Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Low Unit Size for creatures such as a Varghulf

DruggedUpTurtleDruggedUpTurtle Junior MemberEnglandRegistered Users Posts: 4
Greetings all,

So after looking at a few posts here and there I haven't managed to find anything regarding low unit size for the monstrous creatures.

I mean, a small unit of Empire Halberdiers getting charged by a Varghulf would be a impossible I'd assume (not that a 160 unit would be any different, they could get rekt.)

Will they have reduced health, perhaps do less damage? How will this be toned down to compensate for the loss in unit size?

Turtle
Peasants, they run the world, they provide you with everything you will ever need.

We are all peasants in this peasant world. But one world cannot be too peasanty or war will break loose..

ATHENAI WILL PREVAIL NABS.

Comments

• asyncasync Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 50
    Why would you want that?
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,355
    What are you talking about?

A standard unit of halberders will likely kill a varghulf.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • BoindilBoindil Registered Users Posts: 459
    yes, the health will be lowered I think. They will definitly balance it somehow.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549

What are you talking about?

A standard unit of halberders will likely kill a varghulf.

I believe he's talking about the lower unit size options and if this will affect single model health pools.

@OP: Short answer is probably a yes, the monster health pool will scale with unit size. Or the multiple man units like halberdiers will stay the same HP, just fewer models so it will take more "hits" before any of them start to die.
  • bbeslybbesly Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 269
    I'm quite sure health stays the same regardless which graphical setting you choose... (unit size IS a graphical setting)

Imagine Multiplayers would have such a serious disadvantage when playing against someone with higher specs and therefore higher graphics/ unit size... ... That outrage of the MP community... :smiley:
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,692
    Wait.. you can play with people who are on different unit size settings online? I'm pretty sure you cannot. I don't do online custom battles, but for online campaign you have to pick a Unit Size setting in the lobby as it would other-wise cause tons of problems.

I'm guessing it will alter the HP pool of the monster, but there's a few way they could go about doing this.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • bol14bol14 Senior Member USARegistered Users Posts: 825
    No you cant.. haha the dude who said that has clearly never played mp before. The way it works is everyone's unit sies are set to whatever unit size the host has
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,107
    Well single models from TT are gonna be also the same in Total War. As for Vargheist I feel like 12 of them is too much in one unit. Video provided by CA for previews shown 12 x 3 of them swooping down at one unit, i think there should be four or 6 of them only.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • CyronCyron Registered Users Posts: 1,113

Well single models from TT are gonna be also the same in Total War. As for Vargheist I feel like 12 of them is too much in one unit. Video provided by CA for previews shown 12 x 3 of them swooping down at one unit, i think there should be four or 6 of them only.

No there should be 24 Vargheists in each unit.... And 4 Terrorgheists in each unit.... *cough*screwbalance*cough* ;)
  • Southern_HunterSouthern_Hunter Registered Users Posts: 169
    I asked pretty much exactly the same question a few hours earlier, and no one has come up with a definitive answer. (see thread: Giants and unit size). I might go through the Lets Play videos and see if any have been played on different unit size levels, which would give us the answer I think.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549

I asked pretty much exactly the same question a few hours earlier, and no one has come up with a definitive answer. (see thread: Giants and unit size). I might go through the Lets Play videos and see if any have been played on different unit size levels, which would give us the answer I think.

While we may not know how they will implement it, there will definitely be something that makes up for "multi-man" units having fewer models. I still think it's most likely that the health and everything will actually remain mostly the same, so each model will have more health and the end result is that there will be a longer delay before models start to die since each model is more valuable since you might only have 80 instead of 160 or whatever.
  • TygereyeTygereye Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 192
    edited April 2016

All TW units sizes are enlarged compared to the average TT ones. Considering a standard Empire unit is 120 men strong, 12 Vargheists per unit make sense to me.
    Post edited by Tygereye on
  • bbeslybbesly Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 269
    bol14 said:

No you cant.. haha the dude who said that has clearly never played mp before. The way it works is everyone's unit sies are set to whatever unit size the host has

The "dude" played quite a few online-Battles, but never encountered such a problem due to matchmaking...
    and since every battle I played was without any problem, I assumed it was as I said "only an graphical" issue...

but you are right... now it looks quite stupid... ;)