Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Legendary Lord: Ungrim Ironfist

Matty CAMatty CA Creative AssemblyRegistered Users Posts: 595
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
Hello folks,

after we've mentioned Ungrim in yesterdays blog post, we wanted to give you the inside scoop on the Last of the Slayer Kings.

Enjoy,
Matty

UNGRIM IRONFIST

Ungrim-Poster-Final.png

Last Slayer King of Karak Kadrin

There are few kinds of monsters that walk the world that Ungrim Ironfist has not slain in battle. Armed with the enormous Axe of Dargo, Ungrim deals death – carving a path of red ruin before him while singing songs of old in a booming voice. Atop his head is a bright orange crest that rises above a sturdy horned helmet set with a golden crown. For Ungrim is both a Slayer and a King, more than likely the last of the line of Slayer Kings of Karak Kadrin.

The tale of Ungrim’s family, the Drakebeard Clan, is full of woe, as those in the clan of royal blood bear a history of calamities. Many years ago King Baragor, Ungrim’s five times great grandsire, suffered a terrible loss which drove him to take the oath of the Slayers. What caused such a drastic decision was not recorded. It is commonly assumed that the cause was the death of his daughter at the claws of the Dragon Skaladrak while on her way to marry the son of the High King of Karaz-a-Karak. In any case, Baragor became the first Slayer of Karak Kadrin. He was torn between conflicting vows: the Slayer oath to seek out death and the oath of a king to protect his people. In the end, good Dwarf sense prevailed, and he found a way to honour all commitments. He founded the famed Slayer shrine of Karak Kadrin, the largest shrine to Grimnir. Thus, he established a haven for Slayers that continues to this day. His son inherited his vows and continued the line of the Slayer Kings, of which Ungrim Ironfist is but the latest.

Although Ungrim cannot seek his death in Slayer fashion, he grows ever more restless, leading the throng of Karak Kadrin into countless battles. Inspired by his High King and seeking to avenge his lone son who was slain, Ungrim will march to war with the least provocation. It was Ungrim who slew the Dragon of Black Peak and who broke Queek Headtaker’s siege of King Belegar’s citadel in Karak Eight Peaks. The Slayer King has beaten Ogre mercenary Golfgang Maneater and held off a Chaos army in the Battle of High Pass. Most Dwarfs are amazed Ungrim has lived so long, and none think that a mighty death in battle can be very far away.
Community Co-ordinator - Total War Digital Team

Total War Battles Social Media Channels
Facebook: /totalwarbattles
Twitter: @totalwarbattles

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Matty CA on

Comments

• SuperbobrikSuperbobrik Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 171
    edited October 2015
    Great! But sadly that there is no video.. Hope we will get new Rally Point today:)
    Team Orcs and Goblins
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,459
    edited October 2015
    Time to ramp up production, Sotek. Thanks Matty. :)
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,767
    edited October 2015
    Woo! An excuse to declare war over the smallest thing! :D
    Don't worry.
  • koaxialkoaxial Member Registered Users Posts: 170
    edited October 2015
    Nice! It's a really hard choice between playing him or Thorgrim...
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    edited October 2015
    There are trolls in dwarf territory? To war with the EMPIRE?!?!?! Dwarf logic
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited January 2016
    The Slayer King has beaten Ogre mercenary Golfgang Maneater

I'm sorry, is that a typo or did you seriously rename G-O-L-G-F-A-G Maneater because his name ends with fàg?!

6.jpg

Edit: I can't even link to his page on the official Games-Workshop site, his black library novel or his WarhammerWiki entry because of the word filter on this site.

>http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Golg***-Maneater<
    >http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer/golg***s-revenge-ebook.html<
    >http://warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Golg***'s_Ogres<

- Man, I can't wait when Skaven get their release and no ones able to write Bone'ripper cause it has
    b-o-n-e-r in it.

Please, who ever runs this site, please, sort out the terrible swear filter. Its only censoring completely harmless words and does nothing against actual **** posting ( < see? ).

You can't even write the word d-a-m-n, even in a warhammer context, as in
    "Mordheim: City of the ****ed" or
    "The Lost and the ****ed" or
    "Legion of the ****ed" etc
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • tinidiablotinidiablo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 324
    edited October 2015
    Matty CA wrote: »
    [...]The Slayer King has beaten Ogre mercenary Golfgang Maneater [...]

