Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Faction speculation.....Araby

Comments

• ZonenpennerZonenpenner Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    I forget some important point for including Southlands and Araby!

In Rome 2 the main reason to include whole arabia and ethiopia
    was to create a second theater for fleets from red sea to the persian gulf.

In one of the TW:WH Games they will include Naval-Combat...
    But the geography makes fleets beeing not so important.
    So they could include shrinked southlands to make it possible
    to use fleets for all theaters from Naggaroth to the Dark Lands.

But when they include southlands, they will a) give us araby (playable with dlc) and
    b) place lizardmen there, so that is no need for including lustria. :(

• IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065

Should slaanesh be given units of female sorcerers riding flying broomsticks?

I wouldn't mind that actually though it should probably be Tzeentch witches on broom and is no worse than vampires turning into bats or demon possession.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 670
    edited March 2016
    Araby wont meaningfully be in the trilogy, at best they will be akin to a placeholder faction with very generic units. This is because the depiction of Araby as stereotypical storybook Arabs would be considered, in our modern culture , as woefully politically incorrect by the usual PC partycrashers that utterly plague the commentary of modern games.

Considering the fact that CA is a British company makes this especially true. They cannot afford the storm of hate and fury that accompanies depiciting Arabs in such a manner from the activist groups that make a living complaining about such things.

Beards and Turbans everywhere, bearded sorcerers and Djinnis and even flying carpets? No way that is getting past the censors and legal department. CA would need to go outof their way to overhaul the faction to remove all that, perhaps by going farther in time to make very generic desert people, and not an obvious plug of medieval islamic Arabs and their folklore.
    Post edited by JollyRogero on
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2016
    There is a rich mythological tradition GW was consulting and CA could use that started in Sumeria and then the Epic of Gilgamesh where vampires, ghouls, demons, and werewolves are all mentioned. Jinn in Arabic tradition are 1 of the 3 sentient races alongside men and angels and can be good or evil though somewhat more often turned to evil than the faithful.

So long as CA doesn't mention the prophet or conflate modern ethos into the medieval and older mythology there is really little chance of any anger about a computer game when there are countless other video games being made.

CA could also use Berber culture for reference as much or more than Arabic and turbans or similar are part of almost all desert cultures.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 670
    edited March 2016
    Ichon said:

There is a rich mythological tradition GW was consulting and CA could use that started in Sumeria and then the Epic of Gilgamesh where vampires, ghouls, demons, and werewolves are all mentioned. Jinn in Arabic tradition are 1 of the 3 sentient races alongside men and angels and can be good or evil though somewhat more often turned to evil than the faithful.

So long as CA doesn't mention the prophet or conflate modern ethos into the medieval and older mythology there is really little chance of any anger about a computer game when there are countless other video games being made.

CA could also use Berber culture for reference as much or more than Arabic and turbans or similar are part of almost all desert cultures.

Yeah you are correct that would all work - but its my worry that the general public is not as well informed as you are and would conflate any / all of that into an accusation of a stereotype of more sensitive cultural topics.

Although in my opinion they should fully put in Araby as depicted in the Epic scale warhammer game and not worry about backlash. I'm just exasperated at the notion that should they do so then usual whiners in the game press and their sycophant twitter mobs will do their thing and I just don't want to hear about it.

And its my expectation that CA won't want to hear about it either.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Registered Users Posts: 1,763

I am aware of the origins of Aladdin.
    My argument is just that flying carpets have always been at best portrayed as a novelty, and more commonly used to comedic effect.

On this we can actually agree I think that they would be pretty silly and very hard to implement as an effective unit.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightRegistered Users Posts: 2,018
    edited March 2016

My argument is just that flying carpets have always been at best portrayed as a novelty, and more commonly used to comedic effect.

