Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just tired of the meta game works

venansulavenansula Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 199
edited February 2015 in Total War Eras Multiplayer
Enough with the swords rush builds. CA don't even bother to reply. I'm not gona play the game anymore untill it has fixed. If Attila also has the same mechanism, i won't play it either, even tho i have pre purchase it.

As a veteran player of this game i wanna express my feeling of such a disappointment on it.
Post edited by venansula on

Comments

• PandaTheWarriorPandaTheWarrior Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 946
    edited February 2015
    You are lucky, Attila is coming out soon.
    "because you know nothing of multi-player and know nothing of tactics." Hero of Freedom (Too much GoT)

I'm Panda_Warrior on steam.
  • DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKRegistered Users Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2015
    Pretty much everyone hates the meta
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
  • Pine89Pine89 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 580
    edited February 2015
    hopefully you will be tired only for 2 more weeks :)
  • DudeStu1DudeStu1 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 317
    edited February 2015
    I don't see much sword spam, sure there is a tendency towards swords but I still see great variety in units. I think the game is incredibly balanced. There seems to be no easy recipe at the moment, and if you have figured out the "counter" build for each faction, then you just just spend too much time analyzing and scrutinizing a silly game.

It would be nice to see less javelins though, the javelin thing is just absurd.
  • BelialxvBelialxv Senior Member SteppesRegistered Users Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2015
    I feel the same as you do Ven... I stopped playing Rome2 seriously a long time ago and some of the most skilled players left after EE went out (good decision to be honnest).

If the same meta is in place in Attila, I will probably have enjoyed Rome2 realese more than Attila one.

P.S. The worse isnt swords: its infantry destroying cavalry with those FING precursor javelin... Basically: Cavalry need to be very strong for me to enjoy a TW game (Med2 is a good example of a good game with strong cavalry, that allow long battle but that allow people to do quick and massive damage with some units).
    Considering that the time period of Attila saw the cavalry becoming the deadlier tool on the battle field (Sarmatian cataphract or Hunic horse archers), I do have hope for Attila :o
    ajz9uoslnqoi.jpg

HUITZILOPOCHTLI

god of war

LIZARDMEN #makelustriagreatagain
    Clan Moulder #masterclan
  • venansulavenansula Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 199
    edited February 2015
    DudeStu1 wrote: »
    I don't see much sword spam, sure there is a tendency towards swords but I still see great variety in units. I think the game is incredibly balanced. There seems to be no easy recipe at the moment, and if you have figured out the "counter" build for each faction, then you just just spend too much time analyzing and scrutinizing a silly game.

It would be nice to see less javelins though, the javelin thing is just absurd.

:eek:
  • heavycavalryheavycavalry Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 113
    edited February 2015
    We all tired of the boring barb. infantry spam.
    steam ID:[han]heavycavalry1
  • justaTWfanjustaTWfan Member Registered Users Posts: 76
    edited February 2015
    If you think about it, it's ironic that barbarians dominate the rome game of the franchise!!... This kind of balance would be far more appropriate for the attila/barbarian invasion game! A pity, the most anticipated game of the series (rome 2) after 16 (sixteen!!!) patches has serious balancing issues... I think since release that's a patch/month roughly... It's not like they haven't tried..(post-release at least). What more is there to be said..
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,737
    edited February 2015
    balance should not be centric around what faction is on the label....
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
    edited February 2015
    Not being rude for the sake of it but it just shows that CA don't understand multiplayer very much, the amount they have changed it from patch to patch and managed to make it worse than it was before. Sad to see really. I'm optimistic for Atilla but logically why would I think it would be any better? If we can go back to how Rome was in it's best state or better it will be fine. If it plays like emporer edition then I'm just stuck here waiting for arena beta
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

• MooseDeeMooseDee Banned Banned Users Posts: 359
    edited February 2015
    venansula wrote: »
    Enough with the swords rush builds. CA don't even bother to reply. I'm not gona play the game anymore untill it has fixed. If Attila also has the same mechanism, i won't play it either, even tho i have pre purchase it.

As a veteran player of this game i wanna express my feeling of such a disappointment on it.

