Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Confusion with friendly fire

DLC_confirmedDLC_confirmed Registered Users Posts: 70
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
I am a little confused.

Is there friendly fire? Not sure if this is a topic else where. However im sure in a video some where, i saw dwarven gunners firing from behind dwarven axes. However another video showed artillery in-front of of both gunners and the axes as to not deal friendly casualties.
So only artillery deals friendly fire if not placed correctly? Or archers / gunners dont deal friendly fire?

I would strongly prefer there to be friendly fire, meaning deploying and moving your troops into position more taxing on the brain. I also dont think its right to have hand gunners shooting from behind your front line.

On this note, can damage dealing "area affect spells" inflict casualties to your own units? Again i hope so.

Also, with Empire total war, if you fired a volley at a unit for example, you were likely to miss some of that volley. If there is another unit behind the targeted unit, would some of the "missed" volley hit the unit behind the targeted unit. <--- If that makes sense. ^^

<3

Comments

• FrigMannaiaFrigMannaia Fagnano Olona, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 319
    I am pretty sure that friendly fire is present in the game. It was present in all its predecessors and i think it's also in this one. Moreovere, they never talked about not including it, so it should be there. No need to worry imo ;)
  • WulfRickWulfRick Registered Users Posts: 281
    there is friendly fire in TW and it applies on every sort of missile (or magic vortex). If you're attillery or archers are on higher ground then it is possible to shoot over your own units in combat, it's all about the arc of the projectiles. In some cases you can just shoot over the heads of your unit and in some cases you'll have to reposition
  • DLC_confirmedDLC_confirmed Registered Users Posts: 70
    ^
    Ahh! Thank you guys. I was clearly having a moment of stupidity then ^^

<3
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,197
    The real question is whether they use Atilla Friendly fire or Rome 2 friendly fire.

Huge difference between the two.
    CnConrad said:

The real question is whether they use Atilla Friendly fire or Rome 2 friendly fire.

I actually didnt play rome 2. Theres a difference? Any one care to shed some light?
  • ShintaiShintai Member Registered Users Posts: 117
    Its easy to shoot over dwarves >:)
    i7 6700K, MZI Z170I Gaming AC Pro, Crucial 2x8GB 2400Mhz, MSI GTX 1080.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,197
    edited May 2016

CnConrad said:

I actually didnt play rome 2. Theres a difference? Any one care to shed some light?
    In Rome 2 you could put your slingers behind your main line after the battle engaged they would cause 75% enemy casualties and 25%friendly.

In Attila it is the opposite if you fire into the backs of your men while they are fighting they die by the droves
    CnConrad said:

CnConrad said:

In Rome 2 you could put your slingers behind your main line after the battle engaged they would cause 75% enemy casualties and 25%friendly.

In Attila it is the opposite if you fire into the backs of your men while they are fighting they die by the droves
    Ahhhh i see :) Thank you! ^^
  • AinadakAinadak Registered Users Posts: 10
    In the video of chaos vs. empire in the frozen wasteland they mention this issue. Archaon (at least I think it was him) was surrounded by empire troops and then empire artillery fired on him. The player (Darren) said that he shot his own troops and said "woops" or something about it.

People have said (I have no supporting evidence) that all missiles are arc-based, so even gun troops can shoot over friendlies if the arc works out. This supposedly also takes into consideration the size of the enemy, so if you have friendlies standing right in front of you, you can still shoot at giants or flying units, but probably can't fire at goblins.