Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Where's the population?

RiekopoRiekopo Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,254
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
We have all these different factors in Attila like food, immigration, fertility, sanitation, and disease. Yet there are no real population numbers? It doesn't make any sense. At the very least, change the single digit growth numbers into real population numbers so this all will make some sense.
Post edited by Riekopo on

Comments

• GelstonGelston Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,591
    edited January 2015
    Riekopo wrote: »
    We have all these different factors in Attila like food, immigration, fertility, sanitation, and disease. Yet there are no real population numbers? It doesn't make any sense. At the very least, change the single digit growth numbers into real population numbers so this all will make some sense.

Pretend!
  • OxuOxu Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 651
    edited January 2015
    It isn't reLly necessery in my opinion, but wouldn't be that hard to implement i think.
  • sasquatch94sasquatch94 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 166
    edited January 2015
  • SeborSebor Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 977
    edited January 2015
    I noticed in todays twitch stream that when at one point he wanted to start a new army (he had just 1) he was not able to because he did not have enough population surplus. So I guess in some ways you got what you wanted.
  • RiekopoRiekopo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,254
    edited January 2015
    Sebor wrote: »
    I noticed in todays twitch stream that when at one point he wanted to start a new army (he had just 1) he was not able to because he did not have enough population surplus. So I guess in some ways you got what you wanted.

That's more a manpower system than a population system. That's a very interesting find though. Where was that in the video?
  • ThatRickGuyThatRickGuy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 133
    edited January 2015
    You have to imagine it lol.
  • LinkeLinke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 821
    edited January 2015
    You have to imagine it lol.
    That is if you mod it out
  • SeborSebor Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 977
    edited January 2015
    Riekopo wrote: »
    That's more a manpower system than a population system. That's a very interesting find though. Where was that in the video?

Not sure it came up several times towards the end when he was in France. He tried to recruit armies but just couldn't because of no population surplus.

In my opinion the only real interesting thing about population is if it limits army recruiting. Which it currently seems to do in Attila. So with that I think the population system is perfect for me.
  • winsunshinewinsunshine Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 820
    edited January 2015
    Not sure it came up several times towards the end when he was in France. He tried to recruit armies but just couldn't because of no population surplus.

In my opinion the only real interesting thing about population is if it limits army recruiting. Which it currently seems to do in Attila. So with that I think the population system is perfect for me.

The population system is in that preview is terrible. Basically, as a horde, you need some population to create a new general. It has nothing to do with how many unit you want to recruit. Population surplus only use once to create that general, after that, you can recruit million of soldiers if you want with that general, no effect on growth rate or population surplus despite you let your men die like fly.

One of the most lazy pop system I ever seen.
  • sasquatch94sasquatch94 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 166
    edited January 2015

I don't know what videos you guys are watching because from what I have seen the only thing that will limit you in Attila is going to be imperium. I haven't seen a population dynamic affect armies once.
  • Wombles.Wombles. Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 561
    edited January 2015
    Don't know about you guys/gals but every time I see a tread about population I have recurring nightmare's of the population system in Rome, where you had to recruit countless peasants and send them on their last voyage too get the population down in your bigger cities.
  • OhdowsOhdows Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2015
    Wombles. wrote: »
    Don't know about you guys/gals but every time I see a tread about population I have recurring nightmare's of the population system in Rome, where you had to recruit countless peasants and send them on their last voyage too get the population down in your bigger cities.

And an ancient world with billions of people in them!
  • iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesRegistered Users Posts: 1,373
    edited January 2015
    In 1 of the videos by Sun Jetzu he mentions an immigration tab in the UI don't know how that effects the game but if you nuked a region I would expect the people there to move to adjoining regions boosting populations but maybe causing unrest.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • RealWarfareRealWarfare Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,036
    edited January 2015
    Population is an interesting concept for immersion, but it is manpower that has the real strategical impact and hence the gameplay value. You could argue that imperium already represents this, to a limited extent - but it does a rather poor job at it. It's not dynamic, you don't get to field more armies by occupying a number of settlements unless the next level of imperium is reached. That besides of the point that it only limits the number of armies, not troops - in other words you cannot deplete manpower that isn't there. So at best, imperium offers a very limited and poor representation of military capacity, while it may do a more decent job of giving bonuses or penalties depending on level.

With a real manpower system that is adapted to the unit sizes, there would be very real consequences for losing troops and waging lengthy wars. Definitely something that fits the series - it has been present before, although with a certain need for refinements. It's not merely interesting for how wars are waged, but as well in terms of where you want to build military compounds, making certain regions more suitable depending on how many men you could potentially extract from there.

If they add this back, hopefully there'll be some changes to army logistics as well, another aspect where there's a lot of potential.
    The best is yet to come
  • wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 474
    edited January 2015
    Gelston wrote: »
    Pretend!

I'm sorry what is this word you say?
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================

TOTAL WAR: Three Kingdoms / Thrones of Britannia / Warhammer 1 & 2 / Attila /
    Rome 1 & 2 / Rome - Alexander / Empire / Napoleon / Shogun 1 & 2 / Medieval 1 & 2 / Medieval Barbarians /
    All games listed have all DLC's & Packs that were offered /

====================================================================================
  • BigSauce93BigSauce93 Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited October 25
    Riekopo said:

I hate to Necro, but I'm leaving the answer here for anyone else looking;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIEWING POPULATION & AVAILABLE MANPOWER in ATILLA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - click on the settlement you want to view.
    2 - go to the bottom left corner, under "Province Effects".
    3 - you will see 4 green emblems. hover over the 3rd from the left. (it looks like 3 people)
    4 - while hovering, you should see additional information.
    5 - LEFT CLICK to cycle the MULTIPLE tables, until you find the information you are after.

hope this helps somebody,

- BigSauce