It's good that you can admit to buying a product you don't have much confidence in as most Atilla pre orderers have more concerns than excitements over the game but can I ask why you are purchasing a product you don't intend to commit to or enjoy?

Do you gamble?
  • Demetrios of MesseneDemetrios of Messene Member Registered Users Posts: 30
    edited February 2015
    I was about to post pretty much the same thing as MooseDee. If you are doubtful about a game, why are you pre-ordering? What matters most to CA (and this is perfectly reasonable) is your money, not your criticism/ complaints/ suggestions on the forum.

Your pre-ordering counts much more than 1000 constructive posts and for CA (or any company for that matter) it is confirmation enough that they are doing a fine job as it is.
  • Thorien_KellThorien_Kell Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,529
    edited February 2015
    Exactly that. But I know why they pre-order: because they love TW and have been bored out of rome2. It's understandable, yet, we still have post of patch typos three pages long and still lost of unresolved issues and problems with a game, not to mention MP balance issues, all that while enduring most disgraceful launch of TW game ever, with proper game year overdue.

Can you really say that you're surprised if atilla won't be any good launch? While we reward their greedy company policy they would be stupid to change it. Don't get me wrong, I'm most devoted fan of TW and been playng it since shogun 1, but i also don't like to be taken for a fool.
  • MooseDeeMooseDee Banned Banned Users Posts: 359
    edited February 2015
    Exactly that. But I know why they pre-order: because they love TW and have been bored out of rome2. It's understandable, yet, we still have post of patch typos three pages long and still lost of unresolved issues and problems with a game, not to mention MP balance issues, all that while enduring most disgraceful launch of TW game ever, with proper game year overdue.

Can you really say that you're surprised if atilla won't be any good launch? While we reward their greedy company policy they would be stupid to change it. Don't get me wrong, I'm most devoted fan of TW and been playng it since shogun 1, but i also don't like to be taken for a fool.

Some people are higher emotion lower intellect, some are low emotion higher intellect. Some are the wolf, some are the sheep.
    edited February 2015
    I honestly don't see too much of a problem here. Perhaps in competitive environment, however in general MP people tend to bring ... anything and everything really - but balanced armies in vast majority of cases. There is always many noobish players who do helenic sword rushes (believe it or not even they can win sometimes, I have several replays in my folder named "WTF??") in fact I think player ratio is pretty much same as it was in shogun, there are 50% of players that are either newbies or just don't care to learn about game, there are 20-30% of players who actually know what they are doing, have decent micro, properly picked armies and use competetive factions and there is occasional excellent /high ranked player.

I am always pleasantly surprised when I see properly arranged army in MP, often chatting messages like "oh, nice, finally NON noobish player" often starting conversations that way and new ppl on my friend list.

What I was saying that game is now perhaps more suited for sword but ultimately some tool has to be best, isn't sword most realistic one? What you want to see sparta /adriaei battles all the time?

I'm not saying game is propperly balanced yet, I still hope that they will incorporate most of changes reptilicus mentioned in his big as's thread, mostly stronger melee cav, stronger morale shocks, no jav anti cav bonuses and javs removed from cheap troops, but even now I see all types of units used in MP, I've encountered 14 swords 8 spears spam once in last month or so. Otherwise my experiences in army composition and fair play were vastly positive and better then in shogun - if we forget dumb unfair maps.

I'm even constantly surprised how faction like tylis gets picked so rarely.

Oh, one more thing, you guys that are high ranked can't take no chance because as I can see now getting better ranked myself recently one stupid defeat can cost you whole day of grinding. So you probably using most efficient /boring setups, that could be of a problem too. I have more "fun" army setups then competitive ones.
    edited February 2015
    Hardly anyone plays quick battle because the leaderboards are ****** anyway due to all the cheaters
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

edited February 2015
    But quick battle, although possibly flawed, is for me essence of what TW MP is really about - meeting random people and kicking their as's : ) You never know what you're gonna find for bad or for good. I've met such interesting people and army composition they use that I never would know otherwise. I'm even reluctant to speak publicly /reveal about some of amazing underdog factions and tactics not to screw my new met buddies up.

