Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Free For All should be a MUST for TW: Warhammer

SaucysoupSaucysoup Junior MemberPosts: 98Registered Users
Due to the MAJOR diversity of every faction and race it would only make sense to have a possibility of a Free For All battle. It would be very fun, impressive, and quite valuable to take part in an FFA (EX: 1v1v1/4-player FFA) in TWW. I do take consideration of how this may be complicated in and on the campaign mode of this game, YET this can always be implemented in Custom Battle or Online Multiplayer battles instead of Campaign mode. Whether we see this in-game or not, the whole thought of a massive battle with a few diverse factions, bashing and clashing visually looks and sounds very entertaining for everyone participating in the battle! I mean let's be honest with ourselves, despite the doubt any of us have of this rising back into the Total War Series, it sure sounds like a blast! :)

Comments

• TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,465Registered Users
    Yeah this point has been made before. Mainly by me ;-)

It would of course be very nice to have.
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 4790k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 2400Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • SaucysoupSaucysoup Junior Member Posts: 98Registered Users

Yeah this point has been made before. Mainly by me ;-)

It would of course be very nice to have.

Would you have any Idea of how an FFA can occur in Campaign by any chance? I'm trying to think of some sort of way this could happen. Let's say if you were the Empire faction and you were at war with the Vampire Counts and Greenskins at the same time while they were both at war with each other and you. You have a gathering of troops in a given province, while in the same vicinity of your men there is a battle being initiated by the two counterpart factions. Would you have the option of fighting? I mean sure the probability of this isn't always likely to occur, BUT the sheer excitement of the player having the CHOICE to hop in on the carnage is honestly hands down something truly epic. In my eyes CA has the ability to do this, yet the question is - "Will we see this in the game?"
  • Naughtius_MaximusNaughtius_Maximus Posts: 78Registered Users
    This would be cool, but I'd settle for the ability to watch to AIs battle each other. Be nice to see their strategies and how their units work together.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 3,544Registered Users
    I imagine it would happen when 3 warring factions are within reinforcement range and one of them initiates on the other, the third can join in the fray.

It would make a lot of sense imo.
  • SteelFaithSteelFaith Senior Member Posts: 1,000Registered Users
    Co-op and Head to Head campaign needs up to 2-4 players now. So there can be 3 player FFA, 4 player FFA, 2v2 teams, etc - it would really open up some many more interesting strategic possibilities to Campaign MP.
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,887Registered Users
    Don't like the FFA idea at all. It's pretty obvious what will happen...
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
    Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
  • NaiethNaieth Posts: 231Registered Users
    Triumph & Treachery! It'd be a great new feature.
    Support a third Legendary Lord for Wood Elves

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    I won't, because I is pretty certain that it won't be implemented anyway, and for good reasons. At least not for multiplayer.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

• KrabbzKrabbz FrancePosts: 332Registered Users
    Gosling said:

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    I won't, because I is pretty certain that it won't be implemented anyway, and for good reasons. At least not for multiplayer.
    Wow so much argumentation.
    Gosling said:

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    Thanks for coming in a thread and trashing it, just because you won't use the feature.

That's something really annoying about these forums in general. There's a handful of hardcore SP TW fans, and they think just because they don't like something, that millions of others won't find enjoyment from it, and shouldn't have access. Could you be any more self-centered and arrogant?

• bronhomsbronhoms Posts: 1,325Registered Users
    Gosling said:

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    What will happen, and what are the good reasons for not implementing it as a custom battle mode?

bronhoms said:

Gosling said:

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    What will happen, and what are the good reasons for not implementing it as a custom battle mode?
    I feel that it will be likely that CA will stick to what they are used to. I mean they already confirmed only 1v1 or Coop Campaigns and no 3-4 player campaigns (Sad truth :'( ) But despite that fact there is always still a slight chance of FFA being implemented in the game.
  • Filthy_man_thingFilthy_man_thing Posts: 471Registered Users
    Huh. that's interesting.

I'm on record for not being too fussed if it doesn't make it into the game...but how will the campaign map handle NOT having it?

Say you're empire, and you're invaded by VC as part of a long grueling war. And an orc wagggghhhh shows up in reinforcement range, disconnected to either side. Does said waagggghhhh just sit out when you or the VC go for one another?

It's very interesting to think about. I suppose that's what makes sense. Obviously having it as a possibility would be cool, but it's not something I think I'd greatly miss despite the fun of FFA's I've had in TT :)
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,465Registered Users
    edited March 2016
    Saucysoup said:

Would you have any Idea of how an FFA can occur in Campaign by any chance? I'm trying to think of some sort of way this could happen. Let's say if you were the Empire faction and you were at war with the Vampire Counts and Greenskins at the same time while they were both at war with each other and you. You have a gathering of troops in a given province, while in the same vicinity of your men there is a battle being initiated by the two counterpart factions. Would you have the option of fighting? I mean sure the probability of this isn't always likely to occur, BUT the sheer excitement of the player having the CHOICE to hop in on the carnage is honestly hands down something truly epic. In my eyes CA has the ability to do this, yet the question is - "Will we see this in the game?"

