Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

First Hands-on Gameplay Impressions!

Joey CAJoey CA Creative AssemblyModerators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 750
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Hi All!

First gameplay hands-on impressions with Total War: WARHAMMER are Live!

Over the past few weeks we’ve been inviting the press and community to get hands-on with an early Dwarf Quest Battle. ‘Ambush at the Thundering Falls’ sees Legendary Lord Thorgrim Grudgebearer beset by Greenskins in the ancient Dwarfen Underway, and showcases new features and units in one of our epic new subterranean battle map!

To read more on what eurogamer thought about the gameplay, new features and the Dwarfs, click the link below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-16-total-war-warhammer-preview

To find all current articles on these first impressions, there’s a handy list on our official Wiki here:
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/First_Hands-on_Impressions

Joey CA
The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Joey CA on

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,053
    edited September 2015
  • SuperbobrikSuperbobrik Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 171
    edited September 2015

OMG
    Slayers!
    Team Orcs and Goblins
  • XytriusXytrius Senior Member North AmericaRegistered Users Posts: 126
    edited September 2015
    Ooooh this is great! The above video makes me wanna cry! Go TW: WH :)
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,660
    edited September 2015
    Don't worry.
  • thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2015
  • FrogerFroger Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 174
    edited September 2015
    Epic cannons, flamethrowers (oh YEAH) and f******* Bomberhelis...

Yep, I like this style of warfare...

Always outnumbered, never outgunned :D
    "Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war." - William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,014
    edited September 2015
    Wow, looking more and more impressive with every update :)

Joey, any chance you can confirm or deny whether the recently shown campaign map is for the first instalment or for the whole trilogy?
  • DailmDailm Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 30
    edited September 2015
    All i could have hoped for looking good. I hope we get some VC or campaign reveal soon!
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,152
    edited September 2015
    Vampires and Ethereal units will be revealed Halloween week or day do y'all think? They are keeping the pace pretty fast as it is only September and it feels like a release might be a bit earlier than I expected. 1st Quarter 2016 might be really early first quarter. I still hope that Sega pressure doesn't rush it out the door early- just announce release date and pre-order prior to Christmas and sales will still be pretty heavy during holidays.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Registered Users Posts: 1,492
    edited September 2015
    This looks just amazing. I could cry. :cool:
    My Rig:
    i7 8700k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    32GB 3000Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2015
    Ichon wrote: »
    Vampires and Ethereal units will be revealed Halloween week or day do y'all think? They are keeping the pace pretty fast as it is only September and it feels like a release might be a bit earlier than I expected. 1st Quarter 2016 might be really early first quarter. I still hope that Sega pressure doesn't rush it out the door early- just announce release date and pre-order prior to Christmas and sales will still be pretty heavy during holidays.

Good call about haloween. Although I hope we dont get release dates until as late as possible. That will reduce pressure on ca
  • Sulieman the MagnficentSulieman the Magnficent Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    edited September 2015
    I don't know how, but this is exactly how I envisioned Warhammer tw to be. I don't like the fast paced battles though, and I hope the lighting shown there will APPEAR in the FINAL version of the game's RELEASE DATE. Rome 2 suffered from a lack of fire, Attila had it, and Warhammer has to have it.

It really is an excellent preview, although I note that many animations are not finished. Also more annoying is that none of the videos on youtube have let us seen the combat in first person, nor the flying helicopters. Eurogamer also pointed out a couple of missing units, so I hope we get a MASSIVE roster if its going to be like a Sands of Empire DLC, which by far is one of the best DLCs in total war history, far better than pointless unit packs. Its akin to that of the Peninsular Campaign.
    Dwarf Battle cry: " For the High King and the glory of the dwarfs "
    Team Dwarves
    "
  • TSheesleyTSheesley Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited September 2015
    Could we have classical music integrated into the game when the organ guns are firing? This looks awesome!
  • panic2upanic2u Member Registered Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2015
    The only thing they NEED to change is the ******g flame frowers,i mean it makes no sense that fire works like arrows and ****.
  • CollateralCollateral Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 407
    edited September 2015
    I don't know how, but this is exactly how I envisioned Warhammer tw to be. I don't like the fast paced battles though, and I hope the lighting shown there will APPEAR in the FINAL version of the game's RELEASE DATE. Rome 2 suffered from a lack of fire, Attila had it, and Warhammer has to have it.

It really is an excellent preview, although I note that many animations are not finished. Also more annoying is that none of the videos on youtube have let us seen the combat in first person, nor the flying helicopters. Eurogamer also pointed out a couple of missing units, so I hope we get a MASSIVE roster if its going to be like a Sands of Empire DLC, which by far is one of the best DLCs in total war history, far better than pointless unit packs. Its akin to that of the Peninsular Campaign.
    I don't know what animations people are talking about. We barely saw any animations. If you mean the giant, he was glitching, so it wasn't really an animation issue.
    edited September 2015
    People who had hands on time saw alot more animations than the footage CA has allowed released- so far all the talk is overwhelmingly positive which I distrust. I'm curious to see how AngryJoe handles it as despite he being a bit clueless on some parts of TW he doesn't seem likely to hold back from calling out some potential issues.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2015
    I had tears, seeing that wonderful dwarf army to life :D

The only thing I dislike : why is that Thane so much bigger than the other dwarves ? It seems really ... strange, he seems under steroids lol
    Also, those flame canons should work similar to flamethrower, not sending fire balls.

