Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Official DX11 statement

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,140Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited April 2011 in The Archive
Hi guys,

In the weeks since Total War: Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been working super-hard to make the Shogun 2 experience as great as we can make it. As part of our long-term commitment to supporting the game, we’ve been making issues identified by members of our community our top priority.

So, we’re planning to roll out some fairly substantial fixes in the coming weeks and months. The first stage of this is Patch 2 which, we’re thrilled to announce, will also upgrade the engine to DirectX 11. This means those of you with DX11-capable cards will be able to access features such as hardware tessellation and enhanced shadowing. Patch 2 will also bring Anti-Aliasing support.

Since Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been completely blown away by the success of multiplayer. However, the multiplayer issues many of you have identified require our thorough attention, so that’s a really big priority as well. You can expect a raft of multiplayer fixes and modifications in Patch 2, and beyond.

You’ll appreciate that all this takes a lot of time and testing, and while we’re working as hard as we can, we may not quite make the 2-4 week post-launch window that we’d originally hoped to hit. We’re aiming to get patch 2 to you in the first week of May though, so not long to wait now.

Thanks for your ongoing patience, and please bear with us!

Craig
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• ninjastealthninjastealth Senior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    What about single player fixes? Again thanks for the wonderful work that TW team has done so far.
  • SepukiSepuki Senior Member Posts: 252Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Countdown begins... Again! :) Keep up the good work boys.
  • DogthinkerDogthinker Senior Member Posts: 208Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    CraigTW wrote: »
    You’ll appreciate that all this takes a lot of time and testing, and while we’re working as hard as we can, we may not quite make the 2-4 week post-launch window that we’d originally hoped to hit. We’re aiming to get patch 2 to you in the first week of May though, so not long to wait now.

Thanks for your ongoing patience, and please bear with us!

"may not" sounds more like "definitely won't", given the new May target is several weeks outside it ;)

I'm patient.

Personally I care waaaaaay more about sorely needed single player fixes than I do about DX11 - such as the broken siege AI (attacking reinforcements standing in place, attacking units don't use destroyed gates, defending units ignore the Tenshu, defending archers don't move aggressively enough, autoresolve ignores the effect of walls, campaign AI launches suicidal siege assaults when it should besiege.)

Hopefully the team isn't *just* working on multiplayer and graphics. :D

Thanks for giving us an update on progress. Please give us more progress updates, more often :)
  • pauliox1pauliox1 Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Excellent news, muchly appreciated!
  • snake23snake23 Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Hi guys,

we may not quite make the 2-4 week post-launch window that we’d originally hoped to hit

Craig

wtf!!! you MAY not make it. dude. the deadline was 2 days ago. so no you didn't make it. and your AIMING to get it out in the first week. how on earth can you exceed a deadline so much? instead of 2-4 weeks it's now 7-8 weeks?? it makes no sense at all.

but hey who cares. we were only PROMISED dx11 2-4weeks after launch.

secondly. congrats on shogun being a big MP hit. i really mean that. but speaking for those of us who aren't in to MP please don't forget the singleplayer. in my mind that comes first. even before dx11.
  • -DS-empire-DS-empire Senior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    @ snake
    2 to 4 weeks behind launch date = 15 april. 4 weeks = 15 april
  • DingoDingo Senior Member Posts: 338Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Just to recapitulate the DX11 (AA) saga:
    - First it was a patch on release date
    - Then it was 2-4 weeks after release
    - Now it's 8 weeks after release
    I think somebody is wishing that he had never touched DX11, lol. In that case we would at least have some AA.
  • nebucodonosornebucodonosor Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    So...NOOOO there is no countdown...again for me...cause I will take the liberty of being prudent with the once again...and new official time frame release...so I will wait and see ..and hopefully will see a boost in the performance cause now with my GPU 6970 2Gb CPU i-2500k ..especially when I siege Kyoto my FPS it's between 16-19 ..so ...blaahhh ..but it's more that sure AMD's failure to provide a proper driver that will boost up the performance..and thinking of that..make sense 1-st week of May the patch with DX11 ..cause usually AMD releases the drivers towards the end of the month ( see 11.4 early preview released the 29-03-2011). Thank you Craig you are really courageos to share the info with the angry mob :) .
    edited April 2011
    -DS-empire wrote: »
    @ snake
    2 to 4 weeks behind launch date = 15 april. 4 weeks = 15 april

