Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

MEDIEVAL II – How to run mods after 22/07/2014 update

Nico CANico CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 1,222Registered Users
edited October 2015 in Medieval II: Total War
Hi guys,

Following the Medieval II Total War update that was released on 22/7/2014, some of you may have experienced some difficulties running the game with mods. This step by step guide will explain how to make them work.

We strongly encourage you to give explicit names to the folder where your mods will be installed (instead of using a Kingdoms campaign name) and to use the Steam Launcher to start Medieval II with mods.

Procedure/Scenario #1: if your mod could work only by using an original Kingdoms Campaign name

• Install your mod in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\ and give it an explicit name
    (i.e. if your mod add red units, name the folder “RedUnitsMod”
  • DO NOT rename the Kingdoms campaign folder
  • Right click on Medieval 2 Total War from the Steam Game Library and select Properties
  • Click on “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…
  • Insert --features.mod=mods/name_of_the_mod_folder (i.e. --features.mod=mods/RedUnitsMod)
  • Click on OK
  • Close the Properties window
  • Start MED II (select “Play Medieval II: Total War")

Note: remove the Launch Option to play Medieval II vanilla or Kingdoms campaigns

Procedure/Scenario #2: your mod uses the original “Kingdoms.exe” file
  • Install your mod in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\ and give it an explicit name
    (i.e. if your mod add red units, name the folder “RedUnitsMod”
  • Open folder “Medieval II Total War
  • Select the file “medieval2.exe” and create a copy in the same folder
  • Rename the new file from “medieval2.exe” to “Kingdoms.exe
  • Launch the mod

Finally, if you still experience crashes or receive error messages while trying to start Medieval II with mods, please contact BitBaboon via PM.
- CA Senior Community Coordinator -

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Nico CA on

Comments

• iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesPosts: 1,238Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    I actually just reinstalled the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod about 2 hours ago without doing either of the recommended installs and after about 50 turns it's still working fine, I did in fact rename it too 1 of the Kingdoms mod name, Grand campaign is working/custom battles are working/ historical battles are working and all scripted events seem to be working. This was using files that I DL about a year ago, I have the updated and verified new Steam version of the game, plus my installation of Europa Barbarorum seems too still be working using the command line in the launch options.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • Nico CANico CA Creative Assembly Posts: 1,222Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    icenii wrote: »
    I actually just reinstalled the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod about 2 hours ago without doing either of the recommended installs and after about 50 turns it's still working fine, I did in fact rename it too 1 of the Kingdoms mod name, Grand campaign is working/custom battles are working/ historical battles are working and all scripted events seem to be working. This was using files that I DL about a year ago, I have the updated and verified new Steam version of the game, plus my installation of Europa Barbarorum seems too still be working using the command line in the launch options.

Hi icenii,

Indeed, it would work however we would not encourage players to rename folders but to use the launch command instead, so that all original content remains by default :)

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited July 2014
    Ok i'll try with the launch option when I go to install the Third Age mod and see how well that works out and thanks to you and your team for getting these fixes out, have you also posted these on the Steam Forums, there still are an unbelievable number of people who do not know too check the official forums for info.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
    edited July 2014
    icenii wrote: »
    Ok i'll try with the launch option when I go to install the Third Age mod and see how well that works out and thanks to you and your team for getting these fixes out, have you also posted these on the Steam Forums, there still are an unbelievable number of people who do not know too check the official forums for info.

I've posted information in the [Announcement] thread.
    I'll repost it when necessary.

• CommissarFalkCommissarFalk Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    How do you remove the Launch Option to play Medieval II vanilla or Kingdoms campaigns?
  • Chris P. BaconChris P. Bacon Senior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Hello,

The first option worked for me (was using SSteel) and all was fine and dandy until I tried to start or load a campaign, which then led to a CTD. Any idea what is causing this? I followed every step to the letter.

P.S. in the second option's instructions "Select the file “medieval2.exe” and create a copy in the same folder" do you mean we should copy medieval2.exe into the MTWII folder or the mod of our choice's folder?
    Chrispy

Team Dawi
    Team Dawi Zharr
    Team Anything that kills Greenskin scum
    Team Throgg the Troll King
    Avid Reader of the Book of Grudges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TmZFm6NHfA
    What I'll have on repeat when playing as the Dawi
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Posts: 2,351Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Nico for the instructions.

Chris,

My guess is he's saying if you still can't get it to work copy the med exe over to the dir the mod is in and change the name to kingdoms, some mods are looking for that specific file name and won't work otherwise.

