Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

ROME: Total War multiplayer now available on Steam!

Nico CANico CA Creative AssemblyRegistered Users Posts: 1,222
edited July 2015 in Rome: Total War
Hi all!

As you may have heard, a few weeks ago the Gamespy servers had to shut down and it was no longer possible to play multiplayer on ROME. However we are happy to announce that players who own this Total War classic on Steam can now play multiplayer again.

And players who purchased the game elsewhere can use their existing Gamespy key to redeem the new Steam version. If you own the physical CD version of the game, the key should be included in the package, most likely printed on the back of the manual.
If you purchased a digital version from a distributer other than Steam, your key should have been sent to you on purchase of the game. If you cannot locate the key, please contact the distributer you purchased the game from.

It may take a short time for all Gamespy keys to be registered on Steam, if your code is rejected please wait 48 hours and try again.

Save files from previous versions can be copied from the “…\saves\” folder in the previous installation folder to “…\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\saves”.

• All multiplayer functionality updated to use Steamworks, as the Gamespy service has now been discontinued.
  • French, German, and Spanish language support added to Steam.
- CA Senior Community Coordinator -

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Nico CA on

Comments

• NarcosCatolicosNarcosCatolicos Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 166
    edited July 2014
    Hey guys, I bought MTW2 with and Kingdoms way back. Yet there is no cd-key for Kingdoms in the box. Is there any way we can activate our Kingdoms expansion on steam?
  • andy276andy276 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 148
    edited July 2014
    Great news!

I have a question though. My copy of Rome is from the Total War: Eras collection, which has the same CD-key for Rome, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander. When I activated the key, I was able to redeem the gold edition of Rome, but not Alexander. Is there any way I could redeem Alexander as well?
  • PurSpykPurSpyk Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    Will Rome Alexander also be updated to use Steamworks instead of Gamespy??
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,428
    edited July 2014
    A better question for the vast majority of players who only play SP is this: Have you in doing this broken every MOD that currently exists?

The majority of which at this point are no longer supported and will never get updated to work again.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,428
    edited July 2014
    Follow up: Not sure why, but once R1 downloaded the patch, the EB mod still worked just fine. Don't know if that applies to all other mods for this one, but here's at least one of the great ones that still works fine.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • AdvisAdvis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Hey guys, I bought MTW2 with and Kingdoms way back. Yet there is no cd-key for Kingdoms in the box. Is there any way we can activate our Kingdoms expansion on steam?

Can confirm that activating a retail copy of MTWII will include the Kingdoms campaigns. Right click the game in steam > view downloadable content.
    Shuttle SX58J3 | Intel Core i7 930 | Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB "GS GLH" | 6GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333F | 1GB Western Digital Black | Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset | Logitech G15 | Razer Mamba 2012 | Asus USB-N53 | Unlimited tubes of Smarties
  • RANGERDanger5612RANGERDanger5612 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Hey I've had RTW on steam and now the option to change CD key is missing since the update and whenever I click on online battle RTW crashes...same thing is happening to my friend who bought RTW on steam
  • iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesRegistered Users Posts: 1,373
    edited July 2014
    easytarget wrote: »
    Follow up: Not sure why, but once R1 downloaded the patch, the EB mod still worked just fine. Don't know if that applies to all other mods for this one, but here's at least one of the great ones that still works fine.
    Same here, EB1 working fine, Stainless Steel no bueno, even after renaming the M2TW mod folders.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • 522606522606 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    There should be a second code for Rome: Total War Alexander directly below the Gold Edition code on the back of the manual, I also own the Total War: Eras collection but my codes aren't active yet.
    andy276 wrote: »
    Great news!