On this we can actually agree I think that they would be pretty silly and very hard to implement as an effective unit.
    I imagine they would be a bit like the gyrocoptors in the way they are a "missile flyer" unlike the gyrocoptors they would be VERY fragile, with a very low armour statistic. They would perfom alot like bow armed missile cav but with all the benifits of a flyer (Able to fly over the enemy lines, would likely move faster than regular cavalry as well) The riders also bring a few large flasks of poisonous creatures to drop on their foes. This could be represented in the same way as the gyrocoptors bombs. Each unit would get two uses but instead of causeing a bunch of direct damage it instead inflicts a "round" of poison damage to the unit (as seen in the slavic nations DLC) as well as some moral damage. (snakes, spiders and scorpions falling on unsuspecting soldiers heads would lead to a bit of panic I imagine)

Overall if Carpet riders were added to the game (either AI or playable) they would be a super anoying harrasment unit but would be very susceptible to damage in all forms (Your best bet would be to shoot them as tieing them down in melee will be tricky, either way though they would drop like flies once they start taking damage)

Post edited by Thanquol on
    "Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

I imagine they would be a bit like the gyrocoptors in the way they are a "missile flyer" unlike the gyrocoptors they would be VERY fragile, with a very low armour statistic. They would perfom alot like bow armed missile cav but with all the benifits of a flyer (Able to fly over the enemy lines, would likely move faster than regular cavalry as well) The riders also bring a few large flasks of poisonous creatures to drop on their foes. This could be represented in the same way as the gyrocoptors bombs. Each unit would get two uses but instead of causeing a bunch of direct damage it instead inflicts a "round" of poison damage to the unit (as seen in the slavic nations DLC) as well as some moral damage. (snake, spiders and scorpions falling on unsuspecting soldiers heads would lead to a bit of panic I imagine)

Overall if Carpet riders were added to the game (either AI or playable) they would be a super anoying harrasment unit but would be very susceptible to damage in all forms (Your best bet would be to shoot them as tieing them down in melee will be tricky, either way though they would drop like flies once they start taking damage)

Well constructed counter sir. I definitely want Araby and if Carpet Riders were implemented this way I could see myself using them. Though I will say they would have to be about as flimsy as zombies to be believable.

I imagine they would be a bit like the gyrocoptors in the way they are a "missile flyer" unlike the gyrocoptors they would be VERY fragile, with a very low armour statistic. They would perfom alot like bow armed missile cav but with all the benifits of a flyer (Able to fly over the enemy lines, would likely move faster than regular cavalry as well) The riders also bring a few large flasks of poisonous creatures to drop on their foes. This could be represented in the same way as the gyrocoptors bombs. Each unit would get two uses but instead of causeing a bunch of direct damage it instead inflicts a "round" of poison damage to the unit (as seen in the slavic nations DLC) as well as some moral damage. (snake, spiders and scorpions falling on unsuspecting soldiers heads would lead to a bit of panic I imagine)

Well constructed counter sir. I definitely want Araby and if Carpet Riders were implemented this way I could see myself using them. Though I will say they would have to be about as flimsy as zombies to be believable.
    Oh definitly, its a bunch of robed dudes on a hovering rug. Furthermore in melee they would swoop down and would hover at about head hight with the three crew jabbing downwards with spears though as they have next to no armour they would die pretty quick against anything except artilery crew. I'd number the unit about twelve in number, about a quarter the fire power of a regular archer unit (balenced considering they are flyers and will be able to shoot unprotected units in the back at will) If like TT flammable units are a thing in the game then these dudes should definitly be classified as such.

Team Skaven

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

• ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2016

uuuuuh...

YES!

(though they'd probably fit better with Bretonnia)

Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
    In warmaster they have there own magic lore. Be they playable or AI only what lores do you think they will use, Fire and Heavens??? Possibly Shadow

Team Skaven

Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

• SilveticaSilvetica Registered Users Posts: 416

P.S.
    So great hopes for Araby!
    Less hopes forAmazons :(

Can't disagree with anyone advocating for the fluff races but you're making it pretty hard not too trying to cut out my amazons.
    If we start pestering for amazons now they have plenty of time to add them to play with the 2 elf factions and the lizardmen.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 856
    Red Dox said:

There was also a camel with some kind of turret? Never played Warmaster so, no clue ;)

Since Araby had never an actual WHFB armybook, but at least a Warmaster army, I think CA could use what GW had with Warmaster models and build the rest to their liking. Question is if they could add new unit types or if they are bound to existing models.