Well, to quote myself exactly in the thread I made: ( https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/167244/how-free-for-all-could-benefit-campaign-and-multiplayer#latest )

If you're unaware, free-for-all (FFA) is a multiplayer battle mode where up to 4 people could fight each other unto death and there could only be 1 victor. It was fun. It would be nice to see it in Warhammer MP, BUT:

While dreaming of better days in Multiplayer, I had the idea that this was something that would be pretty cool in Campaign.

Imagine for instance that you are playing as the Vampire Counts. You're feeling peckish and spot an Empire army of bloodbags. You click attack, but wait, an un-allied army of greenskins wants to join the battle. You then have to weigh up the pros and cons of having them in the battle too. Could you allow them to attack each other and so lessen the impact on your own army, or could it be they'll focus on you first and attack each other afterwards?

My point being that you could kick off a FFA battle in Campaign.

This would introduce a small host of new tactical considerations in terms of army presence and new interesting ways to fight battles.

As far as the mechanics of it, well I have an idea how it would work having considered potential problems, but I'd rather see if anyone likes the idea first.

I have since been thinking about the mechanics of it and to my mind it would have to have a bunch of preset conditions in order for FFA to take place.

This is so, for one, that it isn't abused. Depending how the AI is tailored it might be easy to allow the enemy armies to wipe each other out leaving you largely unharmed but ultimately victorious.

Two, so that the event of FFA itself is unique and special.

I do also wonder if this should be a racial trait.
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 4790k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 2400Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,592Registered Users
    Gosling said:

Gosling said:

Then don't play it then?
    Please share the "good reasons" 4 player FFA shouldn't be added to custom or multiplayer. I'm dying to hear them.

You wont play it, so it shouldn't be in the game? Good to know!
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Posts: 1,520Registered Users
    I would love to have a FFA mode. ADD IT CA!
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • RifugioRifugio Member Posts: 725Registered Users

...Say you're empire, and you're invaded by VC as part of a long grueling war. And an orc wagggghhhh shows up in reinforcement range, disconnected to either side. Does said waagggghhhh just sit out when you or the VC go for one another...

I think if there is no alliance involved and all factions at war everything reverts to turn order. so if the turn order was Empire, vampire, orc. Empire would have a turn to reinforce, VC would march in and attack, either Empire or Orcs - they choose Empire - Even though the Orcs are in range they would not be drawn into the battle. Sitting back to watch the action.

On the Orc turn they would march in and wipe out the depleted forces of the Victor of the human VC conflict.

If VC delays attacking as they see the waagggghhhh on its way we have an Old World standoff. - Either way though it does not look good for the Empire, and the system can handle the battles without implementing a free for all. maybe someone can correct me if doesn't work that way in previous TW'S?
    edited March 2016
    Thinking about this some more. Does anyone have a good example of a historical battle where more than two opposing sides fought at the same time? I am struggling to think of one and for good reason. They don't make much sense. instead two or more of the sides will form an alliance (however temporary). A three or more way battle is a stalemate as no one would be willing to commit to attack knowing they leave themselves totally open to whoever is not committed.

There are also a reasons treachery in the form of openly attacking your allies does not happen during a battle but afterwards. Including It takes some Co ordination to tell your entire army that their allies are now the enemy. Setting this up in advance is not a great idea either just in case your allies are spying on you... Which they no doubt are. even more likely in fantasy armies where magic is involved.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Posts: 1,704Registered Users
    I don't know about in campaign although the Greenskins certainly have the temperament to attack two armies already locked in battle but multiplayer should totally have free for all. No real world diplomacy or reasoning to worry about there.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Why wouldnt it? I dont see any reason it would be locked... I mean you can wage war against every faction in sp so why not being able to set up a 1 v 1 v 1 v1 etc for mp with all factions against eachother? Maybe if they dont want it due how those modes work sometimes but sounds pretty simple to add as an option.

I think you are right when you say Greenskins have the temperament. Individually, But they are lead by hardened Warlords who live for war and have experienced /survived many internal/external battles to get to where they are and to be capable to unite the tribes into armies and control them. They didn't get where they are by losing - its is the victories that make them and they are not tactically ignorant. Natural selection ;)

For standalone battles I don't see the harm in having free for all if the game supports more than two players. But, I think the Ai would struggle if needed to fill human player roles...
    It was more for custom battles, than for co-op campaign. Because what will tend to happen is that everyone will a) be too scared to make a move because they will get trashed by the fresh untouched player, or b) one person will stay out of it until there is only one other person left, most likely broken and battered to hell.

