Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Solution for the MacBook Pro 2015 13"

Emperor_AndreasEmperor_Andreas Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 5
edited February 2016 in Mac & Linux Support
Hello everyone

I bought on the release day the 13” MacBook Pro 2015, great was my disappointment when (me being a enormous Total War fan and former Windows user) the game could not make it into battle or into campaign. Meanwhile weeks and moths passed and the hope on CA releasing a patch for tis stupid bug ebbed away.

Previous Wednesday i thought, why shouldn't i take a look in the install folder (wich was indicated on the crash rapport), maybe there was something wrong with a random file or something,…
Suddenly i came across a batch file of 152,6 mb, witch i found quite odd. I double clicked it and the game started. In the game I was able to start and play the Western Roman Empire campaign now on turn 25 without any crash.

What do you need to do:
-make sure steam is on (i got the best results in offline mode)
- go to this folder: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Total War Attila/Attila.app/Contents/MacOS (fill in your Mac account name by USER, you can acces the folder with the go to folder option in finder, and in the presumption you installed Attila in the normal steam folder)
-in the folder that opens there will be an file of ca. 150 mb named “Attila”
-Double click that icon and the game will start
-Enjoy!
-For those who doesn’t not want to navigate to that folder everyday, you can make an alias and paste the alias on your desktop.

Nevertheless there are a few remarks to make, i have the Viking forefather DLC, by starting this way, it does not show up when your choosing a faction to play with (i can see but not play them when i start “normally” with steam), You can't play multiplayer and steam does not count your time and give you rewards for accomplishments in game. And no steam workshop items can be used. This aside, it works, not perfectly of course sometimes when in campaign you start a battle, the screen can be blank for 10 sec. before the real loading screen of Attila appears. The proces power of the MacBook is not that state of the art so be patient. And quitting the game you do best by using the force quit beneath the apple logo on the desktop.

Message to CA, fix this problem. On windows there are so few bugs for Attila and Rome II, make it work for the Mac (and linux) users as well. Or do not sell it with the advertise that it “works” on Mac. (I have rather a game then no game at all, however it would be nice if you could spent a little bit extra effort) The Mac port of Rome II was e mess as well, fix this problems please. I understand that developing a game coast money and effort. Users that come back every time to by your new game will not be so easily convinced to buy the next game again when they get no support at all on a problem clearly al Macbook Pro 2015 users experience.

Kind regards and still looking forward to a patch

Emperor_Andreas
Post edited by Lexi_CA on

Comments

• mustardmustard Member Registered Users Posts: 34
    edited July 2015
    Just wanted to say thank you and kudos to you being able to find a (relative) fix that CA and Sega have been unable to find in the months since I too bought the 2015 Mac. I've been liaising with a member of Sega's customer support and I shall forward the link to your post. Hopefully that will see a true fix implemented which will mean we can play all content and DLCs. Thanks again Emperor!
    edited July 2015
    Following from your fix and quote, I have made some tweaks and have managed to get my DLC packs working. I didn't change much, however, in the MacOS folder you navigated to, I opened the steam_appid.txt file in textedit. I googled the Attila app ID and found it was a different number to the one here. I changed the digits to 325610, saved and exited. Booted Attila as per your method and had all my DLCs installed and I have just started a game with the Picts.

I can not be sure that this number change is exactly what did it but I appear to have a working game (touch wood). I have not progressed from the first turn yet so I will update whether I experience any crashes etc.
  • Emperor_AndreasEmperor_Andreas Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited July 2015
    Changing the number seems to be the thing to make it work, great thanks to you!
    edited July 2015
    Changing the number seems to be the thing to make it work, great thanks to you!

I am very glad that this has worked for you too! If you hadn't discovered the original fix I would never have stumbled on the additional fix that I did so thank you once again.