Could this namedrop be a hint towards a unique mercenary "unit" that we'll see ingame? Would be totally rad if we got the opportunity to hire Golgcigarette for a certain number of turns for a suitable large sum of money... or snacks.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,900
    edited October 2015
    I wonder which bonus Ungrimm will bring instead f Thogrimm. Most defiantly a bonus for slayer of any kind, which considering how important slayers are for Dwarf armies, is a pretty good offer.

The character itself appears more damage base, but less tough as Thorgrimm.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,025
    edited October 2015
    Matty CA wrote: »
    Hello folks,

after we've mentioned Ungrim in yesterdays blog post, we wanted to give you the inside scoop on the Last of the Slayer Kings.

Enjoy,
    Matty

Cheers Matty. Ungrim sounds like a pretty sick guy.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if you could shed some light on something that's causing a bit of confusion in another thread, concerning how many units we'll be commanding on the battlefield at any one time.

Ian Roxburgh has said:
    In Attila you could choose to have two armies and thus 40 units to control at once. We’re going back to 20 again, because we felt like that was too much to control. It didn’t feel right. But again, you can waves of reinforcements coming in. In one of the quest battles you’ll see that the enemies will come in waves as well. You get a much better challenge. Even if you rout one army, there will be more coming in.

But then we've seen in Blackfire Pass many more units under the player's command - at least 30+... Are there special circumstances in the case of a quest battle or is this something the devs are still undecided on?
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,459
    edited October 2015
    Fredrin wrote: »
    But then we've seen in Blackfire Pass many more units under the player's command - at least 30+... Are there special circumstances in the case of a quest battle or is this something the devs are still undecided on?

They've said in other interviews that they might go back and forth on that, pre-release.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"

"Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

edited October 2015
    They've said in other interviews that they might go back and forth on that, pre-release.

Ah OK. Cheers, Izzy. So nothing set in stone at this stage.

I really hope they stick with the 40 unit "play with large army" option myself. Maybe the highly detailed map design is causing them to reconsider (ie having to design many different sized maps is too big an undertaking).
    edited October 2015
    Ah OK. Cheers, Izzy. So nothing set in stone at this stage.

I really hope they stick with the 40 unit "play with large army" option myself. Maybe the highly detailed map design is causing them to reconsider (ie having to design many different sized maps is too big an undertaking).
    I find 40-unit armies to be fairly unwieldy, myself. I look forward to 20-unit ones, if they decide to stick with them.

Team Elize von Carstein

• Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANRegistered Users Posts: 691
    edited October 2015
    Awesome !
    i'm translating this right now, but some parts are so hard :D
    what exactly does this mean ? ' Ungrim deals death – carving a path of red ruin before him '
    thanks before hand.

if i have problem i will update this post.
    Total War player until my last day!
  • walterbarrettwalterbarrett Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 209
    edited October 2015
    I love 20 unit army battles the best. Just a clean 20v20 without having to sort of manhandle a huge line of 40 units and not be able to mange it whatsoever. Bigger is not always better to me. I think the return to 20 is awesome.

The way reinforcements come in when units route though is super unrealistic. I don't know how you would change this, but it always felt ****** to me.
    edited October 2015
    The way reinforcements come in when units route though is super unrealistic. I don't know how you would change this, but it always felt ****** to me.

Totally! I really dislike the way you have to wait for a routing unit to "tag out" before a new one comes on. Just feels really silly to me, which is one reason why 40 units on the field at kick-off is way prefereable. That and the epic sense of scale that all those units lined up brings with it.

I agree, though, without adjustable battle speeds managing that number of units can be a severe headache.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,767
    edited October 2015
    Awesome !
    what exactly does this mean ? ' Ungrim deals death – carving a path of red ruin before him '
    thanks before hand.

"Ungrim kills a lot, creating a corridor of corpses and blood in front of him."
    `Sorta? Does that help? :)
    Don't worry.
    edited October 2015
    Awesome !
    thanks before hand.

Another way of saying it would be "Ungrim kills his enemies with ease - their blood is his signature." :)

Team Elize von Carstein

• krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,693
    edited October 2015
    Totally! I really dislike the way you have to wait for a routing unit to "tag out" before a new one comes on. Just feels really silly to me, which is one reason why 40 units on the field at kick-off is way prefereable. That and the epic sense of scale that all those units lined up brings with it.

I agree, though, without adjustable battle speeds managing that number of units can be a severe headache.

