Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Anyone remember the 5th Chaos God?

cool_ladcool_lad Senior MemberIndiaPosts: 2,272Registered Users
I was looking into the lore of Chaos and ran into something surprising; there is/was a 5th Chaos God called Mallal/Malice. From what I could gather, he was directly opposed to and feared by the other 4.

While I don't think that we'll ever get to see him, I think the idea of this god is pretty cool and really brings out the nature of Chaos.

Anyone else have any info/opinions?

Comments

• BloodClawBloodClaw Senior Member Posts: 303Registered Users
    Mallal has become a sort of joke from what I have seen. He is considered no longer cannon and trying to force his way back into the cannon. At least from what I have seen on other forums and or video's.

Isint the skaven god considered a minor chaos god ?

I didn't know much about endtimes lore as it ruins some stuff for me and is GW excuse to replace Warhammer with age of sigmar but was nagash not trying to become a chaos god as well ?

Also in 40k there was some undead zombie kind of guy that almost became a new chaos god in the soul eaters book.

Also in 40k the Eldar partied so hard they made Slanesh.

So its not so much there is only 4 and that's that.
    My dream has come true my favourite game franchise (total war) + my favourite lore (warhammer) are collaborating for a truly divine game !!!!!

For some TW lets play's or my prediction and information videos on TW: Warhammer 2 - visit my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWi55_w4pBFCy06QGTdOBw[url]

Twitch : [/url]https://www.twitch.tv/blood_claw[url][/url]
  • AetaosRauKeresAetaosRauKeres Posts: 327Registered Users
    Nope, never heard of him.
    must be a tzeentchs scam, mate.

• ChassitChassit Junior Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    I totally remember Malal. As a player of first edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, I have an actual official book with him listed.
    SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE
    TEAM CHAOS
    Chassit said:

I totally remember Malal. As a player of first edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, I have an actual official book with him listed.

Heresy!
  • ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightPosts: 2,018Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    GW doesn't have the rights to the name anymore thus he is no longer mentioned directly, but his chosen champion gets a brief mention in the end times. The Horned Rat is now somewhat implied to personify this diety instead.
    "Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

Chassit said:

Heresy!
    Yeah, I seem to hear that a lot! ;)
    TEAM CHAOS

GW doesn't have the rights to the name anymore thus he is no longer mentioned directly, but his chosen champion gets a brief mention in the end times. The Horned Rat is now somewhat implied to personify this diety instead.

and you didnt find it much funnier to blatantly deny his existence?
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,726Registered Users
    Was that the name of the Chaos god of Non-belief I've heard about?

Because I want a return of the Chaos god of Non-belief.
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
    No, Malal was an enemy of the other Chaos gods. I am not sure to whom you are referring.
    TEAM CHAOS

The God Emperor of Mankind

The God Emperor of Mankind
    Of course!
    TEAM CHAOS
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,272Registered Users
    He makes even the other Chaos gods look sane in comparison. From what I read, the other gods are actually scared of him and even the most corrupted followers of Chaos consider him taboo.

The coolest thing though is how he seems to complete and balance Chaos; the other gods have some reason and order to them, some goal through which they can be understood, but this god seeks only to bring their plans to ruin, truly embodying Chaos in a way that the other gods can not.

His presence also balances out Chaos as a whole; the eventual victory of Chaos is impossible, just as is it's defeat. Chaos becomes at the same time undefeatable and defeated from the beginning, making any complete victory a defeat for the 4 gods.

• ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightPosts: 2,018Registered Users
    edited February 2016

Most people get him mixed up with a 40k theory, Malal was the god of anarchy and self destruction (chaos destroying itself)

"Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

• SegersgiaSegersgia Junior Member Posts: 299Registered Users
    I still remember someone saying:

"The greatest trick Malal ever pulled, was to convince everyone he didn't exist."

From that moment on, I despised GW from never making this guy canon again. I still don't know what the deal with him is.

Geedubs, we need some answers, zog it!
    edited February 2016
    Segersgia said:

"The greatest trick Malal ever pulled, was to convince everyone he didn't exist."

From that moment on, I despised GW from never making this guy canon again. I still don't know what the deal with him is.

read the thread. it has only 14 posts.

You can do it!
  • MandalayMandalay Junior Member Posts: 152Registered Users
    Segersgia said:

I wouldn't trust the current GW talent to give them, if end times is anything to go buy.

It would just be a combination of spikes, skulls and everybody dies. Oh, and give us all your moneyz.

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,707Registered Users
    edited February 2016

First you must undertand, that in the warp, there are many chaos gods and many more lesser demons. The four gods everybody knows, are the most powerful but they are not the only ones. Several ranks below them in the shadows lurk others, waiting and biding their time to be the top dogs themselves.

Malal is (or was) one of these lesser gods. And he was wicked in his own way, because he and his followers were Chaos that hated all other Chaos more then anything else. If you think about it, it is the nature of Chaos, even showed in the greater four gods and their hatred on each other.

The problem with Malal was some copyright issue in the early stages. GW did not had the rights to Malal and that was that. He was thrown out of the lore and the idea never really was picked up again. Of course, every now and then GW might tease older veterans a little. Last time I saw someting like that, was in 40k with the "Sons of Malice"

which showed up in a Chaos Codex. The painting and the name was to close to be random.

