Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

NTW AI: Single Player Historical Battles at Highest Levels

VieillardVieillard Junior MemberPosts: 1Registered Users
edited January 2015 in Napoleon: Total War
Bonjour Mes Amis,

I've never played computer war games but recently installed NTW (Limited Edition) as a way to learn about 19th Century cavalry tactics.

I wasn't interested in playing the various NTW Campaigns, just wanted to manipulate the cavalry squadrons around the game's virtual battlefields to gain understanding of their various functions in warfare in real time (more or less). I started playing the Historical Battles (land battles) as a Single Player and quickly became hooked on that aspect of NTW.

I've been playing about a month now and have achieved Silver Level in six battles (Waterloo-British, Ligny, Dresden, Borodino, Friedland, Pyramids) and Gold Level in three (Lodi, Austerlitz, Arcole). Waterloo (French) is proving difficult and I am currently at normal level (Copper).

I have been watching Youtube videos to acquire insight into the strategies needed for victory. The most useful have been those posted by Shepherd492, who demonstrates the Hardest Level (Gold) for the various battles.

I have also experienced some of the technical problems mentioned online and worked through them. Installation on my PC was not easy or intuitive, the game still often refuses to load on command, etc., but I understand these types of glitches are typical of many online games.

As a complete beginner I was more concerned with the lack of any in-depth Manual or Guide for NTW. Remember, I've never played any war game. The pamphlet included with the CA discs seemed woefully insufficient. Online discussion boards (such as this) were unclear to me, and involved mostly issues within the Campaign aspect of the game.

Little by little, though, I've learned to control Napoleon's Grande Armee units and I've achieved a small measure of success in battle.

But now I'm stuck.

~~~

I don't really comprehend how the NTW Artificial Intelligence works. Because I only play as a Single Player I am, of course, always matching wits against the AI. This is where the Youtube instructional videos were essential to my learning curve.

But I've recently noticed -- especially with Borodino (Gold) and Waterloo-French (Silver) -- that the responses of enemy forces to my troop movements bear no relation to Shepherd492's videos. My enemies seem much more aggressive and robust, and the recommended strategies don't seem to work.

I have taken extensive notes on Shepherd's Youtube presentations, played these battles numerous, numerous times, and now, at these harder levels, I'm finding myself defeated within the first few minutes by attrition. That is, after the initial engagement I recognize I don't have enough forces remaining to push to a win.

My AI question is this:

Has the NTW AI been "patched" or modified so that Sheperd492's videos are no longer relevant, or am I missing something subtle?

I mean, in Borodino (Gold) I dodged all the deadly accurate Russian artillery, annihilated the Bagration Fleches, I killed the Russian General (Kutusov?) in the forest, I was running around on top of the Raevsky Redoubt with Napoleon and his cavalry, I destroyed all the artillery there, and in the end I had Napoleon and his full entourage, one fully functioning artillery unit, several loose fusiliers-- the Russians only had a dozen or so militiamen in Borodino village -- and, when time ran out, I still lost!!

You can tell I love the NTW game, but WTF??

For now, adieu.

Vieillard
Post edited by Vieillard on

Comments

• LecourbeLecourbe Senior Member Posts: 610Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Yes Vieillard, if you are the attacker, you have to make sure that every enemy unit is routing from the field before the time runs out. It works in the reverse also. If you are the defender, the enemy has to make sure that all of your units are routing to gain victory. I have fought many battles where I only had, for example, one cavalry regt., & I simply led the enemy a fine dance all around the edge of the map, continually until time ran out. Even when they outnumbered me with many Infantry regts., they could not catch me, & I gained the battle because I survived without routing.
  • EllEzDeeEllEzDee Senior Member Posts: 864Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    For Borodino, take the fleches with light infantry and line infantry, and keep your cavalry out of range of the unicorns until you've done so. You can usually bring a lancer along to hit the enemy infantry in the rear if it looks safe.
    Then you can take all those cav regiments and send them to well beyond the fleche to a small cluster of river crossings near where their general is. He's usually defended by the odd cavalry regiment, but with all the cav you have, you can easily overcome them.

Once the general is dead, the rest of the battle becomes much easier.

And don't bother trying to use your own artillery in any offensive manner. Send them forth from where they start and deploy them once they're in range of the unicorns. They'll distract them, and usually get a few kills too, but eventually they'll be destroyed or routed.
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • KaiserjägerKaiserjäger Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited January 2015
    In my opinion the Battle of Friedland following the Battle of Nile are the most difficult ones. Anyone knows any good tactics for these battles?
    edited January 2015
    I have found that the best way to defeat the Russians at Friedland is to take advantage of the fact that you already have Marshal Lannes corps on the field to distract their attention for a good while. While they are engaging him, rush all of Napoleon's army up onto the high plateau on the left of the field. Place your two gun batteries to shoot together down the forward access slope. Place your Infantry on either side of these guns to support them. When Lannes is defeated, the Russians will attack you on the plateau & you are now ready for them. Place your Young Guard regt. facing the Right side access slope, as you will also be attacked there, & maybe support them with a Dragoon or Cuirassier regt. Place Napoleon, the Old Guard & the rest of your cavalry to the rear of your main line, ready to fill in the gaps if a unit gets routed. Beware that Russian cavalry sometimes tries to get around the rear left of the plateau to attack you through the forest. Make the Russian cavalry your first artillery target, & try to eliminate it before it does any damage. Then you can deal with their infantry as it assaults the plateau via the two access slopes.
    Good Luck.
    edited January 2015
    Thank you very much for the guide. I will try it and i will let you know about the results.
    edited January 2015
    Lecourbe wrote: »
    I have found that the best way to defeat the Russians at Friedland is to take advantage of the fact that you already have Marshal Lannes corps on the field to distract their attention for a good while. While they are engaging him, rush all of Napoleon's army up onto the high plateau on the left of the field. Place your two gun batteries to shoot together down the forward access slope. Place your Infantry on either side of these guns to support them. When Lannes is defeated, the Russians will attack you on the plateau & you are now ready for them. Place your Young Guard regt. facing the Right side access slope, as you will also be attacked there, & maybe support them with a Dragoon or Cuirassier regt. Place Napoleon, the Old Guard & the rest of your cavalry to the rear of your main line, ready to fill in the gaps if a unit gets routed. Beware that Russian cavalry sometimes tries to get around the rear left of the plateau to attack you through the forest. Make the Russian cavalry your first artillery target, & try to eliminate it before it does any damage. Then you can deal with their infantry as it assaults the plateau via the two access slopes.
    Good Luck.

That work perfectly and I won the battle as golden. Thank you very much!!!
    edited January 2015
    My pleasure, KJ. :)