Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

#MondayDiscussion - What is your Favourite piece of Warhammer Lore?

Luna_CALuna_CA AdministratorRegistered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,606
Its another Monday!
This time I want to discuss your favourite piece of Warhammer Lore - what is it? what happens? why do you like it so much?

Discuss!
Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
    edited February 2016
    Druchii Lore written by Gav Thrope

love it ^^
  • hellion9114hellion9114 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    Archaon and Be'lakor lore.
  • NinjasoupNinjasoup Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 149
    Vampire Count lore about Abhorash's acension, I am also a big fan of the Emperor Magnus lore.
  • IzzyStradlin#2842IzzyStradlin#2842 Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,635
    edited February 2016
    Neferata, and how she became the Queen of Mysteries.

:D
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,355
    Neferata lore for me as well and all the vampire lines. I do like the Drucchi too.

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • Luna_CALuna_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,606
    All good pieces of lore picked in here, mine would have to be Neferata too, but also Genevieve!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
    edited February 2016

but also Genevieve!

Ohh my that is some old lore we got there ^^
    Never got around to read those books, but heard it some of the best books in the warhammer serie.

Drachenfels........... *cold chill*
  • IzzyStradlin#2842IzzyStradlin#2842 Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,635
    How about Joey and Grace's favourites, Charlotte? :)
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • HarbingerHarbinger Member RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 140
    edited February 2016
    I love the part when the inhabitants of Karak-a-CA come out of their caves and revealed the vampire counts.

Ah, such good memories.
  • EinBeinEinBein Senior Member Düsseldorf, GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 279
    Definitely the ever-struggling Empire with its outstanding gritty and rotting late-medieval German Empire charm. The whole setting is one-of-a-kind.
  • UppslitarenUppslitaren Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 582
    edited February 2016
    I only ever read the armybooks lore but I can't help but like the High elf lore, specifically that great chaos incursion where aenarion picked up the blade and whooped all the daemons :).
    Of course the greenskin lords have their charm in the same way i love watching the hulk tear the world apart :).
  • capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,463
    edited February 2016
    Definitely most of the lore is interesting, but my favourite would be Vampire Wars, always loved dark and gothic stories and Warhammer captures everything in perfect way. I also finished whole Army Book of the Empire which also great to read about cities, units etc.
    Third would be Tomb Kings and how badass called Settra and our future LL for this Race, assembled mighty fleet and sailed all the way up to Norsca to reclaim his stolen crown from Champions of Chaos, how cool is that! :D

Reason why is I alwasy liked Undeads in every fantasy game, just playing as Undead Hordes in Disciples II Gallean Return highly recommend this one, got my Vampire Nosferatu Hero leading the army.
    h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • TheOrganKingTheOrganKing Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 990
    Khazrak one-eye, The Scourge of Drakwald.
    "Chaos strong. Gors strong. Humans, Elves, Dwarf — weak. We win. We fight, we kill, one day we win. One day soon. You — if you lucky, we eat you, make you into part of us, make you better than you, stronger than any of you, stronger than all of you. Once this arm weak, like you. I eat many of your kind, now I strong."
    —Karzog, Beastigor Charioteer.
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,622
    I love the war of Vengeance, stupid elves being put in their place by the dwarfs. However, I also really like the Vampire wars, Empire and witch hunters aplenty :)
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • Rich55Rich55 Registered Users Posts: 856
    My favourite would be Konrad von Carsteins lore.

Taken from Lexicanum:

Konrad was one of the last vampires to be sired by Vlad. Vampirism did little to strengthen Konrad's already tenuous grip on reality. His exploits included burning down entire towns because their smells displeased him, and trying and convicting his own mother for the crime of having given birth to him without his prior permission. He also made a habit of killing many necromancers, as they often made the mistake of mocking Konrad's (admittedly pitiful) magical powers.

After the killings of his rivals, he assumed power and immediately marched to war against The Empire, wishing to emulate the victories of Vlad. Because he had no talent at sorcery, Konrad changed his tack on necromancers and cajoled, bribed and bullied a large number of necromancers into serving him. The undead horde they raised was so immense it was able to triumph against any force sent against it, despite Konrad's insanity and his ineptitude as a general.
  • Hunnic_MasterHunnic_Master Member AustraliaRegistered Users Posts: 137
    I really love the Age of Sigmar, the trilogy is awesome and any story where a warlord unites their people against a greater threat really hooks me but also love the 3 way war with skarsnik, skaven and dwarves.
  • Chris P. BaconChris P. Bacon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 220
    Any books about Dwarfs
    Chrispy

Team Dawi
    Team Dawi Zharr
    Team Anything that kills Greenskin scum
    Team Throgg the Troll King
    Avid Reader of the Book of Grudges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TmZFm6NHfA
    What I'll have on repeat when playing as the Dawi
  • Fredrin#9269Fredrin#9269 Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,026
    edited February 2016
    I stumbled upon this joyous bit of lore the other day, all about The Great Maw:

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Great_Maw

As the insatiable god of the ogres, it arrived as a huge comet that wiped out two thirds their population and destroyed the lush lands that had previously provided their abundant food. In one particularly horrific excerpt, it's described as follows:

"...a gigantic, gaping crater the size of an inland sea, filled with ridge upon ridge of jagged teeth and rippling, convulsing muscles that stretched down and down into nothingness; a gullet so huge it could swallow a race like the Ogres and still hunger for more. It exists there even now, a vile, pulsing god visited upon the face of the world by the vengeful gods."

