Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lol found another little Paradox dig at Rome II

2»

Comments

• Frederick_WilliamFrederick_William Senior Member Posts: 779Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    I suppose it is subjective on how much someone feels a DLC is worth. I more often than not think that the DLC from Paradox is way over priced or should just be in the game for free. Upgrading fleets, transferring sieges, and fighting for your vassals CBs for example are something that should of been in the game from the beginning imo. There were flaws in the game because of the missing features. Rather than patch them in, you have to pay money. Those unit texture things for different groups should of just been added to the game for free.($2 for something so little)

While CA is better imo at releasing DLC for their value, there are times I do feel it is a tad over priced. I would rather pay for something like campaign packs because they add something to the game than faction packs.(faction packs are debatable depending on what they are) I am not a big fan for paying for something that should of been in the game to begin with.(example for the most part would be the Art of War DLC for $20)

I also think I saw someone make a comment about how paradox patches continually improve the game without breaking it. Look at the last patch. They managed to make the game unplayable for many due to the sheer amount of frame rate trouble.(I use to play on speed 5 with no problem, I couldn't even play speed one until the hotfix after the last patch) Something that should of been noticed.

I would agree with the comment about Total almost being 2 games in 1 with the campaign and battles compared to just the "campaign" in EU4. (That being said, that doesn't excuse the state that Rome 2 released in)

It is probably a good thing I buy things during steam sales because I actually pay for what something is worth more often than not.

Anyways this is all my opinion, I am sure someone disagrees.

Edit: I will go ahead and say the expansions for CK2 are more of expansion then some of the Eu4 ones.
  • QuigleyerQuigleyer Senior Member Posts: 1,339Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    eXistenZ2 wrote: »
    My point is that Paradox games arent that well finished either at release, given the huge amounts of patching and mechanic changing both CK2 and Eu4 have received. (there is also some complaint about that on their forums). And sorry, just because they release some free content along with patches, (although the line between patching and free content becomes very thin) that doesnt negate that quite some content and mechanics remain locked away with dlc. Since we are talking about Art of War, this is the list:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?2032-1.8-Patchnotes-Paid-Free-New-Features

Quite a lot are very influential in how the game is played. And that is only one dlc

Im not bashing Paradox, im just pointing out that neither CA or them is perfect, and that they are equally on the dlc train as any other game company. And in my opinion even a bit more, since too many gameplay features come as dlc.

So check out this hilarious list of free features that came out with the same patch to update the game. All of the stuff listed in the DLC features you posted is about expanding your war experience, which is what the DLC is about.

900 NEW PROVINCES ADDED? for free? Haha, I'm gonna load up EU IV again (and play for 20 minutes before realizing I just wanna play CK II)- I didn't know this happened.

Free update stuff is below the paid stuff:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Patch_1.8

The free stuff is listed below the paid stuff. Lots of content for free that has to do with the base game, but not necessarily warring. The DLC is only enhancing war features. You can wage war very well with the base game (did it all the time), however it appears there are features to make it more in-depth contained within the DLC. Only 2 of those things I see I think should be in the base game.

I tried to copy and past them, but the forum says it's too long. Seriously look at it.
  • winsunshinewinsunshine Senior Member Posts: 820Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Quigleyer wrote: »
    So check out this hilarious list of free features that came out with the same patch to update the game. All of the stuff listed in the DLC features you posted is about expanding your war experience, which is what the DLC is about.

900 NEW PROVINCES ADDED? for free? Haha, I'm gonna load up EU IV again (and play for 20 minutes before realizing I just wanna play CK II)- I didn't know this happened.

Free update stuff is below the paid stuff:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Patch_1.8

The free stuff is listed below the paid stuff. Lots of content for free that has to do with the base game, but not necessarily warring. The DLC is only enhancing war features. You can wage war very well with the base game (did it all the time), however it appears there are features to make it more in-depth contained within the DLC. Only 2 of those things I see I think should be in the base game.

I tried to copy and past them, but the forum says it's too long. Seriously look at it.