I think people have over reacted to what I said, rather viciously I might add.

edited March 2016
    Gosling said:

It was more for custom battles, than for co-op campaign. Because what will tend to happen is that everyone will a) be too scared to make a move because they will get trashed by the fresh untouched player, or b) one person will stay out of it until there is only one other person left, most likely broken and battered to hell.

What you're suggesting doesn't happen in 4 player free for all battles. 2 sets of 1v1s happen, and then the remnants of the 2 remaining armies converge and fight to the death. Yes, in 3 person FFA's one player will sometimes sit back. You can either make rules against this, only play with friends you know wont do this, or simply not play the game mode. Or they could just reintroduce Scored Resolution again, so that someone who swoops in at the end with their unhurt army and barely does any killing wont get many points and will still lose.

Its not a valid reason to not include FFA in a Total War game. Someone might redline camp or run their units around the map for eternity in TW as well. Should we just get rid of multiplayer entirely because a few players might occasionally play cheaply? Of course not.

You don't want FFA. That's cool, you don't have to enjoy the game mode. Some of us have wanted FFA to make a return since Medieval 2. Really, there should only be two sides to this. Either you want FFA to return, or you are ambivalent to it returning. There should really be no one who would be upset about it coming back, because no one is forcing you to play. More content and game modes shouldn't really be considered a bad thing
  • Masher8559Masher8559 Senior Member Posts: 503Registered Users
    I've missed free for all so badly. This is the PERFECT game to bring it back. It could make for some incredibly fun and epic fights. Hopefully we see FFA return.

I've missed free for all so badly. This is the PERFECT game to bring it back. It could make for some incredibly fun and epic fights. Hopefully we see FFA return.

Yes indeed!
  • MordrethMordreth Senior Member Posts: 1,130Registered Users
    Its absolute chaos, and a great feeling when you win one.

But they don't add features anymore.
    Bring on the Skaven! CA please try to balance MP! Too much cheese!
    Mordreth said:

Its absolute chaos, and a great feeling when you win one.

But they don't add features anymore.

You're right. Magic, flying units, and the Book of Grudges arent features. They arent even in the game. Its all part of CA's master plan to deceive nooblets into purchasing.

But you wouldnt fall for that. It couldnt be that you've been complaining about this game for the past 8 months and are still...going....to....purchase. Could it?
    edited March 2016
    Indypride said:

Gosling said:

What you're suggesting doesn't happen in 4 player free for all battles. 2 sets of 1v1s happen, and then the remnants of the 2 remaining armies converge and fight to the death. Yes, in 3 person FFA's one player will sometimes sit back. You can either make rules against this, only play with friends you know wont do this, or simply not play the game mode. Or they could just reintroduce Scored Resolution again, so that someone who swoops in at the end with their unhurt army and barely does any killing wont get many points and will still lose.

Its not a valid reason to not include FFA in a Total War game. Someone might redline camp or run their units around the map for eternity in TW as well. Should we just get rid of multiplayer entirely because a few players might occasionally play cheaply? Of course not.

You don't want FFA. That's cool, you don't have to enjoy the game mode. Some of us have wanted FFA to make a return since Medieval 2. Really, there should only be two sides to this. Either you want FFA to return, or you are ambivalent to it returning. There should really be no one who would be upset about it coming back, because no one is forcing you to play. More content and game modes shouldn't really be considered a bad thing
    Well, all I originally said was that I don't like the idea of it, someone said "don't play it then", I said something along the lines of "fine, I won't", then suddenly it's all doom, gloom, and the realm of Chaos breaking into reality. If it works, congratulations; enjoy.

How are those two mild comments some huge "arrogant" attack on all of you guys that DO want it. I won't be upset in the last if it was brought back: I honestly don't care if it's in the next game or never shows up. If it DOES turn up, great! Fantastic! I hope you all have fun! I just know that I won't be playing because it does not interest me.

THAT does not warrant a hail storm of abuse. If people want civility, maybe they should be bloody civil themselves...

Gosling said:

Indypride said:

Gosling said:

Well, all I originally said was that I don't like the idea of it, someone said "don't play it then", I said something along the lines of "fine, I won't", then suddenly it's all doom, gloom, and the realm of Chaos breaking into reality. If it works, congratulations; enjoy.

How are those two mild comments some huge "arrogant" attack on all of you guys that DO want it. I won't be upset in the last if it was brought back: I honestly don't care if it's in the next game or never shows up. If it DOES turn up, great! Fantastic! I hope you all have fun! I just know that I won't be playing because it does not interest me.

THAT does not warrant a hail storm of abuse. If people want civility, maybe they should be bloody civil themselves...
    You could have just said, "it doesnt interest me, have fun", and no one would have been annoyed. But Thats not what you said. You said it shouldn't and wont be implemented, and for good reasons. And then proceeded to not give any good reasons.