Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can You Please Fix the Keyboard?!?!?! This is Absurd!

AmansonAmanson MemberRegistered Users Posts: 31
edited March 2015 in Mac & Linux Support
I have a brand new MacBook Pro, with nvidia graphics card. I, and others, have posted FOR MONTHS that the keyboard doesn't work on Rome 2 and now I spend my money to pre-order Attilla only to find out you all haven't done a thing to fix the original keyboard complaint on Macs! Come on CA! If you release a game for a platform shouldn't you make sure it works? do you have any idea how frUstrating it is trying to play with no keyboard? I'm literally sitting on over $100 in your two games and can't play them because I can do anything with the bloody keyboard. Please make this a priority. It's a known issue and it should be fixed ASAP. Feel free to tell me any workarounds. The "fix" that was posted about system access does not work and people have posted that it doesn't. Please respond ASAP on this huge issue. It's a game breaker in my book.
Post edited by Amanson on

Comments

• wawj1wawj1 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited February 2015
    Hi there, I started to play my Mac version of the game today and the WASD keys for controlling the camera do not work or scroll anywhere. I was wondering what the problem is because it was the same problem and issue in Rome II total war.

Creative Assembly please help.
  • VonSteezyVonSteezy Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    I think I'm having the same problem as you. Keyboard is useless in game.
    I'm playing on a MacBook Pro also, keyboard not working. Tried hooking up Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac, doesn't work in game either.
    Subscribing to thread to see what CA says.
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators Posts: 2,893
    edited February 2015
    did you try changing the camera style in the control options?
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
    edited February 2015
    I have been having this same problem. Why doesn't CA help us out?
    edited February 2015
    will that do something? Ill try quickly.
    edited February 2015
    it didnt do anything
  • CAJeremyCAJeremy The Creative Assembly CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 45
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue.

To best assist you with your issues i would like for you all to check a few settings for me.

could you please navigate to your System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad

if you haven't already please make sure "Enable Mouse Keys" is disabled.

if this is enabled every time the Alt key is pressed 5 times you will hear a light chime and the keyboard will lock itself. To unlock please press the alt key an additional 5 times.

hope to hear back from you all soon

Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 2015

To best assist you with your issues i would like for you all to check a few settings for me.

could you please navigate to your System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad

if this is enabled every time the Alt key is pressed 5 times you will hear a light chime and the keyboard will lock itself. To unlock please press the alt key an additional 5 times.

Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • AmansonAmanson Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy CA wrote: »

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
    Thanks for replying. I have tried this and it isn't working. My keyboard does work for Shogun 2 , but not Attila or Rome 2. Here is my system information:
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 4.38.38 AM.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 4.38.38 AM.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Hi Amanson,

just to clarify before we move on that you tried everything in my last post? use the images below for reference.

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 10.00.26.jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 09.55.49.jpg

Currently this in the only way i have been able to reproduce your issue here. I shall continue to look deeper and get back to you as soon as i know more.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    Hi Amanson,

just to clarify before we move on that you tried everything in my last post? use the images below for reference.

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 10.00.26.jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 09.55.49.jpg

Currently this in the only way i have been able to reproduce your issue here. I shall continue to look deeper and get back to you as soon as i know more.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
    That's correct, those are the steps I've done with zero affect on the issue.

Thanks,
    Tony
    edited February 2015
    Hi Tony,

Currently we are still unable to reproduce you issue in house.

Out of curiosity do you have an external USB keyboard you could test the issue on?

I will continue to investigate and as soon as i have more information i will get back to you!

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    Hi Tony,

Currently we are still unable to reproduce you issue in house.

Out of curiosity do you have an external USB keyboard you could test the issue on?

I will continue to investigate and as soon as i have more information i will get back to you!

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy,
    I will bring a keyboard home from work to test out in the interim. I just find it really odd that the only two games that this affect are Rome 2 and Attilla. Shogun 2, Napoleon, and Empire all work fine.
    edited February 2015
    Yes i agree with you that it seems very strange.

I have a few more suggestions for you to try.

could you please navigate to your Attila Folder and delete it. (If you happen to have any saves that you would like to keep please make sure you saves these elsewhere before deleting)

~/library/The Creative Assembly/Attila.

Once you reach the FrontEnd are you able to Alt + Tab or Ctrl + Up to the desktop? Or do you have to restart the Mac to once again gain access to the keyboard ?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    I will see if this works in game and write back to you. Thanks.
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy CA, this doesn't work in the game still. What could the problem be?
    edited February 2015
    I have been following this thread because I am having the same exact issue. I appreciate the attempts to fix it as well. I have followed your instructions the same, and haven't been able to fix the problem either. What is "front-end" and "alt+tab", "ctrl-up", you are talking about? Are you telling us to delete the entire game? Could I get some clarification please and thank you much.
    edited February 2015
    Hi wawj1,

Sorry if i was unable to give a clear instructions.