Brilliant... by merit of being utterly gross.

It's unending hunger also slightly reminds me of this community's never-ending appetite for more game-related info. These forums should be renamed The Great Moar :lol:
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    I'm not a hugely into the lore, to be honest, but...
    Repanse De Lyonesse's bit is bloody awesome.
    The War of Vengeance is cool due to how it shaped the world.
    Don't worry.
  • ranknfile#2065ranknfile#2065 Senior Member New OrleansRegistered Users Posts: 7,515

Warhammer lore? We ain’t got no Warhammer lore! We don’t need no Warhammer lore! I don’t have to show you any stinking Warhammer lore!”

Okay actually ..... knowing nothing about Warhammer this is a very interesting thread. Enjoy seeing what Warhammer fans like best about the fantasy world I will soon be immersed in.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,929
    I have to love the Strigoi lore.. Just the idea that a bloodline successfully found a way to co-exist with the living- but tragedy fell upon them and they devolved into beasts.. Its like a cooler version of the decline of the elves!

Although I also love the language and set up of the Empire from the mundane things like the Nuln artillery schools to the colleges of magic. Such a cool setting- you would have to be stupid to destroy it...oh

Happy year of the monkey btw!
  • AbonzoAbonzo Member Registered Users Posts: 322
    ranknfile said:

Warhammer lore? We ain’t got no Warhammer lore! We don’t need no Warhammer lore! I don’t have to show you any stinking Warhammer lore!”

Okay actually ..... knowing nothing about Warhammer this is a very interesting thread. Enjoy seeing what Warhammer fans like best about the fantasy world I will soon be immersed in.

this
    I have enjoyed total war for a long time.

*please excuse my bad English*
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,845
    ranknfile said:

You should try and get a bunch of the books and read...err...not on the job, no, that would be bad. ;)
    Don't worry.
  • jhornborg#2212jhornborg#2212 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,379
    Undead and Chaos lore are my favourites. In particular for Undead, the ancient Nehekharan origins of necromancy and vampirism. For Chaos, it's the lore about the Great Game between the Chaos gods competing with each other to prey on humanity's innate flaws. Most WH villains have believable motives at their core, despite often being depicted as comic book archetypes.
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797
    Nagash. 100% Hands down. He's one of the coolest pieces of Fantasy fiction ever written! :)
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 675
    edited February 2016
    Josef Bugman, his brew and his rangers! I will avenge his brewery and the loss of the finest grog the world will ever know. All goblins will be punished and one day, I swear it, more Bugmans XXXXXX will be brewed and all will be made right with the world.
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    War of the Beard
    War of the Nose
    Master Engineers
    Warrior Priest
    The original Grimgor Ironhide Archon showdown in the "Storm of Chaos"
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Sabor444#1932Sabor444#1932 Registered Users Posts: 589
    For me it is the big man, the guy that challenged the Chaos gods and was determined to consume them. The man that kicked off the end times, Nagash. Now out of every end times book Nagash is hands down my favorite in terms of lore, there is just so much good material in here. Such tales include Mannfred journeying into a Skaven tunnel then reanimating a giant skeletal dragon that the Skaven had made a city out of. Arkhan engaging in a massive sorcerer battle with Kemmler and blasting the traitor to oblivion. Neferata besieging a Dwarven army and capturing one of their key relics to gain Nagash's favor. The animation of EVERY single corpse in the Warhammer world. While their is countless other shock and awe moments, the crowning moment was towards the end of the book. After engaging a three day long battle with the Tomb Kings, Nagash ends the fight by consuming the Tomb Kings god of death and becoming a god himself. Then promptly stomps Settra the supreme leader of the Tomb Kings and offers Settra a place at his side. Where Settra promptly tells Nagash, "SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE" he shouted, trembling with rage, "SETTRA RULES!". Now aside from this being completely awesome especially it being shouted to a god of death, Settra is punished by being shattered leaving only his head alive (hes undead still). Nagash then (making sure Settra is in full view) completely destroys Khemri, the city that Settra has been guarding and ruling over for thousands of years. Nagash then takes his black pyramid of death and all remaining undead and marches to Sylvania, his black pyramid acting as a beacon for all undead to come to his domain. Leaving Settra behind in the sand to stare at the giant sand pit that was once his great city.
  • Fredrin#9269Fredrin#9269 Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,026
    Nice. Can anyone recommend a good lore video or other online resource where I can read about Nagash. He does sound like a total badass from what I've heard of him.
  • WinkleGoobWinkleGoob Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 16
    War of Vengeance.

It would be amazing if CA added that later on as a standalone campaign like the Wrath of Sparta, for example.