Hope all 2015 Macbook users have the same success as us. Please comment in the thread if it worked for you.
    edited July 2015
    Charlotte/other CA staff. Please patch the game once a permanent fix is sorted. Also, try and improve game performance on Mac. My specs are far superior to my old Windows laptop yet the game is much slower. Happy to have it working but the game speed, even on max performance graphics, is unacceptable.
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,246
    edited July 2015
    Hi Emperor_Andreas and Mustard, thank you so much for this post - I've passed it along to the team , and hopefully a more permanent fix will be forthcoming =) I hope you dont mind me Stickying your thread to the top!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • shuhaoliushuhaoliu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    edited August 2015
    Hey guys,
    I was so excited when i first saw your work around, since I'm a owner of a 2015 Macbook pro and had been dealing with this for months! So i installed Attila through steam and tried to get to the folder that you mentioned. But this is were i can get to: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Total War Attila
    in the "Total War Attila" folder, i didn't see any folder called "Attila.app" nor anything as "Contents" or "MacOS" like you've mentioned
    in the "Total War Attila" folder, all i have is an icon of Attila (and named Attila), a folder named "data", a folder named "launcher" and a folder named "redist"
    I couldn't find anything useful in those three folders, there are many things in them but non of them are "Attila.app" or "steam_appid.txt"
    I don't know what's wrong, it just seems i don't have the folders named Attila.app or Contents or MacOs in the location where they should be...
    The Attila icon I mentioned in folder "Total War Attila" has a size of 156.1 mb, and if i double click it the game will launch, but can't fix the problem we had before.
    Any ideas? why i don't have those folders, seems everybody else can find them...

Thanks!
  • shuhaoliushuhaoliu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    edited August 2015
    Hey guys, i guess i finally found where they are located, and it worked magically!! So thank you guys very much, really appreciate it! still looking forward to a final patch by CA!
    edited August 2015
    shuhaoliu wrote: »
    Hey guys, i guess i finally found where they are located, and it worked magically!! So thank you guys very much, really appreciate it! still looking forward to a final patch by CA!

Glad you found it shuhaoliu. I hope we get some patches soon to improve game performance on Mac. I'd been waiting 4 months for a fix for 2015 Macbook Pros and without Emperor Andreas I am sure I'd still be waiting!
    edited August 2015
    I'm glad, so many people got the game to work by the solution pointed by Mustard and me.
    Nevertheless, am I the only one suffering from the long “end turn” phase?
    Is there anyone who has Windows Installed on the MacBook Pro 2015 who can test if it is just the CPU or if de game programming who's causing the problem?

Greetings

E_A
    edited August 2015
    I'm glad, so many people got the game to work by the solution pointed by Mustard and me.
    Nevertheless, am I the only one suffering from the long “end turn” phase?
    Is there anyone who has Windows Installed on the MacBook Pro 2015 who can test if it is just the CPU or if de game programming who's causing the problem?

Greetings

E_A

Yeah the end turn time is very long. I haven't installed windows but I am thinking of trying it. I'd like to hear reports of how it runs first though.
    edited August 2015
    Yesterday I was able to install Attila Total War on a Windows 8 To Go (external USB 3.0 HDD NOT SSD) which i had connected to my Mac.
    After installing the required drivers from Apple and Intel,
    I launched the game with a save-file of the Attila version on the mac.
    I adjusted the resolution just as on the mac version.
    The first thing I noticed was that the visual was so crisp in comparison with the Mac version which seems to have an permanent blur.
    Although the loading screens due to the external USB source where slightly longer (which has of course nothing to do with the game itself rather then the slow HDD source).
    The graphics where good, even grater unit sizes and other higher settings could well be handled by the intel 6100 GPU. The “Next Turn” time was the main “game” changer. From 5 min 30 sec on Mac OS, to about 30 sec on Windows 8.

