Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Denuvo Q&A

CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA AdministratorRegistered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,221

Denuvo Q&A
Hi all,
News broke over the weekend that Total War: WARHAMMER will feature Denuvo Anti-tamper tech to help prevent piracy of our game.
There’s a large amount of misinformation around about the tech and how it will work with TW:WARHAMMER, so here’s a quick Q&A to help explain.
It is very much the case that this tech will be entirely automatic and unnoticed to the vast majority of players, but if you have concerns please do read on.

Will Total War: WARHAMMER require you to be always online?
No.
The game will require initial online authentication via Steam during installation as per all Total War games since EMPIRE. At this point Denuvo will also automatically authenticate.
You can then decide to play in offline mode if you wish.
Other games sometimes need to be always online, but this isn’t a Denuvo or Total War: WARHAMMER requirement and doesn’t apply to this game.

Will it affect the modability of the game?
No.
Like previous anti-tamper tech we have employed in Total War, it is the .exe that is protected, and we aren’t aware of any previous mods that change the .exe.
In any case, there are Denuvo-protected games with mods that patch the values of the game’s .exe in memory (example).

Can you upgrade your PC hardware without any problems?
Yes.
Depending on the upgrade (CPU, mainboard or major OS update), it is likely that Denuvo will need to validate your PC again, which will happen automatically once you start the game. It may also be the case, depending on your upgrade, that Steam might need to validate your PC again anyway. So you would need to be online at that moment.
Regardless, if you upgrade your PC hardware in any manner, we would always recommend you go online anyway and download the latest drivers from your manufacturer’s website in order to ensure the best performance from the game.

Does Denuvo limit the max number of times I can install the game on different PCs?
No.
You can install your copy of Total War: WARHAMMER on as many PCs as you like under your Steam account.
The only limit is on the number on PCs you can install on in any 24 hour period. This is limited to 5 PCs.
There might of course be an unusual reason you would want to install the game on more than 5 PCs in a day, but we hope in that case you don’t mind waiting a couple of hours. This is obviously an important measure to help us prevent the spread of a pirated version of the game, so hope you appreciate that with this understanding you help us make more Total War games in the future.

Does Denuvo cause HDD or SDD (Hard drive) problems?
No.
There’s a misconception that Denuvo writes data (or encrypts data) to and from hard drives continuously. It doesn’t.
You can read more at the Denuvo FAQ here: http://denuvo.com/#page-4

Will Denuvo affect the performance/FPS of the game?
No.
Despite there being no technical reason it should, to ensure that its implementation doesn’t affect TW: WARHAMMER’s performance we have been running tests internally here at CA and externally at Denuvo to see if FPS is different between Denuvo and non-Denuvo builds.
It isn’t.

Is Denuvo a DRM (digital rights management) solution?
No.
Total War games since EMPIRE have used Steam as DRM.
In order to help our games not be pirated (and so we can keep making Total War), we have used various different Anti-tamper technology over the years, and Denuvo is the latest.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Denuvo:_Questions_and_Answers
Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Tagged:

Comments

• SaborSabor Registered Users Posts: 518
    CA does it again with quick responses when the community gets worried. Thank you guys, keep it up! c:
  • bronhomsbronhoms Registered Users Posts: 1,330
    well.. This isn't really the kind of news I was hoping for on "newsday" ;C

• VinusoleVinusole Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 100
    bronhoms said:

lol myself also.
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,221
    @bronhoms

There will be something to keep you busy this week! Dont worry =)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,433
    Very good for CA to put all concerns to rest so promptly.

Still, I think most of us weren't bothered about Denuvo and were hoping for something gameplay related today. Ah well, there's always tomorrow.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • odsy2odsy2 Registered Users Posts: 716
    who's asking about denuvo? Lets see another dwarf battle pretty pls ca

@bronhoms

Original release date! lol j/k
  • odsy2odsy2 Registered Users Posts: 716
    Vinusole said:

@bronhoms

Original release date! lol j/k
    If that was the case I would be so happy. Maybe beta release, go on CA u know u want to
  • Col. GrizzlyCol. Grizzly Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 312
    bronhoms said:

I too am as sad as a snotling :(
  • spuddspudd WalesRegistered Users Posts: 212
    Couldnt care less.. more footage pls ;)

Team Chaos

• TyrionLamperougeTyrionLamperouge Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 268
    @CharlotteB CA i have heard several time that ca is triying to obtain gw approval to make a creation kit for modders, is that true or just rumors?
  • KobraKayKobraKay Registered Users Posts: 99
    Now time to perma ban the dude who created the Denuvo thread ;)

Great that, as many pointed out in the other thread despite the OPs cries, Denuvo doesn't actually prevent any modding or upgrading the pc's.....
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 670
    Kudos to CA for their quick and thorough response to this.

