Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can You Please Fix the Keyboard?!?!?! This is Absurd!

Comments

• wawj1wawj1 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited February 2015
    I tried the same steps and advice as well, and it still has yet to fix the problem. Do you (CA) have any idea of why this is occurring? I would really like to play the game. I appreciate all that has been done so far. Thanks.
  • JHicksJHicks Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited February 2015
    Hello everyone.

I am having the same issues as stated above with no working solutions that have been suggested. I have done some messing around in the menus and played with the graphic menu. I have found that in the title menu when you first start the game, the keyboard works fine. When the game starts I can press the "esc' key and it closes the cinematic and loads normally to the main title menu. However, once I enter the campaign map, my keyboard becomes unresponsive. I am unable to successfully enter the menu by pressing the "esc" key and scrolling does not respond when I press the "W,A,S,D" keys. I have however been able to get the keys to respond in the controls menu, while I remap the "W,A,S,D" keys to others on my keyboard only in that menu though. Once I save and exit the controls menu and resume back to my campaign map, the keyboard becomes unresponsive once again. I do believe this is a scripting error. If he keyboard is working in at least one element in the game, then becomes unresponsive in another or during gameplay, this does not mean it is a operating system error, and is indeed a problem with the game itself.

If you are experiencing the same issues as I suspect most of you are on the MacBook Pro, then check for yourselves that what I am experiencing is happening with your game as well. I hope this bit of information helps the developers with a swift solution to these problems that we are experiencing on the MacBook Pro.
  • AmansonAmanson Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    edited February 2015
    JHicks wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I am having the same issues as stated above with no working solutions that have been suggested. I have done some messing around in the menus and played with the graphic menu. I have found that in the title menu when you first start the game, the keyboard works fine. When the game starts I can press the "esc' key and it closes the cinematic and loads normally to the main title menu. However, once I enter the campaign map, my keyboard becomes unresponsive. I am unable to successfully enter the menu by pressing the "esc" key and scrolling does not respond when I press the "W,A,S,D" keys. I have however been able to get the keys to respond in the controls menu, while I remap the "W,A,S,D" keys to others on my keyboard only in that menu though. Once I save and exit the controls menu and resume back to my campaign map, the keyboard becomes unresponsive once again. I do believe this is a scripting error. If he keyboard is working in at least one element in the game, then becomes unresponsive in another or during gameplay, this does not mean it is a operating system error, and is indeed a problem with the game itself.

If you are experiencing the same issues as I suspect most of you are on the MacBook Pro, then check for yourselves that what I am experiencing is happening with your game as well. I hope this bit of information helps the developers with a swift solution to these problems that we are experiencing on the MacBook Pro.

JHicks,
    That's exactly what's happening with all of us I believe. At least that's what happens in my case. Aside from my function keys working to bring up my desktop, nothing else works in the campaign and battle screens. I am able to do the same thing in the options and have the exact same results. I'm really hoping CA can figure this one out and get it fixed soon. Jeremy has been really responsive the past few days and I hope he is having some progress on it!

Thanks,
    Tony
    edited February 2015
    Hi Jeremy,
    The thread still says "user info required" is there anything else you need? Any other options for us to try, or any headway made?

