Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thorax Swords Need Boost

2»

Comments

• hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,834
    edited November 2014
    Who uses swords men as Macedonia? learn the game please, they are a pikemen focussed faction lol
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,737
    edited November 2014
    bargrim2 wrote: »
    Who uses swords men as Macedonia? learn the game please, they are a pikemen focussed faction lol
    i do....
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    edited November 2014
    bargrim2 wrote: »
    Macedon is a combined arms faction, they have serviceable units in almost every category and can have many a build which doesn't need to include pikemen at all.
  • IdioManiacIdioManiac Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 330
    edited November 2014
    Sigh...

Alright, in Rome 2 there are 2 types of balance related to multi-player. Unit Balance and Faction Balance. When I was saying that Thorax needed to be buffed I was referring to unit balance, as a UNIT they are not worth their money IMO.

Now many people are countering with the fact that Successor States are not Sword Factions. That I understand to an extent. Now if that is how the devs also feel about it. i would counter with dropping the price. Obviously many of you are opposed to this. But her eis my overall problem.

Pikes are not relevant in high level play outside of pike boxing. Macedon as someone pointed out is a Pike Faction as are most successor states. Now out side of boxing, which is ******ed and should never be considered a viable strategy pike oriented armies are too easily flanked and overwhelmed by sword rushes.

Thus we reach my problem. Without a chariot or elephant play. The Successor states are left with next to no options apart from camping and hopeing your inf last long enough for the missiles to do enough damage. Now before another person says use hoplies it wont work. Your archers will simple kill more hoplites then swords after they are engaged in melee. This is ofc ignoring the holes left in your army from hoplite formation, allowing enemy cav to go right into your archers.

Now once again before anyone says what about using your cav to block your enemies cav. I will say a few things. harder said then done. People pull through your cav constantly and it only takes one to ruin your skirmish line.

My natural response to these problems was to give the thorax a boost. As a pike fix is next to impossible, as the units themselves are well balanced but they as in reality are past the point where the phalanx can adjust to the ever more mobile battle field.

Also, this i my last post on this topic if CA feels the thorax could use a price reduction or stat boost (either of which I am fine with) then so let it be if not then hopefully they will fix pikes somehow so they can turn with there pikes in phalanx or something.

Mini Challenge

Now I will post this mini challenge although I would bet 5 dollars none of you brave keyboard warriors are willing to take me up on it. Go Macedon and beat my tylis. Only rules is no noob/pike boxing, or if you prefer tourney style rules. If you manage it on the first try I will personally gift the person any rome 2 dlc up 2 10 dollars of their choice.
    Me
    [-DF-] Skritshell: Hey whats up?
    [-DF-] Chaos: about to start a tourney game
    [-DF-] Skritshell: cool guy any good?
    [-DF-] Chaos: Should win 2-0
    [-DF-] Skritshell: and?
    [-DF-] Chaos: lost 2-0
    [-DF-] Skritshell: ahhh
    [-DF-] Skritshell: well done
    [-DF-] Chaos: ty
  • HannibalBarkasHannibalBarkas Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,860
    edited November 2014
    Someone already posted this comparison. Thorax swordsmen have almost the exact same stats as equally (actually slightly higher) priced units. So what are you talking about?
  • PandaTheWarriorPandaTheWarrior Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 959
    edited November 2014
    Idomaniac, add me thx. I'll go for the challenge.
    "because you know nothing of multi-player and know nothing of tactics." Hero of Freedom (Too much GoT)

I'm Panda_Warrior on steam.
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläRegistered Users Posts: 2,163
    edited November 2014
    Sup Immortal/Chaos,i`m up for the challenge any time.
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team Beastmen

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

Coming back on track with dem uploadz soon !
  • DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKRegistered Users Posts: 1,136
    edited November 2014
    I'm up for the challenge but you'll probably run off again
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
  • 59tiger9559tiger95 Senior Member mommy told me not to talk to strangersRegistered Users Posts: 681
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like fun, hit me up on steam: 59tiger95

I'm going to use pikes thoraxes and agrianian axe men. Maybe tarantines
    "A man who will not die for something is not fit to live"- Martin Luther King Junior

Hey if you have the time check out my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/59tiger95
  • SjirikiSjiriki Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,370
    edited November 2014
    Someone already posted this comparison. Thorax swordsmen have almost the exact same stats as equally (actually slightly higher) priced units. So what are you talking about?

