Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Amazon units. (oh yes, we're going there)

SetrusSetrus Senior MemberSwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,842
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
First of all; Got to thank Sebidee for his help! His unit mod tutorial was essential to me, and he even helped personally whenever I asked, which is beyond what anyone can expect, great thanks! :)

This mod adds 16 units to the Pontic roster, 16 units of deadly women, more precisely.
Why Pontus? Because it's a faction that's around the black sea (appropriate) which is a flc faction, meaning everyone has it...and it has a nice mixture of greek and eastern traits as well as being close to the Nomands enough to get ideas from them. (like women fighting. :p )

These units are pretty varied in role, though with a distinct hellenic/eastern style to their fighting, much like the rest of the Pontic roster. The units are different enough that you can use them in any distinct part of a mixed army, or to create an entire amazon army...go roleplay!

This mod is patch 15 compatible but not patch 14 compatible. (think you can play them in custom battle on patch 14 though...and in custom battles, you can use any unit of the 16 as a general unit, or as normal, so you can play around and test stuff and such.)

Generally, these units aren't overpowered, I'd say. They sacrifice melee attack compared to similar units in favour of melee defense and morale. So while most units don't dish it out that well, they can take a lot of punishment and still fight on.

Now, with that done, the units...

Amazon militia; Recruitable in any settlement, they're disciplined enough to form a phalanx if required, but not disciplined enough to hold their formation in any other situation, making them capable enough for a militia, but nothing impressive.
FPChaHX.jpg

Amazon slingers: Recruitable in any settlement, these are the young girls of the amazons who, before being granted their full rights and obligations, still go out to fight and gain honour. They're surprisingly good with their shield and capable eastern-style sling, not to mention fairly brave, but they die as easily as any unarmoured soldier...
5yzftmu.jpg

Amazon archers: Requires the basic military recruitment building, these women are not only armoured in leather in contrast to many enemy skirmishers, but also carries not only a good bow, but also a spear if things get a bit more hectic. While not great in close combat, they are still a viable tool once they've run out of amunition to aid their comrades.
NO3Rice.jpg

Amazonian peltasts: Oh boy, here's a damage-dealer. Requiring the second level of skirmisher building, these ladies are not only heavily armoured even by peltast standards, but besides their javelins, they are also well-trained in melee. Not as good as amazon infantry or such, but almost, which makes them an extraordinarily good support-unit.
fw0UX7T.jpg

Amazonian light infantry: Avaible from the second level of skirmisher building, these women are not skirmishers, but their bane. Armoured in leather, carrying good shield, extremely swift and with great endurance, these women might seem ill-disciplined, but they're trained to fight in a looser fashion and are great in hunting down routers as well as supporting cavalry-action.
vCVVGAO.jpg

Amazon horse-archers: Pretty self-explanatory, avaible from the second level skirmishing building, these women are the "true" amazons, or rather, the inspiration this tribe took from the nomads given form on the battlefield.
mDXQcB9.jpg

Heavy Amazonian horse archers: Avaible from the third level skirmishing building. An upgrade to the unit above, with great armour, good stats and brave hearts, these women are scary to face indeed...and yes, their predecessors can be upgraded to these women once military settlement is researched.
Can be a general's bodyguard.
Rh800H4.jpg

Handmaidens of Athena: Like the amazon archers, they're armed with spear and bow while being armoured in leather...but these women are better in every respect. Braver, quicker, harder, tougher, they are battlefield priestesses inspiring troops around them to hold and fight on.
Avaible from the fourth skirmishing level building, also avaible as a general's bodyguard.
T7lJ57i.jpg
Don't worry.
Post edited by Setrus on

Comments

• SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,842
    edited September 2014
    Wild Amazons: Avaible from the basic military recrtuitment building, these women are a light lance cavalry unit containing women too wild for civilised life who lives more akin to the nomads inspiring their society. Pretty fragile, but useful as a hammer on the battlefield and to support tougher cavalry on the flanks.
    8wkICxB.jpg

Amazonian cavalry: Armed with spears, precursor javelins and with good armour, these women fight hard to guard the flanks of their foot-bound comrades. They're more of a holding block than damage-dealers, though they can give many similar cavalries a run for their money indeed, highly useful!
    Avaible from the second building of the main military chain, and also avaible as a general's bodyguard.
    M4wOsFq.jpg

Amazon chariots: Couldn't resist. :p
    Avaible from the siege chain, these chariots do...well, what chariots do, really, they crush their enemies under their wheels or schythes them apart. Avaible as a bodyguard unit.
    XJQwuaS.jpg

Amazon hoplites: Avaible from the first military building and on, these women are decently armoured, got the reliable hoplon and carries spears. They're skilled on the defensive and brave, making them a hard holding black for any foe to get through, allowing their cavalry and skirmishers to do their thing.
    YmK0iE1.jpg

Amazon heavy hoplites: The previous unit can be upgraded to these once military settlement has been researched, further, they're recruitable from the third level of the main military building chain. Better spears, better armour, a slight bump in all skills, these women are a worthy upgrade to their baser version, and can hold for an amazing amount of time against tougher foes.
    B1HDSG2.jpg

