Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

#MondayDiscussion - What is your Favourite piece of Warhammer Lore?

13»

Comments

• JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 675
    Ah Erminaz!! You are right about Alith Anar! Great stories, particularly the one where he infiltrates Naggaroth and dances with Morathi herself - and somehow steals the Stone of Midnight from under her nose.

Good call! I am not quoting you directly in my reply so as to not clutter the thread with the images.
  • Pr4vda#6038Pr4vda#6038 Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 2,327
    Everything about dwarfs.

Through total war warhammer, I want to give them back their lost empire, karaz ankor, and destroy every greenskin, skaven, chaotic, beast, man or elf Who would not agree with that.

I hope it will be hard, very hard even, but not impossible if leaded well.

After dwarfs, I like all the kind of lore. The warhammer lore is so huge and interesting that I often learn New things each day on various forums or vidéos or games, and it is always awesome (except if Dwarfs lost. That is just impossible).

:D
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • #802805#802805 Member Registered Users Posts: 646
    It hard to choose a favourite piece of lore, so I will just share one small piece that I found interesting.

In the Tomb Kings book that came before the latest one there was a text called Tales From The Oasis. It is about an Arabyan trader that tells a traveller about the land of Nehekhara, the realm of the Tomb Kings. Near the end of that text the trader mentions a tribe of black-robed Arabyans called Scythans that serve the Tomb Prince of the city Numas. They are living under the protection of the prince and serve him as scouts. In return, the skeletal warrriors guard them while they sleep. This is very peculiar as this is the only instance of living humans serving an undead monarch in Nehekhara.

I believe this is a nod to the film The Mummy which also had a group of black-robed warriors guarding the tombs in the desert, although for a different reason. This always amused me.

Sadly, there is no mention of this lore in the latest Tomb Kings book. I fear this was silently retconned.
  • Luna_CALuna_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,606
    There is some amazing recommendations in here! I feel I need to read a fair few more books!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • MRFlackMRFlack Member Sydney, AustraliaRegistered Users Posts: 293
    Gotrek and Felix. Doesn't get any better than those two blundering their way towards saving the day.
  • HellowenistiHellowenisti Member FinlandRegistered Users Posts: 111
    edited February 2016
    My favorite piece of Warhammer Lore is here earlier mentioned the Von Carstein trilogy ("vampire wars"), which are Warhammer novels at its finest.

One of my other favourite pieces is about glorious High elves. I just love the background of swordmasters and Eltharion (especially the form of "Eltharion the Blind").

[img] http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/7c/EltharionVSBelannaer.jpg [/img]

I used to imagine this song when I played tabletop game with my army of High elves and Eltharion led swordmasters to campaings against those sad sad Dark elves. ;)
    Post edited by Hellowenisti on
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2016
    My favourite thing would have to be the technology of the Dwarfs and the Chaos Dwarfs. They make some really cool machines! So do the Empire and Skaven, but the Dwarfs are just that much cooler. Their Karaks are true marvels of engineering. :wink:
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • knodo85knodo85 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    Sabor said:

@Indypride, Bahahaha, careful there that holy fire of customer satisfaction might burn...if it actually existed in the first place.

In all seriousness though, in regards to Age of Sigma lore there is nothing I can actually enjoy about it. Everything I liked about warhammer fantasy was thrown out the window when age of sigmar was introduced. While I can give a multitude of examples, my biggest beef with it is the very humanized central theme that humanity is everyone's savior and don't mess with us. Now there is nothing wrong with humanity in fantasy setting it just gets tiresome that humanity is ALWAYS the big heroes when sonething goes wrong.

This idea that any other faction would be lost without humanity is just....beyond dull to me, especially when the sole reason behind it is not greater strategic minds, a greater lifespan that plays into battle experience, or even physical superiority above other factions, but simply humanity comes out on top because it's humanity. In age of Sigmar the idea that a human god basically pulls everyone from the depths and recreates everything from nothing through his leadership where every other faction would be "lost" without humanities guidance.

That is part of the reason I liked warhammer fantasy as opposed to LotR, or other fantasy setting cause it was a struggle. Plain and simple, there was no main focus on humanity and how it saved the world all by itself. Warhammer fantasy took a more neutral stance where honestly Bretonnia, or the Empire were certainly not the most well off empire or even the focus of the setting. It all feels like a joint struggle where every side is competing for its survival with no clear side (apart from chaos) that will clearly emerge victorious. Age of Sigmar robs me the feeling of that, case and point the name of the game is named after the human faction leader. :/

I thought those gold dudes were robots or something
  • Indypride#7329Indypride#7329 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,744
    knodo85 said:

Sabor said:

@Indypride, Bahahaha, careful there that holy fire of customer satisfaction might burn...if it actually existed in the first place.

In all seriousness though, in regards to Age of Sigma lore there is nothing I can actually enjoy about it. Everything I liked about warhammer fantasy was thrown out the window when age of sigmar was introduced. While I can give a multitude of examples, my biggest beef with it is the very humanized central theme that humanity is everyone's savior and don't mess with us. Now there is nothing wrong with humanity in fantasy setting it just gets tiresome that humanity is ALWAYS the big heroes when sonething goes wrong.

This idea that any other faction would be lost without humanity is just....beyond dull to me, especially when the sole reason behind it is not greater strategic minds, a greater lifespan that plays into battle experience, or even physical superiority above other factions, but simply humanity comes out on top because it's humanity. In age of Sigmar the idea that a human god basically pulls everyone from the depths and recreates everything from nothing through his leadership where every other faction would be "lost" without humanities guidance.

That is part of the reason I liked warhammer fantasy as opposed to LotR, or other fantasy setting cause it was a struggle. Plain and simple, there was no main focus on humanity and how it saved the world all by itself. Warhammer fantasy took a more neutral stance where honestly Bretonnia, or the Empire were certainly not the most well off empire or even the focus of the setting. It all feels like a joint struggle where every side is competing for its survival with no clear side (apart from chaos) that will clearly emerge victorious. Age of Sigmar robs me the feeling of that, case and point the name of the game is named after the human faction leader. :/

I thought those gold dudes were robots or something
    Nah dude. They're Sigmarines
  • Sabor444#1932Sabor444#1932 Registered Users Posts: 589
    @knodo85 The "gold dudes" are called Stormcast Eternals, and they are mortal souls that have been augmented by Sigmar (Once again the human faction leader) and then gifted magical arms and armor and sent into battle. In lore theoretically any race CAN be a stormcast eternal, the only ones that have appeared thus far are human males (and one skeleton [sarcastic cheer]). However even if another race did become a stormcast eternal it wouldn't matter as they are all direct servants of Sigmar and by extension the savior of all things not Chaos. :/
  • knodo85knodo85 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    I may be brand new to Warhammer, but I can still easily see why everyone is mad that the whole world was destroyed and replaced with shiny WoW paladins.