Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Verification of Malware causing Startup Screen Crash (AMD CPU - Nvidia GPU)

AlittaThePunAlittaThePun Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Crashes & Performance
My son's PC was having the crash on start up issue and after I saw the notes about Malware removal working for some users I remembered that he got something (sorry, I can't remember which one) that infected his browsers back in October. Shortly thereafter Total War Shogun 2 stopped working - crashed on start up. I didn't have time to fix Total War (I did remove the Malware, or so I thought) and gave up after 15 minutes. He moved on to other games and stopped playing.

I still don't have time, but feeling like a total dork for buying Total War Attila for him and him having the same crash as before. So I whipped out a extra SSD drive and reinstalled Windows on his machine. Tah-Dah - Attila now works, albeit he now gets the crazy lag at the main menu. If he is patient and clicks the buttons slowly, the game works great and hasn't crashed in the hour or two he has been playing.

Here is the crazy part: Before reinstalling Windows, I had every driver updated (only one was out of date to be honest - Realtek audio) and the bios as well. I downloaded 3 Malware/Anti-Virus programs and ran them till the computer was clean - no dice. Reinstalled Windows, used the same drivers as before and it works. I think this proves that some cleaners can't get every bit of Malware and that some (all?) of the crashing at start up may not be hardware/driver related (although I didn't use a driver cleaner...) but somehow related to Malware...

Obviously reinstalling Windows is not a great option for everyone - but I hope this helps the devs and maybe someone out.

Sorry for the long post.

Pun
Post edited by AlittaThePun on

Comments

• Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKRegistered Users Posts: 2,580
    edited February 2015
    Hi Pun,

Thank you for reporting this. It is of great help to us.

Also, we love hearing about our fans (or their kids) being able to play our game and loving them.

Say hello to your son from all the Total War team and we hope he enjoys the Attila as much as we enjoyed making it.

If you ever have another issue please do not hesitate to contact us. (For a more timely response, you can also contact our customer Service.)

Cheers,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.