Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Questions about campaign and future expansions

idkdude23idkdude23 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 9
First question

This may have been answered somewhere or may be completely obvious to others, but it's something I'm curious about. There is a huge emphasis on crafting a narrative with your chosen legendary lord, and to drive said narrative along, you complete specific objectives, and completing those objectives culminates in these epic, named battles like the Battle of Blackfire Pass. My question is this, do the opposing lords also try to complete these objectives, and can they reach a point where you are forced to participate in those battles because an opposing faction is completing their objectives? It's kind of an added threat or defense against(depending on how you look at it) from the AI. You could be struggling to stop the AI from advancing their story, and the named battle that you would be initiating, if you were playing as the opposing faction, is instead initiated by the AI, and would be like a nail in your coffin if you lose, or a turning point if you beat the odds and win. I think it would be interesting if it did work that way, but the AI probably would never get into a position to do that.

Somewhat related second question

With these stories being so important, I'm curious to see what happens when the rest of the map is opened up from future expansions. Does your story continue? If you have all 3 parts of the map open, and you start as the empire, does the rest of the world kind of just wait for you to get there so you can properly do your story? Or does every faction try to complete their objective regardless of whether or not you are anywhere near them? If so, would there be issues where certain factions just happen to get destroyed into essentially nothingness, thus making your objectives easier or harder? I can see it potentially supporting the idea of not being able to conquer everything, because if that was possible, the AI that's doing it's own thing far away from you could mess up the narrative that they are trying to create throughout the expansions by eliminating allies or enemies that are required for your particular story before you ever come across them.

Just two questions that I've been curious about since the news about legendary lords and about not being able conquer everything.
Tagged:

Comments

• TotalwarVetTotalwarVet Registered Users Posts: 271
    Also will the two other games just add to the map? Or as I fear will it be like Caesar in gaul? IE a small new area and nothing of the other games. I would like to know very much so.
  • idkdude23idkdude23 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9

Also will the two other games just add to the map? Or as I fear will it be like Caesar in gaul? IE a small new area and nothing of the other games. I would like to know very much so.

Well I'm fairly certain that they've said it will all be connected, but also be standalone if you choose not to buy one of the expansions. Meaning there could be a massive campaign, or 3 individual chunks.
  • TotalwarVetTotalwarVet Registered Users Posts: 271
    idkdude23 said:

Well I'm fairly certain that they've said it will all be connected, but also be standalone if you choose not to buy one of the expansions. Meaning there could be a massive campaign, or 3 individual chunks.
    well as long as you can make it one big Proper campaign with the whole map and not just pieces of it that would be great!
  • zzdjdegmzzdjdegm New York, United StatesRegistered Users Posts: 269

idkdude23 said:

well as long as you can make it one big Proper campaign with the whole map and not just pieces of it that would be great!
    well you can't occupy them so it is only gonna look fancy but nothing else
  • RAMPZYRAMPZY Junior Member BelgiumRegistered Users Posts: 219
    zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

You're just being negative for the fun of it.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Registered Users Posts: 1,767
    zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

Except they've stated that this method might only be occurring in the first title because it had to make sense for them to do it further down the road.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,083
    edited January 2016

CA has explained that when you buy multiple titles within the trilogy the maps combine together to a single campaign map.
    ò_ó
    R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
  • PlaidShirtsPlaidShirts Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 280
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
    Well, you would be, if they said that they were definitely going to keep it this way for the next two expansions, but as Son_of_Argus pointed out, they have said they will only continue it if it makes sense. That means it could go either way. I think they will open it up, but that is just my opinion. And it staying limited for the other two games is just your opinion too at this point.
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
    There is no reason to believe that a race that can occupy cities in game 1 won't be able to do so in game 2 and 3. There may be races in the later games that can occupy both holds and cities in game 1 (Skaven, for instance).

You are not stating a fact. You just don't know what you are talking about.
    ò_ó
    Warlocke said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
    There is no reason to believe that a race that can occupy cities in game 1 won't be able to do so in game 2 and 3. There may be races in the later games that can occupy both holds and cities in game 1 (Skaven, for instance).

Actually I know what I am talking about. If you can't occupy the map at release and then you could after an expansion, that is call an occupy the whole map DLC. I swear to god this is gonna be hilarious, it feels like CA is slapping its own face and particular yours as well LMAO
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member United StatesRegistered Users Posts: 3,549
    zzdjdegm said:

Warlocke said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

Actually I know what I am talking about. If you can't occupy the map at release and then you could after an expansion, that is call an occupy the whole map DLC. I swear to god this is gonna be hilarious, it feels like CA is slapping its own face and particular yours as well LMAO
    Except it will be a standalone game, so no. You're wrong.
    zzdjdegm said:

Warlocke said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

Yup. Don't know what you are talking about.
    ò_ó
    It's unfortunate that complete occupation of the map isn't possible, not because that's the way it's always been, I personally don't think they should have to stick to that particular rule, but instead because of the fact that there is a large group of people that want it to be a feature. I fully support their design direction, but at the same time, when so many people want a feature that isn't completely unreasonable, perhaps they should listen to that. Luckily, I think modding will be able to fix some, if not all, of the issues with occupying settlements. A lot of people see no mod support from CA as meaning no mods at all, and that's not entirely true, modders can still tinker with the game. If CA sticks to their guns on this issue, I'd suggest to everyone who doesn't like that to voice their opinion, perhaps in a more civil and calm way, wait for the game to come out, don't get it right away, see what CA does, see what modders can do, and make a decision at that point as to whether or not they should buy the game.
    edited January 2016
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
    Stating fact? Please show me where it is stated that every game will be like that?