But that's only small details, I really can't wait to play my favourite race above all ! Keep going CA, don't disappoint us :)
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
    edited September 2015
    Eh... I have never liked how CA does flames- arrows everything is always overdone. Finally in a fantasy landscape I can't complain too much because normal rules don't apply especially with Dwarf runes but those flame cannons shoot really far!
  • Bart_CABart_CA Creative Assembly Horsham, UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Posts: 350
    edited September 2015
    Fredrin wrote: »
    Joey, any chance you can confirm or deny whether the recently shown campaign map is for the first instalment or for the whole trilogy?

/puts on Joey voice

Why yes, I can confirm it represents the first game and not the whole trilogy.

Currently under development and subject to change.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited September 2015
    Bart CA wrote: »

/puts on Joey voice

...I freakin' told ya people :D
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,014
    edited September 2015

/puts on Joey voice

Haha, need to hear that Joey voice irl (Rally point cameo, maybe?)

Anyway, that is AWESOME news. Way bigger than anyone's expectations I think it's fair to say. I wonder if the whole map will be discoverable at launch or new areas will open up with each DLC. Most intriguing.. :)
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,232
    edited September 2015
    Dailm wrote: »
    All i could have hoped for looking good. I hope we get some VC or campaign reveal soon!

100 times this, now that I see game with UI... I want to see Vampie Counts gameplay, or Drakenhof siege :O
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    edited September 2015
    Fredrin wrote: »
    Haha, need to hear that Joey voice irl (Rally point cameo, maybe?)

Anyway, that is AWESOME news. Way bigger than anyone's expectations I think it's fair to say. I wonder if the whole map will be discoverable at launch or new areas will open up with each DLC. Most intriguing.. :)
    Well I would guess no, since each new game is supposed to expand the map, why would we be able to see what is coming next ? :P

Edit: nvm I think I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were talking about the entire world, which I suppose you are not.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,232
    edited September 2015
    To maintain progression throughout a campaign, units will be recruitable with different types of weapons—in keeping with Warhammer lore, of course
    “So that’s kind of something that we’ve looked at and used to flesh out and create a variety of units for the user to play with. May that be spears and shields, greataxes, hammers. There will be opportunities to scope your army. With the dwarfs here you might go down the warrior route with the Slayers and focus on the more hard-hitting units, rather than going down the more technological units with the Iron Drakes and looking at using the flamethrowers and artillery pieces. There will be scope for good progression there.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/six-new-things-we-noticed-while-playing-total-war-warhammer/

Ok I'm listening :D that is absolutely fantastic news

Also this is the battle that I'm going to try out next week YAY!! :D
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited September 2015

/puts on Joey voice

Awesomesauce.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,342
    edited September 2015
    Ichon wrote: »
    People who had hands on time saw alot more animations than the footage CA has allowed released- so far all the talk is overwhelmingly positive which I distrust. I'm curious to see how AngryJoe handles it as despite he being a bit clueless on some parts of TW he doesn't seem likely to hold back from calling out some potential issues.

No, it's the opposite. Aj has really lost my trust and I would trust the total war YouTube channels like THFE, Indypride, etc. Way more than him
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    edited September 2015
    Seldkam wrote: »
    No, it's the opposite. Aj has really lost my trust and I would trust the total war YouTube channels like THFE, Indypride, etc. Way more than him
    I agree. I don't see why we wouldn't trust all of these youtubers. That's just really paranoid.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,342
    edited September 2015
    Collateral wrote: »
    I agree. I don't see why we wouldn't trust all of these youtubers. That's just really paranoid.

Disclaimer though, I will never pre-order. BUT, not hoping is also extreme to a fault
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANRegistered Users Posts: 583
    edited September 2015
    Just WoW and WoW and WoW :D
    What a fantastic total war it would be.... caaaan'ttttt wait to play it :p :cool:
    Karl Franz Campaign ---> Finished
    Grimgor Campaign ---> Finished
    Mannfred Campaign ---> Finished
    Kroq Gar Campaign ---> Finished
    Settra Campaign ---> Finished
    Nakai Campaign ---> Finished
    Malekith Campaign ---> Finished
    Karl Franz Campaign (ME) ---> Finished
  • Bucle_ctBucle_ct Member Registered Users Posts: 64
    edited September 2015
    Amazing footage... but I'm dissapointed for still not see8ng footage of unit's command groups (officer,standard bearer, musician). Are they gonna be into game at all?