Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Family Tree Not Working

SamioSamio Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Assembly Kit
Hello,
So I made factions playable via the assembly kit, but the family tree doesn't work. I know that it's probably the lack of a political party being set for a character in start_pos_characters, but changing this to a political party I created for the new faction and then exporting via BOB results in a failed startpos. Not changing the political party of a character, however, makes it work, but then the family tree doesn't work. :\
I am currently trying to make Axum playable.
I noticed the Sassanids don't have political parties for their characters set up, however all the rest of the factions do. Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you!
Post edited by Samio on

Comments

• MaggotMaggot Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited May 2015
    I just registered to post that I have the exact same issue as you with the same faction. Really frustrating. I set up the political parties and everything and it hangs when trying to process the startpos. There's no tutorial for any of this so it feels like I'm stumbling around in the dark here.
  • ABH2ABH2 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2015
    So, different scenario here. I've created a new faction entirely (a lot, actually). It's inserted into the campaign no problem (civil war faction attached). Runs fine. I'm getting an issue creating the family tree, though. Playable faction, political parties set up. Runs fine.

In the Assembly Kit, I've noticed that in the form editor the family tree relations seem to only display the wife or females as options. The startpos_family_relationships seems to work fine, but in game it will not show the two children I've set.

I've set in the startpos_family_relationships_table so that the character column is the spouse, and two children all related to the husband/father (who is the faction leader, set as such). This seems to follow the same pattern I've observed with other factions.

Is this something just not working? Or am I doing something wrong, overlooking something?
    edited May 2015
    So, after a bit more digging, in the startpos faction_arrays table the last row is where the game is told with what character to start a family tree. For my new faction, this was set to 0 for some reason. It should in fact have the characters number taken from the character_arrays (within the faction_arrays).

Setting this to the right character array should get it to work. I did it in my startpos manually and the family tree at least started to show up and look right, though the faction leader/generals portrait is empty. I'll post updated as I find out more.
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for posting these updates I'll try doing what you did myself.

Edit: Did you do this with an ESF editor or with the assembly kit? Can't find this number in the assembly kit but I do remember seeing what you're talking about when using an ESF editor.

Edit 2: Was able to get it working but no matter what number I changed in the faction array, the person at the top of the tree would always be some random person from the Geats.
    edited May 2015
    For the faction leader, you need to set him as the progenitor in the last column in the startpos_characters_table. That should do it for you. I was wrong before.
  • SamioSamio Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    ABH2 wrote: »
    For the faction leader, you need to set him as the progenitor in the last column in the startpos_characters_table. That should do it for you. I was wrong before.

So do you need to set him as a progenitor AND set his party or just his progenitor status?
    edited May 2015
    Thank you. Now the tough part will be assigning characters to parties.
    Samio wrote: »
    So do you need to set him as a progenitor AND set his party or just his progenitor status?
    Setting their party seems to crash the game for me at the moment.
    edited May 2015
    Setting their party seems to crash the game for me at the moment.

Did you assign the political parties to the factions in the faction_political_parties_junctions table?
    edited May 2015
    Did you assign the political parties to the factions in the faction_political_parties_junctions table?

Yes. The issue is that BOB hangs when processing the startpos and gets stuck there forever. Would you also happen to know where I go to edit the grand campaign faction selection screen? I remember being able to edit the model and stance of faction leaders on that page but can't remember which table it was.

Edit: I should also mention the problem comes when I assign characters to parties, not setting up the political parties.
    edited May 2015
    One issue you may be having is BOB likes to have the DB tables you changed in a pack file in your DB folder. So, if you added political parties and assigned them, put them in a pack file and drop them in like a mod.

And the leaders are on the frontend_faction_leaders table.

I've also had issues with BOB not assembling startpos's after I get crashes. I have to load the game up and go all the way into a campaign. That would occasionally happen in Rome 2, as well, but I usually only had to start the game up normally to clear things out.
    edited May 2015
    Did you assign individual characters to political parties in one of the startpos tables? I noticed lots of factions don't have it and its what's causing me to crash. I haven't tested manually putting political parties into the pack file but I will once I get home.

Edit: I tried assigning my faction leader to the Sassanid political party and it worked so that narrows it down a bit.

Edit 2: It goes back to crashing when opening the family tree all over again. I must be missing something simple I just don't know what it could be.
    edited May 2015
    Did you assign individual characters to political parties in one of the startpos tables? I noticed lots of factions don't have it and its what's causing me to crash. I haven't tested manually putting political parties into the pack file but I will once I get home.

Yes. I have my characters assigned to my newly created political parties. Family tree is also working. The hard thing about helping people with the Assembly Kit is it can be any little thing causing the CTD and, as I said above, BOB can be very temperamental.

It doesn't make much sense to people, but the two tips I suggested above work. I had to re-learn that myself yesterday the hard way trying to do a number of things.
    edited May 2015
    I tried launching a campaign and it still hangs when trying to process the startpos whenever I assign characters to my own factions. Not sure what you mean with your first tip. Can I process the startpos for an existing mod.pack? The political parties already show up in the db section.

Edit: Mind sending your .pack so I could use it as a comparison to find out what I might have missed?