Do you want me to post changes of free patch from many Item mall MMOs? Lot of non-sense stuffs in free patches is the worst thing as its break the game and you need the DLC feature to make the game tolerable again. The DLC-exclusive content make the game much more easier and PDS game now look like a cheap social network game where you paid to expanse your realm faster.
  • QuigleyerQuigleyer Senior Member Posts: 1,339Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Do you want me to post changes of free patch from many Item mall MMOs? Lot of non-sense stuffs in free patches is the worst thing as its break the game and you need the DLC feature to make the game tolerable again. The DLC-exclusive content make the game much more easier and PDS game now look like a cheap social network game where you paid to expanse your realm faster.

900+ new provinces, a re-worked college of cardinals(!!!), trade changes (not sure I get that?), additional trade nodes, and an increased presence of reformation religion aren't tiny. Those are fairly large gameplay-related changes. Especially the 900 new provinces, that's pretty insane.

The other stuff is bug fixes and your small item MMO stuff. New trade goods is a bit bigger, but not that big of a deal.

Do MMOs usually give you 45% more detail or area on your map for free? I don't play a lot of MMOs- serious question. I guess the free to play ones might, at some point?

I wouldn't even call this a strong Paradox DLC, but it still remains obvious that nearly all things being sold to you are just add-ons to the war side of the game and do not restrict the base game play. Upgrading entire fleets and armies should be in the base game, though- I'll concede on that. Honestly I thought they did upgrade when you changed troop types, but apparently not?
  • DuckyDuck[NL]DuckyDuck[NL] Senior Member Posts: 1,114Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    I suppose it is subjective on how much someone feels a DLC is worth. I more often than not think that the DLC from Paradox is way over priced or should just be in the game for free. Upgrading fleets, transferring sieges, and fighting for your vassals CBs for example are something that should of been in the game from the beginning imo. There were flaws in the game because of the missing features. Rather than patch them in, you have to pay money. Those unit texture things for different groups should of just been added to the game for free.($2 for something so little)
    Well atleast they add the missing features. While RTW II still misses alot and could be added with patches and DLCs but they dont.

While CA is better imo at releasing DLC for their value, there are times I do feel it is a tad over priced. I would rather pay for something like campaign packs because they add something to the game than faction packs.(faction packs are debatable depending on what they are) I am not a big fan for paying for something that should of been in the game to begin with.(example for the most part would be the Art of War DLC for $20)

QUOTE]CA DLCs are also overpriced if you ask me the dont add mutch more then copy/past units nothing new that adds to the game.

I also think I saw someone make a comment about how paradox patches continually improve the game without breaking it. Look at the last patch. They managed to make the game unplayable for many due to the sheer amount of frame rate trouble.(I use to play on speed 5 with no problem, I couldn't even play speed one until the hotfix after the last patch) Something that should of been noticed.
    RTW II still got prformance problems since release and atleast paradox hotfix it CA dont you need to wait for a new patch "And now there are still alot of bugs that came with patch 15 that could be hotfixed befor next patch why put a patch in beta if you dont fix major problems"

I would agree with the comment about Total almost being 2 games in 1 with the campaign and battles compared to just the "campaign" in EU4. (That being said, that doesn't excuse the state that Rome 2 released in)

It is probably a good thing I buy things during steam sales because I actually pay for what something is worth more often than not.

Anyways this is all my opinion, I am sure someone disagrees.

Edit: I will go ahead and say the expansions for CK2 are more of expansion then some of the Eu4 ones.[/QUOTE]

But yeah before the DLCs they added it for free in patches when the didn't got the time before release. Now with the DLCs they can support the game way longer but only if they do it how it sould be done add new content and machanics and features to the game to make it better not just sell factions with a few copy/past units.
  • EnadEnad Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Leving wrote: »
    That being said, even though one could argue that the Black Sea Colonies DLC is balanced for the vanilla game and opens up those factions for multiplayer, the thing that is truly irritating is the fact that it locks those factions for those who do not buy it. In other words this means that for modders and their subscribers who have been using those factions for months they are now being forced to pay for something which they had for free.