I just re-downloaded SS and installed it and did not have to do this though, so not sure where that's breaking down on your end.

I do consider it a minor hassle I have to add in the command line launch to play SS, or remove it to play vanilla. It would be nice if there was a way to make it so it added in the mods you load up in the menu as a choice like the americas/britania/etc shows up, that was the nice thing about the replacement launcher i was using before this patch broke it, I didn't have to jack with command lines, I just clicked on play and a menu opened up showing me vanilla, all the kingdoms, SS, retrofit, 3rd Age, click on the one you wanted to play and away you went, no fuss no muss.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    edited July 2014
    This guide hasn't helped me whatsoever. I need a video for this I'm a visual learner lol.
    edited July 2014
    Ok, so I got my mod (Third Age Total War with Divide and Conquer submod) to the point where it loads but it uses the wrong loading symbol (hourglass rather than ring) and CTD. I have yet to be helped by BitBaboon so could anyone help me with this? Thanks
    edited July 2014
    I'm good now got it fixed
    edited July 2014
    I'm good now got it fixed
    Ok so what was the problem and how did you fix it, might be helpful to others who have same problem.
  • LuciusRamoneLuciusRamone Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    What if the problem is with a mod for the Vanilla game?
    "Lanius carries all the terrors' of the east with him. He's the myth, the weapon that the Legion needs. When he arrives, he'll fall on Hoover Dam like a hammer; break the bear in two."
  • Raidan1667Raidan1667 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    I've done everything as described in the post but when i launch the game it goes to the loading screen and CTD's a few seconds later. I've done the first and second part too and neither have worked.
    edited July 2014
    Raidan1667 wrote: »
    I've done everything as described in the post but when i launch the game it goes to the loading screen and CTD's a few seconds later. I've done the first and second part too and neither have worked.

Hi Raidan1667,

Thanks for your message.
    May I ask which mod(s) you are using? Thanks

• Raidan1667Raidan1667 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Stainless Steel is the one i wanted to use
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Posts: 2,351Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    And frankly I'd prefer to run SS 6.4 via the launcher created for it (as it among other things randomizes the music played).

I suspect the solution you posted just gets the game to run in SS, but not completely in the same way before the update (at a guess).

Update: got the launcher to work, still not sure if it's randomizing music still, have to wait and see, all that was necessary was to remove the launch instructions (because as you'd expect you either need to launch it by hit play or use the old replacement launcher, but not both).
    This space intentionally left blank.
    edited July 2014
    Raidan1667 wrote: »
    Stainless Steel is the one i wanted to use

If you have installed the game in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods and if the name of the SS mod folder is "SS", then open the Steam Properties of MED II, click on "Set Launch Options..." and insert --features.mod=mods\SS
    If the game crashes right after starting the game, it might be caused by the mod not being fully compatible (in which case, an error log file (system.log.txt) should be created in the folder of the mod.

• JonatasJonatas Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for fixing the time played not showing on steam!
  • BitBaboonBitBaboon Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    We have identified a few issues with obsolete units (aliased as other unit types with simple data tweaks) with vanilla based mods ... We'll take a look at adding some legacy compatibility back into the new executable once the bigger issues (gfx bugs, sound and MP lag) are cleared (which are all now being fixed up after identifying the causes).
    Thx for hanging in there guys, and please continue to PM if you have a particular mod that is not compatible ... we'll get round to them as soon as we can!
  • SappyShadowsSappyShadows Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    Hello, I am trying to get the Third Age mod to work, i tried the first method but it didnt work so i tried to do the second and could not find the medieval2.exe file. So if anyone could help that would be fantastic.
  • paddyshaypaddyshay Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    Right so I'm trying to get Rage of the Dark Gods to work and I'm having no luck. Tried both options and nothing. On top of that because I always used Kingdoms to open the game just cuz I knew I could change to whatever when the launcher came up my save files are no longer accessible for even the base game. I'm insanely confused and don't have any idea what I'm doing. Knew I should have cancelled that ******ed update when I saw it rear it's hideous head. Can anybody help? I've been staring at files and folders all day trying to figure out what to move and change that I feel like I should just ask someone else before I go insane.
    Edit: forgot to mention I'm on Steam if that matters. Also will accept ways to just shift everything back to how it was pre-patch cuz I had precisely 0 problems then.
  • LuciusRamoneLuciusRamone Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    I'll ask again. What if the problem is with a mod for the non-kingdoms game? I can't get Darthmod to work.
    "Lanius carries all the terrors' of the east with him. He's the myth, the weapon that the Legion needs. When he arrives, he'll fall on Hoover Dam like a hammer; break the bear in two."
  • Illusive_PimpernelIllusive_Pimpernel Senior Member Posts: 277Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    Er yeah hi, so who's idiotic idea was it to merge the medieval2.exe and the kingdoms.exe into one file? Was there really no other way you could have done it? You've messed up so much it's ridiculous. I had to do a complete fresh install of the game which took twice as long because for some reason installing the game only installs the kingdoms campaigns and not the base game forcing me to verify the integrity of the game cache only to find the 662 files were missing? Now im suffering from these black buildings bug, which I believe is a gfx issue? Anyway it took me hours to re-download all the fixes and apply them but the mod still isn't functioning correctly in many areas to the standard that it was before. It was a complete mess up to merge the two exe's and was bound to cause chaos. Smooth move guys, I hope there are fixes soon.
  • Arroyo1291Arroyo1291 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    "There are a few issues we have found with legacy units in some vanilla mods. Once the major issues with MP and the single player game are sorted we'll go through all mods reported and help get them running again."