Thanks,
    Tony
    edited February 2015
    Maybe we have been forgotten about. Seems there hasn't been a blue post in a few days now.
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I think so, this really sucks. I think it makes the game basically unplayable. I can use my mouse and stuff to get a round but its annoying and doesnt work as well. I wish Creative Assembly would figure this out because this is a big disappointment. CA, do you have any idea what the problem is? If you cannot figure it out will you give us our money back? I am sure we all agree that this is basically a waste of money if we can't get the controls to work properly, why play and pay for a game that doesn't work 100%? I am just confused at why this is taking so long to figure out and fix? Very disappointing, and quite the let down.
  • VonSteezyVonSteezy Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys. Been following this post since it was made, though haven't tried to play the game or checked forums for a few days now. I must say I'm a little disheartened after seeing that nobody (who seems to have the same exact problems as me) has found a sound solution.
    Oh well, I gave them my money, knowing d*** well what has happened at release with these games. Here's to hoping we get a solution in the near future, cheers yall.
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys,
    Ya I have to say I'm pretty disheartened too. I was hopeful at first when Jeremy replied but it seems like CA's responses have slowly died out and they don't have any idea how to fix this. It seems like it's an issue with all MacBook Pro's to say the least. That's a pretty big issue that I would think would rate some investment in. I hope that Jeremy and the crew pick it back up tomorrow to fix the broken game that we are experiencing. Here's to hoping!!!
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy CA, or Creative Assembly team, have you forgotten about our issue over here? We are waiting and have been waiting patiently for a fix and for some form of response now? I think we would all greatly appreciate you giving us a hand or some sort of word of what's going on with our issue.

Thanks.
  • CAJeremyCAJeremy The Creative Assembly CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 45
    edited February 2015
    Hi all,

Sorry for a late response!

Just to let you all know this issue is still being looked into. We have been testing on our MBP's in house to try and reproduce the issue however so far we are unsuccessful. This issue doesn't seem to effect all MBP's just a select few.

I will let you know if any progress has been made.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy CA wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry for a late response!

Just to let you all know this issue is still being looked into. We have been testing on our MBP's in house to try and reproduce the issue however so far we are unsuccessful. This issue doesn't seem to effect all MBP's just a select few.

I will let you know if any progress has been made.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

I just don't understand how we can't recreate this in-house with CA. Do you guys have the same specs as we are running? It just doesn't make sense how so many people here have the problem and CA can't replicate it at all.
    edited February 2015
    Amanson,

I agree with you. I literally have had this problem since the Mac version of Rome II, where I wasn't even talked to by CA when I posted in the forums. I just brushed it aside because Attila was dropping soon and thought the issue would be fixed. But as we all know the issue still persists. CA is doing the same exact **** they did the last time I posted about the issue, one or two attempts with not one working, and now they are doing it again. As much as I hate to say it we might have to just need to drop the game because CA doesn't care or know what it's doing. They just released the game, made their money off it from all us suckers and that's it. Might as well just throw down our hats and call it good because CA is just minding their time until we all get annoyed enough to stop posting about our issue. This is really just an absurd situation and I have about had enough of it all.
    edited February 2015
    Hi all,

I understand its frustrating, we are simply unable to get our keyboards to become unresponsive. I have performed a fresh install of the OS on a mac that is the same Spec, Language & Region Settings and Input Source as you Amanson. Still however unable to reproduce.

We are still working on a fix, I will keep you all updated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy CA wrote: »
    Hi all,

I understand its frustrating, we are simply unable to get our keyboards to become unresponsive. I have performed a fresh install of the OS on a mac that is the same Spec, Language & Region Settings and Input Source as you Amanson. Still however unable to reproduce.

We are still working on a fix, I will keep you all updated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hi Jeremy this is also the same issue with Rome 2 and it has been around for awhile. I have no idea how you guys can't replicate the issue with a computer that is the same specs as mine. Does your computer also have the nvidia graphics card? Would that cause this? It just seems like there has to be something specific to the Rome 2/Attila engine because I don't have this issue with ANY other game.
    edited February 2015
    Jeremy,

Whats the estimated time to fix this issue? This is getting a little beyond ridiculous. Please let us all know.

Thanks
    edited February 2015
    So, the mac version does not work very well. Good, well not, but ok we get it.
    Now I noticed something very strange today, which made me think. Let me explain:
    I downloaded the new version of "a game" which is in alpha yet, it has load of content and an established engine (notice the similarities ). It happened to run very smoothly which made me happy. Then I noticed they were releasing the "game" on steam finally, so I tried to play it there. I deleted the original and downloaded it again via steam... and it was unplayable... even with very very low settings... it topped 15 fps with a palpable load on the cpu. How is that possible? It was the same game. To be sure, I downloaded the standalone version again, booted it, and it worked smoothly as it did the first time.