The old comics about Malal and his champion Kaleb Daark
    https://wyldwoodbooks.wordpress.com/2006/03/11/the-quest-of-kaleb-daark/
    https://wyldwoodbooks.wordpress.com/2006/03/11/the-god-slayer/
    https://wyldwoodbooks.wordpress.com/2006/03/11/evil-of-the-warpstone/
    and some of the background and history
    http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.de/2013/01/the-malignancy-of-malal-solving-mystery.html

Even if not present anymore for decades, some people still follow Malal and creating armies in his name ;) And the 40k players have some hillarious rumours about Malal besides the sons of Malice

But thats 40k, where you can find conspiracies everywhere. I still like the old rumors about the Adeptus mechanicus and the Iron hands been corrupted by the C'tan (Dragon). You know, the old times. Before they trashed the old Necron lore and customised space Khemri with new and sparkly robots that could talk and would ally themselves with Space Marines and other scum that should be cleansed by gauss fire from the galaxy *sigh*

-----Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox on
    edited February 2016
    Red Dox said:

But thats 40k, where you can find conspiracies everywhere. I still like the old rumors about the Adeptus mechanicus and the Iron hands been corrupted by the C'tan (Dragon). You know, the old times. Before they trashed the old Necron lore and customised space Khemri with new and sparkly robots that could talk and would ally themselves with Space Marines and other scum that should be cleansed by gauss fire from the galaxy *sigh*

-----Red Dox

good ol times.
    Before the necrons become tomb kings in space. At least we didnt had our endtimes.... yet
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Posts: 1,092Registered Users
    I thought Matt Ward was the 5th Chaos God, since his writing is antithetical to order and logic.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Matthew_Ward
  • willaguywillaguy Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    What's cool about Malal imo is that he truly embodies actual chaos, any plan or organization is his enemy. Unraveling schemes and producing unpredictabilities is as I understand his ultimate goal. Even followers of Malal will turn against other followers because it resembles some form of order. Correct me if I'm wrong but Malal seems to be the most chaotic out of all the gods.
  • LordoftheIslesLordoftheIsles Member Posts: 442Registered Users
    At one point there were only three Chaos Gods in warhammer and they were Malal, Khorne, and Nurgle. There were three Law Gods too do not remember there names. This was a long time ago. Now there are only four and Malal is no more.
  • MontresorMontresor Junior Member Posts: 320Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    There were also two other Chaos gods from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition - Zuvassin and Necoho (introduced in Something Rotten in Kislev). 1st edition also very strongly implied that Khaine was an aspect of Khorne, which is a much more interesting interpretation than the now canonical version in my opinion.

The law gods were Solkan, Aluminas, and Arianka. Aluminas is one of the most interesting concepts for a deity the setting has ever had, I think.
  • bronhomsbronhoms Posts: 1,330Registered Users
    All gods are aspects of each other. Khaine and even Sigmar are aspects of Khorne. Nurgle is not only rot and decay, but also life and rejuvenation, tzeentch is not only a trickster god, but also the god of magic and complex schemes. The aspect of lust in the name of Slaanesh can be interpreted in very different ways. Lust doesn't have to be bad.

Montresor said:

There were also two other Chaos gods from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition - Zuvassin and Necoho (introduced in Something Rotten in Kislev). 1st edition also very strongly implied that Khaine was an aspect of Khorne, which is a much more interesting interpretation than the now canonical version in my opinion.

The law gods were Solkan, Aluminas, and Arianka. Aluminas is one of the most interesting concepts for a deity the setting has ever had, I think.

My GM still plays with Khaine as an aspect of Khorne, Shallya an aspect of Nurgle, etc.

It IS really cool like that imo.
    TEAM CHAOS
  • MontresorMontresor Junior Member Posts: 320Registered Users
    @ Chassit - Your GM is a great guy.

I've always taken the more controversial stance in my campaigns that the only gods that actually exist are the Chaos Gods. The human, elven, dwarfen gods etc are nothing more than social constructions. Whatever divine blessings their worshipers use are just simple manifestations of the Warp. I preferred it this way as it lends itself to the much bleaker, less heroic notions of cosmic horror the setting had. This has been easy for me to do as I generally stick to a first edition WFRP interpretation of the tone and setting.

@Montresor

He really is, and yeah that description pretty well sums it up in our campaign as well!
    TEAM CHAOS
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,571Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    Malal has NEVER been 100% cannon and he was NEVER in anything that related to the warhammer fantasy world we know.
    He existed back in the 2nd and beginning of 3rd edition in a few stories (they had more chaos gods back then though...) and then never existed again.
    EDIT: Seems like warhammer fantasy RPG first edition books had him but then again they were in a pretty different warhammer world.
  • rhinoinsomniacrhinoinsomniac Member Posts: 950Registered Users
    edited February 2016

I thought Matt Ward was the 5th Chaos God, since his writing is antithetical to order and logic.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Matthew_Ward

i wanna thank you for this link as i'd never been to 1d4chan. i got to read alot of "Interesting opinions" of gw. And I got see mantic's humor with fisty glue man gold statue. Sounds like malal was in oblivion: shivering isles as sheogorath. Does he predate the elder scrolls? Prolly a silly question.
    Post edited by rhinoinsomniac on

honey will catch more flies than vinegar

Team Lizardmen

• HellowenistiHellowenisti Member Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    Heh good old Malal.

Here you can find some more information about Malal (or Malice).

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malice

Kaleb Daark from comic (champion of Malal during 80's)

Figure for Kaleb

During Storm of Chaos this guy (Be'lakor) were rumored to be "daemon prince" of Malal.