Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Everyone's Elite

antiques roadshowantiques roadshow Senior MemberPosts: 247Registered Users
edited April 2015 in Multiplayer
One thing i have always hated about MP is two thirds of armies have "elite" units. no one fought in historical times with a full army of royal guards. I wish CA would make elite units more expensive so the main line infantry are not made up entirely of elite units. its so boring. CA make the common man important again!
Post edited by antiques roadshow on

Comments

• blademaster3090blademaster3090 Senior Member Posts: 402Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Apparently this is similar to Rome 2's MP at launch. I wasn't present for that ****-show, but from the battles I've seen it was Galatian Royal Guard spam all day. Only difference is Attila won't take 15 patches and 1 year after launch to get to its best form, I think a couple of patches should be good enough.

Then again, lets remember that this is CA, with their wide-sweeping patches which mostly do as much harm as it does good, balance wise. No one asked for germanic horsemen to be nerfed to their current state, no one asked for Sarmatian Warband to have a cost reduction, no one asked for Noble Alanis to be buffed, but here we are. Not saying they didn't make good changes, Tagmata is in a perfect place right now (maybe even a tad overpried?) and Sassanids are definitely more viable at the moment than in patch 1/0.
    Check out my youtube channel! Mainly Rome 2 Multiplayer tactics, tutorials and replays :)
    www.youtube.com/wolftotalwar
  • PaminaPamina Senior Member Posts: 934Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    I Wonder what elite u see in overwhelming numbers ? Only think i know are the huskarls.
    "because you know nothing of multi-player and know nothing of tactics." Hero of Freedom (Too much GoT)

I'm Panda_Warrior on steam.
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Posts: 1,737Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    ehm, in rome 2, shogun 2 and i would assume napoleon elites where to say it mildly useless.
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
    edited April 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d44LyYL3GkY

Elite spam was a part of some rome 2 patch , elite inf was always key in napoleon as damage dealer and line holders.
    "because you know nothing of multi-player and know nothing of tactics." Hero of Freedom (Too much GoT)

• blademaster3090blademaster3090 Senior Member Posts: 402Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Pamina wrote: »
    I Wonder what elite u see in overwhelming numbers ? Only think i know are the huskarls.

noble alani, noble germanic horse, royal lancers, nordic horse lords, basically any cavalry that you see in games are elite. not to mention a lot of them have 4-9 xp upgrades making them super duper elite lol

granted its not the same case with infantry and skirmishers, but cavalry is the most important part of any attila army and that is composed almost entirely of elite units.

then we also have uar spam, elite agathyrsi/agathyrsi, hetereia guards and huscarls who can and will be spammed, although this doesn't happen as often except for jutes. Jutes builds are hilarious, its made up of like 3-6 units. Nordic band for meatshield, a **** ton of huscarls, a **** ton of nordic horse lords and you are set. maybe bring some nordic bows if you're feeling fancy. It's a pity because they actually have very nice javelinmen who never see the light of day because everything else is so **** cost-effective XD

bear in mind i'm not talking about you directly panda, i know first hand...you beating me with a sassanid build that had savaran cavalry...the shame :_(
    Check out my youtube channel! Mainly Rome 2 Multiplayer tactics, tutorials and replays :)
    www.youtube.com/wolftotalwar
    edited April 2015
    This forum is getting better and better, now people reply for me in their own message. Soon i'll be out of order.

• DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKPosts: 1,136Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Elite spam isn't even a thing in Attila, you always need low or mid tier troops in your army.
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
  • Voyager IVoyager I Senior Member Posts: 122Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    memccann wrote: »
    Elite spam isn't even a thing in Attila, you always need low or mid tier troops in your army.

I think people might still call it 'elite spam' when your army is like 10 units of elite cavalry or Huscarls or whatever that you expect to win the game for you and then a bunch of trash units to keep the enemy occupied while your real units are working.

It just looks different in this game because the elite units du jour aren't infantry.
  • DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKPosts: 1,136Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Voyager I wrote: »
    I think people might still call it 'elite spam' when your army is like 10 units of elite cavalry or Huscarls or whatever that you expect to win the game for you and then a bunch of trash units to keep the enemy occupied while your real units are working.

It just looks different in this game because the elite units du jour aren't infantry.

You cant afford 10 elite cavalry. Stop exaggerating please. This meta is not spammy in anyway. You lose if you spam anything, including cav or elite units.
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
  • obelixthegreatobelixthegreat Senior Member Posts: 228Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    memccann wrote: »
    you always need low or mid tier troops in your army.

That is so true. But you need them because half of the armies consist of elite troops Cav/Inf so the only way to compensate numbers and bring enough units is taking the cheap ones (Germanic archers/slingers/pikes).