Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hints that Skaven could be in the first game?

2»

Comments

• ImmaculateDeceptionImmaculateDeception Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,073
    Aztek said:

If you are a Skaven fan, you don't want them to merely be a pasted on DLC post release. You want them to at least be given the love that Chaos got which would mean they would be The Antagonist of the next release.

I was thinking Skaven and Daemons as the main antagonists of the 2nd and 3rd game. I think that they are more complicated than what a race pack could be and their mechanics deserve a game. The whole Under Empire itself would be a special thing just for the Skaven.
    We are of like mind.
  • Indypride#7329Indypride#7329 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,744
    edited February 2016
    SiWi said:

Indypride said:

I really don't think people should be acting like they know how CA is going to handle these DLC's or expansions. Just because CA has said the expansions will be standalone games, that does NOT mean there wont be overlap of the Old world and the expansions maps. And it is entirely possible that CA runs into issues with trying to connect the maps and games, or goes in a different direction from what they originally planned or talked briefly about in interviews. Wood Elves do not HAVE to be game 1 DLC, there are numerous ways they could be incorporated later on (if there is a later on. Remember for a trilogy to come to fruition, game 1 has to sell well and other things have to fall in to place. We are not guaranteed later TW Warhammer games)

EVERYTHING is subject to change, especially in regards to how the expansions will work or how many DLC factions will be in a particular game. So just because Chaos is a DLC race for game 1, does not preclude other factions from becoming DLC in the first game, despite what CA might or might not have said. Blogs and social media posts are not divine mandate, things can and do change during game development and afterwards.

When they say Skaven aren't in the first game, we can take them at their word for launch, or not. But that doesn't mean they cant decide 8 months from now to throw them into game 1 as DLC because they've finished their assets ahead of schedule or something. A lot of us seem to be treating one-liners from blogs and Facebook as unequivocal/not up for debate decisions. Again, business decisions can and do change all the time.

Well playing the "everything can change" card("maybe the earth will be flat at some point"), when the facts don't add up for one stance, isn't really convincing in my opinion.

As for the argument about overlapping or not:
    I wouldn't see overlapping as broke with the statement: "different parts of the old world"

If game Nr. 2 has the area south the grey mountains to the TK and Arabia in the south and goes that east to the orges, than that IS a different part of the world, even if Bretonnia ect. are on the first map.
    @SiWi To what are you referring to when you say that the "facts dont add up"? My post is referring to people who are saying unequivocally that Wood Elves must be game 1 DLC, or saying that Chaos is a DLC race in the first game so there cant be more DLC races in game 1, or saying that there cant be some map overlap between games. Or using single sentences from 8 month old live interviews as the basis for their arguments. If Skaven are NOT game 1 DLC, then there will most likely HAVE to be some sort of of overlap between maps, as Skavenblight is on the map for the first game. But some people have said the maps would not overlap at all. The whole "earth is flat" point really doesnt have anything to do with what I was trying to say, and certainly doesnt characterize my argument.

@bennymcl we agree, it is indeed possible Skaven will be in the first game at some point IMO, despite there being a single sentence in a blog post that said they wont be. (They could have very easily been referring to the base game).

With the more recent blogs, I think it is a very fair assumption that most or all of what has been said is 100% right and how stuff will work on launch. The further back you go into 2015 though, the more likely it is that some of what CA has said has changed, so I feel like one should be careful using year old interviews as unequivocal evidence.
  • ImmaculateDeceptionImmaculateDeception Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,073
    The whole Wood Elf thing is deserving of it's own thread as the lack of talk of both Wood Elves and Beastmen made me take notice. With the blacked out Athel Loren, I am a little more excited at the thought that they may truly be creating a theatre of war within Athel Loren and the fight will be between various factions of Wood Elves and Beastmen.
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797

The whole Wood Elf thing is deserving of it's own thread as the lack of talk of both Wood Elves and Beastmen made me take notice. With the blacked out Athel Loren, I am a little more excited at the thought that they may truly be creating a theatre of war within Athel Loren and the fight will be between various factions of Wood Elves and Beastmen.

