Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Book of Grudges mechanic Confirmed (thoughts?)

GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339
edited March 2016 in General Discussion

So we gotten information about this new Grudge mechanic, but they've didn't really delve too deep into it.....when they say that if a faction slights you, does this mean ever settlement taken/armies destoryed/treaties broken, you are given a grudge?

Also, what stops the player from exploiting this kind of system? If lets say I have a settlement, and I allow a greenskin army to take it and repeat the cycle again and again, I keep on getting the same grudge and milk it for its rewards....is this possible or is there a restriction on how many grugdes can be gained?

Just a little thought... I was wondering anything you guys might have come up with from the video?

Also, by 5:43....did anyone see those 2 wolves at the buttom left corner?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

Comments

• Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,842
    Seems it's like a hyper-reactive book of objectives reacting really quickly to anything that happens in the campaign.
    So far we've seen it react to low public order, lost territory, trespassing (oh boy, that one could get ugly) and some sort of goblin "rebellion"...so yeah, these grudges are going to be a thing. :lol:

Exploiting the occupied grudge? Err...don't you lose the settlement over and over then? And so the money from it? Not to mention that retaking it might be hard if you just let the enemy go in with whatever they have...AND that they might elect to raze it or similar at some point. I don't think it's worth the risk, to be honest.

As for the wolves...that's not really new, is it? I've seen them in Rome 2.

That blue bar on the right side of the armies on the UI...I think that's the amount of magic in the area the army stands in? :)

The dwarf province of 3 regions, after a mere 29 turns, produce 2302 gold, with the minor settlements barely built. A fully developed greenskin settlement, from what we've seen so far in old beta footage, would be 2500...so dwarfs will be sliiiightly better at producing money. :tongue:
    Don't worry.
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member New ZealandRegistered Users Posts: 1,887
    I like it a lot. Nice touch.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 2,177
    @GreyKnightDante

"Also, what stops the player from exploiting this kind of system? If lets say I have a settlement, and I allow a greenskin army to take it and repeat the cycle again and again, I keep on getting the same grudge and milk it for its rewards....is this possible or is there a restriction on how many grugdes can be gained? "

If people wish to do things like this then they're only cheating themselves. Perhaps CA could make the ai a bit more thoughtful in knowing these such tactics and therefor wait until the garrison is back to full strength before attacking again, but until then go raiding elsewhere in the meantime.

As for the book of grudges mechanic, love it. Nice to see that these quests can be added from slights against the Dwarfs. Looks a lot of fun.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    Kislev - from darkness to light.19/3

My steam workshop - mods.
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Registered Users Posts: 1,499
    I think it's awesome.

Makes the Dwarfs even more unique in their playstyle.
    My Rig:
    i7 8700k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    32GB 3000Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • SeborSebor Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 977
    I think the negative penalty should be higher for not following up with the grudges?
  • thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,929
    Interesting to see the full list of potential "slights" & the various ways to settle them.

There is a good chance that grudges may force you to declare war on what would otherwise be a strategic ally!

Looking forward to it!
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,083
    Sebor said:

I think the negative penalty should be higher for not following up with the grudges?

Nothing like an erroneous question mark to make a statement sound humorously indecisive.

Anyway, I think the penalty is fine. Grudges stacking up should make the Dwarf citizenry annoyed with their leadership, but not put them on the verge of open revolt or anything like that.
    ò_ó
  • knodo85knodo85 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    Warlocke said:

Sebor said:

Nothing like an erroneous question mark to make a statement sound humorously indecisive.

Anyway, I think the penalty is fine. Grudges stacking up should make the Dwarf citizenry annoyed with their leadership, but not put them on the verge of open revolt or anything like that.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?
  • Patrikseve#8733Patrikseve#8733 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,129
    edited March 2016
    I think this is the faction players who feel a bit lost in sandbox games might love aswell. Since total war is very player driven. The dwarfs, the quests for the hero and this book I suspect will be great for that part of the playerbase. And maybe attract som new ones aswell. It also fits... dwarfs to me is dark halls below the mountains filled with treassures and lots of mead and storytelling. So I think they kinda get that aswell with this mechanic.

For players wanting the equivallent of Pharrell Williams - Happy this race is the opposite... I mean they have been angry for thousands of years, they wont stop being angry now either. The happiest race have to be chaos... it sounds silly but they constantly laugh... they love when its war time, and its war time so often here. They stride everywhere and just laugh and are happy. Can you imagine to the tunes of happy... singing along dancing in the chair walzting your legion of laughing men from the north to a tango with the empire. Knocking on the capitols door while everything is burning and dying singing happy. "Wanna dance karl... we know you are in there"- Sigvald the Magnificent and Kholek Suneater- 2016.

In that sence dwarfes might be a bit off putting... but I would suggest you go with yhe orcs of course, a looney bunch... happier pack of raggedy rag slam hoisted bunch of boys you cant find, and the world havent seen such since nagash and friends, or wait maybe it did when I think of it, orcs are a pretty old race. They might not laugh much but they make you laugh while their wing propelled doom diver missfires and slam down a giant of your own glorious army... or when a boar orc falls of his boar and it just walk back calmly in a stride of pride and sits upon his orc master.

Something I hope we see in future games with warhammer both from relic and ca is that orc stuff breaks more and in game, that spontanious random stuff some dislike is part of the charm with them besides their brittish accent :)

back to topic yes I agree book of grudges look great. :)
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    I'm very pleased with it, it will make each action that much more meaningful when playing as the Dwarfs.
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.