Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Medieval II Total War and Windows 10

MTW_NewbMTW_Newb Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in Medieval II: Total War
Hi,

Well I dusted off my copy of MTW II Total War and installed it on my recently upgrade to Windows 10 lap top.

Doesn't work. I have set to run as administrator after getting the annoying message and it just doesn't run.

I have installed it to a custom folder instead of ProgramFiles as I know that can cause problems.

I haven't patched yet but want to get the basic game working first.

Anyone got any solutions?
Post edited by MTW_Newb on

Comments

• MTW_NewbMTW_Newb Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited August 2015
    So no one has had an issue with M2TW and Windows 10?

If you have the answer then I'd appreciate and tips.
  • CheChe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 805
    edited August 2015
    Sorry to hear that.... I suggest you search the official technical support forum for Total War Eras games (including Medieval 2 Total War), and if you don't find your answer there, then I suggest you start a new thread there:

http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisplay.php/19-Total-War-Eras-Support-Forum
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKRegistered Users Posts: 2,580
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Che for pointing him towards the right direction. :)

I responded to your message MTW_Newb in your thread.
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Ironside12Ironside12 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,127
    edited August 2015
    Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 8 or 8.1?

Also, updating it could potentially fix the problem.
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    Balancing is a far more intricate thing than looking at who wins a 1v1 fight.

My Build:
    CPU- i7-4790k Devils Canyon @4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H110i GT
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    PSU- Corsair 1200i 1200W
    GPU-R9 290X Sapphire Tri-X
    Boot Drive: Intel 530 series 240GB SSD
    Game Drive: Intel 730 series 480GB SSD
    Storage Drive: WD Black 2TB HDD
  • CharlesJohnsCharlesJohns Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Hello I have the same problem with M2TW and Windows 10. Get the annoying message and then when I set to run as an administrator it just doesn't work. Any help appreciated.
  • CollingwoodCollingwood Member Registered Users Posts: 111
    edited August 2015
    After much faffing about, I reverted to win7. Not only did some of my games not function, I had to re-install an Nvidia driver and my onboard Realtek sound didn't work. Just silence. Windows was unable to detect a sound device, in spite of them all functioning correctly in device manager, with up to date drivers.
    I have better things to do than bugger about trying to get things to work, such as play the game, so I just reverted back. Maybe I'll go to 10 when they've ironed out some of the probs.

Not very helpful, I know, but reverting to your previous OS takes only a few minutes. Nowhere near as long as a system restore.
    'In Peace, prepare for War. In War, prepare for more War' - Anon
  • flowlikewaterflowlikewater Registered Users Posts: 1
    Convert it to a steam game, that works.
  • HanonenHanonen PortugalRegistered Users Posts: 2
    I have the same ishue...medieval2 is not working on win 10 and I get that anoyng message that a problem occured and the game will exit...I already searched on the web and somebody says that the problem is conflict with other total war games installed...but I dont wanna uninstal total war rome 1, so I think I don't gonna get to play this one :(:(:(
  • CoreliasCorelias Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    Win10 is missing all drivers for copy protections, that were used in the past.
    If you still use one of those "old versions" (non-steam versions) of Rome / Bi, Medieval 2) , which check for a CD /DVD, you are screwed.
    Microsoft will (or has already) remove(d) the drivers for Win7 and 8(.1), so the same will be true for these OS, too.
    So, where is the petition to CA to remove the copy protection from the exe-Files for Rome, BI, Alexander and Medieval 2 or to provide the people owning those old versions with steam-keys (after registering the copy protection serial)
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,106

Convert it to a steam game, that works.

Yes, unfortunately. The problem is due to how MicroSoft has decided to conduct their business.
    Corelias said:

Win10 is missing all drivers for copy protections, that were used in the past.
    If you still use one of those "old versions" (non-steam versions) of Rome / Bi, Medieval 2) , which check for a CD /DVD, you are screwed.
    Microsoft will (or has already) remove(d) the drivers for Win7 and 8(.1), so the same will be true for these OS, too.
    So, where is the petition to CA to remove the copy protection from the exe-Files for Rome, BI, Alexander and Medieval 2 or to provide the people owning those old versions with steam-keys (after registering the copy protection serial)

As mentioned above, this is not a Creative Assembly issue. You need to be giving MS a hard time. Btw, no petitions allowed on the forum.

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• The_Nerdy_PlaneThe_Nerdy_Plane Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi, I may be a bit late, but here's a tutorial I made that show how to run M2TW in Windows 10.

I hope it helps!

The Nerdy Plane
    edited December 2016

Hi, I may be a bit late, but here's a tutorial I made that show how to run M2TW in Windows 10.

The Nerdy Plane

Please don't forget to check my whole channel, and maybe even subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPUI27PW_48p8CsDzK6vwA :)

Post edited by The_Nerdy_Plane on
    Oh, and if you're want to know why it doesn't work, it's because SecuRom and SafeDisk use Secdrv.sys. Microsoft decided to remove Secdrv.sys from Windows 10, due to security reasons. It is a file that is deeply embedded into the system, and can (has) provide hackers a doorway into the deepest depths of your computer. Not really what you want. I think Microsoft will also give Windows 8/8.1, 7 and Vista a patch that will block Secdrv.sys, if they haven't already.

