Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Increasing population

dreagondreagon Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,291
Is there a way in this game to increase the population of a city? In the Third Age mod I conquered two villages, one with 10 population and one with 5 population. I would like those places to be actually useful in this game. And by useful I mean, having roads.
"The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft

Comments

• lordhofflordhoff Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 312
    Farms I believe do this.
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,291
    They do. But I'm not asking about growth. That 1% growth isn't going to help with a population of 5. I'm asking if there is some way to transfer population from one settlement to another or something like that.
  • StevenOStevenO Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 912
    Cheat codes. That's the only way to increase a population faster than actual growth.

The Third Age has many settlements that are next to impossible to grow although part of the reason for that is the designers thought that in the base game it was too easy to grow settlements. Sorry to say but in the Third Age not every settlement is going to get the chance to grow up. Even worse, some things only become available once certain settlements grow but getting them to that stage requires a VERY long grind at the game.
    I personally don't mind settlements growing slowly, as long as they grow. So all those settlements with 100-150 population are fine. For now it won't be a problem anymore because the game crashes when I press end turn. Now I'm playing as Umbar and I'm fighting in populous areas like Dol Amroth and Gondor.
  • lordhofflordhoff Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 312
    I don't know if this works in Med-II (it did in Med-I) but it'd be easy to try. Build a peasant unit it some city, move it to the low pop city and disband it.
  • CheChe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 805
    edited March 2016
    In Rome Total War, you can disband units in settlements to increase settlement population. This doesn't work in vanilla Medieval 2 Total War. However, I don't know whether this is possible in any particular mods.

In vanilla Medieval 2 Total War:

Buildings affect population growth (as you mentioned, farms, for example).

Tax levels affect population growth. (Choosing the "low" tax level maximises population growth.)

The happiness level of the settlement affects population growth.

Using a general as a governor also affects growth. The more chivalry a governor has, the more the settlement will grow. There are also (other) traits and retinue which affect growth.

In the case of a 10 population settlement, you might be able to get the growth rate to 10% per year. In that case, the settlement will grow. :smiley:

In the case of a 5 population settlement, I guess you would need to get the growth rate to 20% per year for the settlement to grow. I'm not sure whether or not this is possible with that particular settlement (depends on the region's fertility) and all the factors you can bring to it.
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
    I guess I'm stuck with those low pop settlements. Blame the orcs for exterminating those places. They ruined my dreams of having a road network in my entire realm.
  • Nobody_yos#5792Nobody_yos#5792 Registered Users Posts: 1
    there's a way by transforming from a village to a castle then upgrade the castle to lvl 2 or 3 whatever kind of town you want ( large town or small town) then transform it back to town its will be large town or town depends lvl of the castle you just need alot of money to do this method about the population idk if the number of ppl will change or not i just know that you can get a large town by this method so yeah idk if its a glitch but i think its .
  • FritzvomWaldFritzvomWald Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 147
    That approach adjusts the settlement's level - but it doesn't change the population on hand.
    author.png
  • Jarms48#7854Jarms48#7854 Registered Users Posts: 131

That approach adjusts the settlement's level - but it doesn't change the population on hand.

If you can use it to increase the settlement level then that would indirectly increase the population growth. As swapping the higher level castle to a higher level town would open up more buildings that increase growth.