Shame on the peeps who threw flame-bombs to inflame the mob on bedeviled hearsay and rumors. Ever-busy are the agents of the ruinous powers in our midst.
  • KrakenWakesKrakenWakes Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 47
    Can I ask - reading the above, it sounds like I need to authenticate my game via Steam. Is this true even if I'm getting a disc copy of the game? Great that I can play it offline after that anyway, I'm just curious as to why you'd need to authenticate a hard copy online!

(I mean, other than filthy pirate reasons, of course)
    Every Total War game since Empire requires activation through Steam.
  • WulfRickWulfRick Registered Users Posts: 281
    steam is the reason i have steam.
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 997
    So the anti piracy efforts have always been a sucess? I mean, there have never been pirated versions og totalwar games right?
    The anti piracy protection works 100% right?

Because if it does not, then you are punishing legit players with extra programs that are not wanted on our systems (and sometimes theese programs cause problems on legit peoples computers, sometimes even destroying them)

All the while pirates get "better" version without the the anti program (i would assume, i wouldent know since i do not pirate games) ^^

Like with movies where pirates dont need to wait through the "Piracy is a crime" manditory screens! The legit users who OWNS the movie on the other hand need to be reminded its a crime.. this is beond condesending to the legit consumers..
    A pirate does not care nor will he ever see the warning so who are they targeting with this bs?

Defeat piracy by offering better service...
    Many devs sell their games without drm theese days, and somehow they survive + garner alot of goodwill from their fans.
    Strange is it not?
    2%
  • TydarTydar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 49
    Thanks for the clarifications CA, very much appreciated.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,559

@bronhoms

I'll keep myself busy in Rome over this week, bookee holidays for TW Warhammer premiere, but it has been changed. But also got days off in May :D
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • MerwanorMerwanor Member Registered Users Posts: 464
    Well then that subject is settled. As long as the system does not make the game worse in any way for the actual paying customers then I do not mind it.

Good to know that mods will still work, always used at least a few mods for TW games ever since Medieval 2. I bet some mods will come out for TWW that improves on certain things too.
    edited April 2016
    How much extra space will this take up?

Edit: I don't have unlimited SSD space.

• mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Good to know but doesn't effect me as I preordered months ago. Let's get to the juicy Warhammer info now ! :#
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,994
    Good update Charlotte. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    bronhoms said:

The system requirements say 35gb is needed. Denuvo won't add anything more to this..
    Mattzo said:

bronhoms said:

The system requirements say 35gb is needed. Denuvo won't add anything more to this..
    .. I know. If I need to be more specific: How much of the 35gb does Denuvo take up?

• KlalearaKlaleara Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 222
    Norsa said:

So the anti piracy efforts have always been a sucess? I mean, there have never been pirated versions og totalwar games right?

Because if it does not, then you are punishing legit players with extra programs that are not wanted on our systems (and sometimes theese programs cause problems on legit peoples computers, sometimes even destroying them)

All the while pirates get "better" version without the the anti program (i would assume, i wouldent know since i do not pirate games) ^^

Like with movies where pirates dont need to wait through the "Piracy is a crime" manditory screens! The legit users who OWNS the movie on the other hand need to be reminded its a crime.. this is beond condesending to the legit consumers..
    A pirate does not care nor will he ever see the warning so who are they targeting with this bs?

Many devs sell their games without drm theese days, and somehow they survive + garner alot of goodwill from their fans.
    Strange is it not?

I'm against DRM (and I don't understand how this isn't drm). But it took a little over 2 weeks to Crack Just Cause 3.

A lot of people not willing to wait that long for a game and might just break to buy it.

Granted, if this does screw up the game, CA will have pushed the last button, and will probably perma screw their rep. Hope this isn't a bad choice.
    Klaleara said:

Norsa said:

Strange is it not?

I'm against DRM (and I don't understand how this isn't drm). But it took a little over 2 weeks to Crack Just Cause 3.

A lot of people not willing to wait that long for a game and might just break to buy it.

Granted, if this does screw up the game, CA will have pushed the last button, and will probably perma screw their rep. Hope this isn't a bad choice.
    Why are you against it?
  • gdvxiwezcvwezicvzigdvxiwezcvwezicvzi Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    drm is useless and only punishes the guys who actually buy your product...
  • CwenraedCwenraed Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 709
    Basically Charlotte is saying, this will not effect you in anyway at all. Well that is if you are not a pirate (arrrrr)

It will not take up any hardly of the space required for this game.

And no it does not effect performance.

Do not disturb my circles >:)
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,391
    Are there any reasonable incentives CA could give people to deter piracy?

I'm largely ignorant of the inner workings of the fight against piracy, I absolutely love total war games, and I would never pirate something I enjoy that much.

But I feel like I can't blame them for taking steps to protect their work.