Fans have also created Araby armybooks, using miniatures from historic tabletops or other companies to build their armies for WHFB. A neat book would be
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Redi9cZJ5iYkJJaEZaVFltVEE/edit?pref=2&pli=1
    and if CA would take some ideas from that for units, I do not think many would complain ;)

At least the Araby part is more settled then many people think

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/warhammer-maps.html
    It would be a shame if at some day the map will be expanded to Nehekhara for Tomb Kings but not feature the many Araby caliphates.
    http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=be48b8-1457094790.png

-----Red Dox

Sahra desert, araby, tamubkta, songhai
    god GW is terrible at coming up with original names
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • NG12345NG12345 Member Registered Users Posts: 150
    Generally, more contents = better.
    But with total war franchise, more contents = more DLCs.
    So no thanks.
  • mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 899
    Seriously Araby Cathay Ind Nippon etc etc forget about it. Or just add to the old posts from before. But highly unlikely.
  • Sulieman the MagnficentSulieman the Magnficent Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    Wait, doesn't Araby, Cathay and Nippon have unoffical army books? That tells a whole bunch of lore and stuff, its awesome.

I wish these three factions would come in as minor playable factions.

I mean Attila had minor playable factions that historically had little impact.

I approve of these three coming in.
    Dwarf Battle cry: " For the High King and the glory of the dwarfs "
    Team Dwarves
    "
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,841
    edited April 2016

Araby wont meaningfully be in the trilogy, at best they will be akin to a placeholder faction with very generic units. This is because the depiction of Araby as stereotypical storybook Arabs would be considered, in our modern culture , as woefully politically incorrect by the usual PC partycrashers that utterly plague the commentary of modern games.

Considering the fact that CA is a British company makes this especially true. They cannot afford the storm of hate and fury that accompanies depiciting Arabs in such a manner from the activist groups that make a living complaining about such things.

Beards and Turbans everywhere, bearded sorcerers and Djinnis and even flying carpets? No way that is getting past the censors and legal department. CA would need to go outof their way to overhaul the faction to remove all that, perhaps by going farther in time to make very generic desert people, and not an obvious plug of medieval islamic Arabs and their folklore.

Lets get the first thing out of the way, im pretty certain they can make this with no to little outrage. Secondly CA might not have the freedom at all to redesign anything. GW workshops is one of those companies that is very strict with their license, and from what I have heard also very clear with what you can and cant do, but I dont know what deal CA made. So yes they can be made, Same with the Tomb Kings that parody undead Egyptians, or Kieslev that parody eastern European etc.

The reason for this is because what CA is doing if they add them is to base them on established property, even aladin is stereotyping heavily and if someone made a game of Aladin it would most likely be considered ok even if that stereotyping is still in there. However criticism can always be put forth of course. However this game do stereotype or in many ways rather build factions on tropes and other such classical depictions. Time will tell if they are in or not.

Wait, doesn't Araby, Cathay and Nippon have unoffical army books? That tells a whole bunch of lore and stuff, its awesome.

I wish these three factions would come in as minor playable factions.

I mean Attila had minor playable factions that historically had little impact.

I approve of these three coming in.

Some factions do and some will I suspect. Im suspect some of them will, there might be some artifact from some regions to like the far east etc that isnt in the game as factions like indy etc but have some artefacts from those regions for details etc.

• mw51630mw51630 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,594
    Look guys, I always want more content. But the chances of Araby being implemented in a way people would really be excited about is small.

I mean, look at Kislev. They have the biggest claim to be implemented as their own race that isn't an 8th edition army. Instead they appear to be an empire army named kislev.

I think araby will make an appearance so that Tom Kings have something in the early fame to kill. But Araby's units will likely be very boring, like Arabian swords bows spears and some camels, maybe some elephants. And these units will have minimal work done on them, and may look like ported units from the Eastern Empires from Attila.
    mw51630 said:

Look guys, I always want more content. But the chances of Araby being implemented in a way people would really be excited about is small.

I mean, look at Kislev. They have the biggest claim to be implemented as their own race that isn't an 8th edition army. Instead they appear to be an empire army named kislev.

I think araby will make an appearance so that Tom Kings have something in the early fame to kill. But Araby's units will likely be very boring, like Arabian swords bows spears and some camels, maybe some elephants. And these units will have minimal work done on them, and may look like ported units from the Eastern Empires from Attila.

Is that really the worst thing though? I think what people fail to understand is that there's no expectation for CA to put minors on par with the big players of the game. That's why they're minor factions. If I may be so bold as to speak for minor faction supporters I think we just want the chance to play as them or at the very least have them implemented into the game where people who can mod like myself can do some work with them.

