Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Multiplayer Cheese

RedwolfActualRedwolfActual MemberPosts: 250Registered Users
edited April 2015 in Multiplayer
Ok, so I really hope I'm not alone on this, but I am sick of people cheesing multiplayer with unicorn builds that fly in the face of fairness. Like my last battle against a player who brought 6 royal alani cavalry at gold veterancy and everything else at the lowest he could go. Frankly I'm a little sick of being completely unable to find an at all fairly balanced match, so my proposal is this.

LET US CONTROL EVERY ASPECT. Let us control whether elites are used, whether artillery is used, how much veterancy can be applied, etc. That way players who like to be able to find a fair fight can **** well actually do so.
Post edited by RedwolfActual on

Comments

• Voyager IVoyager I Senior Member Posts: 122Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Just host a custom game and say 1v1 6 cav / no art in the title or play games with friends on Steam who can understand what it means not to go full tryhard.

6 Heavy Horse with upgrades is a really normal thing for the time being, which may be saying a bad thing about the way the game has been balanced but it's far from the hardest someone could try to take advantage of the system.
  • BelialxvBelialxv Senior Member SteppesPosts: 1,627Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Do you also want to chose every units of your oponent army? :p
    ajz9uoslnqoi.jpg

HUITZILOPOCHTLI

god of war

LIZARDMEN #makelustriagreatagain
    Clan Moulder #masterclan
  • WesternrulerxWesternrulerx Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Victory is not achieved by who is the better player; but who brings the better build.
  • BelialxvBelialxv Senior Member SteppesPosts: 1,627Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Victory is not achieved by who is the better player; but who brings the better build.

:rolleyes: Not to be mean, but the better player is the one who bring the better build, except if he's not trying to win... (troll, testing, etc.)
    ajz9uoslnqoi.jpg

HUITZILOPOCHTLI

god of war

LIZARDMEN #makelustriagreatagain
    Clan Moulder #masterclan
  • WesternrulerxWesternrulerx Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Belialxv wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Not to be mean, but the better player is the one who bring the better build, except if he's not trying to win... (troll, testing, etc.)

I have played tons of online battles and have seen some tourney players getting beat by the casual player. We have to understand that with Attila there is not as much strategy involved.
  • SnipingAchillesSnipingAchilles Senior Member BelgiumPosts: 289Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Ah, the casual player beats a tournament player. What is the difference between them?

Anyway, if you want to have nice and somewhat balanced battle, you better host one yourself.Matchmaking is like bronze league in starcraft II. The broodmother of cheeses.
    AggonyAchilles on Steam.

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/snipingachilles
  • DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKPosts: 1,136Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    It wouldn't matter if the game was balanced properly
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
  • RedwolfActualRedwolfActual Member Posts: 250Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I can host, but I can't see what other people at putting int their builds (Which you shouldn't) Thus, wouldn't it be better to have more control of the parameters?
  • ArhuArhu Senior Member Posts: 192Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    But you should know what they will use more or less, each faction has its own strong units so expect these and counter
  • vaensonvaenson Member Posts: 45Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Arhu wrote: »
    But you should know what they will use more or less, each faction has its own strong units so expect these and counter
    Ye its half of the fun :)
  • LoneWolf94LoneWolf94 Senior Member Posts: 164Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I quickly stopped quickmatching after realizing this is how people played, I'll stick with singleplayer and friend-matches lol, this is not my thing perhaps.
  • Pine89Pine89 Senior Member Posts: 580Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    QB = everything goes

only go there if you don't mind losing in the cheapest way possible. once you've reached that peace of mind, you're ready to push that button.. they should put a warning about that or something :p
  • obelixthegreatobelixthegreat Senior Member Posts: 228Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    + 1 to the above
  • SKill3ssSKill3ss Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited April 2015

Disagree to some extent. There are players in the top 20 who got there using the exact same build every battle (usually langobards or Burg) but most of them are beatable even with a "weak" faction like the Sassanids if played correctly. Plus it feels good when you show them the error of their unoriginal ways....

Just beacuse a meta exists doesn't mean we all have to follow it religiously - there are ways around almost everything if you dont mind losing a few games in the process.

Then there are the ******s who pike box, cav spam or red line camp. These are sad strange little people and they deserve our pity.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Senior Member Posts: 122Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I can host, but I can't see what other people at putting int their builds (Which you shouldn't) Thus, wouldn't it be better to have more control of the parameters?

You're asking for some very specific, very minute control over what people are and aren't allowed to bring. You're probably better off just setting an appropriate title for the game you're hosting and chatting up the person you're up against so you both understand it's not some tournament-style tryhard match. If you get a good game out of someone, add them as a friend and play with them more in the future. If someone brings 8 Alani Nobles anyways just disconnect and look for a new game / kick them if you see them again (hell, you could even do this in QB if you don't care about ladder scores)
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    memccann wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter if the game was balanced properly

^^ This is the only answer.
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 8700k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 3000Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    I have only cheesed once, against a guy who I knew was going to cheese me. (played him 2 times before).
    So I just spammed dogs against his full army of Hun ranged cavalry. I still lost. But the dogs gave me enough time to talk some mad ****.

I just don't do quick matches much anymore. Unless I feel like doing something silly. If you want to control everything, you already can. Just host your own games.
  • RedwolfActualRedwolfActual Member Posts: 250Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    So you have the ability to control whether or not someone decides to bring Max veterancy Elite unit in a hosted game?

Because no, you don't.