If there is such a big difference even on this hardware combination, it is very clear that the bad programming is the onlything to be blamed. Not Apple or Intel.
    One more call, fix this game!
    edited August 2015
    Yesterday I was able to install Attila Total War on a Windows 8 To Go (external USB 3.0 HDD NOT SSD) which i had connected to my Mac.
    After installing the required drivers from Apple and Intel,
    I launched the game with a save-file of the Attila version on the mac.
    I adjusted the resolution just as on the mac version.
    The first thing I noticed was that the visual was so crisp in comparison with the Mac version which seems to have an permanent blur.
    Although the loading screens due to the external USB source where slightly longer (which has of course nothing to do with the game itself rather then the slow HDD source).
    The graphics where good, even grater unit sizes and other higher settings could well be handled by the intel 6100 GPU. The “Next Turn” time was the main “game” changer. From 5 min 30 sec on Mac OS, to about 30 sec on Windows 8.

If there is such a big difference even on this hardware combination, it is very clear that the bad programming is the onlything to be blamed. Not Apple or Intel.
    One more call, fix this game!
    Wow Andreas thanks for updating us on this. I have been thinking of installing Windows and now I know how much crisper Attila runs I will probably do this myself.
  • vittoitalyvittoitaly Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited September 2015
    hi Emperor Andreas and mustard, how do you do this? i m experiencing very slow turns as well: the game is unplayable... 5-10 minutes... does this work with every external hard drive?
    edited September 2015
    @vittoitaly and others
    In the meanwhile i've done an experiment with a spare intel SSD. The SSD was used in combination with an usb 2.0 dock (not like the previous experiment with the HDD with usb 3.0). In mine experience the combination with the SSD was best suited. With the HDD i’ve experienced a few minor latency issues. In your case I would buy an 128GB 3.0 USB stick to install Windows 8 and Attila on if you do not have an external disk. Be aware of the tough job to create the installer. It can take up to a day if you have never done this before.
    I think if you follow this workaround you will manage to get it working.

Good luck!
  • sahilpatel99sahilpatel99 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    hey i have the same problem as shuhaoliu, and he said he found folders eventually. where did you find them as i cant see them as well
    edited September 2015
    hey i have the same problem as shuhaoliu, and he said he found folders eventually. where did you find them as i cant see them as well

ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE FOLLOWING ANDREAS'S INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW CAREFULLY!!!

Sahil, read VERY carefully and follow the instructions EXACTLY.

On the "Finder" app (usually in bottom left corner), right click and select "go to folder".

Paste in the following (BOTH lines):
    /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Total War Attila/Attila.app/Contents/MacOS

HOWEVER before pressing enter, you must first change USERNAME to what you have named your Mac account. As the USERNAME is different for every Mac user. Mine is my first name... Whatever the account is that you have to log into when you start Mac, put this name instead of USERNAME.

Once you have navigated to this file, you will see the steam_appid.txt file. Right click this and open with TextEdit. Delete the numbers in here and change to 325610. Save and exit TextEdit. This will unlock the DLC content you have paid for.

Also in this file you will see the Attila Exec file. This is what you need to get the game working. Right click on the Attila Exec file and select to make an alias and drag this to your task bar for easy access. Double click and the game will load and you should be able to play it. Making an alias and moving it to desktop or taskbar means you don't have to navigate to this folder whenever you want to play.
  • cjbreencjbreen Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Hey guys, I just bought Attila and all but one of the dlc's in the most recent steam sale. I was super excited to play the game but I
    could never get past the open cinematic of a new campaign. So I looked and followed the instructions I found on this thread but it is
    even worse now I can't even get to the main menu it crashes on start. Can anyone help? I want to figure out what is wrong and if I
    might have done something wrong.
    edited September 2015
    cjbreen wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just bought Attila and all but one of the dlc's in the most recent steam sale. I was super excited to play the game but I
    could never get past the open cinematic of a new campaign. So I looked and followed the instructions I found on this thread but it is
    even worse now I can't even get to the main menu it crashes on start. Can anyone help? I want to figure out what is wrong and if I
    might have done something wrong.

Do you have a 2015 Macbook?

If you have followed the instructions and it's made it worse, then maybe you are doing something wrong.

Are you booting the game through the exec file or through steam?

Did you navigate to the correct folder and change the digits using textedit?

Unfortunately the Mac version of Attila is plagued with problems that the developers can't be bothered fixing.
  • cjbreencjbreen Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    mustard wrote: »
    Do you have a 2015 Macbook?