The Attila folder that i mentioned in my last post doesn't include game data, it only includes the associated folders i.e saved games , replays , scripts etc. By following the instructions above you will not have to re-install the game.

As for the Key Shortcuts i asked you to perform Alt + Tab and Ctrl + Up. These will help me find out if you are able to return to the desktop from Attila even if the keyboard is unresponsive.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    Jeremy, okay I understood what you were saying then. I have continued to try everything and even used an external keyboard and the issue is still occurring. Do you guys have any idea of what could be the cause of it? The movement keys do not work, and either do the keys for example, selecting all your units with "command+a" doesn't work, or also grouping units. I have tried remapping and still not working. Please help. Thanks.
    edited February 2015
    Merged similar threads.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    I'll be able to try all this in about an hour when I get home. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    edited February 2015
    Amanson,

It didn't work on my end, and it seems we are having the same issue. Please let me know if it works for you. Thanks. Hopefully CA will be able to sort out this whole issue because it sucks.
    edited February 2015
    wawj1 wrote: »
    Amanson,

It didn't work on my end, and it seems we are having the same issue. Please let me know if it works for you. Thanks. Hopefully CA will be able to sort out this whole issue because it sucks.

Hi guys, it didn't work on my end either and Jeremy, the alt+tab thing to try and exit to the desktop didn't work either. I also deleted the Attila folder like requested and that didn't fix it either.
    edited February 2015
    Hi all,

After searching further online i can see that this issue is quite common with MacBook Pro's.

I found one person suggesting to try and reset NVRAM as that solved the issue for him.

If you would like to have a look the link is here http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

I'm unable to ask you to try this method I am just passing the information on.

I am still unable to reproduce your issue in house. I will continue looking.

Thanks
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    Hi all,

After searching further online i can see that this issue is quite common with MacBook Pro's.

I found one person suggesting to try and reset NVRAM as that solved the issue for him.

If you would like to have a look the link is here http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

I'm unable to ask you to try this method I am just passing the information on.

I am still unable to reproduce your issue in house. I will continue looking.

Thanks
    Hi Jeremy,
    I tried the NVRAM fix and still nothing unfortunately. Oddly enough, my Function keys work (I can flip between desktop and game via function keys) but no other ones do.
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy,
    I also went into my utility dr and reset my permissions which didn't work. I did double check and Shogun 2 runs smooth scrolling and all functions on the keyboard work with no issues whatsoever. When I clicked to see the keys loaded it just said the default Total War ones. But then I went into Attila and still nothing. Btw, in Attila, I can hit the escape key to bypass the video prior to the main menu but after that point it all seems not to work.
    edited February 2015
    Amanson,

I'm glad to know that your function keys are now working, hopefully a step in the right direction. With that being said the earlier possible fix i mentioned about pressing the Alt key five times and listening for the chime, would you mind testing this again? It could be possible that it didn't work purely because you didn't have access to your function keys in game.

The default keys that you loaded are they called dafault_keys_osx ?

I am going to need some more in depth info about your mac so i can closer match you configuration.

What are your Language & Region settings?

In your keyboard settings what Input Sources do you see? i.e British, U.S. etc

In your keyboard settings > Keyboard Shortcuts please disable "Turn keyboard access on or off"

In your Security & Privacy settings is Steam checked?

If you are not using any Bluetooth devices on your mac could you please turn this off.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2015
    Amanson,

I'm glad to know that your function keys are now working, hopefully a step in the right direction. With that being said the earlier possible fix i mentioned about pressing the Alt key five times and listening for the chime, would you mind testing this again? It could be possible that it didn't work purely because you didn't have access to your function keys in game.

The default keys that you loaded are they called dafault_keys_osx ?

I am going to need some more in depth info about your mac so i can closer match you configuration.

What are your Language & Region settings?

In your keyboard settings what Input Sources do you see? i.e British, U.S. etc

In your keyboard settings > Keyboard Shortcuts please disable "Turn keyboard access on or off"

In your Security & Privacy settings is Steam checked?

If you are not using any Bluetooth devices on your mac could you please turn this off.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
    I'll just go down the list on the items you listed, one by one:

Yes the default keys that Total War is loading is called "default_keys_osx"

Language is English, Region is United States

Input sources: I've tried "U.S", "U.S. Extended", "U.S. International-PC" None work (also the external keyboard i plugged in was a Dell one and worked prior to starting the game, but not in-game)

Keyboard settings: I've just disabled "turn keyboard access on or off"

Steam is checked in Security and Privacy

I was using a bluetooth mouse and also tried a usb wireless mouse and usb hardwired mouse.
    edited February 2015
    Let me know if you need anything else and I'll send it ASAP.