Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Multiple temples

TrexmasterTrexmaster Junior MemberPosts: 4Registered Users
edited December 2014 in Rome: Total War
Is there a method to edit the game's directory & make any factions build more temples to different deities within their pool (roman, barbarian...)?

Take Scipii, as example:

>You can build only one temple, per settlement/city, dedicated to Saturn or Neptune or Vulcan.
>The roman pool of Gods consists of: Bacchus, Ceres, Jupiter, Juno, Mars, Mercury Neptune, Saturn & Vulcan.

What should I edit in order to make Scipii build all 9 roman temples, within the same settlements? Imagine, sometime later in the game, Capua having 9 Pantheons.
Not to mention that the SPQR, if you change it to playable, it cannot build any temples.

BONUS question: Aside from the temples issue, can I make the Scipii train Velite & Samnite gladiators, besides their Mirmillo ones?
Post edited by Trexmaster on

Comments

• irishronirishron Senior Member Posts: 1,408Registered Users
    edited December 2014
  • TrexmasterTrexmaster Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    I'll have to know the script of what the author's done. I'm mainly interested to do this to all the roman factions (including the SPQR) and a couple of barbarian ones.

For now, thank you for it, irishron.

I'd want to leave this topic open in case somebody wants to do a step-by-step tutorial.
  • irishronirishron Senior Member Posts: 1,408Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    Unzip in a place like C:\Temp\RTW MM and tale a look at his files that way. There is more than one file in there. What you wish to do is possible.
  • CheChe Senior Member Posts: 804Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    Trexmaster wrote: »
    Is there a method to edit the game's directory & make any factions build more temples to different deities within their pool (roman, barbarian...)?

Take Scipii, as example:

>You can build only one temple, per settlement/city, dedicated to Saturn or Neptune or Vulcan.
    >The roman pool of Gods consists of: Bacchus, Ceres, Jupiter, Juno, Mars, Mercury Neptune, Saturn & Vulcan.

What should I edit in order to make Scipii build all 9 roman temples, within the same settlements? Imagine, sometime later in the game, Capua having 9 Pantheons.
    Not to mention that the SPQR, if you change it to playable, it canot build any temples.

BONUS question: Aside from the temples issue, can I make the Scipii train Velite & Samnite gladiators, besides their Mirmillo ones?

I get temples of other factions by conquering their cities. :) I find the strategy of this way more interesting than simply modding the game to be able to build everything I want myself. (Playing as the Gauls, I like to allow the Romans to build up some nice infrastructure that Gauls can't build, such as high level roads, before I conquer their cities ;) ) However, I understand that not everyone may enjoy this as I do.
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
  • LegioXIIILegioXIII Senior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    Che wrote: »
    I get temples of other factions by conquering their cities. :)

There are however two problems with doing that in the unmodded game. The first is that unless it's a top of the line temple I don't think you can upgrade it. (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.) The second is that you'll incur a cultural penalty for having a foreign building in your city, which will affect your disorder.
  • CheChe Senior Member Posts: 804Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    LegioXIII wrote: »
    There are however two problems with doing that in the unmodded game. The first is that unless it's a top of the line temple I don't think you can upgrade it. (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.) The second is that you'll incur a cultural penalty for having a foreign building in your city, which will affect your disorder.

I know :) It can be worth it to keep such a temple - and the 2 drawbacks you mentioned are part of the challenge of the game. I don't want the game any easier - I enjoy the challenge - so I won't mod that out.
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
  • TinaTina Posts: 1Registered Users
    I found this thread because, when I play Rome, I always want to conquer the ancient world in the name of Aphrodite—but I feel bad when I demolish existing temples to build one for her. (I like to think I’m a nicer conqueror than that!)

I looked at that mod—it seems the meat of the changes are in descr_settlement_plan.txt (with some rebalancing in export_descr_buildings.txt). The most confusing aspect is that, in my version of Rome (1.51), temples have internal names like “temple_of_love” at levels such as “temple_of_love_large_temple,” while in the mod, the internal temple names are like “love” at levels such as “large_temple_love”. I initially thought this was just a change in the naming scheme between 1.2 (the version for which the mod was written) and 1.51, until I tried comparing the mod files to the corresponding files from Rome 1.2; not only does 1.2 use the same internal temple names as 1.51, but most of the files in the mod seem solely devoted to changing the temples’ names (from “temple_of_justice temple_of_justice_shrine” to “justice shine_justice,” etc).

Anyway, the point is—I tried making a version of the mod’s descr_settlements_plan.txt, incorporating all the changes that the mod makes while still using the internal names from my version of Rome. (This file is attached.) I’ve tried using it, and—whether or not I’m modding the base game or using the mod-switch, whether or not I’ve started a new game—I still can’t build more than one temple! Were the changed names significant, somehow? Is there something else I’m missing? Or did the one-temple limit somehow get hardcoded in between 1.2 and 1.51? Ay yi yi… anyway, thanks!