Oh wait you can't because there is no such thing, dev's even said that might change in the future games.

So as i said, stop being negative for the fun of it.
    R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact
    Stating fact? Please show me where it is stated that every game will be like that?

Oh wait you can't because there is no such thing, dev's even said that might change in the future games.

yeah you sound like you would like to conquer the whole map as well eh? I don't see what are you trying to defend here. Get to the point, you like it or not?
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

yeah you sound like you would like to conquer the whole map as well eh? I don't see what are you trying to defend here. Get to the point, you like it or not?
    I conquered the whole map on Rome, Empire, Shogun 2 and Rome 2. But no i dont really like it.

Still not seeing any of your so called facts.
    R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

I conquered the whole map on Rome, Empire, Shogun 2 and Rome 2. But no i dont really like it.

you wanna know the fact? The fact is now you can't occupy the settlements that we were expected to just like any previous total war games. You know what, I feel like I am talking to wall. I am trying to say one thing and you are trying to say something else. Have it your way, I don't wanna argue with you, is absolutely pointless
    edited January 2016
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

you wanna know the fact? The fact is now you can't occupy the settlements that we were expected to just like any previous total war games. You know what, I feel like I am talking to wall. I am trying to say one thing and you are trying to say something else. Have it your way, I don't wanna argue with you, is absolutely pointless
    I meant the fact where you know every game would have the exact same mechanics.

And you didnt know what to expect from this game, so feeling entitled to something doesnt mean it will be in the game. This isn't another historical title where it makes sense to occupy everyone because at one point in time it was very likely. Thats not how it is in Warhammer.
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

We don't know that for sure, they said the new occupation system won't necessarily be used in all three games, and even if it was there are regions the old world races should be able to take. For example Dwarfs and Greenskins could take Choas Dwarf holds, Vampires and Humans could take Tomb King cities, and so on.
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    idkdude23 said:

First question

I don't think the Ai will get to do quest battles, I think that might be asking a bit much of it and my guess is CA will take the shortcut of developing their Legendary Lord so they can unlock their items without having to do the quest. Basically they level up and get the item immediately. :)

Hmmm...I think no. These quests aren't so much a narrative, as I understand it. They're more of an introduction to the lore, the character and your picked race. As such, it doesn't really make sense to keep introducing you to them with more quests. Heck, those quests are rewarded with the Legendary Lord's items, and I don't think they will have any items left to unlock when this new game comes out. :)
    zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

R4MPZY said:

zzdjdegm said:

idkdude23 said:

I am stating a fact

Your attempt at making a point is somewhat obvious, yes, but poorly made, sorry. :)
    Limited conquest != no cross-conquest across the games
    If empire can conquer Bretonnia, Tilea, Estalia and vampire counts, they might well be able to conquer Ulthuan or Naggaroth. Key word there is might, because we don't know how they'll do it, and you certainly don't. :)
    Warlocke said:

CA has explained that when you buy multiple titles within the trilogy the maps combine together to a single campaign map.
    Yup, it was big news back during the initial announcement. :)
    Don't worry.
  • RuskiRUSKIRuskiRUSKI Registered Users Posts: 7
    It will be interesting to see how the expansions fit into vixtory conditions, the new races causing additional problems might make certain races hardere to play as, such as the greenskins having a southern front to contend with, or brettonia being attached from across the sea.
    Setrus said:

idkdude23 said:

First question

I don't think the Ai will get to do quest battles, I think that might be asking a bit much of it and my guess is CA will take the shortcut of developing their Legendary Lord so they can unlock their items without having to do the quest. Basically they level up and get the item immediately. :)

Hmmm...I think no. These quests aren't so much a narrative, as I understand it. They're more of an introduction to the lore, the character and your picked race. As such, it doesn't really make sense to keep introducing you to them with more quests. Heck, those quests are rewarded with the Legendary Lord's items, and I don't think they will have any items left to unlock when this new game comes out. :)

I can see what you're saying. Let me preface this next part with saying that I am not overly familiar with warhammer lore. What would be the reason for expanding as each of the races from the first part of the trilogy into lands of the second and third parts of the trilogy? Are there natural enemies and allies throughout the entire world for every race? I feel like even if they just open it up purely for conquest, they'd still want some kind of story added in. Maybe the quests don't give you legendary items, and instead just level you up further or open up the possibility for more story type battles. As I said, I don't know what all of the interactions are between all the races,
    but if there are historical meetings and battles between them, then they could introduce those into the campaign after the second and third parts come out. Or they could make up dynamic story battles, as in, this conflict was never really a thing in the lore, but we will make a 'what if' battle on the same level of scale and epicness of the battles that did happen in the lore. And it's based on who you choose to go to war with and who you decide to ally yourself with.