Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unable to start game - Steam issue or Atilla....?

vimesvimes Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 106
edited February 2015 in Gameplay Issues
Hi

Pre install done a little while ago and then this morning the gmae unpacked. I get the start menu and then press play to find this....

error.jpg

I then verify the games cache and it fails to verify 12 files and so downloads them. Then exit steam and restart it to then be greeted by the same message.

Tried playing Total War ROME II - Emperor Edition and that is fine. Launched Dying Light and that too is fine, and so are all my other games - well the few Steam ones I tried.

Nothing is modified with Steam and nothing has been added.

It is a new install of Steam, the Client, as well.

Not sure if it is related but I see this for Rome II.....

Rome.jpg

and this for Atilla....

Atilla.jpg

Atilla showing a functioning Mod Manager but Rome II no longer doing so...?

Any ideas...?
Post edited by vimes on

Comments

• DeadlyDangerDeadlyDanger Junior Member ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 74
    edited February 2015
    I also have to verify the 12 mystery files over and over. However, the game doesn't even launch for me.
  • vimesvimes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 106
    edited February 2015
    This is what I have done now...

Removed Rome II
    Removed Atilla - so much for the pre-load, lol
    Uninstalled Steam

I have now reinstalled Steam and I will just install Atilla.

I'll report back on what happens.
    edited February 2015
    Ok did the above and still got the error and the game will not run.

I verfified the files....

steam error.jpg

and they were frine but still I get the warning error as noted in the first post.

This game will not start for me.

All other games will start fine.

I now need to reinstall Rome II.

Sigh
  • Lord_Maximus77#3771Lord_Maximus77#3771 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 3,383
    edited February 2015
    The error specifically states it is your Steam installation that is corrupted NOT THE GAMES.

Please reinstall Steam itself. And make sure you have a quality and well known Anti Virus / Anti Malware program active.

Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited February 2015
    As noted the Steam installation is new, just done (twice now).

All Steam games launch and play fine - no issues.

The game now fails with needing to acquire 12 files......

12 files.jpg

and then the game appears to be fine but will generate that error.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid version) and others ran and AV is present. System reported clean.
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKRegistered Users Posts: 2,580
    edited February 2015
    Hi Vimes,

We are still investigating your issue.

We will comeback to you as soon as possibel with new information/solutions.

Thanks for your patience,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 2015
    Hi Vimes,

We are still investigating your issue.

We will comeback to you as soon as possibel with new information/solutions.

Thanks for your patience,

Matthias

Thanks but I seem to have resolved it.....

Steam was installed on my 120GB SSD C drive within its default location of Program Files (x86) and my games folder was set to point to D:\Steam Games

It was recognised and had no issues with any of your titles or other games. My D drive is a 512GB SSD drive.

But as a last resort I removed Steam again (third time) and this time installed it to D:\Steam.

My games are still located within the folder D:\Steam Games and thus I needed to let Steam know the games location.

This time Atilla will start and it gives me the impression that the games installtion folder as to be on the same drive as the Steam client is installed to, or it least it does in my case.....

install folder.png

The above works fine but only, as noted, with the Steam client installed also on the D drive.

This has not happened before.

Any ideas...?
    edited February 2015
    Just to add to the above....

What you see in that last screen shot is wrong and should not be like that. All of my games are within a sub folder of Steam Games. None are in their default location of nbeing a sub folder to the Steam client.

Steam has noted in the above screenshot that I have ten games installed under the client and none within the Steam Games folder.

The opposite is true.

Something seems amiss here even though the game is working.
  • Lord_Maximus77#3771Lord_Maximus77#3771 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 3,383
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for letting us know you got it resolved. And good to know having Steam and the Game on the same disk resolved it. This knowledge might help others too.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USARegistered Users Posts: 7,728
    edited February 2015
    That is an interesting development, and may in fact be something on Valve's side from a file update standpoint.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
This discussion has been closed.