Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How will they balance chaos dragons

rgfezrefrgfezref Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 234
So chaos dragons are a confirmed mount for lords, and lore wise these things are absolute murder machines on the battlefield. The only thing that seems to have any chance of stopping one is a very powerful individual or another dragon. Now my question is how are they going to give that aspect to the chaos dragon without being completely overpowered. It also said in the roster description that an alliance with a chaos dragon is always temporary, I seriously hope that the chaos dragon isnt something that can be active for only a few turns before have to "recharge" or something like that.
What are your thoughts on this? I mean it would be ridiculous if they can get shot down by a lone archer unit or cut to bits by a single group of slayers.
Tagged:

Comments

• SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    I doubt that the "temporarily alliances" sentence alludes to anything gameplay related.

As for balance:
    the lores say many things about the power of mounts/units/heroes (especially in the armybook of that race), which already don't hold up in the TT.

I'm pretty confident that heavy arty, strong characters with own mounts, magic or a combination of all of that will bring down those chaos dragons.

Also I don't think we will see them too often, since they most certainly at the end of the skill tree.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • AjiTaeAjiTae Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 78
    I think they're mostly basing it on the TT so i expect them to be about as strong as other dragons. And therefore they should be possible to take down with magic, ranged units and other monsters or heroes/lords, much like in the TT.
    So powerful yes but not OP. I'm more worried about the balancing of Kholek for instance, especially in early game.
  • rgfezrefrgfezref Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 234
    AjiTae said:

I think they're mostly basing it on the TT so i expect them to be about as strong as other dragons. And therefore they should be possible to take down with magic, ranged units and other monsters or heroes/lords, much like in the TT.
    So powerful yes but not OP. I'm more worried about the balancing of Kholek for instance, especially in early game.

Thats true, speaking of kholek does anyone have any idea what his legendary items might be? I mean this guy has been alive for centuries and from what I read he has had his equipment for a very long time.
  • Indypride#7329Indypride#7329 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,744
    AjiTae said:

I'm really pumped to see what Kholek Suneater can do. He looks so cool :smiley:
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,622
    edited December 2015
    Cannons.

At least thats how its works in the table top game.
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.

AjiTae said:

Thats true, speaking of kholek does anyone have any idea what his legendary items might be? I mean this guy has been alive for centuries and from what I read he has had his equipment for a very long time.
    I think it is fair to say that CA ignores the aspect of what characters logical should have and simply base they decision on game design. Thorgrim for example also rules for centuries and yet has first to find his items.

Kholek item is probably:
    Starcrusher, the powerful hammer he uses.

it is his only Item in the TT.
    So I assume they will also let you unlock "legendary" skills like "Lord of the Storm".
  • FrogerFroger Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 174

Cannons.

Yep... the gods gave us artillery and wether or not it may be lorewise correct, a dozen volleys of for example the good old organgun will make short work of pretty much any creature, otherwise this would make this stuff just absolutely unbalanced. And by the way, a chaos dragon might also cost a lot (of whatever chaos will use as currency as I'm lacking a better word for it).
    "Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war." - William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    To be fair, in the lore presenting anything but goblins and snotlings (and even then, there's exceptions) they're really powerful...
    A wyvern with a strong orc lord, a bunch of cannons or even a terrorgheist ought to keep it pinned or even kill it. :)
    Don't worry.
  • ZalgoZalgo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 244

So chaos dragons are a confirmed mount for lords, and lore wise these things are absolute murder machines on the battlefield. The only thing that seems to have any chance of stopping one is a very powerful individual or another dragon. Now my question is how are they going to give that aspect to the chaos dragon without being completely overpowered. It also said in the roster description that an alliance with a chaos dragon is always temporary, I seriously hope that the chaos dragon isnt something that can be active for only a few turns before have to "recharge" or something like that.
    What are your thoughts on this? I mean it would be ridiculous if they can get shot down by a lone archer unit or cut to bits by a single group of slayers.

I'm hoping for the imperial dragon ^-^. Chaos lord on a chaos dragon vs Karl on the imperial dragon. O.O
    Well the Dragon isn't in the Empire roster, so for now it is a "no".
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797
    edited December 2015
    Froger said:

Cannons.