The Nerdy Plane
  • drhansondrhanson Registered Users Posts: 4
    I recently purchased Medieval Total War - Gold Edition from Steam and downloaded it to my Windows 10 desktop. I have two problems that I need help to solve:

1. The game worked fine for the first 80 or 90 turns with the exception that I can't disband units (more about that in # 2 below). However, as soon as my game had progressed to the point where I was moving double-stacked armies into regions where my enemy also had double-stacked armies, the game crashed when I clicked the button to process the year's actions. The only message I get just says that the game had stopped working. From what I read on the Steam site this problem is pretty common, but I can't find any solution on that site and it tells me to contact Sega. Is there anything I can do to solve this crash problem, or do I just need to ask for a refund from Steam?

2. I can't disband any units. There is no place on the unit profile scroll (or whatever it is called) where I can give that command. I used to own the disk version years ago and I remember there was a place to click to disband units, but it isn't there in the Steam version. How do I disband units?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,106
    @drhanson

What is your screen resolution? I have Win 10 and a Steam install of the game. It runs fine. The only thing I had to do was change the screen resolution. You might tinker with that.

Right clicking on the unit open the unit detail popup and the disband button is there so there may be something in your your setup. You might verify your game cache through Steam. Also, run a compatibility check and see if running as Win 7 works.

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

dge1 said:

@drhanson

What is your screen resolution? I have Win 10 and a Steam install of the game. It runs fine. The only thing I had to do was change the screen resolution. You might tinker with that.

Right clicking on the unit open the unit detail popup and the disband button is there so there may be something in your your setup. You might verify your game cache through Steam. Also, run a compatibility check and see if running as Win 7 works.

Thank you very much for your quick response.

My resolution for both the campaign map and the battle map is the lowest setting, 800 x 600. As for the disband button, I have been right-clicking the unit, but there is no disband button on the unit detail. I don't know what could be off in my setup, since it is just a standard Steam installation.

I am not an experienced Steam user and don't know how to verify the game cache through Steam. Can you please tell me how I would do that?
    From the Steam game menu, right click on the game, at the bottom of the popup select Properties. Third tab from the left is Local Files. Select it then select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

dge1 said:

From the Steam game menu, right click on the game, at the bottom of the popup select Properties. Third tab from the left is Local Files. Select it then select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Thank you . I followed those instructions and learned that there were 3 problematic files. Steam said it would acquire the correct ones. I didn't see any activity on my screen but I waited about an hour to give it time to do that. The game still crashed at the same place.

I then did a compatibility check and ran the game as Windows 7. That made the Disband button appear but didn't solve the crash issue. Then I dropped the resolution down to 640 x 480, but that made no difference. Then I made a wild stab and set it to 16 bit color...still crashes.

So I'm still stuck. One thing that may be significant, however, is that it is possible I'm not running Medieval II. I downloaded Steam's Medieval Gold, which I assumed was the name for the version of Medieval II that comes bundled with Viking Invasion. Could this actually be the original Medieval TW? And if so, could that be the reason that it won't work when playing as Windows 7 on a Windows 10 computer?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,488
    Viking Invasion is the expansion to the original Medieval, not Medieval 2. It should still run under Win 10 https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/167166/medieval-total-war-new-patch-live-11-01-2016 and various other stickies in that forum..

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

Viking Invasion is the expansion to the original Medieval, not Medieval 2. It should still run under Win 10 https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/167166/medieval-total-war-new-patch-live-11-01-2016 and various other stickies in that forum..

I saw that announcement of the patch that you referred to. However, I've had no luck trying to find out where to go to download it. That announcement was posted a year ago and it was followed by several posts asking where to find the patch.. The only answer was "There is no link. It only downloads via Steam if you bought steam version." But I did buy the Steam version! So either that patch was included in my download, in which case it didn't solve the problem, or there is some way to download it that I can't figure out. Any suggestions?
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandRegistered Users, Moderators Posts: 8,876
    Hi drhanson,

If you have the Steam Gold version of MTW, better not try to install any of the original patches to it. Steam will autopatch the game when a patch becomes available.

If you haven't yet tried it, you can try to run the game as an administrator from the Properties/Compatibility menu. It may require for you to start a new campaign for it to work though.
  • dforschlerdforschler Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have managed to install Medieval Total War II on Windows 10, WITHOUT needing to open a Steam account and here's how I did it:

1. I opened the contents of the disk in Windows Expollorer by way of My Computer (or whatever the heck Win 10 calls it).
    2. I right clicked on the Setup.exe file and selected to run a compatability check.
    3. I tested the Setup.exe file to run with Windows Xp, and when the setup utility tried to run I saved that setting so that every time it would run the setup utility it would run with XP settings.
    4. The setup utility froze the first time, but the second time it fired up. I installed the game.
    5. I downloaded and installed DirectX 9c onto the computer.
    6. I tried to fire up the game... it gave me an error message initially, but I removed the disk an put it back in and that time it fired up and worked seamlessly.