Response I got from Bitbaboon in regards to the Westeros: Total War mod. On one hand, I'm grateful you guys are working on a fix, but I can't help but feel like I really won't be playing this game for a long while :/ What can ya do but hope for the best I guess. Good luck with the fixes! I'll be checking regularly for updates.
  • xerxes698nimrodxerxes698nimrod Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    First off, love your work CA, no other dev puts this much effort in to supporting the mod community, much respect.

I am having no luck with the mod "The Long Road".
    I've installed the latest version of the mod, 2.4.3 and added the hotfix 2.4.3A.

Every time I launch I CTD with an unspecified error. My TW2 install is fresh, I only just installed 2 days ago from steam and I have verified my install earlier tonight.

The vanilla game and Kingdoms campaigns launch just fine.

I copied the log from my TLR mod folder:

19:26:45.722 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    19:26:45.723 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 2 2014 version development ===
    19:26:45.726 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    19:26:45.727 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    19:26:45.727 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    19:26:45.728 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    19:26:45.728 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    19:26:45.729 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    19:26:47.564 [data.missing] [error] The_Long_Road/data/ui/shared.sdfile not found
    19:26:47.565 [data.missing] [error] The_Long_Road/data/ui/battle.sdfile not found
    19:26:47.565 [data.missing] [error] The_Long_Road/data/ui/strategy.sdfile not found
    19:26:52.607 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

The 3 files the error log is referring to are in fact in the ui folder

Is this related to the newest patch?
  • carto738carto738 Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    Hi I am trying to play akthros total war mod, and when I installed it and did both steps they didn't work. First option crashes during the loading menu which has the akthros theme. Then on second option the game just loads vanilla medieval 2. Please help!
  • Umbra53Umbra53 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    I've done everything and instructed and the game works great, but...

When trying to run the Third Age mod (with the Divide and Conquer sub-mod) when trying to start a new campaign I only have one faction available to play with and when I select that faction I ctd. The mod functioned correctly before the update, so it's not a problem with the mod.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
  • mcoffmmcoffm Senior Member Posts: 660Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    Ca team thanxs for supporting these older games hate Rome 2 but thanxs for not leaving us high and dry like so many others. I give you all the credit for the support. It is most appreciated. Will be enjoying these games for another 10 years i hope.
  • BitBaboonBitBaboon Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    I'll ask again. What if the problem is with a mod for the non-kingdoms game? I can't get Darthmod to work.

I've been looking this and its actually an existing incompatibility, the mod notes mention the CTD, so...

to get it working you need to delete the sound pack in the mod :

1) Delete the files in DarthMod\data\sounds
    2) Copy events.dat and events.idx from Medieval II Total War\data\sounds to Darth\data\sounds"
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,218Registered Users
    edited August 2014
    BitBaboon wrote: »
    I've been looking this and its actually an existing incompatibility, the mod notes mention the CTD, so...

to get it working you need to delete the sound pack in the mod :

1) Delete the files in DarthMod\data\sounds
    2) Copy events.dat and events.idx from Medieval II Total War\data\sounds to Darth\data\sounds"

Hey Bit,

Can you check please the ladders height during siege battles in small town and middle town?(with wooden wall)
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)