I have a question though. My copy of Rome is from the Total War: Eras collection, which has the same CD-key for Rome, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander. When I activated the key, I was able to redeem the gold edition of Rome, but not Alexander. Is there any way I could redeem Alexander as well?
    ~Miku IS awesome~

Just an amateur RTS/TBS gamer and Vocaloid fan.
  • RaskaipikaRaskaipika Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    Hi, and thank you so much by your support for the game and the expansions, I'm newbie in this community/forums, and I'm here to ask you if is there any possibilities to merge Rome Total War GOLD Edition and the Alexander expansion as you have done with Medieval Total War 2 and Kingdoms.

I will explain about I'm talking, in Steam currently, you have to install Rome Total War GOLD Edition and separated from this, the expansion Alexander, this last, includes so much files from Rome Total War base game like files from the Alexander espansion, and the HDD space needed is 2.6GB more or less in place of 450MB that it needs in retail disc version because it is installed with the base game and first expansion.

Thanks by add spanish, french and german languages to the Steam version of Rome Total War GOLD Edition, I'm spanish gamer; the Alexander expansion is Multi 5 now, but there is a problem with it, at least with spanish, as I said before, Alexander has the files of RTW GE, but these files are in English while Alexander files are in Spanish, this have a solution, if you merge the GOLD edition and Alexander expansion as base game and DLC respectively, and I don't know if this situation repeats with french and german, obviously, english has not this problem.
  • Malavolpe1138Malavolpe1138 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    edited July 2014
    Any chance of you fixing the multiplayer for Rome: Total War Alexander or atleast do to it what you did to Medieval 2 Kingdoms?
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Kuala LumpurRegistered Users Posts: 3,318
    edited July 2014
    Does my 3cds Activision RTW works and can I also use it to activate my retail BI (which don't have CD key at all) which is the first TW published by SEGA ?
  • GalafonGalafon Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited July 2014
    Nico CA wrote: »

French, German, and Spanish language support added to Steam.
    No chance for Russian language?
  • Nico CANico CA Creative Assembly Registered Users Posts: 1,222
    edited July 2014
    Galafon wrote: »
    No chance for Russian language?

Hi Galafon,

I do not have any information regarding the implementation of the Russian localization files.

Hey I've had RTW on steam and now the option to change CD key is missing since the update and whenever I click on online battle RTW crashes...same thing is happening to my friend who bought RTW on steam

Hi RANGERD,

We are currently investigating this issue.

LestaT wrote: »
    Does my 3cds Activision RTW works and can I also use it to activate my retail BI (which don't have CD key at all) which is the first TW published by SEGA ?

Hi LestaT,

You should still be able to use the code.
    Let me know if you can't.

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited July 2014
    522606 wrote: »
    There should be a second code for Rome: Total War Alexander directly below the Gold Edition code on the back of the manual, I also own the Total War: Eras collection but my codes aren't active yet.
    There isn't, at least not on my copy. The one code is explicitly labelled as being valid for Rome, BI and Alexander.
  • 522606522606 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    Oh whoops, the code above was for Medieval: Total War/Viking Invasion. My bad. I activated my code but I only got Rome: Total War as well...
    There isn't, at least not on my copy. The one code is explicitly labelled as being valid for Rome, BI and Alexander.
    ~Miku IS awesome~

Just an amateur RTS/TBS gamer and Vocaloid fan.
    edited July 2014
    522606 wrote: »
    Oh whoops, the code above was for Medieval: Total War/Viking Invasion. My bad. I activated my code but I only got Rome: Total War as well...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your report. Just to confirm: you both used the code from the TW Eras edition right?

I'll forward those details to the relevant departments in order to have this matter investigated.
    I'll keep you posted.

- Nico

edited July 2014
    Nico CA,and, What there is about the merge of Rome Total War and Alexander like you have done with Medieval 2 and Kingdoms??, Is ther any posiblity?, Mainly, about the problems with space and files in english when you use other languages with Alexander.

Other thing: The RTW GE doesn't show the key now, is it normal?