Yep... the gods gave us artillery and wether or not it may be lorewise correct, a dozen volleys of for example the good old organgun will make short work of pretty much any creature, otherwise this would make this stuff just absolutely unbalanced. And by the way, a chaos dragon might also cost a lot (of whatever chaos will use as currency as I'm lacking a better word for it).
    I dunno, I believe more than 12 shots from an organ gun will be required to take down a dragon in TW Warhammer. You're saying one battery shot of 12 guns will take out the most powerful creatures/LL? Doubtful lol
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member United StatesRegistered Users Posts: 3,549
    My guess is legendary flying mounts (Deathclaw) will be a strong answer to any other flying threat.
  • Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
    Well a star dragon is better ^^
  • octavian1127octavian1127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,278
    WoC has Kholek Suneater, and you're worried about the balance of dragons.....
    |Sith|Octavian
    SiWi said:

Well the Dragon isn't in the Empire roster, so for now it is a "no".

Yes I know, I'm hoping it's dlc or flc. Maybe a special "mounts" pack?
    Tbh, Imperial Dragon is at best a very late addition to the game. Karl already has a unique mount. I am very curious as to the quest chain involved in getting a Zombie Dragon though, since lore-wise it involves a journey to the dragon graveyard.
    |Sith|Octavian
  • Aztek171#2277Aztek171#2277 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,240
    Yeah in my opinion Karl really doesn't need the Imperial dragon. Deathclaw is awesome and unique.
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member United StatesRegistered Users Posts: 3,549
    edited December 2015
    Aztek said:

Yeah in my opinion Karl really doesn't need the Imperial dragon. Deathclaw is awesome and unique.

Yuup. Deathclaw is the biggest reason I'm picking Karl Franz instead of Gelt or Azhag for my first campaign.

Griffons are awesome.

Aztek said:

Yuup. Deathclaw is the biggest reason I'm picking Karl Franz instead of Gelt or Azhag for my first campaign.

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
  • SevenpiferSevenpifer Junior Member CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 64
    HoneyBun said:

Zalgo said:

Dragons are better.

Quoted for truth
    Let me third that motion.

Besides, variety is the spice of life. The Imperial Dragon should be FLC/DLC.
  • capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,462
    Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    And undead dragons even better hehe :D
    h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • AngmirAngmir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,253

Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    Arent Greater Deamons of Khorne ultimate Mele Fighters ??
    Angmir said:

Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    The oldest dragons are equal in power to a Greater Daemon. Zombie and Chaos Dragons are potentially even more powerful depending on the 'source' dragon.
    |Sith|Octavian

Angmir said:

Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    The oldest dragons are equal in power to a Greater Daemon. Zombie and Chaos Dragons are potentially even more powerful depending on the 'source' dragon.
    Zombie Dragons arent more powerfull than their source.
    They are falling apart after all.
    Beeing Mindless doesnt help eighter
    But yeah they have their advantages too.
    edited December 2015
    Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    Heresy. Deathclaw will feast on your entrails!

Dragons are a dime-a-dozen.
  • KrilralKrilral Member Registered Users Posts: 910
    edited December 2015
    Man I've been playing too much Fallout 4 recently. I get this gleeful smile on every time I hear about Karl Franz being mounted on a Deathclaw B)

Also dragons will likely be very expensive in cost/upkeep. They have to eat after all(or so I assume), and a dragon is one biiiiiiiig critter. As for undead dragons, they will have a whole bunch of upkeep, because it takes some serious power just to keep them from falling apart.
    edited December 2015
    Angmir said:

Angmir said:

Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    In Warhammer they supposedly are. It's not like DnD style undead dragons. They are also re-animated using 'ambient' magic from the Plain of Bones, so shouldn't require magical input from their master but rather more of a force of will to keep them in check.
    |Sith|Octavian

Angmir said:

Angmir said:

Zalgo said:

Aztek said:

Griffons are awesome.
    Dragons are better.
    In Warhammer they supposedly are. It's not like DnD style undead dragons. They are also re-animated using 'ambient' magic from the Plain of Bones, so shouldn't require magical input from their master but rather more of a force of will to keep them in check.
    I was talking about Warhammer specificaly

It is stated in the Army Books - that they are basicly a midless constructs, loosing aall of their former glory and prowess. They are slugish (less I) dont have fighting skills (half of WS), and arent as tough as when they were alive (6W od Dragon 5W on Zombie Dragon 5+ Armour Save to 3+ Armour Save) But they do are surrounded by swarms of flies and rotting odor - giving -1 to hit for models atacking zombie dragon.

And they are cheaper in points too.
  • BabaloucheBabalouche Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    I'm not too worried about dragons. There's plenty of mechanics that you can use to keep them in check (artillery, legendary lords, other monsters, etc.) Also I'm pretty sure they will have a very high cost and upkeep to balance them a little bit.
    Ah, I'm not very familiar with FB stats. More of a 40k guy for TT. Lore always seemed to have them as stronger than their equivalent.
    |Sith|Octavian