For me personally I would be ecstatic if they just implemented models from Rome and Attila into the game for minors. For me the whole point is that they aren't on par with the others. I hate noble heroes of the mighty nations fighting the dastardly villains. How about an Arabian Sultan that breaks an undead siege in Bretonnia putting aside centuries of hatred because he sees the threat of the undead. Maybe a Tilean noble and his mercs who forfeit their pay and their lives to hold Archaon at a bridge while KF retreats because they know hes the only one that can stop Chaos. Good stories right?

I'm just saying there are those who play Rome as Romans those who play as Carthage and then those who play as Syracuse because the other two have no right fighting over an island that isn't theres to begin with. And I hope CA breaks from GWs precedent and includes the factions like Araby that should have been in anyway

• mw51630mw51630 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,594

mw51630 said:

Is that really the worst thing though? I think what people fail to understand is that there's no expectation for CA to put minors on par with the big players of the game. That's why they're minor factions. If I may be so bold as to speak for minor faction supporters I think we just want the chance to play as them or at the very least have them implemented into the game where people who can mod like myself can do some work with them.

For me personally I would be ecstatic if they just implemented models from Rome and Attila into the game for minors. For me the whole point is that they aren't on par with the others. I hate noble heroes of the mighty nations fighting the dastardly villains. How about an Arabian Sultan that breaks an undead siege in Bretonnia putting aside centuries of hatred because he sees the threat of the undead. Maybe a Tilean noble and his mercs who forfeit their pay and their lives to hold Archaon at a bridge while KF retreats because they know hes the only one that can stop Chaos. Good stories right?

I'm just saying there are those who play Rome as Romans those who play as Carthage and then those who play as Syracuse because the other two have no right fighting over an island that isn't theres to begin with. And I hope CA breaks from GWs precedent and includes the factions like Araby that should have been in anyway

Very good post, and I actually agree with you. I want more minors, and I want them to at least be competent and not a fly to be swatted.

My earlier post was really in respond to some of the speculation for this thread. There are some people arguing over why or why not araby should have things like flying carpets.

I highly doubt a faction like araby is one CA will devote large amount of time too. I'm imagining they just create a carbon copy of lets say Himyar from Attila and name it Araby.

I have great respect for modders and I hope that they can break through the GW nodding blockade to create some cool stuff. A fleshed out Araby could be one possibility.
    mw51630 said:

mw51630 said:

Very good post, and I actually agree with you. I want more minors, and I want them to at least be competent and not a fly to be swatted.

My earlier post was really in respond to some of the speculation for this thread. There are some people arguing over why or why not araby should have things like flying carpets.

I highly doubt a faction like araby is one CA will devote large amount of time too. I'm imagining they just create a carbon copy of lets say Himyar from Attila and name it Araby.

I have great respect for modders and I hope that they can break through the GW nodding blockade to create some cool stuff. A fleshed out Araby could be one possibility.
    No I don't expect them to spend a lot of time on stuff like Araby I just want them to give enough effort for people to actually enjoy and experience the things that the more fringe TT players like myself had to go outside of the supported rules and models just to play something we enjoy. I know one thing for sure if my group does end up working on a mod I'll be looking the warhammer armies project for material. I just wish I had known they were around while I was doing TT.

That said I trust CA will include them and at the very least give them unique troops even if they are basic
    Its all speculation :) and if flying carpets are not included, you can bet they will be the only faction with elephants. It will be most amusing to see elephants fighting stuff like skeletons and greenskins and not being the largest thing on the battlefield (eg they charge a unit of goblins only for a giant to wade into them and start bonking them on the head)

Team Skaven

Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

Its all speculation :) and if flying carpets are not included, you can bet they will be the only faction with elephants. It will be most amusing to see elephants fighting stuff like skeletons and greenskins and not being the largest thing on the battlefield (eg they charge a unit of goblins only for a giant to wade into them and start bonking them on the head)

Yes! These are the kinds of things I want to see. The fictional vs the high fantasy. A battle where the Arabyans barely snatch victory from Kemmler only to have Mannfreds zombie dragon land on their heads.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,028

Fun fact:
    the flying carpet is a magical item from the main rulebook, for all races.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • AmericanViking22AmericanViking22 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 151

Oh definitly, its a bunch of robed dudes on a hovering rug. Furthermore in melee they would swoop down and would hover at about head hight with the three crew jabbing downwards with spears though as they have next to no armour they would die pretty quick against anything except artilery crew. I'd number the unit about twelve in number, about a quarter the fire power of a regular archer unit (balenced considering they are flyers and will be able to shoot unprotected units in the back at will) If like TT flammable units are a thing in the game then these dudes should definitly be classified as such.