Amazon infantry: Also aviable from the third level of the main military building chain. With precursor javelins, swords and good shields, these are slightly more offensive units than their hoplite comrades. Don't expect them to cut through hordes of enemies, but while almost as able to hold as the hoplites, they're able to dish out more pain as well.
    mX3zWUi.jpg

Amazon vanguard: Avaible from the fourth level of the main military building chain. They're not as offensive and brutal like thracian nobles, but they do pack a punch, and the addition of some melee defense and formation attack makes them toughter in a longer grind of a fight. Still, between ferocious charge and the devastating rhompaia, why shouldn't you bring some as backup?
    Avaible as a bodyguard unit.
    grgq71S.jpg

Daughters of Hades: Avaible from the fourth level of the main military building chain. Like the Amazon infantry, but carrying hoplons, better scale armour and sporting an inspiring precense due to the sheer power, these are truly an elite infantry that can not only fight and hold for ages, but also dish it out in copious amounts.
    Avaible as a bodyguard unit.
    ejCkUID.jpg

So that's it, then, go, have fun with them!

PS: I know the unit cards aren't the prettiest. ;)
    Don't worry.
  • IzzyStradlin#2842IzzyStradlin#2842 Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,626
    edited September 2014
    Setrus wrote: »
    This mod adds 16 units to the Pontic roster, 16 units of deadly women, more precisely.

:rolleyes:
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,354
    edited September 2014
    Awesome job. These units look great.
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
  • Welsh_Dragon#6554Welsh_Dragon#6554 Senior Member Great BritainRegistered Users Posts: 2,914
    edited September 2014
    These look great.

One question: Have these been balanced for the base game? (What puts me off some unit packs is they seem to have been balanced for the extensive changes that other mods have made, rather than being strictly 'adds new unit options to the existing game.')
    edited September 2014
    Izzy...you're horrible. ;)
    Awesome job. These units look great.

Cheers. :)
    These look great.

One question: Have these been balanced for the base game? (What puts me off some unit packs is they seem to have been balanced for the extensive changes that other mods have made, rather than being strictly 'adds new unit options to the existing game.')

Basically I stared very hard on various greek units, lowered attack and increased defense and morale, I wouldn't call them anything close to overpowered. :D (remember a battle where some legionaires hacked down the amazon infantry with very few losses...until some amazon archers could sneak around for flanking shots. So the amazon infantry has staying power, but unless you go Hades crazy, not much killing power...missile troops are fairly flexibly though, making them very helpful. :) )

PS: Hehehehe...is there a "unit creep" going on in unit mods? I thought that was reserved for Starcraft and WoW patches... :D
    Don't worry.
    edited September 2014
    Ignore, had to roll it back.
    Don't worry.
  • AdamYahyaAdamYahya Senior Member Kuala LumpurRegistered Users Posts: 3,318
    edited September 2014
    I always wanted to do an Amazonian mod which started as a horde (without any settlement) at the edge of the map made up of all women warriors and the goal is to destroy the world of men.

May I use your units if I ever get to do that ? :)
    edited September 2014
    Of course. :)
    Don't worry.
  • Sgt. JohnyMcChickenSgt. JohnyMcChicken Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 405
    edited September 2014
    Would be awesome if this get's combined with female generals for pontus(amazonia). That way we would have complete female armies, obviously 100% historical ;).
    edited September 2014
    That might actually be in the work, depending on another mother. :D
    Don't worry.
    edited September 2014
    So removed Pontus' access to all but the artillery ships and pieces (and the mobs, got to have those. :p ) and changed the garrisons in all Pontic towns to Amazon soldiers.

Also, shoutout to Lysandra's Pontic female general mod. :D

Also added a score of naval ships.

kibL7oZ.jpg

tMC0N4x.jpg

Jm0h5Yp.jpg

NMAprt4.jpg

gDEWeDu.jpg

crM8h2O.jpg

5qKdFz6.jpg

yATILBU.jpg

vCisT4U.jpg

iBCPHDn.jpg

mdL6ONu.jpg

9bmfCx6.jpg

qPK4tB5.jpg
    Don't worry.
    edited April 2015
    I find this upsetting.

Fine, take the mod, fine, reskin it, fine, give them new stats, fine, add it in some overhaul.
    Not asking permission for the work you just took, even if you changed some tiny bits (yes, skins IS a tiny bit) is bad though.
    Claiming it's been created by you is bad.
    Deleting my comments just asking for some acknowledgment is bad.
    This is why paid mods is a bad idea, this is downright rude.
    Don't worry.
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    edited April 2015
    I´ve seen it a week ago and was asking myself, if it was not to similar to your amazonian mod...

Did you report this to Steam/Valve?
    edited April 2015
    It IS the mod, it's my old unit cards, it's my tables, yeeeep. :p

Yep.
    Don't worry.
    edited April 2015
    I find this upsetting.

Fine, take the mod, fine, reskin it, fine, give them new stats, fine, add it in some overhaul.
    Not asking permission for the work you just took, even if you changed some tiny bits (yes, skins IS a tiny bit) is bad though.
    Claiming it's been created by you is bad.
    Deleting my comments just asking for some acknowledgment is bad.
    This is why paid mods is a bad idea, this is downright rude.

