) has been confirmed by CA as Queen Teuta of Illryia, my guess is that they will release some content for them in the future. On the DeI mod they are a really fun faction to play and have a great starting location to found a coastal empire, and ravage the seas like they did in reality.

EDIT: OP, I realise now that you didnt actually post about the Illryians...so my last paragraph is a bit off topic, but just incase you wanted to know :) . In DeI though, version 0.9 which is released soon will have an overhaul of Dacians/Thracians incase you don't want to wait for CA
    "And how can man die better than facing fearful odds,
    For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"
    edited April 2014
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Nice post. They were also involved in King Philip of Macedon's (not Alexander's father, but a later king) campaigns in Greece, where they first sided with the Aetolian League and helped to ravage the coastal cities of epirus and western greece, and then later sided with the Macedonians. Pyrrhus of Epirus was also raised by an Illryian king after being taken there as a baby when his family was ousted from their homelands, and later used their help to regain his kingship.

OP, based on the fact that one of the in game images (the woman on the ship) has been confirmed by CA as Queen Teuta of Illryia, my guess is that they will release some content for them in the future. On the DeI mod they are a really fun faction to play and have a great starting location to found a coastal empire, and ravage the seas like they did in reality.

EDIT: OP, I realise now that you didnt actually post about the Illryians...so my last paragraph is a bit off topic, but just incase you wanted to know :)

Yeah the fact that Teuta is on one of the loading screens raises some hope that Illyrians might become playable.
    edited April 2014
    Yep one of the loading screen has Illyrians on it.

But the whole reason why we have armoured legionaries in the game is becuase of the Dacians. Granted armoured legionaries were only in the Dacians wars when Trajan was there and that was at the beginning of the 2nd century BC nonetheless they influenced the game.
    edited April 2014

But the whole reason why we have armoured legionaries in the game is becuase of the Dacians. Granted armoured legionaries were only in the Dacians wars when Trajan was there and that was at the beginning of the 2nd century BC nonetheless they influenced the game.

I don't think anyone is against Dacians becoming playable, they were pretty interesting and they should be playable, but we should not just "discount" the Illyrians. A perfect DLC would be something similar to Nomadic factions DLC, and it would include Illyrians, Dacians and Thracians.
    edited April 2014

Apart from this, Dacians had stone walls in their fortresses. Which is something that wasn't in Rome 1 either. This would make them the perfect barbarian - civilised hybrid faction. They can also recruit mercenary archer cav from Sarmatia. Many reasons to have them in the game.

Considering the previous posts about Illyrians, I guess I would prefer them to a thracian tribe.
    Remember! Rome Wasn't Patched In a Day... Uhm, that's the way the saying goes, right?

TW Track:
    • SP/MP ratio = 95/5.
  • FirebornFireborn Senior Member Posts: 249Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I agree with all of this, as a person of the Balkans, I would love to see the Balkans tribes get some love. Most game developers forget or ignore these tribes altogether, paying much more attention to Germania and Gaul as Romes "big" enemies, while its well known that Illyrians, Thracians and Dacians were perhaps the major enemies/rivals of the early Roman Republic/Empire and of the Greeks to boot. Balkan Tribe DLC (my hopes).
    Former Chieftain of the Nervii and Ardiaei

Intro into WARHAMMER LORE

Early Slavic History
    edited April 2014
    What did "Illyrians" do?

Aside from what Suliot said,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyrian_warfare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Illyrian_Revolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyrian_Wars

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_albaniaancient.htm

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4769

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallstatt_culture

They also have their own culture....
  • Herr BreeHerr Bree Senior Member Posts: 690Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I don't think anyone is against Dacians becoming playable, they were pretty interesting and they should be playable, but we should not just "discount" the Illyrians. A perfect DLC would be something similar to Nomadic factions DLC, and it would include Illyrians, Dacians and Thracians.

the balkan kingdoms pack
  • AmbigatosAmbigatos Senior Member Posts: 2,077Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Herr Bree wrote: »
    the balkan kingdoms pack

Sounds perfect :cool:
    Team Boii
    - Mutina (218 BC) : Boii ambush. 800 Roman soldiers and six standards lost.
    - Litana Forest (216 BC) : Boii ambush. 25,000 Roman soldiers slain, along with consul-elect Lucius Postumius Albinus.
    - Mutilum (201 BC) : Boii ambush. 7,000 Roman soldiers slain, along with Legate Caius Oppius.
    - Near Cuomo (196 BC) : Boii ambush. Claudius Marcellus and 3,000 of his men are slain.
    - Hercynia (114 BC) : Boii repel the Cimbri
    edited April 2014
    edited April 2014
    I dont know how reliable the Army Units are on that site, as it stems from some Rome mod team. CA needs to do in depth research for these factions. I know bits of how they fought, Illyrians tend to copy Greek formations while having several "berserker-like" sword/axe units. Thracians were basically the same, but famous for their falx weapons.

Man that tells you how interesting these factions would be: semi-barbarians.

