Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Next Step for Assembly Kit Needs to be Taken Now CA

Doomon15Doomon15 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 40
edited November 2016 in Assembly Kit
You fixed the custom model support and that was really good for us and esp several specific projects, you've done one thing well but now it has been a tremendous amount of time since an update or any technical help at all. This brings me to say the next course of action needs to concentrate several vital points, Several problems in TEd and one other critical problem that would benefit a lot of great projects going on.

TEd

Vitally is in need of updates for many problems in need of fixing:

***Critical Issues by priority***

-Walls have a problem as well not letting troops on when trying to siege walls or climb them, or off the walls when even deployed onto them. (This is very critical as it dictates weather it'd even be a good idea to incorporate maps to campaign as AI dose not popularly use catapults and it also allows for proper working sieges even in custom battles)

-We need to know how to make coastal battles/ port assaults, or make them possible cause 3 battle options right now are land, naval and siege. And also naval maps are broken and will result in ships bieng never allowed to move. (Very important as well, fixing these will also help campaign functionality)

-Sometimes height mapping gets real screwed up when processing maps and testing in game then causes floating cities or underwater maps. ( Quite critical as sometimes its hard to fix this and at times wont even fix itself making it ruin maps almost completely)

Other issues

-Outer tiles need to be fixed / blended more properly, which maybe relates to the Terry topic point that needs fixing.

-Maps wont load when using Charlemagne factions in CB due to the instant reversion back to Vanilla factions once a custom maps selected.

Terry:

Terry is a also another vital program for several great projects and for modders in general and is still broken. This tool would do good for custom campaigns which would benefit several projects I've seen, but is at lower priority as alternatives are available for these groups now map integration wise. But none the less the tool is still broken and it would be nice to use the tool for its desired purpose it was suppose to be for all along.

If anyone else wants to list more your more then welcome too these are just some problems I know of in 2 programs 1 I'm concentrated in too, maybe theirs even more CA should be considering to look at so list problems with them and join in if u like and ill maybe even expand to a larger list so they can see what were all experiencing and want sooner rather then another half a year later.

"Burn the heretic,
kill the mutant,
Purge the unclean"

-WH40k
Post edited by Doomon15 on

Comments

• Mr_JMr_J Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 198
    I support that
  • epic_159750290354zas2GHfepic_159750290354zas2GHf Senior Member Netherlands, Friesland, LeeuwardenRegistered Users Posts: 7,128
    Doomon15 said:

TEd

vitally is in need of updates for many problems in need of fixing:

-Siege Nodes CTD when placed on any map once you start a battle and after you press start battle on the battlefield. This is vital for AI to work properly during siege maps. (if you wanted us to have awesome sieges so bad why didn't you even make sure this critical feature works, so plz fix it).
    Nearly forgot about this. A fix for this would be nice.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • Vikus van de MerweVikus van de Merwe Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    I support that, too!
  • ABH2ABH2 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    I don't want to come off as critical of CA. I would imagine these tools are expensive and difficult to provide/support. At the same time, they are pretty essential to modders of overhaul projects of which Attila has many. Our project, Ancient Empires, really won't ever reach its full potential or be a proper Rome II style mod for Attila without these fixes. Terry is especially critical, but the inability to script the BAI as promised is also a massive issue to make functional siege maps.

I would just have to stress how critical I think the mods being made for Attila are and how they will prolong the lifespan and time people play it. Rise of Mordor, Warman's Medieval Kingdoms, Ancient Empires - these are big projects with a lot of fan anticipation involved. They all require these tools.
  • Thee_DugsterThee_Dugster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    I support this. Most of CA's games have been kept alive by modding, so if they fix this tool, then they will get money back because people in 5 years will buy Attila because of the mods. It is just common sense, if it is possible.
    He tasks me, he tasks me and I shall have him. From Hell’s heart I stab at thee!”
  • DuckyDuck[NL]DuckyDuck[NL] Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,114
    edited December 2015
    I don't understand why release mod-tools that is bugged and then dont try to fix it!.

PLEASE CA fix your tools so we can do some awesome things with it, Because the mods are why people buy your games they dont like but want to play the mods it's support.