BEASTMEN! I forgot those in my list too... yeesh I am slipping lol...
  • UppslitarenUppslitaren Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 582
    I dont get why some people thinks that just because a faction is located on the current area of the map in the first game it would have to be a DLC faction for the first game or included in the base game. I'm not entirely convinced Wood elves will be in the first or second game. Same thing with skaven.
    It all depends on what direction they choose for each game. If wood elf and/or skaven doesnt fit for whatever road they enter for second game they shouldnt be in the second game.
    Who knows what features they will be adding or evolving.
  • DeColdDeCold Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    SiWi said:

They said that skaven will not be in the first game in the occupation blog...

are the skaven fans be the next "VC fans"?

Do I have to prepare a other "Dark Prophecy" that skaven are gonna be replace by.... by... Sea elves!
    That they are gonna get replace by Sea elves!

Wait, did they? Can you post a link please?
  • Jo_Proulx#5293Jo_Proulx#5293 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,836
    Would be nice, when they ever get released, that every time a rebel army spawn for any faction, that there would be a 10 - 15 % chance to spawn a stack of Skaven instead :)
    "Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,083
    DeCold said:

SiWi said:

They said that skaven will not be in the first game in the occupation blog...

are the skaven fans be the next "VC fans"?

Do I have to prepare a other "Dark Prophecy" that skaven are gonna be replace by.... by... Sea elves!
    That they are gonna get replace by Sea elves!

Wait, did they? Can you post a link please?
    You really need a link to the regional occupation blog post? Lazy. :p

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regional_Occupation_Blog
    ò_ó
  • Ree09619Ree09619 Member Registered Users Posts: 160
    edited February 2016
    You know, I was kinda thinking CA could do an easter egg sort of deal.

Like, you bring one army (Dwarfs or Greenskins) and bring them to somewhere isolated far down the south-east of this map. Once your there switch your army into "underway" stance and wait a couple turns. An event message pops up that your troops encounter something and they get to fight a very small Skaven warband.

This or when like you're in underway mode there's a 0.001% chance people with encounter Skaven. People will then report that they have seen Skaven in their game but it'll be such a rare occurence that others aren't sure of it. Like it's just a tall tale Empire mothers tell their children!

Just a fun thought!
    "Three things make the Empire strong: faith, steel, and gunpowder." -Magnus the Pious

Ree09619 said:

Like, you bring one army (Dwarfs or Greenskins) and bring them to somewhere isolated far down the south-east of this map. Once your there switch your army into "underway" stance and wait a couple turns. An event message pops up that your troops encounter something and they get to fight a very small Skaven warband.

Just a fun thought!

Haha yeah, these are the kinds of things I like to speculate. Except I was speculating that it was the entire faction that would be included in one way or another.

CA would get mad crazy bonus points for even providing the Skaven as a full race of the released game...

Can you imagine if they had Skaven in the game and kept it a secret all the way up until release? That would be impressive!!! Doubtful!!!... but impressive lol
  • Ree09619Ree09619 Member Registered Users Posts: 160
    bennymcl said:

Ree09619 said:

Just a fun thought!

Haha yeah, these are the kinds of things I like to speculate. Except I was speculating that it was the entire faction that would be included in one way or another.

CA would get mad crazy bonus points for even providing the Skaven as a full race of the released game...

Can you imagine if they had Skaven in the game and kept it a secret all the way up until release? That would be impressive!!! Doubtful!!!... but impressive lol
    I have another idea edited in that post check it out :)
    "Three things make the Empire strong: faith, steel, and gunpowder." -Magnus the Pious

Ree09619 said:

bennymcl said:

Ree09619 said:

Just a fun thought!

I have another idea edited in that post check it out :)
    Lol that makes such awesome sense as well. Would be really cool. But it would drive Skaven players INSANE with the fact that they couldn't play them =P hahaha
  • DeColdDeCold Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8

I thought they stated it in a reply in the thread.
    Well now i'm sad. I really sad now. Actually Skaven is one of my favorite races of WH.
  • ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightRegistered Users Posts: 2,019
    bennymcl said:

Ree09619 said:

Just a fun thought!

