Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Battle of Black Fire Pass Developer Walkthrough

Joey CAJoey CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 750Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
Hello All!

Today we’re very excited to reveal the first of many gameplay videos for Total War: WARHAMMER - The Battle of Black Fire Pass Developer Walkthrough.

It shows the spectacular scripted battle, using pre-alpha game code, that formed the basis for this year’s Total War: WARHAMMER E3 press demo, in full and unedited.

The demo depicts a mighty clash between the forces of the Empire led by Emperor Karl Franz and a Greenskin horde led by Orc Warboss Grimgor Ironhide. The in-game capture, accompanied by developer commentary, offers an early glimpse at some of the fantastical battlefield units, spells, war machines, and monstrous creatures that will appear in the final game. The Battle of Black Fire Pass will feature in Total War: WARHAMMER as a Quest Battle, available specifically to Karl Franz, and is just one of the many unique missions you can undertake as you progress through the Grand Campaign.

So what are you waiting for? Dive into the action and have a look at what Total War: WARHAMMER has in store for you!

The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Joey CA on

Comments

• myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Posts: 440Registered Users
    edited July 2015
  • HollandiaHollandia Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    YEAAH there it is :D:D
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!

Team Dwarf
  • DahvosDahvos Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    horray its here
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,991Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    That was worth watching. Tanks, Joey. :D

So, Reiklanders, then?
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    *_*'
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • FAT_KONANFAT_KONAN Senior Member Canary Islands (Total War)Posts: 885Registered Users
    edited July 2015
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Posts: 750Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited July 2015
    You guys won't want to Black Fire PASS on this video...

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • VuorinorriVuorinorri Senior Member Posts: 1,527Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    that was just awesome

i7-4770K cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    Inno3D GTX1060 Gaming OC 6GB
    MSI Z97-G43 Gaming
    16GB 1600Hz CL10 DDR3
    Seasonic M12II 620W Bronze 80+
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    SilverStone RedLine 4B with 2x120mm and 3x140mm Spectre

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL

• GrimtalosGrimtalos Member Posts: 414Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Really glad with the amount of different Orc & goblin units we saw. Savage orcs and Forest goblins seem to be in, hope they are not limited to just archers and spider riders. Would be cool to have forest goblin spear men even if they arnt any differnet to normal goblins other than looks.

Is it me, or did the Empire look screwed :) the Trolls and Large spiders were making a mess of any units they came in contact with.
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,991Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Grimtalos wrote: »
    Really glad with the amount of different Orc & goblin units we saw. Savage orcs and Forest goblins seem to be in, hope they are not limited to just archers and spider riders. Would be cool to have forest goblin spear men even if they arnt any differnet to normal goblins other than looks.

Is it me, or did the Empire look screwed :) the Trolls and Large spiders were making a mess of any units they came in contact with.

It made as many mistakes as it did for the purposes of the demonstration. :)
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • VuorinorriVuorinorri Senior Member Posts: 1,527Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Grimtalos wrote: »

forest gobbos would have stalk or some other fantastic perks to have and make them unique that way imo. and ye, Empire took some hard punching :D

i7-4770K cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    Inno3D GTX1060 Gaming OC 6GB
    MSI Z97-G43 Gaming
    16GB 1600Hz CL10 DDR3
    Seasonic M12II 620W Bronze 80+
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    SilverStone RedLine 4B with 2x120mm and 3x140mm Spectre

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL

• graczgracz Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Animations and physics still require a lot of work. Cavalry again stops immediately after touching the enemy (what happened with the mechanics of the charge from the In-engine trailer?) Also explosions look very poorly. I'd like to see ragdoll physic in the final version. Fortunately , it is still only pre-alpha and I believe that the final version will look a thousand times better :)
  • GuerrilleroGuerrillero Senior Member EstaliaPosts: 543Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    This is so freaking awesome. Just looks a bit weird so many chunky orcs and trolls jumping when they charge, but hey, this is the best pre-alpha footage I've ever seen
    Malekith is the true Phoenix King and Wood elves can suck my Widow-maker

AZoReu8.png
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Posts: 750Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited July 2015
    gracz wrote: »
    Animations and physics still require a lot of work. Cavalry again stops immediately after touching the enemy (what happened with the mechanics of the charge from the In-engine trailer?) Also explosions look very poorly. I'd like to see ragdoll physic in the final version. Fortunately , it is still only pre-alpha and I believe that the final version will look a thousand times better :)

Animations and especially cavalry and infantry impacts are something we are working on as we mentioned in the video :)

• wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Posts: 473Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Look forward to this game. I even look more forward to seeing a hint hint, "Blood pack" in the makes for it as well. Nothing like seeing a ORK swing a battle axe at someones head and seeing the decapitation and blood squirting out like a ketchup bottle. :p
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================

