Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The "We want Sicas" thread

TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 988
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
This thread is just for people to mark their want of sicas for the balkan factions...

Add your +1 or more detailed post if you want to, and maybe if we keep this thing alive long enough we'll get the model (for dacian nobles and peltasts if nothing else) and maybe, gods and CA willing some units...

My +1 should be clear due to my starting of the thread but as a comment:

It would be another thing that would add diversity to the balkan factions... and diversity via culture specific weapon seems much better better to me than diversity via lack of unit so they don't look to much like other factions...

EDIT: ok... so... the sica would be the national weapon of most balkan factions (thracians, dacians and ilyrians included), a sort of one handed falx, inward curved sword (reversed scimitar if you will):

sica_m.jpg
Post edited by TempestWolf on

Comments

• PhlebiacPhlebiac Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 373
    edited June 2014
    Maybe you could have made this thread a poll?

+1 to the idea though.
    I dream of the day that the creators of "Total War" and "Warhammer" get together and make a baby. That baby will be called "Total Warhammer" and it will be Lord of all EPIC! - Update: The bun is in the oven and it's name is "Total War: Warhammer", brings a tear to me eye!
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 988
    edited June 2014
    well... I thought about it, but... this is for people to express their want for sicas not for if sicas should or should not be in the game...

EDIT: I get now that a poll might have been a better idea, but I can't find any options to edit the thread... are there any? and if yes could someone specify how?
  • PhlebiacPhlebiac Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 373
    edited June 2014
    Fair enough but I can only assume you'll get mixed responses anyway. A poll is just so much easier to tally up the numbers at the end.
    I dream of the day that the creators of "Total War" and "Warhammer" get together and make a baby. That baby will be called "Total Warhammer" and it will be Lord of all EPIC! - Update: The bun is in the oven and it's name is "Total War: Warhammer", brings a tear to me eye!
  • Welsh_DragonWelsh_Dragon Senior Member Great BritainRegistered Users Posts: 2,914
    edited June 2014
    It might help if you explained who the Sicas are and what makes them a good addition to the game? (e.g. Units, starting location, interesting gameplay etc.)
    CraigK CA wrote:
    I think Welsh Dragon knows too much...
    "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."
  • The Germans are comingThe Germans are coming Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 731
    edited June 2014
    +1 for sicas
    Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.
    - Gary Lineker
  • AquiloAquilo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 780
    edited June 2014
    is it a kind of sandal?

A picture helped. :) +1 for Sicas in the name of diversity. I assume it's authentic of the period.
    What would you have me do, Caesar?
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläRegistered Users Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2014
    Aquilo wrote: »
    is it a kind of sandal?

With socks ? +20 bonus against hipsters when equipped.

On topic,yeah,it would be great to see the weapon in-game. Funnily enough,with yesterday`s update,CA added a new "Balkan sword" weapon value to Thracian peltasts,even though..they`re still using daggers :o GG ...
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team Beastmen

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

Coming back on track with dem uploadz soon !
  • Xirius The GreatXirius The Great Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 414
    edited June 2014
    +1 for sica, but i don't think it's top priority. Still it would be nice to have.

For all those who don't know what a sica is, a sica is a curved inward sword used by Illyrians and Thracians and by many seen as their 'national weapon'. Type "Sica sword" into the google images searching bar and you know how it looks like. Oddly enough, sometimes it looks like a curved gladius, sometimes like a curved kopis (is already curved lol) or even a onehanded falx. Isnt a Sica just another name for a curved (inwards) sword?
    On topic,yeah,it would be great to see the weapon in-game. Funnily enough,with yesterday`s update,CA added a new "Balkan sword" weapon value to Thracian peltasts,even though..they`re still using daggers :o GG ...
    Really? That's a bit lame, but still a step in the right direction i guess..
    "The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself."
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläRegistered Users Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2014
    If i told you the weapon damage was pretty much equal to the early gladius ,would you still say so ? :D Though in general,it is.
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team Beastmen

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

edited June 2014
    Hmm interesting.. :)
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,411
    edited June 2014
    If i told you the weapon damage was pretty much equal to the early gladius ,would you still say so ? :D Though in general,it is.

I'd be happy with its inclusion. However as for comparisons to the gladius this does not look like a thrusting weapon, and so should be modeled differently as concerns its damage. More ax like in application with a longer edge. An interesting weapon, not dissimilar to the Khopesh used by Egypt; except the Khopesh was more likely to be used in a straight thrust one would think.

http://www.odinblades.com/Gallery/khopesh.htm#gallerypics/Swords/Main/Khopesh/1.jpg
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
    edited June 2014
    ranknfile wrote: »
    I'd be happy with its inclusion. However as for comparisons to the gladius this does not look like a thrusting weapon, and so should be modeled differently as concerns its damage. More ax like in application with a longer edge. An interesting weapon, not dissimilar to the Khopesh used by Egypt; except the Khopesh was more likely to be used in a straight thrust one would think.

http://www.odinblades.com/Gallery/khopesh.htm#gallerypics/Swords/Main/Khopesh/1.jpg

in-game weapon damage,not real life pseudo damage :p It`s pretty much 25 base 10 AP currently,which is pretty decent AP so far. Could use some more tweaks,sure...but first,we need an actual Sicca model,not a dagger :p

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team Beastmen

• Lemonater47Lemonater47 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2014
    They made 3 Iberian swords for HATG.

