Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sincere question to CA Developers

mrose1506mrose1506 MemberPosts: 38Registered Users
edited December 2015 in Community Mods
I'm trying to pick some mods but I want to know why the devs chose to balance things the way they did so I know what the point of the mechanism is for instance:
Ai will colonize the burned WORLD! And occupy more! mod. Makes sure the civs try to colonize the regions.
Why did you decide to not make the game that way?
Proper Marriage mod that makes marriages more impactful
Don't lie to me game: Relevent Attribute displays mod. Shows the attributes that are typically relevant to the unit class: Bonuses, Missile Block Chance, and occasionally range.

Those are just a few, can you please enlighten us why these mods didn't fit the grand vision you had for the game?
Post edited by mrose1506 on

Comments

• astrospudastrospud Junior Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    I would argue that CA created the TW series with modders in mind, so there really isn't need to, as you've inadvertently pointed out.
    With the huge array of mods available, you can tailor the game the way you want. I personally run some great graphical mods, Like Spartan Sky, better animal skins and natural water, as well as unit balance mods like Radious. I have discovered that Radious Total War mod and/or Unit balance mod adjusts the starting account balances in The Last Roman campaigns, allowing for at the very least a fighting chance of getting the Franks ahead.

I have no problem with the product CA have released, because I know I can mod it to something more my liking, or revert to vanilla for a different challenge.
    The whole approach to modding your game is seamless if you do it through Steam. Just subscribe and you're away. No harm, no fowl. There isn't a reason why you shouldn't mod the game, if the features are available through those means.
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 7,340Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    I hope CA looks at the most popular mods and adjusts their games accordingly. They should IMO. In fact, I'm almost certain they do as some modders whine about CA "stealing" their ideas!

Good! They should take that as a complement really ....

As much as I like TW Attila I use about twenty of other's mods and have five of my own (actually two are other's mods that I changed for my personal use) to get the play I want. While there really are some talented modders out there I would much prefer to be happy with a vanilla TW game.

I'm hoping AoC adds yet more refinements to the series; ideally making me content with the vanilla content and not desire mods to "fix" anything.

hmmmm ...
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/content
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • SebideeSebidee Senior Member Posts: 3,800Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    You are looking at things from your point of view and are wondering why things aren't made perfectly to your tastes. CA aren't making games for you personally they make games that appeal to the widest audience possible and naturally that will mean that people are left out.

Why not the colonisation mod? Because a lot of more casual players (nothing wrong with casuals) like to see widespread destruction. Why not the marriage mod? Because it makes the game more complicated which casual players don't like. Why not show all of the unit stats? Again, it makes the game too complicated and difficult to understand.

Like it or not CA will make the game with a more casual mindset because they are the vast majority of the player base and at the end of the day the day they pay the same amount of money as a hardcore player. You probably have hundreds of hours in Attila, I have a couple of hundred myself, but did you know that on average a total war game is played for less than 50 hours? That's casuals and their money has the same value as yours.

If you look at the most popular mods for Total War they tend to either A) make the game more complicated and B) make the game more historical. Complexity and strict historical accuracy isn't a good thing for most players and in fact would turn many away. You may look at a mod and see that it has thousands of users but if you compare that to the hundreds of thousands of people who are not using it then you'll see that it's not the majority choice.

Mods are great because they allow you to customise your game and turn it into the perfect game for your tastes. You can make the game as historical or complex as you want, and that's great for hardcore players. Hardcore players are also the ones who are most likely to use mods, to understand how they work and to know where to find them, casuals aren't bothered. Incidentally casual players aren't bothered with forums either so you never really hear about their point of view.

To to sum it up: The vanilla game is designed for casual players and most casual players love it. Hardcore players may think the game is too simple but they can use mods and they tend to have the know how to find them easily.

It's a win win situation where both casual and hardcore players can be happy.
  • mrose1506mrose1506 Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    I appreciate you guys for your input. I have an idea. I hate the fact like astrospud said, that they make the game with modders in mind. I am not good at modding, don't have the attention span or the free time to mod so the mods I would like aren't made. I wish CA would have a modding division that we could ask them to make a mod and depending on the size they could charge us for it.

Faction specific unit overhaul $5
    traits and abilities overhauls $10.
    complete game overhauls $20. (mind you these are tailor made individual overhauls for one persons taste Radious's mod might be free but I might not like all of the changes.) Then upload it to the workshop just for me to download. Others can see the mod but would have to pay ca to download it. Boom, another way for ca to make a buck and me to get my perfect game
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,038Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    AI will Occupy the World has currently about 8000 subscribers. TWA sold more than half a million units. It would be pretty bad to force a change on customers when not even half of them have shown any interest for it.

• HadrianLPHadrianLP Junior Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    Dalton: Has AI Occupy the World overcome some of the glitches mentioned a while back in the comments? I remember seeing something about AI stacks surrounding a burned-out settlement without colonizing it.

-H
    Emperor of Rome 117-138 AD
    or Total War Addict, circa 2018

Check out my channel! | Visit hadrian.watch
    • No-nonsense Let's Play for thinking gamers.
    • Daily, multi-genre videos in HD.
    • At least two series running at all times.
    /r/HadrianLP | Steam Community | Facebook | Twitter
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,038Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    Sorry, can't give you any info on that since I use my own mod to influence occupation decisions.

• astrospudastrospud Junior Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited December 2015
    mrose1506 wrote: »
    I appreciate you guys for your input. I have an idea. I hate the fact like astrospud said, that they make the game with modders in mind. I am not good at modding, don't have the attention span or the free time to mod so the mods I would like aren't made. I wish CA would have a modding division that we could ask them to make a mod and depending on the size they could charge us for it.

Faction specific unit overhaul $5
    traits and abilities overhauls $10.
    complete game overhauls $20. (mind you these are tailor made individual overhauls for one persons taste Radious's mod might be free but I might not like all of the changes.) Then upload it to the workshop just for me to download. Others can see the mod but would have to pay ca to download it. Boom, another way for ca to make a buck and me to get my perfect game

And reap the wrath of the whiners who don't want to have to pay for DLC? They (CA) already cop way too much stick for paid DLC, simply from "fans" who are clearly under the influence of gamer entitlement syndrome.
    Look, I see where you are coming from mrose, but Sebidee is correct, for the most part.
    The are trying to appeal to the widest player base possible, and leaving open the door to the creative types to mod the game to the way they (the community) wants.
    It should be know that the modder community is the player community, and much discussion about the needs of the player base gets directly channeled into the mods themselves. It's like having a focus group tweaking a game in the direction of consensus.

If you haven't already done so, check out TWC - Total War Centre. There's bound to be mods that fit your requirements. It's just a small investment in time and bandwidth.