What I dislike about 40 unit battles, is that every single battle becomes a 40 unit battle. Maybe a way to meet in between would be to have reinforcement come in after a timer as run down, rather than at the beginning of the battle. A timer long enough to potentially finish most of a quick 20 vs 20 unit battle.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
    edited October 2015
    krunsh wrote: »
    What I dislike about 40 unit battles, is that every single battle becomes a 40 unit battle. Maybe a way to meet in between would be to have reinforcement come in after a timer as run down, rather than at the beginning of the battle. A timer long enough to potentially finish most of a quick 20 vs 20 unit battle.

I believe at the moment (in Attila, at least) you have the option of "play large army", though I guess that not selecting that just means you hand over control of one army to stoopid AI, so that's not much of an option.

Maybe there should be a third option where reinforcements are staggered in time intervals as you suggest.
  • Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANRegistered Users Posts: 691
    edited October 2015
    Setrus wrote: »
    "Ungrim kills a lot, creating a corridor of corpses and blood in front of him."
    `Sorta? Does that help? :)
    Another way of saying it would be "Ungrim kills his enemies with ease - their blood is his signature." :)

Both of explains are great and lucid. thanks very much. :)
    Total War player until my last day!
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,247
    edited October 2015
    I can see the high kings playstyle being very defensive with a shield wall, gunline and artillery, with the high king in support, while ungrim is the exact opposite, melee slowly advancing cutting anything down in front with many slayers abound, while with the necessary ranged and support units to make a dwarf army work.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,851
    edited January 2016
    Orkfaeller wrote: »
    Please, who ever runs this site, please, sort out the terrible swear filter. Its only censoring completely harmless words and does nothing against actual **** posting ( < see? ).

Absolutely. Some exceptions for composite terms should be introduced, at the very least.

I can't write Shàggoth without being censored, ****.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,381
    edited January 2016
    Orkfaeller wrote: »
    I'm sorry, is that a typo or did you seriously rename G-O-L-G-F-A-G Maneater because his name ends with fàg?!
    Edit: I can't even link to his page on the official Games-Workshop site, his black library novel or his WarhammerWiki entry because of the word filter on this site.

>http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Golg***-Maneater&lt;
    >http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer/golg***s-revenge-ebook.html&lt;
    >http://warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Golg***'s_Ogres&lt;

- Man, I can't wait when Skaven get their release and no ones able to write Bone'ripper cause it has
    b-o-n-e-r in it.

Afraid it is not something in which much can be done. The filter is just an algorithm. Making it able to understand context is more complicated than it is worth.

Send me a PM and I'll try to help a little to help on context situations.

dge1
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Person012345Person012345 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 642
    edited October 2015
    I love 20 unit army battles the best. Just a clean 20v20 without having to sort of manhandle a huge line of 40 units and not be able to mange it whatsoever. Bigger is not always better to me. I think the return to 20 is awesome.

It should be a checkbox option, either control large army or have the army come in piecemeal. Or maybe an option prior to starting a campaign (so it can prevent the AI from doing it).
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,575
    edited October 2015
    Hopefully CA can find something between 20 and 40 for a new regular amount of units. Personally 20 units seem relatively easy to control and sometimes does look a bit small on the battlefield. However 40 units for me in any close battles is usually a bit more than I can easily control. Doing some testing in custom battles I find ideal for me is about 30 units however I'm fairly used to micro and play alot of such games so maybe to ease new players CA should set army limit at 25... so that also in the future we can get 50 per side in co-op multi battles which would be simply awesome.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • BrightestLightBrightestLight Registered Users Posts: 549
    edited December 2016
  • GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    Dang.

I saw an official CA post about Ungrim on the main forum and for a second though it was a post about them giving him there own start location.

...But apparently someone dug up his post from one year ago...
  • PhiloslothicalPhiloslothical Registered Users Posts: 859
    Necromancers, stahp !
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • FlyingWarPigWithPawsFlyingWarPigWithPaws Registered Users Posts: 838
    Gaussia said:

Dang.

I saw an official CA post about Ungrim on the main forum and for a second though it was a post about them giving him there own start location.

...But apparently someone dug up his post from one year ago...

If someone from CA reads this: Ungrim needs to start in Karak Kadrin !!! More diversity without having to invest much effort. Same goes for adding Middenland.
    #TzeentchLivesMatter

This discussion has been closed.