I even buyed TW Atilla for Ancient Empires (AE) and Medieval Kingdoms Total War (MKTW) while i not even touched Atilla so CA please show your support to the mods and not say you love the modding community but dont do your damnest to support it to your fullest potential... Makes no senses.

So please patch your tools too.
  • PetelliusPetellius Senior Member Lancaster UKRegistered Users Posts: 180
    I have experienced the frustrations from these things first hand. As ABH thankyou CA for making them but they really need fixing. Had I know that Terry wouldnt even work and that putting maps together never mind on the campaign map was nearly impossible, I would have argued that Ancient Empires should not have used Attila's engine as without Rome 2 era cities it is almost impossible to get the right atmosphere when playing battles and would ruin our player's immersion. Please please please fix the tools! :)

Danke.
    Petellius
    Battle Balancing and BAI for Ancient Empires, a Rome 2 and Attila overhaul.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2095-Antiqua-Imperium-(AI)

My youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_fJ0qji1DnEC9FFIWr22Q
  • WalrusJonesWalrusJones Member Registered Users Posts: 84
    One note I have found: Groupformations.bin is compiled in a VEERY odd way by bob.

It seems to be able to recognize existing unit classes being put into existing formation nodes, but it doesn't recognize the registering of new nodes, the moving of old nodes, or the setting of certain formations as culturally exclusive.
  • Tja22MasterTja22Master Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    I remember the first time i loaded upp terry, eager to explore the "most moddable warscape game ever", as Shogun II still didn't allow battle map changes. I remember the big dissapointment when it crashed, over and over again. And how it continued despite downloading everything (including big ak extension for maps) over and over.

You obviously had the tools working at the mod summit, so why not now? It could still turn attila into one of the most modded games. You've taken an important step by including these in the first hand, now finish that step (/linke, bros account from an old email)
  • morfeasnikosmorfeasnikos Member Registered Users Posts: 59
    I will support it to ...
    -But i will stay to the paradox why release something that its bugged .
    Dont release it in the first place ...Fix it and release later .
    -But in the other hand we thank you CA even for giving us tools to have fun with modding.
    fshlnww6oefr.png
  • DencoDenco Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 223
    I approve of this post.
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WindForce 3X OC
    I7 2600K 4.5 GHz
    Maximus IV gene-z
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64b
  • PolemaiosPolemaios Registered Users Posts: 1
    I support this.
  • sertoriosertorio Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 22
    I support that, too! B)
    factionsig.png
  • Shaggy_711Shaggy_711 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Registered an account just to show my support for this post! I've been playing the Total War series for 15 years now, I absolutely love these games. While there is valid criticism to be made of the warscape engine and, in some ways, the regression of the series, I try not to be critical of CA and instead just be thankful that we still get new Total War games! However during these 15 years I have seen absolutely wonderful mods that people have poured hundreds of hours of their own time into, just to do their part to enhance a game that they love. These mods are absolutely vital to the series, the modders need these tools.
  • Imperator_RomanorumImperator_Romanorum Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    I support this!
  • CraigCACraigCA Creative Assembly CA's DungeonModerators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,135
    Thanks for the info Doomon15.

Could we get some more info on the following please?
    -Siege Nodes CTD when placed on any map once you start a battle and after you press start battle on the battlefield. This is vital for AI to work properly during siege maps. (This is a CRITICAL feature that may help other problems, so plz fix this)
    Can you send us an example Ted file containing a map that is crashing. This'd help us to debug and see what's causing the crash.
    -Walls have a problem as well not letting troops on trying to siege or off them when even deployed onto them.
    Please send us a screenshot of your setup as well as an example file from ted. Note that you need to make sure you have a battlefield zone under the walls and that there are walls with stairs. If this all looks setup correctly to you then the 2 requested files will help us debug this.
    -Sometimes height mapping gets real screwed up when processing maps and testing in game then causes floating cities or underwater maps. ( quite critical as sometimes its hard to fix this and at times wont even fix itself making it ruin maps almost completely)
    This is going to be hard for us to look into without a way to reliably reproduce this. Do you have any specific ways to reliably reproduce this quickly, or an example file that you believe should work but breaks when you process? Preferably both!
    -We need to know how to make coastal battles/ port assaults, or make them possible cause 3 battle options right now are land, naval and siege.
    This should be possible already. Coastal battles are 'land' and port assaults are 'siege'. The easiest option is to take an existing map and modify it as these will already have all the logic setup. Have you tried this?
    -Outer tiles need to be fixed / blended more properly, which maybe relates to the next topic point that needs fixing.
    We need more specific information about the exact problem in order to look into this one.
    Terry
    We'll have a look into this one. Thanks for the heads up.