Early Slavic History
  • Herr BreeHerr Bree Senior Member Posts: 690Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Fireborn wrote: »
    I dont know how reliable the Army Units are on that site, as it stems from some Rome mod team. CA needs to do in depth research for these factions. I know bits of how they fought, Illyrians tend to copy Greek formations while having several "berserker-like" sword/axe units. Thracians were basically the same, but famous for their falx weapons.

Man that tells you how interesting these factions would be: semi-barbarians.

I think the notion of a Hellenic/barbarian faction would be cool, in terms of the Illyrians maybe alittle more Hellenic than barbarian and the opposite for the thracians.
    edited April 2014
    Hmm that depends on tribe though, I read in some history book (can't remember which tbh) I think it was the Illyrians by John Wilke(?) that many of the inland tribes (in modern Bosnia/Croatia) were on the more barbaric side, even wearing bear-furs etc. If it was legitimate I'd love to see things like that with Illyria. However, I do agree with what you're saying for the baser part of it, at first glance Thracians are definitely more barbaric looking.

Early Slavic History
  • The Total WarThe Total War Senior Member Posts: 186Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I would like this too, those odrysian kingdom nobles are seriously badass
  • Steppeup2Steppeup2 Senior Member Posts: 368Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    If they do the dacians next I hope they give the roxolani something nice since they played such a big part in those wars. In fact when the Roxolani helped their Dacian ally the were winning but when they refused to assist thats when they fell. Something thats is historicaly a fact and should have been in the game is the Roxolani should have had cataphract. like these guys straight from the dacian wars.

028_Conrad_Cichorius%2C_Die_Reliefs_der_Traianss%C3%A4ule%2C_Tafel_XXVIII_%28Ausschnitt_01%29.jpg
  • Aurelian777Aurelian777 Senior Member Posts: 1,688Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    They should make a balkan dlc with a Dacian faction, Thracian faction and Illyrian faction.

Also, it seems that Illyria is pretty underrated and forgotten by most people :(

Ocelot wrote: »

EDIT: OP, I realise now that you didnt actually post about the Illryians...so my last paragraph is a bit off topic, but just incase you wanted to know :) . In DeI though, version 0.9 which is released soon will have an overhaul of Dacians/Thracians incase you don't want to wait for CA
    edited April 2014
    CA do eeet!

and make it good if you do...

Early Slavic History
    edited April 2014
    Ardiaei as Illyrian tribe
    Odrysia as Thracian tribe
    Getae as Dacian tribe
    edited April 2014
    If they do the dacians next I hope they give the roxolani something nice since they played such a big part in those wars. In fact when the Roxolani helped their Dacian ally the were winning but when they refused to assist thats when they fell. Something thats is historicaly a fact and should have been in the game is the Roxolani should have had cataphract. like these guys straight from the dacian wars.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/028_Conrad_Cichorius,_Die_Reliefs_der_Traianssäule,_Tafel_XXVIII_(Ausschnitt_01).jpg[/IMG]

They should be able to recruit those units as mercs, which is how they ended up fighting with the Dacians in the first place during most wars the Dacians fought. They should have a more limited recruiting pool for normal units and cheaper mercs, to make the game more plausible.

TW Track:
    • SP/MP ratio = 95/5.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 789Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    +1 from me. I believe all that was needed to be said regarding the cultures is said before my post. As a Romanian I will acquire this DLC, if made, immediately.

I was already insulted by CA when they made southern Romania part of Bulgaria in Empire. Come on CA, make it up.
    We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.
    edited April 2014
    +1 from me. I believe all that was needed to be said regarding the cultures is said before my post. As a Romanian I will acquire this DLC, if made, immediately.

I was already insulted by CA when they made southern Romania part of Bulgaria in Empire. Come on CA, make it up.

As a fellow Romanian, it doesn't really matter how the regions/provinces are made, as long as CA makes no commitment to portray the map realistically, which they probably do specifically to avoid such discussions. It's a game, people will always feel that an injustice has been made in the way the map was created because it can't include "everything" and every faction, but it doesn't really matter.

Dacia/Thracia should be in the game for gameplay reasons: interesting roster and historically was a powerful opponent of Rome, it makes sense to have them in the game.

TW Track:
    • SP/MP ratio = 95/5.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 789Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    As a fellow Romanian, it doesn't really matter how the regions/provinces are made, as long as CA makes no commitment to portray the map realistically, which they probably do specifically to avoid such discussions. It's a game, people will always feel that an injustice has been made in the way the map was created because it can't include "everything" and every faction, but it doesn't really matter.

Dacia/Thracia should be in the game for gameplay reasons: interesting roster and historically was a powerful opponent of Rome, it makes sense to have them in the game.

hush now... I was trying to induce some guilt psychology :D
    We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.
  • wishs2workedwishs2worked Senior Member Posts: 2,161Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Just get the 4tpy all-factions playable mod. I've done campaigns with Biephi, Odrysians Kindgoms, Getea and Tylis!
  • AgharranAgharran Senior Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    The Dacians are one of the few "barbarian" factions I have an interest in playing, so +1 from me
    edited April 2014

Its an insult that they never added New Zealand in any total war game ever.