Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Differentiating the Goths

Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior MemberPosts: 21,287Registered Users
edited December 2015 in Community Mods
So I was working on changing the Goths up a bit to play more differently from each other and the other Germanic factions. Currently I have altered the rosters of both factions in campaign and custom battle to be as follows:

Ostrogoths

My intention with this faction is to make them more "romanised", that is that they have an emphasis on heavy, tanky infantry. To make them different from the rest of the germanic factions I also decided to give them units from their Ostrogothic Kingdom incarnation.

General options : unchanged

Spear Infantry: Germanic Levy, Spear Milites Comitatenses, Spear Veterans

Pike Infantry: Gothic Levy, Gothic Pikemen, Elite Ostrogothic Pikemen

Melee Infantry: Gothic Warband, Protectores Defectors, Gothic Palatina Defectors, Veterans

Axe Infantry: Iuvenes

Archers: Germanic Bows, Gothic Archers

Crossbows: Germanic Crossbowmen

Slingers: Germanic Hurlers

Skirmishers: Germanic Brigands

Melee Cavalry: Germanic Mounted Warband, Germanic Horsemen

Shock Cavalry: Germanic Lancers, Gothic Lancers

Artillery: unchanged

Visigoths

For the Visigoths I decided that their faction strength should lie in cavalry and skirmishers. I gave them some of the Ostrogothic Kingdom units as well just so they're different from the other Germanic factions in that regard.

General options: unchanged

Spear Infantry: Germanic Levy, Spear Milites Comitatenses

Pike Infantry: Gothic Levy, Gothic Pikemen

Melee Infantry: Gothic Falxmen, Thracian Warriors, Thracian Oathsworn, Gothic Warband

Axe Infantry: Iuvenes

Archers: Germanic Bows, Gothic Archers

Crossbows: Germanic Crossbowmen

Slingers: Germanic Hurlers, Visigothic Slingers

Skirmishers: Germanic Brigands

Melee Cavalry: Germanic Mounted Warband, Germanic Horsemen, Noble Germanic Horsemen, Taifali Cavalry

Shock Cavalry: Germanic Lancers, Gothic Lancers, Noble Gothic Lancers

Missile Cavalry: Germanic Mounted Brigands, Germanic Raiders, Germanic Night Raiders, Gardingi Cavalry

Artillery: unchanged

Before I publish this mod, I would like your opinions on the roster changes as well as suggestions for further changes. I can think of giving the Visigoths some more skirmisher infantry, but I can't think of anything right now that would fit.