If you have followed the instructions and it's made it worse, then maybe you are doing something wrong.

Are you booting the game through the exec file or through steam?

Did you navigate to the correct folder and change the digits using textedit?

Unfortunately the Mac version of Attila is plagued with problems that the developers can't be bothered fixing.

I did follow the instructions and unless something on my Mac is different than the basic setup I don't know what went wrong. I am using
    a 2015 13" Mac Book Pro. I boot the game up using the Exec file but I am online in steam. I navigated to the correct file and changed
    the digits to what the instructions said. And I know the plague of the Mac's which sucks. But any tips as to maybe be able to play just a little bit I am so excited for this game and I would like to play no matter what at any time, rather than once a week when I get home.
    edited September 2015
    cjbreen wrote: »
    I did follow the instructions and unless something on my Mac is different than the basic setup I don't know what went wrong. I am using
    a 2015 13" Mac Book Pro. I boot the game up using the Exec file but I am online in steam. I navigated to the correct file and changed
    the digits to what the instructions said. And I know the plague of the Mac's which sucks. But any tips as to maybe be able to play just a little bit I am so excited for this game and I would like to play no matter what at any time, rather than once a week when I get home.

Could have been a problem that's hit you with the latest patch? I am not sure what to recommend I am afraid my friend. I am no computer whiz, I just got lucky with a fix for the DLC content after following Andreas's instructions. Unfortunately I, like you and many others, have been waiting months and months for CA/Sega to make the game playable, however they continue to let us down. I alerted them to the problems approx 7-8months ago and they STILL haven't created a permanent fix to starting up the game. That's putting aside the slow turn times, the fact the graphics are shocking despite my hardware being superior to a lot of windows PCs that play the game perfectly and plenty of other niggly issues that would have been fixed a long time ago if they surfaced on windows.

Maybe fiddle around with graphics settings? Disable anti-aliasing and other points. Failing that, perhaps try and reinstall and follow the instructions again? I am sorry I can't help you any further but wish you the best of luck in finding a fix soon!

One option I will be taking very soon is purchasing a fast external SSD and installing windows using it. Andreas mentioned this earlier in the thread and he saw very good results. Perhaps the only option that is left for us Mac users who want a playable game!

EDIT: Just tried to boot the game (played it briefly last week after buying new DLC content) and now mine isn't working at all either. SORT IT OUT CA/SEGA!!!!!
    edited September 2015
    Update: I deleted local content, reinstalled and tried to boot game through Steam, crashed at start of campaign.

I then booted it through the exec file and it worked, but no DLC content.

Once again edited the steam_appid file to 325610 and booted game through exec file. Appears to be working again. Same problems as usual but at least it works.

The new update/DLC appears to have caused some problems and the reinstall has helped.
  • sahilpatel99sahilpatel99 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    mustard wrote: »
    ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE FOLLOWING ANDREAS'S INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW CAREFULLY!!!

Sahil, read VERY carefully and follow the instructions EXACTLY.

On the "Finder" app (usually in bottom left corner), right click and select "go to folder".

Paste in the following (BOTH lines):
    /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Total War Attila/Attila.app/Contents/MacOS

HOWEVER before pressing enter, you must first change USERNAME to what you have named your Mac account. As the USERNAME is different for every Mac user. Mine is my first name... Whatever the account is that you have to log into when you start Mac, put this name instead of USERNAME.

Once you have navigated to this file, you will see the steam_appid.txt file. Right click this and open with TextEdit. Delete the numbers in here and change to 325610. Save and exit TextEdit. This will unlock the DLC content you have paid for.

Also in this file you will see the Attila Exec file. This is what you need to get the game working. Right click on the Attila Exec file and select to make an alias and drag this to your task bar for easy access. Double click and the game will load and you should be able to play it. Making an alias and moving it to desktop or taskbar means you don't have to navigate to this folder whenever you want to play.