Now what am I saying? could all this mess with Attila somehow related to some weird steam interaction? it feels like a very naive argument yet it could be a sensible one, especially if you (CA) cannot reproduce our same issues on your machines, which (maybe) do not run the game under steam.

my 2 cents, just do not say I'm not giving it all

I read this on another post, and was wondering your thoughts, CA?
    edited February 2015
    wawj1 wrote: »
    So, the mac version does not work very well. Good, well not, but ok we get it.
    Now I noticed something very strange today, which made me think. Let me explain:
    I downloaded the new version of "a game" which is in alpha yet, it has load of content and an established engine (notice the similarities ). It happened to run very smoothly which made me happy. Then I noticed they were releasing the "game" on steam finally, so I tried to play it there. I deleted the original and downloaded it again via steam... and it was unplayable... even with very very low settings... it topped 15 fps with a palpable load on the cpu. How is that possible? It was the same game. To be sure, I downloaded the standalone version again, booted it, and it worked smoothly as it did the first time.

Now what am I saying? could all this mess with Attila somehow related to some weird steam interaction? it feels like a very naive argument yet it could be a sensible one, especially if you (CA) cannot reproduce our same issues on your machines, which (maybe) do not run the game under steam.

my 2 cents, just do not say I'm not giving it all

I read this on another post, and was wondering your thoughts, CA?

So I was looking under the miscellaneous section of the forums and it appears the same keyboard issues are also occurring with some PC's as well. Jeremy, I don't know if that helps at all but it sounds like it's not just restricted to the MacBook Pro, although it seems like most of us that have them aren't working right. Everyone also seems to be saying that it's the same issue for both Rome 2 and Attila. Any headway Jeremy that you or the rest of CA can state? We are almost done with week 2 and I can't believe we don't have a solution yet to this.
    image.jpg
    edited March 2015
    I too am running Attila on steam. I wonder if steam is the source is the root of the problem.
    edited March 2015
    JHicks wrote: »
    I too am running Attila on steam. I wonder if steam is the source is the root of the problem.

I too am running on steam. no clue if thats the issue
    edited March 2015
    I am too running it on steam.
    edited March 2015
    CREATIVE ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!!!!! What is taking so long to solve this issue? We all have been waiting for patiently for a long, long, loooonnngg, time. Can you give us some positive news please. This would be very ****** if in two months we still haven't gotten a solution. Thanks.
    edited March 2015
    CREATIVE ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!!!!! What is taking so long to solve this issue? We all have been waiting for patiently for a long, long, loooonnngg, time. Can you give us some positive news please. This would be very ****** if in two months we still haven't gotten a solution. Thanks.

It does seem odd that we aren't hearing anything more from CA on this. Jeremy, can you advise how much longer until we figure this out? Is there any progress or an update you can tell us?
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jeremy and Folks at CA,
    It's been one week since CA's last response to this thread. Can you please provide an update on the progress (if any) as to this issue? I'd like to know if this is fixable or if we shouldn't get our hopes up. Thanks, in advance, for your reply!!

Tony
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKRegistered Users Posts: 2,596
    edited March 2015
    Hi guys,

We are still working on this issue investigating all possible solutions.

At the moment we don't have more news to give you but we will keep you updated once we have further information.

Meanwhile you can also contact your manufacturer's customer support as this issue doesn't necessarily seem to be linked only to Total War: Attila and Total War: ROME II. (For your reference here's a non-exhaustive list of such forum threads: Divinity, Assasin's Creed, Binding of Isaac and , Diablo III.)

We are continuing our investigation on our side and if you haven't done so, please send us as much detail as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work towards understanding this issue.

Regards,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

edited March 2015
    Hi guys,

We are still working on this issue investigating all possible solutions.

At the moment we don't have more news to give you but we will keep you updated once we have further information.

