Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

cannons become invincible when they are moving

gly3608gly3608 MemberRegistered Users Posts: 109
cannons become invincible when they are moving
Post edited by gly3608 on

Comments

• ARTOISARTOIS Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 878
    edited August 2014
    expand... iv admiteddly only started playing this game for 5 hrs (after sick of R2 pathcing etc) but iv not notice dthis ?
    You KNOW I'm right.
  • StrategeStratege Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 647
    edited August 2014
    I observed something similar concerning the crew in Napoleon and Fall of Samurai sometimes. Even if the crew is retreating sometimes it is difficult to kill them and sometimes they even kill their pursuers.
  • EllEzDeeEllEzDee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 864
    edited August 2014
    It's only after going back to play Medieval 2 that i've (kind of) understood the cause of this.
    Bit of a guess here, but gun carriages (in Empire, Napoleon, and even FotS) all seem to use similar scripting to the siege equipment in previous games. Remember how siege towers could only be destroyed by a direct hit from an artillery piece, and nothing else (besides the semi-random chance of arrows setting them alight)? And remember how when you'd send your men in to melee with the siege piece, they'd crowd around for a while doing nothing before the siege piece was suddenly "destroyed", taking a bunch of men with it? It's exactly the same with gun carriages.

So my guess is they just copy and pasted the scripting for siege equipment and used it for gun carriages.
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • ARTOISARTOIS Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 878
    edited September 2014
    ok i've noticed this now, i attacked a parrot gun unit while they were limbered up..with a general unit...my general unit size got halved, with zero casualties on gunner's side...
    You KNOW I'm right.
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,641
    edited September 2014
    Basically when a cannon is limbered, the health of the men and the health of the cannons are combined. That means that you have to hit them with quite a lot of damage before they go down, but they're not invincible.
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandRegistered Users, Moderators Posts: 8,876
    edited September 2014
    This has been around at least since ETW. As said, they are not invincible, but perhaps incredibly robust.

A hit from your own cannons will do the job, but I prefer charging them. Usually with cavalry, though infantry may be a bit more effective.
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 812
    edited November 2014
    Sasu's sorcery.

In all likelyhood it's what LSD said.