Why can't they make a Sica?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,143
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014
    jamreal18 wrote: »

didn't want to step over your thread... sorry if that's what I'm doing... I also had a thread regarding what units to add to the balkans, but this thread has the sole purpose of allowing us to band together keep it bumped and ask for ONE weapon model...

the "balkan sword" thing got me irked and I decied to make this... shame I didn't make it a poll from the start
  • MarijanMarijan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,001
    edited June 2014
    They made 3 Iberian swords for HATG.

Why can't they make a Sica?

Well, to be fair, HATG was an expansion and this was just a DLC, which honestly doesn't look like they put much effort and details into it, especially in case of the Odrysian Kingdom. The Thracians & Illyrians don't get units with proper swords at all and Tylis was very likely to use mostly Celtic weapons anyway, so they apparently did not feel the need to implement the Sica.

I honestly would like to see the Sica implemented into the game and I think it is kind of sad that they wasted the opportunity while implementing new stats for a "Balkan sword", but there are much more important matters to address (in terms of the game in general, but also for these factions in specific). I am currently trying to list everything wrong with the Odrysian Kingdom in just one thread and I am still not done yet, although the OPs are already really massive by now - and that's just 1/4 new factions.
  • BHZ2BHZ2 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 190
    edited June 2014
    +1 For any addition to the game that is historical!
  • Welsh_DragonWelsh_Dragon Senior Member Great BritainRegistered Users Posts: 2,914
    edited June 2014
    It might help if you explained who the Sicas are and what makes them a good addition to the game? (e.g. Units, starting location, interesting gameplay etc.)

Okay, I'm looking kinda stupid now you explained the Sicas is a sword, not a faction...

In my defence "This thread is just for people to mark their want of sicas for the balkan factions" and "It would be another thing that would add diversity to the balkan factions" could have been talking about a playable faction....

Okay forget it. I dropped the ball with this one. Sorry for the confusion.
    CraigK CA wrote:
    I think Welsh Dragon knows too much...
    "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,428
    edited June 2014
    Legalize Sicas! +1
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 687
    edited June 2014
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,658
    edited June 2014
    I WANT SICAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed.

+∞
    edited June 2014
    Okay, I'm looking kinda stupid now you explained the Sicas is a sword, not a faction...

In my defence "This thread is just for people to mark their want of sicas for the balkan factions" and "It would be another thing that would add diversity to the balkan factions" could have been talking about a playable faction....

Okay forget it. I dropped the ball with this one. Sorry for the confusion.

no stress... It's an allright mistake to make... no one would expect you to be THAT specific in your history knowledge that you would know the name of a sword from the balkans in that era... I know it because I'm from the area and interested in the subject... it's good that you pointed out so I would explain
  • MarijanMarijan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,001
    edited June 2014
    no stress... It's an allright mistake to make... no one would expect you to be THAT specific in your history knowledge that you would know the name of a sword from the balkans in that era... I know it because I'm from the area and interested in the subject... it's good that you pointed out so I would explain

I honestly doubt that many people knew anything about the Sica beforehand at all, but simply searching for "Sica" on Google provides enough information to determine that the Sica was a popular weapon among the Balkan people, especially the Illyrians, of significant importance, since some sources refer to it as "national weapon" of Thrace and as primary melee weapon of the Illyrians.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,143
    edited June 2014
    For me,

Illyria should have sica
    Dacia should have another unit with better stats carrying falx
    Thrace should have rhomphaia (blade attached to a polearm)
    edited June 2014
    For me,

Umm Thrace already already got romphaias. And the romphaias with the long poles that are showed on the unit cards are not correct, as romphaias have a hilt that is as large as the blade (or slightly smaller) but not much longer, and not at all as large as depicted on the unit cards (the hilt there is 2/3 times as large as the blade.)

Or did you mean something else?
  • Lemonater47Lemonater47 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2014
    For me,

Illyria should have sica

The Dacians used the Sica as their primary 1H sword too. As did Thrace.
    edited June 2014
    For me,

Illyria should have sica

all of them had sica... it's like the falcata for the iberians or the xiphos for the greeks...
  • ciprianploesteanuciprianploesteanu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 23
    edited June 2014
    +1 for the sica. Playing with the Getae and looking for the sica took me a lot of time. A lot of copy-pasted units is all i could find :(
    Rome II: Total War - Really!?
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,710
    edited June 2014
    I stand by the right to own and bear Sica!

900px-Gadsden_flag.svg.png
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
    edited June 2014
    good, I see we're banding together nicely... let's keep our want for the sica known
This discussion has been closed.