I deliberately don't care about ladder, because then loss stresses you out, I was relatively high ranking on shogun 2 ladder, like 180th-something place or so (with no good retainers like blademaster mind you!) but then every battle was "for real" and that kind of mindset can be stressful. And I knew than there were infamous cheaters like tsu clan, I wasn't aware that there are cheaters even now? I know many guys high ranked in ladder, some from shogun, some are my buddies, against many I've played, even won sometimes and I would estimate that most of them are very skilled. Exceptions always exist, ofc.
  • Ernesto_HErnesto_H Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,735
    edited February 2015
    Thorien Kell you are great.
    edited February 2015
    Thanks buddy (is it you..??). I'm not sure if this was sarcastic remark or not tbh : )
  • heavycavalryheavycavalry Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 113
    edited February 2015
    Quick battle is very unfair for those start in lowland.
    steam ID:[han]heavycavalry1
    edited February 2015
    MooseDee wrote: »
    It's good that you can admit to buying a product you don't have much confidence in as most Atilla pre orderers have more concerns than excitements over the game but can I ask why you are purchasing a product you don't intend to commit to or enjoy?

Do you gamble?
    I was about to post pretty much the same thing as MooseDee. If you are doubtful about a game, why are you pre-ordering? What matters most to CA (and this is perfectly reasonable) is your money, not your criticism/ complaints/ suggestions on the forum.

Your pre-ordering counts much more than 1000 constructive posts and for CA (or any company for that matter) it is confirmation enough that they are doing a fine job as it is.

The state is : You hate something but it wont sway your loyalty. Did i said i was a veteran players ? My first Total war Game is Shogun Total war, i was playing it Since late High School in 2000 right before graduation. Ever since i'm a Total War Series players.Now i'm 32 Years old, and all my friend have left the game because getting old and fat, busy with their fams. For me i want my son to play this game also when he is starting to understands gaming. So my loyalty with Total War are not gona leaven, but this thread i make just to express how the disappointment i get from the lacks of the game developers commitment to serve their beloved fans and players.
    edited February 2015

Oh you feel me brother. I love you more than ever bud. :D
  • Strategist6Strategist6 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 141
    edited February 2015
    Assuming there has to be a strict meta to a TW game, I would really prefer Rome 2 to be basically anything but sword infantry meta (except for rome). Hoplites I think are in a great place, but pikes and cav are not where they should be. Another thing is I would much rather have Hellenic levy pike meta with melee cav (remember the baktria days?) than the current sword meta. I mean pikes and hoplites kind of define the period.

If there is to be a sword meta in a TW game, it should be Attila. I guess the problem is the barbs and rome are the only good sword factions. I would much rather have barbarians be underpowered. They used to be a fun challenge. In contrast, hellenic and eastern factions are NOT fun as a challenge.
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Registered Users Posts: 1,489
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I'm tired too but I think most of that is game fatigue.

Just really bored of Rome 2.

Time for something new.

Like Grey Goo.
    My Rig:
    i7 8700k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    32GB 3000Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Registered Users, Smiley Posts: 3,641
    edited February 2015
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,737
    edited February 2015
    i just hope Attila will be more responsive when it comes to tactics, it feels cheap to lose to someone you outplay.
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Registered Users, Smiley Posts: 3,641
    edited February 2015
    Well looking at the streams the pacing and the morale looks a lot better than Rome 2 EE. Should definitely be a refreshing change even if it isn't perfect.
    edited February 2015
    Yeh the cav looked better in the videos I saw but you can't judge it yet
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

• PandaTheWarriorPandaTheWarrior Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 946
    edited February 2015
    Yey grey goo, awesome moral feature.
    "because you know nothing of multi-player and know nothing of tactics." Hero of Freedom (Too much GoT)

I'm Panda_Warrior on steam.
  • Danko10Danko10 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 120
    edited February 2015
    I saw yesterday in the live stream that the cheap barbarian spears from the start of the campaign,tier 1 or 2,fought most of them till 20 men without wavering. So the moral in my opinion is still broken in Attila. Rome II is the worst game in the entire franchise and it became this after they screwed up everything they did good in 14 patches with only one patch,Emperor Edition/Broken Edition.

We can only hope for Attila to be better but i doubt it.
    [-TWR-] Danko on Steam .