Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Differences between Mac & Windows version? (Also, running off external drive?)

pratolanopratolano Senior MemberPosts: 112Registered Users
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Hello!

Does anyone have any extensive experience running either the Mac version or running off an external HDD?

These are kinda two separate topics, but I'll save a thread. I'm running the Steam version of the game on a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. Hard drive space is limited because I have a the 251 GB SSD. I've split the drive down the middle between Bootcamp (Win 8.1) and Mac. I had been running the game on the internal Bootcamp partition with no problems, but I need to clear a lot of room for Attila and won't have enough disk space for both games.

I'm debating which OS to run the game on going forward. I also am going to be using an external hard drive (an old 1TB internal drive with an enclosure, attached with USB 3.0) to run the game. It's not ideal performance-wise, but it's necessary because of the limited space.

So far, my Mac version has crashed a few times. I also noticed that when using the first-person camera, it doesn't always let you turn 360; it's more like 180. I'd prefer running the Mac version but not if I'll be missing out on any features or have frequent CTDs. I'll be running the DEI mod on whichever OS I use. (If it works out well, I might even try running Attila the same way.)

Thanks! :)
Post edited by pratolano on

Comments

• Ironside12Ironside12 Senior Member Posts: 6,127Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    If you're on a Mac, play it on Mac OS, Rome II doesn't support Bootcamped OS's. The Mac version does have more crashes and such compared to the Windows version, but since you'll be going through Bootcamp, you'll have just as many problems either way.
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    Balancing is a far more intricate thing than looking at who wins a 1v1 fight.

My Build:
    CPU- i7-4790k Devils Canyon @4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H110i GT
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    PSU- Corsair 1200i 1200W
    GPU-R9 290X Sapphire Tri-X
    Boot Drive: Intel 530 series 240GB SSD
    Game Drive: Intel 730 series 480GB SSD
    Storage Drive: WD Black 2TB HDD
  • pratolanopratolano Senior Member Posts: 112Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    Hi Ironside,

Thanks for responding. Just to clarify - I've only had the game for about a month but I've been playing on the Bootcamped Windows the whole time. It's worked great without any crashes. I used the Nvidia GeForce Experience software to optimize the game, too (I have a GTX650 in the MacBook). But that's no longer an option for me since I had to remove it in preparation for Attila's 35 GB install in a couple of weeks. :( [unless I run the Windows version from the external HDD]
  • CobblarsCobblars Senior Member Posts: 186Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    Out of interest, I found some games have Mac specific features when compared to their Windows equivilent. Is that at all the case where TW games are concerned?
    edited February 2015
    I hope someone can answer that better than me, but one thing I noticed is that on the Mac version, when you right-click for more info/to go to the encyclopedia, it kicks you over to your actual Google Chrome instead of using the in-game browser. I actually just found that setting in the user preferences file and changed it to use the in-game browser by default.

The other difference I've noticed so far is that there's no launcher in the Mac version (with a mod manager) so you have to edit a preferences file to list any mods you'll be using. It'd be nice if the Mac version had some other benefit I haven't found yet.

Finally, on the Mac side I did not see a checkbox for "Unlimited Video Memory" in the Advanced graphcis settings. I did find that in the user preferences file. I think setting it to "true" caused a couple of crashes when I was heading into a battle, though. I wonder if I need to change the video memory setting in that preference file (changing the amount) in addition to just setting unlimited to "true." I saw someone in another post telling someone to set the memory to -2000, but I'm not sure what that would do.
    edited February 2015
    Just a follow up, I did some benchmark tests with the same settings on my Bootcamp/Windows 8.1 and my Mac Yosemite OS. These are all done with a USB 3.0 connection to an external drive containing the Steam library.

The Mac shows that the GeForce GT 650M has 1024MB of memory, but Windows thinks it has 965MB.

On 1680x1050 resolution, Bootcamp gets an average of 32-34 FPS.
    On Mac, at 1680x1050 it averages 24 FPS.