Nods to the assassin "Manling knows to much, make him die-die"

"Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

• UppslitarenUppslitaren Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 582
    I don't think they should be in the first game as a DLC, even if they could do it. I would rather they are included in a major way, done right, like they deserve. Both in the TT and lore they have a big role to play even if they, afaik are not in the top5 of most played armies.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394

I don't think they should be in the first game as a DLC, even if they could do it. I would rather they are included in a major way, done right, like they deserve. Both in the TT and lore they have a big role to play even if they, afaik are not in the top5 of most played armies.

I don't think being DLC would change that, but it would stop them becoming a big bad.
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
    HoneyBun said:

DeCold said:

I thought they stated it in a reply in the thread.
    Well now i'm sad. I really sad now. Actually Skaven is one of my favorite races of WH.

Don't be sad. I am sure they will be in the trilogy by the end!

My 3 favourite races are Chaps Dwarfs, High Elves and Skaven. So I don't have a favourite in game 1. But that doesn't mean I'm sad. Empire look pretty cool, Dwarfs are a fun defensive game and Chaos have an amazing roster.

Just focus on a race you do fancy playing, the one you love will be along soon enough :)

Im not use to you being so positive.. haha but well said yeah! Unfortunately even I think the chances of skaven being in the first game are slim, so it's good to enjoy one of the other races .. while we wait :)
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,622
    HoneyBun said:

bennymcl said:

Im not use to you being so positive.. haha but well said yeah! Unfortunately even I think the chances of skaven being in the first game are slim, so it's good to enjoy one of the other races .. while we wait :)

I think that's because of when you joined the forum.

I was always extremely positive and happy about the game (go see me defending the Chaos DLC decision in the early pages of that massive thread). I pre-ordered the game and I even bought all the DLC for Attila (which I loathe) just to support CA.

What I am is upset and concerned by the limits on occupation (and initially by limited rosters - but that has been corrected). I feel that none of the arguments given by CA actually work. I worry that re-playability is shot and that the decision is a very bad one.

While I wait for Skaven, High Elves or Chaos Dwarfs to pop along I had decided to play Dwarf. I also feel they get the worst negative impact from limited occupation so that's a bummer.

But I know that Skaven will be in game eventually. I think CA are actually doing each race brilliantly now. The rosters (although I still want a dwarf bolt thrower mostly out of stubbornness) are superb. The Chaos roster is unbelievably good.

I don't think Skaven will make first game because I think CA will want to do them properly and I think CA is right to do that.
    Yes, this game should be done (and waited for) patiently.
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    edited February 2016
    Indypride said:

SiWi said:

Indypride said:

I really don't think people should be acting like they know how CA is going to handle these DLC's or expansions. Just because CA has said the expansions will be standalone games, that does NOT mean there wont be overlap of the Old world and the expansions maps. And it is entirely possible that CA runs into issues with trying to connect the maps and games, or goes in a different direction from what they originally planned or talked briefly about in interviews. Wood Elves do not HAVE to be game 1 DLC, there are numerous ways they could be incorporated later on (if there is a later on. Remember for a trilogy to come to fruition, game 1 has to sell well and other things have to fall in to place. We are not guaranteed later TW Warhammer games)

EVERYTHING is subject to change, especially in regards to how the expansions will work or how many DLC factions will be in a particular game. So just because Chaos is a DLC race for game 1, does not preclude other factions from becoming DLC in the first game, despite what CA might or might not have said. Blogs and social media posts are not divine mandate, things can and do change during game development and afterwards.

When they say Skaven aren't in the first game, we can take them at their word for launch, or not. But that doesn't mean they cant decide 8 months from now to throw them into game 1 as DLC because they've finished their assets ahead of schedule or something. A lot of us seem to be treating one-liners from blogs and Facebook as unequivocal/not up for debate decisions. Again, business decisions can and do change all the time.