Senior Designer on Total War

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • SamM_CASamM_CA Member Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 160
    edited January 2016
    With the help of Causeless (thanks!) I've got a work around fix for the Terry crashing issue until we can fix it properly.

If you go on to steam and find the Assembly Kit in the tools page - right click, got to properties, betas. Under the beta dropdown you should find a "tempterryfix" beta. Enable this and your assembly kit will download an update. This version fixes the instant crash.

Some notes:
    • You NEED the Terrain Pack DLC which you download from the DLC tab in the properties panel (it's big) to be able to open the campaign map.
    • There seems to be an issue where the tool relies of the campaign map always being called main_attila_map.terry. You will need to create a copy of the map for back up - and any map you are working on will have to be saved as main_attila_map.terry for it to load back in correctly.
    • The downside of this beta is that it has an older version of Ted and BoB and is missing some of the bug fixes we did in hotfixes last year - if you are working on stuff other than Terry, stick with the default version.
    I have only given this a cursory test - there may be more issues - but I thought it would be good for people to have a play around with it until we have the proper fix.

Thanks for your patience all.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • epic_159750290354zas2GHfepic_159750290354zas2GHf Senior Member Netherlands, Friesland, LeeuwardenRegistered Users Posts: 7,128
    edited January 2016
    I've found a bug as well. Whenever I use blend maps in Ted, somehow it only shows the default terrain texture (grass 0) regardless of any new overlays I painted. Whatever material I put in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th slot, it won't show the visual change in the view port. It'll look like grass 0 instead.

In-game, the alternative terrain material does appear, so it's only a visual bug in Ted. In Ted the outlines of the paint brushing are faintly visible. I had to increase the contrast.

Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
    edited January 2016
    Hello, CA!
    Thanks you here and trying to help modders.
    I also will attach some bugs noticed by me:
    1.) Building files are missing max script(or dll file? plugin?) for proper convertion in BOB:

2.) Show Skeleton in Tweak->Variation Editor doesn't work.
    3.) Animations don't appear if you load definition file in.

Can we also expect to see some more tutorials, at least following:
    1.) How to properly add animation for walls, gates, gatehouses, and arrowtowers.
    2.) How to add custom walls, gates, gatehouses, arrowtowers in game to make them work propely.
    3.) How to add custom skeleton ingame.
    4.) How to add custom animation ingame.
    5.) Is there any way to use boat 'sail' technique for creating dynamic flags and cloaks? (because weight long cloaks to foots is a real mess ingame)
  • Doomon15Doomon15 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 40
    edited January 2016
    GrudgeNL said:

I've found a bug as well. Whenever I use blend maps in Ted, somehow it only shows the default terrain texture (grass 0) regardless of any new overlays I painted. Whatever material I put in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th slot, it won't show the visual change in the view port. It'll look like grass 0 instead.

In-game, the alternative terrain material does appear, so it's only a visual bug in Ted. In Ted the outlines of the paint brushing are faintly visible. I had to increase the contrast.

that problems been around for awhile actually and I always used a workaround for it that's very simple which is why it wasn't too much a prob for me, basically what you do is just select the setting selector on the bottom and take it off of default to desired texture setting, then back to default, then back to the desired setting. whenever it messes up just rince and repeat.

"Burn the heretic,
    kill the mutant,
    Purge the unclean"

-WH40k
    edited January 2016
    CraigK CA said:

