Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

NTW Gold Edition Install From Disc???

StannerStanner Junior MemberPosts: 14Registered Users
edited October 2014 in Napoleon: Total War
I purchased NTW gold edition in CD form, and installed from the 2 CD's. Near the end of the install there was about 4 minutes in updates that were automatically installed. The whole process took about 40 minutes.
I started the game and it loaded fine.
I cannot find NTW on my hard drives so I conclude that I am really running the game via Steam. Correct?

In Steam there are insturctions on INSTALLING FROM DISC INSTEAD OF STEAM where In the Steam LIBRARY I am to
select NTW, right click and select DELETE LOCAL CONTENT and confirm.
Then I am to insert the 1st CD disc, and exit from Steam.
I am then to run the Steam exe and Steam will ask me to sign in.
Installation should continue from the discs.
This process will INSTALL NTW GOLD on my computer, correct? This means I would not need an active STEAM
internet connection to run NTW Gold in the future, correct?

Thanks,
Stanner
Post edited by Stanner on

Comments

• PikenierPikenier Senior Member Posts: 587Registered Users
    edited October 2014
    You just have to switch Steam to the offline-modus to play it without any internet-connection.

This has nothing to do with the installation process you are talking about in the second paragraph. The game must always (and can only) be installed in the steam folder, whether you purchased it online or via CD. The files can be found under ...C: (or any other drive)\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war
  • StannerStanner Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited October 2014
    Pikenier,
    Thank you. I found NTW files where you indicated. I assume that although the folder is labled NTW, that it is the gold edition since
    I installed from the Gold edition CD and did not download from Steam except for a 4 minute update. Is this correct?

Thanks again,
    Stanner
    edited October 2014
    Should be correct. Even when installing from CD the game has to be installed and verified via Steam (copyright protection). Hence no other destination path is valid. And when steam already updated the game you should now have the final version with all patches.

An internet connection is therefore only needed for the installation and verification process (+ the updates). Now you just have to switch steam to the offline-mode: In the main Steam window, go to 'menu' and select 'go offline'. Click 'Restart in Offline Mode' and then you can close steam and play without internet in the future. But sometimes (once a month or so) there is still a steam-update requested. Only when this is done you can play your games further ...
    edited October 2014
    Pikenier,
    How can I tell if I have the Gold edition installed? I looked in the NTW folders but can find no mention of it, or any of its additional,
    components, such as The Pennisular campaign, Imperial Eagle pack etc.
    Also when I turned on the game for the first time, I noted that the first item on top of the menu listed as CAMPAIGN was not lit,
    all the others were lit up. Is this normal?
    Thanks,
    Stanner
    edited October 2014
    Ok, answered my own question. Found The Peninsular Campaign tab in the game so I must have the Gold Edition installed.
    Thank you.

Stanner
    edited October 2014
    Ok, seems like all is fine and settled now. Have fun playing the game. :)