I can't access to Online mode.
    edited July 2014
    Hi again,

Quick follow-up regarding the Alexander expansion.
    If you used your TW Eras code and unlocked ROME but not the Alexander expansion, please contact the SEGA Customer Support via email at [email protected] in order to receive the adequate assistance.

edited July 2014
    Hi again, I don't know if your last message is for me or for everyone, but, I don't have problems with my Alexander Steam key, is the RTW GE key which not appears in Steam Library since the last update which add spanish, german and french to Steam and Steamworks online game.

I bought RTW GE in the Humble SEGA Bundle and Alexander in Steam two or three months ago; my main problem with the Alexander expansion, as other Steam players, is that the Alexander expansion is installed separately of RTW GE, and in the retail disc version is installed in the same directory that RTW GE, so that Alexander requires 450MB more or less, in place the 2.6GB that requires as standalone expansion in Steam.

Other problem, in other languages with the exception of english, is that the files of RTW GE in Alexander stand alone expansion are in english, for example, the alexander folder are fine, because has the spanish files, but the data folder (RTW Files) has the files in english, this means, that in Alexander you have texts in Spanish from Alexander expansion and texts and voices in english from RTW FILES (DATA FOLDER).

Is there any possiblity of merge Alexander in RTW GE as a DLC??, that is the method in retail disc version, alexander expansion is installed in the same directory that RTW and BI, not alone with the RTW files as occurs in Steam version.

Do you understand me??, sorry by my bad english, is not my foreign language.

Regards.
    edited July 2014
    Hi again,

Quick follow-up regarding the Alexander expansion.
    If you used your TW Eras code and unlocked ROME but not the Alexander expansion, please contact the SEGA Customer Support via email at [email protected] in order to receive the adequate assistance.
    OK, will do that.
  • planesrule1planesrule1 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    I bought Rome: Total War Anthology a while back, came with only one CD key. Redeemed that CD key on steam and didn't get alexander, only gold edition (Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion). Disappointing :(
    edited July 2014
    I bought Rome: Total War Anthology a while back, came with only one CD key. Redeemed that CD key on steam and didn't get alexander, only gold edition (Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion). Disappointing :(

Hi planesrule1,

Thanks for your report. You should send these details via email to [email protected] in order to receive the appropriate assistance.

• MumrikMumrik Senior Member DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 173
    edited July 2014

Hi planesrule1,

Thanks for your report. You should send these details via email to [email protected] in order to receive the appropriate assistance.

How about those of us who bought the Alexander retail sepperate ??
    edited July 2014
    Mumrik wrote: »
    How about those of us who bought the Alexander retail sepperate ??

If it came with a cd-key, I assume you could also use it on Steam.
    I'll try to confirm that and I'll get back to you once I've received more details.

• MumrikMumrik Senior Member DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 173
    edited July 2014
    If it came with a cd-key, I assume you could also use it on Steam.
    I'll try to confirm that and I'll get back to you once I've received more details.

It doesn't have a cd key, but I have send a help ticket to SEGA so I hope they can help ..
    edited July 2014
    Mumrik wrote: »
    It doesn't have a cd key, but I have send a help ticket to SEGA so I hope they can help ..

Ok. In that case contacting SEGA Support Centre was the best thing to do.
    They'll provide the appropriate assistance regarding this matter as soon as they can.

• BuffaloManBuffaloMan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    And players who purchased the game elsewhere can use their existing Gamespy key to redeem the new Steam version. If you own the physical CD version of the game, the key should be included in the package, most likely printed on the back of the manual.

I have been trying my CD-key for my Rome: Total War Gold Edition since this was first posted and it still hasn't worked. I have emailed [email protected] asking for any assistance available but also thought I may mention my problem here also.
    edited July 2014
    I can confirm that SEGA Support can give you a Steam key for Alexander (at least if you have Eras), and fairly quickly too. :)
  • PurSpykPurSpyk Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    Will Alexander be updated like the other games, its the only one still using gamespy, so you cannot play online.