I noticed that as well. I was wondering if that was a coincidence. That's really messed up. It's already got over 1,200 subscribers and he's asking for donations from people who like "his" work.
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
    edited April 2015
    I noticed that as well. I was wondering if that was a coincidence. That's really messed up. It's already got over 1,200 subscribers and he's asking for donations from people who like "his" work.

Yep, what a...*sighs*
    Don't worry.
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    edited April 2015
    edited April 2015
    I reported them as well. Mod thiefs make me so angry
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
    edited April 2015
    Thank you, guys. :)
    Don't worry.
    edited April 2015
    I had a lengthy conversation with Jack_BlackBeard about modding ethics and he'll be happy to give you credit
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
    edited April 2015
    "(Thanks to Setrus for some content)"
    Woo. :D:p
    Don't worry.
    edited April 2015
    "(Thanks to Setrus for some content)"
    Woo. :D:p

He did have "thanks to Setrus for some original content" after I got done talking to him which I figured would be the best I'd get out of him but then later he changed it to that. What a piece of ****

Hahaha I left a scolding comment a few minutes ago about how he got rid of the "original" part and ended it with "F*** you. Sincerely, I mean that" and I just checked back and my comment was deleted and he changed it back to "thanks to Setrus for some original content"
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
    edited April 2015
    *laughing* Okay, this is almost getting funny now. :D
    Meh, will tear him a new one later, I think.
    Don't worry.
    edited April 2015
    *laughing* Okay, this is almost getting funny now. :D
    Meh, will tear him a new one later, I think.

lol He deserves it. Getting this kid to give credit where its due was like pulling teeth to him
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
  • tediitedii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited July 2015
    Hi,

Is there any alternative download link possible other than through steam?

I bought the hard copy of RTW2 (emperor edition) and I don't use steam (I only buy hard-copies, a bit old-fashioned but it's also cause my internet is pretty slow). Which update(s) is this compatible with?
    Also, I want to edit some of the db tables myself (note: for my own personal use, I'm won't be sharing it) because I have edited all the unit stats to balance the game myself and to use this mod I would like to scale everything accordingly.

Also, I really do like the look of your unit models so I hope you can help me out.
    Cheers,
    Tedii
  • Welsh_Dragon#6554Welsh_Dragon#6554 Senior Member Great BritainRegistered Users Posts: 2,914
    edited July 2015
    tedii wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there any alternative download link possible other than through steam?

I bought the hard copy of RTW2 (emperor edition) and I don't use steam (I only buy hard-copies, a bit old-fashioned but it's also cause my internet is pretty slow). Which update(s) is this compatible with?
    Also, I want to edit some of the db tables myself (note: for my own personal use, I'm won't be sharing it) because I have edited all the unit stats to balance the game myself and to use this mod I would like to scale everything accordingly.

Also, I really do like the look of your unit models so I hope you can help me out.
    Cheers,
    Tedii

Tedil, you have to use Steam to play RTW2 even with a physical copy. So as you are using it anyway, why not download the mod through steam?

(P.S. I prefer physical copies of major title too, so you aren't alone. :D)
    edited July 2015
    Tedil, you have to use Steam to play RTW2 even with a physical copy. So as you are using it anyway, why not download the mod through steam?

(P.S. I prefer physical copies of major title too, so you aren't alone. :D)

Sorry, to avoid confusion, I do play the game through steam. I meant that I don't download games through steam and as a result I'm not too familiar with the steam application.
    Also I don't really know how to use to steam workshop (I think that is what it is called :/ ) coz I don't normally get my mods from there normally just from TWCenter.

If I do download mod from steam, is it possible to mod it myself using tools like PFM?
    edited July 2015
    Sure, if you download a mod from steam, you can create a new mod with the PFM and add all the tables and such from my mod, then modify it to your convenience without me able to overwrite it when I update and such. :)

Anyway, all you need to go into the steamworkshop for Rome 2, there's a button a bit down on the Rome 2 screen on steam, and find this mod and click "subscribe" to download it. :)
    Don't worry.
    edited July 2015
    Sure, if you download a mod from steam, you can create a new mod with the PFM and add all the tables and such from my mod, then modify it to your convenience without me able to overwrite it when I update and such. :)

Anyway, all you need to go into the steamworkshop for Rome 2, there's a button a bit down on the Rome 2 screen on steam, and find this mod and click "subscribe" to download it. :)

Okay, I think I have downloaded the mod but I only have found a 903 kb package file. Seems a bit small :/

And when I try to open it using PFM (running ver 3.5) I get an error message that doesn't let me open it.

Also, the mod manager that I use can't seem to find the mod.

Any ideas?
    edited July 2015
    Huh? Amazonia should only be 515 kb big, with the picture being 121 kb... :confused:

Try this then?

https://mega.co.nz/#!ntxklTKY!sIwu8wEQ9vmy5CA6uhYJk-fcjN09hgtIL6vrs-RSBY4

I have no idea what mod manager you use, mate. :)
    Don't worry.