The Game released on the 15th of March. Four weeks after the 15th of March was the 12th of April. There's only one month a year that's only four weeks long, and it's not March ;)
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,140Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    edited April 2011
    Just a quick note as well to mention that there will be a large number of single-player fixes in Patch 2 also. We haven't forgotten about you guys :)
    edited April 2011
    Just a quick not as well to mention that there will be a large number of single-player fixes in Patch 2 also. We haven't forgotten about you guys :)

Thank you for letting us know! I was a bit worried. :D
  • DFTRRDFTRR Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    No need to hurry, take it slow and make it properly. We can wait(or at least most of us);)
    [PORTABLE-ID]dftrr[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • ninjastealthninjastealth Senior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Just a quick note as well to mention that there will be a large number of single-player fixes in Patch 2 also. We haven't forgotten about you guys :)

Thanks for the info CraigTW I looking forward see what gets fixed. So keep up the wonderful work that TW has been doing.
  • BigfootedfredBigfootedfred Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    thanks for the word on this, looking forward to it :)

Keep up the great work!
  • RazgrizXRazgrizX Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Keep it up CA thanks for an update.
    This another delay is what I expected:p giving the amount of DX11 issues I do really appreciated all of you working Super-hard (like you said) try to keep up with the given dead-line promise which you failed...

Personally, DX11 delayed is not so much of an issue to me but to be fair with those whom took this seriously I think they deserve atleast an apology (C'mon it couldn't kill you, Could it?)

Shogun 2 Total War is looking very beautiful on my PC right now (though it could be better with DX11) besides it has so many things that I could enjoy while waiting for DX11Patch.

Good to hear that! cuz' Single-player bug fix is my top priority.

Thanks again for created a great game such as this!!
    Just don't work too much that you forget to take care of yourself!!
    Your heath is one in the top priorities too.

Ps.
    Please to meet you all in the forum too, Ahh I'm new here but still didn't say Hi properly.
    minnasan yoroshiku onegaishimasu! ^^
  • Sirius 21Sirius 21 Senior Member Palermo, ItalyPosts: 1,617Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    I think CA is doing a good work patching the game. Guys, remember the days when TW was not on Steam. We had to wait for months to have a patch. Now that Steam allows CA to release hotfixes and patches so fast, maybe some players demand too much. All of us could wait for months before Steam, we need to wait just for some weeks now. I think we can live with it. Patching is not something that can be done in a couple of days. Fixes need to be tested repeatedly on a number of different machines and situations. Nevertheless, they're doing it fast, from a developer's point of view. After all, we don't want rushed patches that don't work as intended.
    Admin of Total War Games Italia Youtube channel
    TWGI clan
    Steam Profile
    My system - Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced - PSU: Corsair HX 1000W - Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe - CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz - RAM: 6Gb Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz - Hard disks:Western Digital Velociraptor 600Gb 10000 RPM and WD Caviar Green 2Tb 7200 RPM - GPUs: CrossfireX XFX HD6950 2Gb XXX Edition - Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - DVD RW: Pioneer DVR-219L and Samsung SH-S223F
  • Confused JohnnyConfused Johnny Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Im not really bothered about graphics (yes, my CPU is lame and thats why), im more concerned with gameplay and its good to know you guys are trying to get S2TW to the standard it should have been on release day a.s.a.p!

Cant wait to actually be able to play 3v3 and 4v4 ranked battles, and continue my Chokosabe Campaign which right now CTD's at end of turn 198!

Slowly but surely, the game is living up to its potential and when all issues are fixed it will no doubt rate as one of the best, if not THE BEST, TW title of all time!
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits as i dont take advantage of the handicapped!
  • P.TZP.TZ Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Thank you for the information on your time schedule. Regarding the single player fixes of shogun 2, guys please make sure to address the most important bugs of the game at fisrt. End turn crashes for those who suffer from them ( personally i never had any kind of crash in the game) , and also Broken AI in Reinforcement armies . Please remember, though we do strongly want Smarter AI from our computer opponents, "Dumb" AI (in some cases) is not preventing us entirely from playing or even enjoying the game ..... Broken AI on the other hand (like idle reinforcement armies) is really preventing us from playing the game completely. Personally it kinda reminds me the time when i was playing Britain in Empire total war , only to realize that the computer AI could not naval invade...