TOTAL WAR: Three Kingdoms / Thrones of Britannia / Warhammer 1 & 2 / Attila /
    Rome 1 & 2 / Rome - Alexander / Empire / Napoleon / Shogun 1 & 2 / Medieval 1 & 2 / Medieval Barbarians /
    All games listed have all DLC's & Packs that were offered /

====================================================================================
  • OxuOxu Senior Member Posts: 651Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    That giant spider eatibg people was pure nightmare fuel...
  • MrOuijaMrOuija Senior Member Posts: 698Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Really nice video. The only things I don't like are the Attila style tracers. How much cooler would it have been to have puffs of smoke when the gunners fired like in Napoleon? The leaping animations seemed a bit repetitive as well, and maybe some more vibrant colors? Things like the savage orcs and state troops should really stand out.
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Posts: 2,328Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    The spider spitting out the weapons, after eating a state trooper was a nice detail.
  • LittleLegionaireLittleLegionaire Member Posts: 46Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Collision and unit cohesiveness was vastly improved.

Impacts too, I mean the problem with Rome 2 and Attila is that the units charge, then transition into generic "Combat stance" and start at the enemy, awkwardly shuffling around to start doing animations that there is no space for.

Here the Orcs, Goblins, whatever charge into melee and immediatly start ******g **** up. I rarely saw infantry just standing around doing nothing, so much crazy **** was happening. I mean Grimgor was charging and smashing people with his axe, while Orc Boyz were leaping into Empire Halberdiers, who were either jumping out of the way or getting crushed. The halberdiers got devestated by some trolls, while Karl Franz and a Warboss battled in the skies. Then a wyvern comes down and messes up the state troops with rifles.

Earlier some Carbine cavalry state troops were devasted by Da green moon, then Demigryphs and Knights charged into the back of Orc and Goblin riders, devasting them. I also liked how troops were thrown around and alot more varied movement was shown. It is a great break from the Roman cohesive lines of Rome 2, where units stared at eachother and barely looked motivated. We got orcs shouting Waaagh! and state troops saying "What the F*** is that!?" (sorta).

If the game can be this animated, and be at an acceptable past (This seemed very fast) then I'm happy.
  • MallersMallers Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Have to say I liked the idea of controlling the kamikaze goblins (doom divers?) Try for pin point accuracy!
    Windows 10
    Nvidia 980TI
    8gb Ram
    edited July 2015
    Looks like Lords do have a bodyguard but heroes dont.

I hope thats something that can be modded. You know, just give a Warrior Priest a handful of flagellants to accompany or something.
  • YoshimoYoshimo Senior Member Dundee/ScotlandPosts: 216Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    That was brilliant. Really, really brilliant.
    edited July 2015
    Orkfaeller wrote: »
    Looks like Lords do have a bodyguard but heroes dont.

I hope thats something that can be modded. You know, just give a Warrior Priest a handful of flagellants to accompany or something.

That's correct- Heroes act more like individual units so there is an element of managing their movement and abilities. You can't include or hide them in a unit.

edited July 2015
    Mallers wrote: »
    Have to say I liked the idea of controlling the kamikaze goblins (doom divers?) Try for pin point accuracy!

It's pretty difficult and a lot of fun. I hope to do a good job at Gamescom next week :/

• GarethYNWAGarethYNWA Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Honestly guys please just take my money!!!! I'm so super stoked this looks amazing!!! When is the next one.... Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited July 2015
    Wasn't it stated that Warhammer will cap us at 20 units at a time?

Like, if we get a second army to reinforce, units will only enter the battlefield once units of the first army get routed? Similar to how older TW titles did it?

'Cause I'm counting about 30 or so units for the Empire.

Was this done for the presentation?
    Do we get extra unit(slots) in quest battles?
    Or is my original asumption incorrect?
  • TarvosTarvos Member Posts: 139Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    The animations and optics in this video are pretty impressive, to be honest.

Jump attacking trolls, AOE attacks, air combat. Some of them still look a bit clunky, but that's already an impressive level of detail.
    I mean Total War Attila, Rome 2 and Shogun 2 have so many units with very similar animations. Now you present us a video were you have felt dozens of different animation sets.
    It's just logical that we like that :D

Nonetheless, you are right, you have to work on the impacts of cavallery charges. They are a mess in Rome 2 and Attila and in this video.
    Further you should generally work on the cavallery.

The domm divers look funny :) Unfortunately, I can't go to the gamescom in this year. I wanted to come, but then something got in my way. Meh.
  • HollandiaHollandia Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Coming 2016 ? :( :(
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!

Team Dwarf
  • KaiserfrontKaiserfront Senior Member Posts: 878Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Warhammer literally come to life in this game. I ******g love it.
    How to make Sieges great again:
    23svo7o.jpg
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,832Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    I was squealing like a little girl after watching this video. Have to say, my hype was already pretty high, but now it is just through the roof. So glad to see so many units from the tabletop in as well.