I find it odd that the OP avoids this fact.
  • GentlemenGentlemen Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 156
    edited November 2014
    I think they are one of the best units in the game they are just so **** reliable in every situation. They last long enough against non super elite infantry and can hold up against missiles and cav for awhile. Plus you pop a couple of chevrons on em they can make even elites take awhile to beat them down. I mean I would love a buff just because they are my favorite unit in the game but do they need it? Not at all they are fine the way they are.
    Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
    Spartans said only one word "If"
  • sigrsigr Senior Member west midlands, UKRegistered Users Posts: 715
    edited November 2014
    Thorax swords are underpowered? Really? While we're at it why don't we buff those CLEARLY terrible chariots as well?
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,834
    edited November 2014
    Does the OP play the game? They are a medium class sword infantry that last forever and are CHEAP to field, they hold the line and do decent damage while giving you a chance to flank.

They are perfect for sieges, try besieging with an army of pikemen...

They are nice defenders too due to throwing javs.

I think they are an alround decent unit but im spamming pikemen with my Macedonian armies to be more Macedonian lol.
  • BillyRuffian#6250BillyRuffian#6250 Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,926
    edited November 2014
    Posts removed. Keep it civil guys, or the thread goes down - and probably a few casualties. This is a discussion thread not a macho challenge.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • |Sith|DesertFox|Sith|DesertFox Senior Member Siegfried LineRegistered Users Posts: 458
    edited November 2014
    piff well Immortal you really should have seen Thorax swords before patch 9 then. They were absolute ****, they cost 640 and their stats were absolute garbage. Patch 9 buffed them considerably and now they are a very dang good sword unit. I honestly don't see where you are coming from lowering their cost or raising theirs stats would overall be quite dumb. They are fine where they are, they are not supposed to be able to beat Barbarian infantry. What they are is a good holding force and a very versatile sword unit. They are fine at the point they are now :)
    "Who I am is not important, my message is." ~ Darth Reven
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!! https://www.youtube.com/user/teubel98/feed
  • SeleucidHeroSeleucidHero Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    edited November 2014
    Thorax swords are good but they're cheesy as hell. You can just pop the name of a faction in front of "Thorax swords" and change their Melee Atk/Weapon Dmg/Armor/Melee Def/ like chosen swordsmen and how they're different according to faction. What was CA thinking on the elephants . First of all, elephants were so close to perfect, you just needed to increase the difficulty for them to go berserk. The elephants did need a slight mass increase but now theyr're gonna go berserk from a volley of legionarie pilla and stomp on your own men with their increased mass.
    I'm worried about Azat knights. They're currently the worst units in the game along with Indian armoured elephants.
  • |Sith|DesertFox|Sith|DesertFox Senior Member Siegfried LineRegistered Users Posts: 458
    edited November 2014
    Thorax swords are good but they're cheesy as hell. You can just pop the name of a faction in front of "Thorax swords" and change their Melee Atk/Weapon Dmg/Armor/Melee Def/ like chosen swordsmen and how they're different according to faction. What was CA thinking on the elephants . First of all, elephants were so close to perfect, you just needed to increase the difficulty for them to go berserk. The elephants did need a slight mass increase but now theyr're gonna go berserk from a volley of legionarie pilla and stomp on your own men with their increased mass.
    I'm worried about Azat knights. They're currently the worst units in the game along with Indian armoured elephants.

Indian armored elephants weak What game or you playing they are nuts hard to kill now?????
    "Who I am is not important, my message is." ~ Darth Reven
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!! https://www.youtube.com/user/teubel98/feed