Where was it stated that those mods won't work as they do now for people who don't buy the DLC?

I don't see why the All Factions Playable mod wouldn't work the same way it does now for people who didn't buy the DLC with Massila, Colchis, Pergamon and Cimmeria being playable but without the new unit rosters from the official DLC.

Please enlighten me if this was proven not to be the case.
  • Steppeup2Steppeup2 Senior Member Posts: 368Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Enad wrote: »
    Where was it stated that those mods won't work as they do now for people who don't buy the DLC?

I don't see why the All Factions Playable mod wouldn't work the same way it does now for people who didn't buy the DLC with Massila, Colchis, Pergamon and Cimmeria being playable but without the new unit rosters from the official DLC.

Please enlighten me if this was proven not to be the case.

Just trust me it wont work after ca releases the dlc
  • Frederick_WilliamFrederick_William Senior Member Posts: 779Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    @ duck your quoting is off so it is a little hard to read.

None the less I'll try to respond.
    Well atleast they add the missing features. While RTW II still misses alot and could be added with patches and DLCs but they dont.

They did release a patch(EE) that did improve the political system among other things for free.

Rome 2 still needs some work imo but what are the odds that CA is going to release a DLC making the political system better? As an example lets say they make it as good as it looks in Atilla. I doubt they would and the amount of hate they would receive for charging people money to replace a faulty political system would be enormous. $20 to improve on on the politics area that should of been a lot better, more detail, more useful/not more or less pointless since the beginning.

I look at the list of things in the Art of Wat DLC and cant help but ask "why was that not here since the start?"

-You can upgrade armies with a single click but not a navy? You have to disband your navy and rebuild it from scratch so it is up to date.

-Using your vassals CBs. Another thing that should of been there since the beginning.

-Build an army/navy with the template sounds nice, something that sounds like it could of been added a long time ago.

-Transferring sieges. This fixed one of the more annoying things about fighting wars that should of been handled a long time ago.

I look at what was in that DLC and just can't see it being worth $20 because most of it should of been added a long time ago. If you release a half completed/faulty mechanic, you should fix it, not ask people to buy your faulty game, so you can charge them more money to fix it. maybe this is just me that believes this.

When I buy a DLC, i want an add on to the base game. Not a fix for the base game with a few minor new things.
    CA DLCs are also overpriced if you ask me the dont add much more then copy/past units nothing new that adds to the game.

Depends on what you are referring to imo. Campaign packs I would disagree with, faction packs I can see your point. This is why steam sales are your friend. Get what you want for cheap or what you think they are worth.

I would say CA does a better job at adding things to the game(rome 2) via DLC that paradox does with Eu4 but this is my opinion.
    RTW II still got prformance problems since release and atleast paradox hotfix it CA dont you need to wait for a new patch "And now there are still alot of bugs that came with patch 15 that could be hotfixed befor next patch why put a patch in beta if you dont fix major problems

That part of my post was directed at someone more or less(the vibe i got) saying that Paradox games didn't have any performance issues.(That part of my post was about Eu4, not defending Rome 2) I didn't say Rome 2 was running perfectly or didn't have it's own issues. It does and I wish they were resolved. That being said CA has released patches(numerous) fixing performance issues. To say Paradox does and CA doesn't is just false.

I am also not sure what bugs you are referring to, if it is a major 1 it may take longer to fix(like say getting the Siege AI working) but if it is a small one that everyone is having, it tends to get fixed. if it is one of those 1 in a million and hard to reproduce, it may take a while. My post about the performance issue for EU4 was pretty obvious bug/fault/issue that should of been caught.(it was very common issue) IDK how that got through Q&A. My only guess outside them ignoring it/not being able to fix it in time would be that they all have very high end computers and didn't experience it. You would have to wonder why they don't try using lower in computers to see if things ran ok with 900(?) new provinces.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited November 2014
    Clearly off the rails.

As the subject is a post in Paradox forums it is also off topic and questionable as to what the intent of the OP is with this information.

Closed with prejudice. It is inadvisable to make me do this again.

~Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
This discussion has been closed.