Wish you luck in your efforts, and keep up the good work.
  • ShogunateShogunate Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Cool, thank you for taking the time to inform us gamers.

Great game will only get better with the fixes.
  • P.TZP.TZ Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    P.TZ wrote: »
    Thank you for the information on your time schedule. Regarding the single player fixes of shogun 2, guys please make sure to address the most important bugs of the game at fisrt. End turn crashes for those who suffer from them ( personally i never had any kind of crash in the game) , and also Broken AI in Reinforcement armies . Please remember, though we do strongly want Smarter AI from our computer opponents, "Dumb" AI (in some cases) is not preventing us entirely from playing or even enjoying the game ..... Broken AI on the other hand (like idle reinforcement armies) is really preventing us from playing the game completely. Personally it kinda reminds me the time when i was playing Britain in Empire total war , only to realize that the computer AI could not naval invade...

Wish you luck in your efforts, and keep up the good work.

Just wanted to add this to my post...
    I believe that "the idle reinfocment armies" AI bug should be dealt with a hotfix ( if technically possible ) as soon as possible ,so ppl can really continue their single player campaigns, and not necessarily wait for the full package of single player fixes and AI improvements that will come with patch 2.

Thanks again.
  • Sir Nicholas AltmannSir Nicholas Altmann Senior Member Split, Dalmatia, CroatiaPosts: 1,743Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Will patch 2 address MPC issues? The mutilple bugs found there?
    WITHOUT DREAMS WE WALK AMONG THE DEAD
  • A_Parked_CarA_Parked_Car Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    It is nice to hear a report on the progress of DX11 and other fixes. I would much rather wait then having a broken patch released.
    "The historian without his facts is rootless and futile; the facts without their historian are dead and meaningless." - E. H. Carr

"I'm not here to tell you all of the answers. Rather, I'm here to merely get you acquainted with the questions." (Speaking of the study of history.) - Dr. David C. Wright
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,052Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the heads up CA :)

I'd rather wait months for a fully optimised patch, than having the patch now and having to wait months to fix all the bugs and performance issues.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • emperor_ingemperor_ing Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Due to exam revision I haven't been able to play Shogun 2 yet anyway, so if CA hit the first week of May for Patch 2, that would be awesome as that's when I'll be starting it.

Still, keep up the good work on making Shogun 2 the best it can be. I'm sure we all appreciate it.
  • FarwingFarwing Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the news... at last!

I have no problems waiting until May if, not like the past weeks, we have some news time to time.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear that there will be fixes about single player to. But what about multiplayer campaign? You did not tell us a thing about that... Same question about the multi-core (again, I mean more than 2) optimisation.:confused:

Thanks again guys. Love your games.:o
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
    Vince Lombardi
  • JMaszkJMaszk Senior Member Posts: 1,285Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Thx Craig for the good news;)
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum";)

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori

• theChameleontheChameleon Junior Member Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    huh, software development can be a b**ch, especially for large programs like this one, so delays are expected.

as long as the devs are cracking their heads over how to solve the problems, it's fine with me.

but instead of releasing one BIG fix for every problem under the sun, maybe the dev team can consider releasing smaller sized patches as stuff gets fixed.
  • Baron Von PummelBaron Von Pummel Junior Member Posts: 16Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    "Patch 2 will also bring Anti-Aliasing support."

With word play being what it is today in today's society, what EXACTLY does this mean?
  • SnerkSnerk Member Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for this update on the status of DX11. Looking forward to the next patch.
  • L'Ost de MalpesteL'Ost de Malpeste Senior Member Posts: 121Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    That's cool Craig, exactly what people here wanted to hear, except for the DX11 part. A little patience from us will make Shogun 2 better aswell. Wish you the best.
This discussion has been closed.