Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

High King Edition thoughts

_Riven_Riven Junior MemberPosts: 32Registered Users
To start off, I am really liking my High King edition pack.
The ring is cool, the horn is a winner as is the box design with it's books.
The map feels a bit cheap so think I won't bother putting it up on the wall as was my original plan.

Not keen on the whetstone pendant though.
The pendant is only 2.5cm x 5.5cm and is very smooth unlike a lot of other sharpening stones I have used and feels kind of like plastic/hard candle wax...?
I understand that it is more of an ornament than a daily tool but I put a knife to it and gently started to run it back and forth and the knife started to scrape off what I assume is a layer of paint which gives it the speckled look - maybe the whetstone is under this layer?

I've just checked and the HK pre-order sheet does say: "Slayer’s Whetstone Pendant: Made of genuine, functional whetstone..." and as for being "hefty", nope the ring feels heavier.
The picture on the pre-order page shows a (scaled?) rough hunk of stone ready to put an edge to a blade, my 11 year old daughter said it looked cute and immediately put the necklace on and wants to keep it.

You can see in the photo when I hold it to the light how smooth it is.

I have proper sharpening stones already but was hoping this stone would be a useful addition, think I'll just pretend it is not a sharpening stone and just a Warhammer themed decorative necklace... for my daughter...

Other than the pendant it's a great pack and glad I purchased it.
I hope every other HK owner is as happy with theirs :smile:

Comments

• tewys2tewys2 Junior Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    would be nice to get it
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Posts: 3,031Registered Users
    @_Riven Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the High King Edition! =)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • _Riven_Riven Junior Member Posts: 32Registered Users
    Feel sorry for everyone that doesn't have their pack yet, but the pack is worth the wait... as long as the pendant isn't a big concern for you of course.
    No worries Charlotte, I'm happy with the purchase and hopefully once everyone else receives theirs they will be too.
    Can't wait for the new rubber smell to leave the horn so I can properly enjoy it. The instructions say that it will go once left in the open air so as long as it is good to go tomorrow when the game is ready I'll be happy.

Wasn't expecting a reply when I made the post but seeing as though you're here, is the pendant real whetstone? Someone in the warehouse didn't swap out my stone for a playdough look alike did they? Is there a coloured coating on top of the whetstone maybe?
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,051Registered Users
    I kinda like the pendant. If it was any bigger I probably wouldn't wear it as it was be too "in your face".

The ring is also the perfect fiddle thing for when I'm cogitating my conquest (or demise). Fits me perfectly.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Posts: 3,031Registered Users
    @_Riven I've Just had a test of my own at my desk! *took a Warhammer Scalpel to it!

It is a real Whetstone, the coating will come of as its fresh, but it definitely will sharpen your blade =)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    The ring temped me towards the HK edition, but in the end I put the money towards a new computer instead. ^^
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    Cheers @CharlotteB CA good to know.
    Might just keep it as ornamental anyway :smile:

Thanks for testing too :wink:
  • TubbsdekaTubbsdeka Posts: 144Registered Users
    How many ounces is the horn if you don't mind my asking? It looks 16-18 ounces at a glance but I'm probably wrong :*
    Tubbsdeka said:

How many ounces is the horn if you don't mind my asking? It looks 16-18 ounces at a glance but I'm probably wrong :*

A pint.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights

Tubbsdeka said:

A pint.
    Is that an Imperial pint (20 oz) or a US pint (16oz)? I'd guess Imperial.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

Tubbsdeka said:

A pint.
    Is that an Imperial pint (20 oz) or a US pint (16oz)? I'd guess Imperial.

It's an English company so I would assume Imperial.
  • RossRodmanRossRodman Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am in the US and have not received a fedex shipping notification yet. Will the HKE still be delivered tomorrow?
  • mitchca26mitchca26 Posts: 13Registered Users
    @RossRodman CA saying you need to contact Koch Media, [email protected]
    Motherboard: MSI x350 gaming pro carbon
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.9ghz
    GPU: RX 480 8gb
    Net: 76/20Mb
    RAM: 16 Gb DDR4 Ram running at 2933 atm
    Windows 10 64bit
  • RossRodmanRossRodman Posts: 2Registered Users
    mitchca said:

@RossRodman CA saying you need to contact Koch Media, [email protected]

I emailed them yesterday and got an automated message saying that they are out of the office until wed the 25th, and ill get an email from fedex when it is despatched. I guess i will cross my fingers and see.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Member BrittonisPosts: 360Registered Users
    @_Riven Any chance of a photo of the canvas map as it was never really shown in the promos, thanks. Is the strategy booklet any use?
    Just left for work but I'll take a photo and post it tonight for you.
    Strategy book I am reading on the train now, good tips on early, mid and late game units as well as race strengths and weaknesses. Just started reading it though.
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,161Registered Users
    loving the HKE, wish the stuff was usable though, the mead horn will get moldy with that soft inner lining and the stone doesn't seem usable.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • NerfTheGoatsNerfTheGoats KernowPosts: 77Registered Users
    _Riven said:

Can't wait for the new rubber smell to leave the horn so I can properly enjoy it. The instructions say that it will go once left in the open air so as long as it is good to go tomorrow when the game is ready I'll be happy.

Vinegar dude. I put vinegar in mine. Then used washing liquid to rid it of vinegar smell. Crisp Cornish cloudy now tastes completely rubber free.

P.S. Yes I made the mistake of quick washing it and spat rubber cider everywhere....
    Team Lizardmen
    Good tip thanks @NerfTheGoats
    The instructions said to just leave it for a time and the smell will get taken away with the air, but I want to use it now... Plenty of vinegar at home so it will get it's first use tonight :wink:

@Gwydion I thought the same thing about the whetstone but @CharlotteB CA did some testing with hers and said that it just has a soft coating on the outside which comes away revealing the stone. I will be keeping mine as it is though.
    @Astraeus did you still want a picture of the map or do you have your copy now? I would have taken a picture and posted earlier but I was busy... still am to be honest, it's going to be a rough morning tomorrow. Let me know if you want a photo or not.
    _Riven said:

@Astraeus did you still want a picture of the map or do you have your copy now? I would have taken a picture and posted earlier but I was busy... still am to be honest, it's going to be a rough morning tomorrow. Let me know if you want a photo or not.

No rush, weekend would be fine, but yes I would still like to see a close up photo if possible mate. I missed out on the HKE by mere days :/
    Not a worry @Astraeus I don't mind sharing the new shiny :smile:

• englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,953Registered Users
    It's absolutely fantastic, love the horn, ring and everything in it, thought Art Book will be bigger tbh but still nice artworks, love it!
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • NerfTheGoatsNerfTheGoats KernowPosts: 77Registered Users
    WARNING ALL HKE BUYERS: Dont put the ring on unless you know it will come off again easy. The spinner in the middle makes it impossible to get off if you have wide knuckles
    Team Lizardmen
  • biohazardbgrbiohazardbgr Senior Member Posts: 370Registered Users
    My HK edition will travel minimum 2 weeks and I cant play the game. I saw CA send keys to HK owners so they can play on the release date but when i ask them they ignored me so i pay for the game and cant play it for so long great.
    @_Riven Thanks! The map and the artworks are awesome! :)
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKPosts: 5,394Registered Users
    horn is bigger than expected banana for scale:

everything is well made, map is a bit smaller than I hoped.

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King