Just an alternative interpretation for the battlefield application of flying carpets, perhaps they could be used like the Britannian tribes used chariots? (IRL, not the TW 'run them right over stuff) That is to say, as a method of rapid troop transport, warriors would ride them into position, then dismount and fight on foot? Wouldn't work in TWW, as they've removed dismounting, just was an interesting thought I wanted to share.
  • Berg_Of_The_WestBerg_Of_The_West Registered Users Posts: 528
    edited June 2016
    I don't see why they wouldn't add the Araby faction.

It's honestly an easy way to gain more profit from their game!

Since they are probably going to add the Tomb kings at some point and add another section of the campaign map it would't be much more additional work to squeeze the kingdom of Araby in there.

CA already have the unit skeletons for humans, camels, and elephants. They would mostly have to tweak the animation mechanics from previous total war titles.

The majority of the work would mainly consist of developing a few new unit skeletons...
    genies, flying carpet riders, camel gunners, etc.

The rest of the work would mainly be an overall unit re-skin for the faction.

There is already a unit roster they can use to work with and gain inspiration from.

Their is a consumer demand for Kingdom of Araby, Kislev, Night Goblins, and the Chaos Dwarves... it would seem silly for CA to not take advantage of this opportunity.

Not adding these factions would be a missed opportunity for CA to gain additional profits from their game. Especially since they already have the unit skeletons and army rosters to work with.
    Post edited by Berg_Of_The_West on
  • LeztaLezta Registered Users Posts: 40
    edited June 2016
    The other advantage of Araby is they'd allow them to have a relatable human faction in a potentially very monstrous one (assuming we end up with it being an Ogres, Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarfs expansion for the south and east).

Bring on the flying carpets I say!
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,065
    This'll be a mod one I'd imagine.

Some reskins should do it for most units.

They're supposed to be a magic-heavy faction with loads of mobility. It'd mean a fairly interesting playing style, and make them fairly unique amongst human factions.

Armoured elephants would be cool, possibly sporting small cannons.
    Djinn would make cool agents.
    Actual magic units would also be good, like Arabian mages on carpets.
    Camel troops with long rifles.

Those would probably be the hardest units to make. Things like their infantry would be reskins, their Cav would only need the odd stat tweak.

It might be tricky to make them effective, but if you gave their Cav some kind of ability that let them disengage more quickly then hit and run would become more viable. You'd also need their unit magic abilities to be fairly cheap to cast, as they'd basically be their artillery.

Some modders are going to have lots of fun over the coming years.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,065

Red Dox said:

There was also a camel with some kind of turret? Never played Warmaster so, no clue ;)

Since Araby had never an actual WHFB armybook, but at least a Warmaster army, I think CA could use what GW had with Warmaster models and build the rest to their liking. Question is if they could add new unit types or if they are bound to existing models.

Fans have also created Araby armybooks, using miniatures from historic tabletops or other companies to build their armies for WHFB. A neat book would be
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Redi9cZJ5iYkJJaEZaVFltVEE/edit?pref=2&pli=1
    and if CA would take some ideas from that for units, I do not think many would complain ;)

At least the Araby part is more settled then many people think

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/warhammer-maps.html
    It would be a shame if at some day the map will be expanded to Nehekhara for Tomb Kings but not feature the many Araby caliphates.
    http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=be48b8-1457094790.png

-----Red Dox

Sahra desert, araby, tamubkta, songhai
    god GW is terrible at coming up with original names
    Fairly sure those are fan fiction maps. They don't match up with the GW stuff.
    edited June 2016
    @az88 what do you expect CA to do with Araby exactly? Just ignore them and leave it to the modders to fix it? That doesn't make since solely based on the fact that in the game that includes TKs there is actually going to have to be a fight for the south. Fighting generic human nation 7 isn't going to work when theyre the primary opponent in an early game.

just a side note fan fiction or not GW is literally that uncreative when filling out nations for fluff.