Well playing the "everything can change" card("maybe the earth will be flat at some point"), when the facts don't add up for one stance, isn't really convincing in my opinion.

As for the argument about overlapping or not:
    I wouldn't see overlapping as broke with the statement: "different parts of the old world"

If game Nr. 2 has the area south the grey mountains to the TK and Arabia in the south and goes that east to the orges, than that IS a different part of the world, even if Bretonnia ect. are on the first map.
    @SiWi To what are you referring to when you say that the "facts dont add up"? My post is referring to people who are saying unequivocally that Wood Elves must be game 1 DLC, or saying that Chaos is a DLC race in the first game so there cant be more DLC races in game 1, or saying that there cant be some map overlap between games. Or using single sentences from 8 month old live interviews as the basis for their arguments. If Skaven are NOT game 1 DLC, then there will most likely HAVE to be some sort of of overlap between maps, as Skavenblight is on the map for the first game. But some people have said the maps would not overlap at all. The whole "earth is flat" point really doesnt have anything to do with what I was trying to say, and certainly doesnt characterize my argument.

@bennymcl we agree, it is indeed possible Skaven will be in the first game at some point IMO, despite there being a single sentence in a blog post that said they wont be. (They could have very easily been referring to the base game).

With the more recent blogs, I think it is a very fair assumption that most or all of what has been said is 100% right and how stuff will work on launch. The further back you go into 2015 though, the more likely it is that some of what CA has said has changed, so I feel like one should be careful using year old interviews as unequivocal evidence.
    I criticize your argument "everything is subject to change". Since it lazy dismisses evidence which doesn't fit.
    Using that rational, I could claim that TW: Warhammer will be a shooter, because "everything is subject to change".
    And since you could easily support ridiculous claims, I reject that kind of "argument".

As for what will CA actually do, I (as I did at least a dozen times in this forum) pretty much agree.
    CA will with almost certainty, not do more that the 6 races in the first game, which are already in.
    Empire
    Dwarfs
    Greenskins
    Halfling (okay VC)
    WoC
    Bretonnia

But only because I agree in the substance, doesn't mean I agree with your style.

Something you even could have guess from my short comment you quoted. Why would I argue that the statement doesn't prove overlapping wrong, when I think overlapping isn't a thing?
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    HoneyBun said:

bennymcl said:

I think that's because of when you joined the forum.

I was always extremely positive and happy about the game (go see me defending the Chaos DLC decision in the early pages of that massive thread). I pre-ordered the game and I even bought all the DLC for Attila (which I loathe) just to support CA.

What I am is upset and concerned by the limits on occupation (and initially by limited rosters - but that has been corrected). I feel that none of the arguments given by CA actually work. I worry that re-playability is shot and that the decision is a very bad one.

While I wait for Skaven, High Elves or Chaos Dwarfs to pop along I had decided to play Dwarf. I also feel they get the worst negative impact from limited occupation so that's a bummer.

But I know that Skaven will be in game eventually. I think CA are actually doing each race brilliantly now. The rosters (although I still want a dwarf bolt thrower mostly out of stubbornness) are superb. The Chaos roster is unbelievably good.

I don't think Skaven will make first game because I think CA will want to do them properly and I think CA is right to do that.
    Fair enough, mate!
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    As it's valid here as well

Green:
    Dark elf(elf city)
    High elf(elf city)
    Ogres(stone city)
    Chaos dwarfs(stone city)
    BB(DLC): deamons of chaos(horde), stream down from the north pole into the two regions

Blue:
    Lizardmen(temple city)
    beastmen(forest city)
    wood elfs(forest city)
    Tomb kings(temple city)
    BB(DLC): Skaven(horde at start, settles under all cities)

The Skaven here lunch attacks from skavenblight but the player doesn't need to have skaven blight as your LL is not on the council and the raze is more like an infest where you have control and can defend the region but you don't get to use the build much(two/three building chains?) just use what is already there much like a Ostrogoth turned up to 11.

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King