Meanwhile you can also contact your manufacturer's customer support as this issue doesn't necessarily seem to be linked only to Total War: Attila and Total War: ROME II. (For your reference here's a non-exhaustive list of such forum threads: Divinity, Assasin's Creed, Binding of Isaac and , Diablo III.)

We are continuing our investigation on our side and if you haven't done so, please send us as much detail as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work towards understanding this issue.

Regards,

Matthias

Matthias, what do you mean our manufacturers support? How can it not be Total War's problem? This is happening with Rome II and Attila? That is the only problem, please fill us all in on what you mean, and how you cannot figure out what the problem is? This is absolutely ridiculous and I am about ready to quit and take my money back from you guys. This is ********, and I am sure we can all agree.
    edited March 2015
    Matthias, what do you mean our manufacturers support? How can it not be Total War's problem? This is happening with Rome II and Attila? That is the only problem, please fill us all in on what you mean, and how you cannot figure out what the problem is? This is absolutely ridiculous and I am about ready to quit and take my money back from you guys. This is ********, and I am sure we can all agree.

Okay folks,
    I have some good news for us. I have spent several hours the past few days working with Apple on this and we have a solution that worked for me! So, first off you will have to back up your OS. Once that is done, you must erase, and re-install the Yosemite OS. To do this, I had to back up on an external HD. Once I did that, I hit "Command R" plus the power button and erased the OS then re-installed a clean version. There is an easy Youtube video on how to do this here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE05PY75mW0&feature=iv&src_vid=fcUYrYQlH3E&annotation_id=annotation_2717976977

After Conferring with Apple, we did this next:
    1. After re-installing a clean Yosemite OS, I created a new account but did not tie it in to my apple ID yet. I got to the desk top and downloaded Steam and Atilla only and ran the game with only that installed and THE KEYBOARD WORKS!
    2. I then loaded my Apple ID and iTunes and Apps that I had installed and checked again and it still works.
    3. I then went to my backup and was able to transfer my documents, photos and movies from the old backup to the new one and everything still works. So hopefully that helps some of you.

There are still issues. The game repeatedly crashes after I try to run it from Steam but I am following that thread and once I delete my last saved game, it will run again. Although this is a major pain in the a** at least it is an interim workaround until CA figures out why the last saved game files are being corrupted. I have also had two CTD's during the game for no reason but hey, I'll accept that over a keyboard that doesn't work at all. So there you all have it. That is the AMANSON workaround for the keyboard not working on MacBook Pro's. I will send my billing to CA for the 4 hours spent on the phone with my friendly Apple Techie "Scott" who was actually a huge help. Thanks to Jeremy for the work on this too. Please continue to support our MAC issues guys, I do appreciate it!!!
  • esperdivesperdiv Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    This is crazy. I've never had to reinstall an Apple OS from scratch, have always upgraded since Tiger, especially if only one piece of software does not work with it.

This makes no sense.
    edited March 2015
    esperdiv wrote: »
    This is crazy. I've never had to reinstall an Apple OS from scratch, have always upgraded since Tiger, especially if only one piece of software does not work with it.

This makes no sense.

I agree however after reading up on various forums, this has happened with Macs and other games including Diablo, Assassin's Creed, etc. Thus, the reason why I ended up contacting Apple directly. Apple Tech support and I went through numerous options and this was what the Apple IT people recommended. I did it and it worked. It sucks but if you want your keyboard to work it seems the only solution since CA can't replicate the problem in-house. I was told by Apple that if someone who has the issue wants to back-up their entire computer and send it to CA then they can load that back-up and have the problem essentially "imported" to try and fix it that way. But whoever does that gives CA all of their computer data so, ya, not going to be me. In any case, it worked for me and I hope it works for you all.

Good luck!
    edited March 2015
    That is great news Amanson! I'm glad the keyboard works for you now.

could others either agree / disagree with the workaround Amanson provided?

your appreciation is most welcome

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Forum Terms & Conditions

edited March 2015
    I personally will not delete and re-download my entire OS just for this game.... How do i pursue a refund?