Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Magic during Seiges (Speculation)

SntdragonSntdragon Registered Users Posts: 6
Considering this is a total war game I'm assuming the sieges will be the similar in most aspects- ladders, ram, then tower. Now adding the monsters of warhammer I'm assuming that the luminarch, siegetank, and giant will be able to "burst" through a wall like a catapult or cannon.
(And if I don't see a giant wack at a wall and break it down like a sledgehammer I will be majorly disappointed.

My question and hope for your opinions is : How do you think magic will be used during sieges? Will we be able to use the "Foot of Gork" to smash an enemy wall? Can we cast a magic spell like the Purple Sun behind enemy walls? Will there be spells that just burst down walls in a fiery fashion like a bright wizard might? Maybe even transport spells?

My vision that I hope to see is to use magic in these fashions (maybe not transport, but vampires bringing back the undead from inside a city would be pretty dang cool).

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• bli-nk#6314bli-nk#6314 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,981
    I've been wondering this as well. Ideally some magic could attack some walls and defensive positions but not sure CA will implement that or not because it isn't 'fair' though I really hope that doesn't stop them. Some magic lores should be more or less useful in different situations due to what spells they have regardless.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.” Mark Twain
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    That would be interestkng from a tactical standpoint as well.

As a defender, should I try to assassinate the spellcaster in a brave sally? How many troops do I dare put on the wall to repell those siege towers when the walls might crumple with men on it?

As an attacker, do I go for that big spell to smash the walls abd exhaust my mana? Or do I user smaller spells to kill defenders and boost attackers both on the walls and in the streets? :)

Yeah, levelling up heroes will be important, I wager.
    Don't worry.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,909
    I would imagine that casting spells behind walls blindly would be a waste of the magic pool. If you however, get a flyer close enough to get line of sight (I'm assuming they are keeping los in for this game) then dropping it on that spear wall behind the gate will make rams more appealing to me.

I do think it would be nice if some spells could damage walls, but I think some of the augment spells will be nasty to deal with as both the attack and defender. That not so threatening unit just became a better combatant do to a spell, that means I might be better off pushing the other wall instead.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,622
    A comment of casandora on the enrmy army when it is a blob coming through the gate :).
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • TyrionLamperougeTyrionLamperouge Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 268
    I think that it will be balanced with just one thing in mind (range).
    If the range to cast is short the defeners can counter it without need to go out of the walls.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,417
    I wonder how much enemy missile fire a lone wizard can absorb. On one hand, if they go down to a cpl round of shooting it will be too easy to neutralize them.

But it will be weird for a skinny old dude to wade through a storm of arrows or bolts like it's no threat
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    edited February 2016
    Well the goblin wolf shaman in thundering pass had 1264 health. Quarellers, last we saw them, did 20 missile damage and came in units of 100. So that's potentially 2000 damage per volley on that poor thing.

Of course, I doubt most would hit a lone character, so I'd say you're in danger unless you really focus fire and the goblin (in this case) is being a fool. :tongue:
    Don't worry.
  • SntdragonSntdragon Registered Users Posts: 6
    My main goal would just to be able to have a wizard be equivalent to a siege weapon (depending on class)

I hope that magic affects walls as well as units.
    Sntdragon said:

My main goal would just to be able to have a wizard be equivalent to a siege weapon (depending on class)

The problem with that is that magic won't always be reliable, you may have your magical strengths reduced, in which case you'll be stuck at the walls twiddling your thumbs.
  • SntdragonSntdragon Registered Users Posts: 6

Sntdragon said:

The problem with that is that magic won't always be reliable, you may have your magical strengths reduced, in which case you'll be stuck at the walls twiddling your thumbs.
    Im also assuming that the basic ladder/ram/tower options will still be available. Besides i think the unpredictability of magic is one of its greatest features. Like a gamble everytime. A good balancing mechanic ao you can't focus magic production and nothing else.
  • rhinoinsomniacrhinoinsomniac Member Registered Users Posts: 951
    the dwellers below on a wall section - bunch of roots come out of the ground and rip up masonry/fortifications

maybe some lore of metal spells would interfere with artillery made from ... metal

would birona's timewarp actually teleport a unit?

the wall of fire spell from lore of fire could be absolutely devastating to defenders, either to corral them into a trap or to keep them off a particular section of the wall. and on defense it could really wreak havoc on units trying to go through the gates

this discussion of magic - im really hoping the dwarfs have some great way of defending against it. CA hasn't elaborated much on that but i really doubt they're gonna go the TT route and put dispelling into the game.

actually, for such a huge addition to the game (magic), there really hasn't been much light shed on the subject. i may be mistaken about that but i haven't seen much.

back on topic - i really hope magic can turn the tide in sieges too - for defense and offense

honey will catch more flies than vinegar

Team Lizardmen

Sntdragon said:

Sntdragon said:

Im also assuming that the basic ladder/ram/tower options will still be available. Besides i think the unpredictability of magic is one of its greatest features. Like a gamble everytime. A good balancing mechanic ao you can't focus magic production and nothing else.
    I agree, if you rely too heavily on magic it should eventually become a liability.