Even at 1440x900 (I think that's native, right?) Mac gets 28 FPS.
    And even at 1920x1080, Bootcamp averages between 28 - 33 FPS.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, that's strange how much Windows outperforms Mac with the same settings when it's a MacBook Pro. You'd think it would be the opposite!
  • Bane1020Bane1020 Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    Speaking of Macs, suppose i have a friend who owns the mac version of Rome II TW, and i use a windows PC, would we be able to play online?
    Swift as the Wind, Silent as a Forest, Fierce as Fire and Immovable as a Mountain.
  • OlmizOlmiz Senior Member Posts: 125Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    pratolano wrote: »
    I hope someone can answer that better than me, but one thing I noticed is that on the Mac version, when you right-click for more info/to go to the encyclopedia, it kicks you over to your actual Google Chrome instead of using the in-game browser. I actually just found that setting in the user preferences file and changed it to use the in-game browser by default.

Q: The Encyclopaedia minimises the game and opens a web browser. How can I view the Encyclopaedia in-game?

A: This feature can be modified through the preferences.script file found in:
    ◦ ~/library/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/scripts (for the Steam download)
    ◦ ~/library/Containers/com.sega.mac.rome2/Data/Library/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/scripts (for the App store download)
    Open the file and search for the term external_browser true; then change this to external_browser false; and re-save the preferences.script file. The Encyclopaedia will now open in-game.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem et esse delendam.
    edited February 2015
    pratolano,

I've played a lot both versions, Mac and PC, and I don't see much differences between them (I speak about Steam version only, in App Store you can't i) get DLC and ii) play online (but I've bought it too to support CA's commitment to make games for Macs :) )). Video settings are little bit limited in Mac version, but there is still a beautiful picture (in 2560x1440 and max settings). I can't say that the Mac version is crashed more frequently, I have only 1 or 2 crashes. But my PC version crashes occasionally and my PC after that crashes almost dies - it backs to life only after pressing Reset. :eek:

I'm not IT expert but I have concerns about playing a game installed on external HDD. I suppose the bandwidth of USB 3 isn't enough to do it.
    Bane1020 wrote: »
    Speaking of Macs, suppose i have a friend who owns the mac version of Rome II TW, and i use a windows PC, would we be able to play online?

Q: Can I play multiplayer with a PC Player?
    A: Unfortunately there is no cross-platform multiplayer functionality, though you can play with other Mac users (Steam version only).

There is FAQ for Mac version.
  • CobblarsCobblars Senior Member Posts: 186Registered Users
    edited February 2015
    Olmiz wrote: »
    Q: Can I play multiplayer with a PC Player?
    A: Unfortunately there is no cross-platform multiplayer functionality, though you can play with other Mac users (Steam version only).

There is FAQ for Mac version.

Really? That is dissapointing and limits the appeal of getting an iMac again.

This must limit Mac users to SP content, for it must be very difficult to find enough people around to get much use from the MP side of TW.
    edited February 2015
    Cobblars wrote: »
    Really? That is dissapointing and limits the appeal of getting an iMac again.

This must limit Mac users to SP content, for it must be very difficult to find enough people around to get much use from the MP side of TW.

Yes. I believe CA will change it in the future. Rome 2 is the first port (portable code I mean) to MacOS which was done by CA (without Feral Interactive).
    edited February 2015
    Good to hear, thanks Olmiz. Actually, running it off the external HDD so far has not affected very much, which is surprising! I've only had small- and medium-scale battles so far, no sieges, but I get the impression that the majority of the game is running off my MacBook's RAM? (If true, mine fortunately has 16GB.) Moving around the campaign map and all that is not very different, performance-wise either. If it continues to perform well, I'll be very happy as I'm saving a whole lot of HDD space! :-)
    edited February 2015
    pratolano wrote: »
    Good to hear, thanks Olmiz. Actually, running it off the external HDD so far has not affected very much, which is surprising! I've only had small- and medium-scale battles so far, no sieges, but I get the impression that the majority of the game is running off my MacBook's RAM? (If true, mine fortunately has 16GB.) Moving around the campaign map and all that is not very different, performance-wise either. If it continues to perform well, I'll be very happy as I'm saving a whole lot of HDD space! :-)

Wow! It's very interesting experience, thanks pratolano!