MUSTARD, thank u so much the game in working well, no problems so far. i appreciate it man.
  • all5horizonsall5horizons Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    The fix so far seems to be working well...I did have one crash during a maritime battle, but so far the gameplay is greatly improved (no longer crashing every 10 minutes).

It's really a shame that Sega can't fix this for Mac. Feels like a waste of money, I know the 2015 Macbook Pro can run this game sufficiently.
  • ldunnski89ldunnski89 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited November 2015
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to get the game working via this method too. I was able to find the correct folder, changed the # in the .txt file to access the DLC, and successfully launched the game. However, I get stuck at the black and red load screen and eveventually crash out after a minute or so. Any ideas as to what I could try? Any help would be most appreciated.

I've pasted the terminal output text:

xxxxx-MacBook-Pro:~ xxxxx$ /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Total\ War\ Attila/Attila.app/Contents/MacOS/Attila ; exit;
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver GetSteamPath failed.
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dylib.
    2015-11-30 14:57:55.141 Attila[3442:550538] GLView accepting first responder
    2015-11-30 14:57:55.141 Attila[3442:550538] GLView accepting first responder
    2015-11-30 14:57:55.141 Attila[3442:550538] GLView responding
    logout

[Process completed]
  • BawzBawz Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem as cjbreem.
    I've found the folder and opened the exec file. Is it meant to trigger the steam launcher box?

It seems you guys have helped a lot of people and I had hope! Alas however it's still crashing just after the cinematic at the start of a campaign.

If anybody knows or has an idea of why this fix isn't working for me please share! This is torturing me!
  • bjorn7bjorn7 Registered Users Posts: 2
    mustard said:

Update: I deleted local content, reinstalled and tried to boot game through Steam, crashed at start of campaign.

I then booted it through the exec file and it worked, but no DLC content.

Once again edited the steam_appid file to 325610 and booted game through exec file. Appears to be working again. Same problems as usual but at least it works.

The new update/DLC appears to have caused some problems and the reinstall has helped.

Hi everyone. It seems like I'm not the only one having problems after the cinematic screen, and the loading for campaign/prologue. I tried everything Mustard said above, and still got an "Apple Crashed Unexpectedly" notice. its sad that they don't have a fix yet, if anyone has an update for the fix, please share! lol I'm a first time Total War gamer and this is very, very disappointing.
  • BeardTheMustacheBeardTheMustache Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I went through all the steps of the instructions given by Emperor_Andreas and mustard (started the game from the indicated folder and changed the app number) but this didn't change a thing to the game. It still crashes when the loading to a campaign is done and tells me that it quit unexpectedly. The only difference is that it opens the Terminal when it launches. Maybe I did something wrong?

And seriously CA? I paid money for something that doesn't even work and you're not even trying to fix it? I mean come on it has been a year and I still haven't played the game. The least you could do is offer a refund.

Now I know why people say you're such an awful company, you don't even listen to your customers! Please fix your game.

If someone finds a fix or something please respond.
  • jrhuttjrhutt Registered Users Posts: 2
    Downloaded the game this weekend and had the same issues.

Tried the fix and it no longer seems to work in offline or online mode.

Refund requested through Steam.

Very disappointed as i'm a total war fan and will be even more disappointed if this is the same quality of product they release when Total War: Warhammer is released.
  • WotecorixWotecorix Member Registered Users Posts: 39
    It's ridiculous that this has been a problem since July of 2015 and the only "solution" the developers have to offer is sticky this thread to the top of the discussions. If your consumers have to fix the problem themselves, then you should not be offering a product that is, like someone mentioned above, advertised as working. That is horrible business and I'm surprised it has just blown over this easily. I am a die-hard Total War fan but I think this is where my support dies out. As far as I am concerned, Rome II Total War is the last title of the series until its successor is in functioning condition because I don't feel like wasting time and money on another game from CA that may or may not work.

With that being said, I too am still experiencing difficulties starting the game despite following the discussion's directions. I am glad that it worked for some because I know that I was looking forward to playing Attila for some time. Unless a genuine fix is on its way, I might just cut my losses and ask for my money back.