-Siege Nodes CTD when placed on any map once you start a battle and after you press start battle on the battlefield. This is vital for AI to work properly during siege maps. (This is a CRITICAL feature that may help other problems, so plz fix this)
    Can you send us an example Ted file containing a map that is crashing. This'd help us to debug and see what's causing the crash.
    -Walls have a problem as well not letting troops on trying to siege or off them when even deployed onto them.
    Please send us a screenshot of your setup as well as an example file from ted. Note that you need to make sure you have a battlefield zone under the walls and that there are walls with stairs. If this all looks setup correctly to you then the 2 requested files will help us debug this.
    -Sometimes height mapping gets real screwed up when processing maps and testing in game then causes floating cities or underwater maps. ( quite critical as sometimes its hard to fix this and at times wont even fix itself making it ruin maps almost completely)
    This is going to be hard for us to look into without a way to reliably reproduce this. Do you have any specific ways to reliably reproduce this quickly, or an example file that you believe should work but breaks when you process? Preferably both!
    -We need to know how to make coastal battles/ port assaults, or make them possible cause 3 battle options right now are land, naval and siege.
    This should be possible already. Coastal battles are 'land' and port assaults are 'siege'. The easiest option is to take an existing map and modify it as these will already have all the logic setup. Have you tried this?
    -Outer tiles need to be fixed / blended more properly, which maybe relates to the next topic point that needs fixing.
    We need more specific information about the exact problem in order to look into this one.
    Terry

Ive assembled actually a video of TEds problems for you guys to use that gives all the above examples and more

This is the TEd files that are needed for examples to help out fix some problems listed:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6e6cqh6up85rcn8/TEd+Files.rar

"Burn the heretic,
    kill the mutant,
    Purge the unclean"

-WH40k
  • PetelliusPetellius Senior Member Lancaster UKRegistered Users Posts: 180
    Despite the floating, that Carthage map looks like exactly what I wanted for AE, thank you doomy! Hopefully it can be fixed soon and I can start throwing Romans at those walls like there is no tomorrow! xD
    Petellius
    Battle Balancing and BAI for Ancient Empires, a Rome 2 and Attila overhaul.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2095-Antiqua-Imperium-(AI)

My youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_fJ0qji1DnEC9FFIWr22Q
  • FanestFanest Member Registered Users Posts: 65
    CA please fix these tools, also look into unit formations bugs (attacking testudo, defensive testudo)
    Doomon15 said:

CraigK CA said:

Terry

Ive assembled actually a video of TEds problems for you guys to use that gives all the above examples and more

This is the TEd files that are needed for examples to help out fix some problems listed:

Thanks very much for the info.

The files you have sent us are .pack files - any chance you could upload the raw data files for us to take a look at. These are the files generated when you save a tile to the tile database.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    SamM CA said:

Doomon15 said:

CraigK CA said:

Terry

Thanks very much for the info.

The files you have sent us are .pack files - any chance you could upload the raw data files for us to take a look at. These are the files generated when you save a tile to the tile database.

Ok ive assembled files I think are associated with my maps from raw data folder and also working data folder so you guys can take a look at them, idk if I got the right ones but hopefully I did so here ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tqmzhbbtdusmyh7/TEd_AK_RAW+Files.rar

"Burn the heretic,
    kill the mutant,
    Purge the unclean"

-WH40k
    Thanks very much Doomon15.

We are going to take a look through the files and see what we can do.

Looking at a fix for the Terry crashing issue at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to push a fix live this week.
    SamM CA said:

Thanks very much Doomon15.

We are going to take a look through the files and see what we can do.

Looking at a fix for the Terry crashing issue at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to push a fix live this week.

Is there a way to make assemly kit tools available to convert our custom building animations for walls, gates, for example?
  • warmanwarman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 50
    Thanks for the effort guys. Got a thing to report that needs fixing. In the naval folder I think there's a rules.bob file missing. As a result we can't really do too much in terms of new ships. So maybe add that when you can.
  • mrtspencemrtspence Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    Seeing you guys supporting the mod community is extremely encouraging. I will definitely be purchasing Attila once some of the awesome mods I'm following can achieve their visions in a more tangible manner. Continued improvements on the mod tools are exactly what is needed. Thank you VERY much for listening!
  • WalrusJonesWalrusJones Member Registered Users Posts: 84
    edited January 2016
    My groupformations.bin is attached to the post, and its respective XML. (Complied with BoB.)

The listed effects using it has on my game:

Inf_mel_bnscav UI class sorts properly into blocks, as a clone to inf_mel.

The effects it doesn't have on the game that it should:

My block positioning doesn't change the unit positioning in formations, such as me moving the skirmishers in Triple Acies closer to the flanks, and pushing the cavalry back.

The deletion of blocks, or the addition of them doesn't change formations.